Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Problem description: I bought an album as a physical CD and tried to import it into my computer using iTunes. It would get stuck partway through the first track, making a nasty grinding sound. After a few attempts I gave up, but figured I would try importing it on my wife's computer. It imported fine on hers, and the album plays without any problems. I put the files on a flash drive and transferred them to my own computer. When I tried to play these files on my own computer, the sound was distorted and would skip. My next move was to buy a different version of the album - a reissue with bonus tracks. Tried to import it, and it got stuck on the first track and made the same sound. If I try to play the album directly without importing it, it's all distorted and skippy too. I import albums all the time, and have imported albums since then without any issues. Both CDs are brand new and free of any scratches.

Attempted fixes: Everything I've tried is listed in the description above.

Recent changes: No

--

Operating system: Windows 7 64 bit

System specs: Acer Aspire V3-571G-9435

I have Googled and read the FAQ: It's tough to word for a Google search, but I tried. Also, I didn't see a FAQ stickied in the forum.

While it does suck to not be able to listen to this CD, I'm more bewildered by it than anything. I can't imagine how it's possible for two different versions of a CD to work fine on one computer, not at all on another, and to be the only CDs that have this problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

LargeHadron posted:

I put the files on a flash drive and transferred them to my own computer. When I tried to play these files on my own computer, the sound was distorted and would skip.

What format are the files and what program are you using to play them?

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Zogo posted:

What format are the files and what program are you using to play them?

MP3/iTunes.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

FWIW I also tried playing the CD in Windows Media Player, same issue.

One thing I don't understand though is how MP3 playback relates in any way to CD reading. If it were just the fact that my computer can't import that CD, fine - I would file it away as something about the way the data was recorded on that album is incompatible with my laser for...some reason, whatever. I could live with that. But, MP3 files that work fine on my wife's computer sound distorted and skip when transferred to my own computer? That seems completely unrelated to CD reading, but it only happens with both versions of that one album. It's beyond me.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'm wondering if there's some kind of issue with the iTunes installation on your computer.

I'd try playing the MP3 files using http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

If that doesn't work I'd try ripping them in another format. I haven't used iTunes in a long time so I don't know what formats you can choose from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

Zogo posted:

I'm wondering if there's some kind of issue with the iTunes installation on your computer.

I'd try playing the MP3 files using http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

If that doesn't work I'd try ripping them in another format. I haven't used iTunes in a long time so I don't know what formats you can choose from.

Thanks. Ripping as WAV using my wife's computer, transferring to my computer, then converting to MP3 in iTunes worked. What a pain!

• Locked thread