Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wax Tadpole
Jan 23, 2004

Oh man, thanks for creating this thread! This is right up my alley.

I have actually been spending the last few years building up a collection of these. The collection also includes toys taken off the market due to unforeseen circumstances (mostly sexual innuendo).

Here are a few pictures:

Bat Hero, Robert Cop, ET Finger Light, Lion King Topper

Super Thomas and Titanic-Bot

Snake Wranglin Tarzan, Batman R2-D2, Little Pluckies Ninja Protects, and the infamous Batman Watergun

If you want me to take any further detailed pictures of what I have, or have any specific questions about any of the collection so far, feel free to ask!

Also I am still searching for the holy grail to my collection:

This guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wax Tadpole
Jan 23, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

What's the Lion King topper?

The Lion King Topper was hard to track down. I had thought it was a happy meal toy or something, but it turned out to be a topper for a tube of smarties.

Also, yeah those McDonald changeables are dumb as hell and deserve to be in the collection.

Wax Tadpole has a new favorite as of 05:23 on Aug 9, 2016

Wax Tadpole
Jan 23, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

If "looks likes the character is jerking off" is a big thing with collectors I think nearly all of my old Kenner Jedi action figures fit the bill

Well, what I appreciate as a collector is that their is a story behind the piece. It just so happens with all of the recalled items I currently have, their was something pervy going on there. Though most toys are recalled for similar reasons, the history of the public becoming so unhinged by something so dumb is what interests me. And the act to have those items removed from the shelves entirely adds to their value as a result. But in a similar vein I am currently looking to acquire a Michael Graves Hitler Teapot, so its not always because it looks like they're jerking off.

Elsa posted:

actually I recognized the value of the glass mugs and preferred those over the toys even as a kid

It's funny that you mention this.

My wife made me stop because we were running out of room for normal adult glasses.

Wax Tadpole
Jan 23, 2004

So I was able to pick up a "Nightmare Feddy" recently at a reasonable price. It makes a nice addition to the collection I have so far.

Im still on the hunt for "Star Knight" (Darth Vader on A Police Bike).
It's pretty rare to see them, and when you do people are usually asking outrageous prices.

Wax Tadpole has a new favorite as of 03:29 on Oct 20, 2017

Wax Tadpole
Jan 23, 2004

There are 3 items at the top of my need list right now.

- Star Knight

https://i.imgur.com/Iofz0Bg.jpg

- Specialman

https://i.imgur.com/0USfSeX.jpg

- Evil Stick

https://i.imgur.com/2vVT0kn.jpg

But man, I want one of those Amusing Ducks now.

Wax Tadpole
Jan 23, 2004

I just added this bad girl to my collection.

And just to give everyone an update on what else I've got cooking.

Bat Hero, Rad Repeatin Tarzan, Bat-R2-D2, Lion King Smartees Topper

Super Thomas, E.T. Finger Light, Nightmare Feddy, Robert Cop

Ninja Hero Rider

Titanic-Bot, Batman Water Gun, Little Pluckies Ninja Protects

It's getting a lot more difficult and expensive to track this stuff down as opposed to around 5 years ago when I first started.

Wax Tadpole
Jan 23, 2004

Snowy posted:

Yeah I’m pretty sure that’s a purposefully kitschy toy, not what you’d maybe normally consider a bootleg.

I want to say I first saw a picture of the Titanic-Bot shortly after the movie came out. It was made by a company called Flying Dragon Toys in China, so it would make sense that they were just trying to capitalize on the movie craze.

It’s a first edition with the motor.

An Instagram account “uglybootlegs” that I follow just happened to put the Mr. T Mighty Car up for sale, so I leapt at the chance and got lucky.

Wax Tadpole has a new favorite as of 17:38 on Oct 18, 2018

Wax Tadpole
Jan 23, 2004

Aleph Null posted:

Please post a close-up of Ninja Hero Rider's face.

Wax Tadpole
Jan 23, 2004

After nearly a decade of searching, I was finally able to get my hands on "Star Knight". I finally feel like I have a complete collection.

New Family Photo:

Wax Tadpole
Jan 23, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

drat, how much did each of those run you? I've only got the titanicbot and transformable tomas(on card).

I think I started collecting a long time ago before sellers started catching on, so it didnt set me too far back. (for example, I think I originally paid around 30$ for Robert Cop) But as time goes on it has definitely gotten a lot more popular, expensive, and difficult.

Also related to Robert Cop, the version posted on the previous page was an homage created by the artist Brad McGinty. You can see the same logo used here: https://glorpgum.com/products/robert-cop-2-t-shirt?_pos=1&_sid=f9cbcf16b&_ss=r&variant=1660704961

Wax Tadpole has a new favorite as of 06:15 on Jan 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wax Tadpole
Jan 23, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

What, no Lay-egg-is-true duck?

I have the draw the line somewhere sir!

Admittedly though I'm still itching for an Evil Stick.