Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
:siren: IT'S COMING OUT THIS SUNDAYYYYY!!!] :siren:

(On Netflix January 9th!)

I'm excited!!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

DrSunshine posted:

:siren: IT'S COMING OUT THIS SUNDAYYYYY!!!] :siren:

(On Netflix January 9th!)

I'm excited!!

Ooh, where are you seeing that Netflix is releasing it weekly? That's fantastic news if accurate!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

esselfortium posted:

Ooh, where are you seeing that Netflix is releasing it weekly? That's fantastic news if accurate!

that's actually older news than the premiere date, weirdly enough

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-07-04/netflix-to-stream-little-witch-academia-tv-anime-series/.103938

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The thing is, Netflix usually doesn't release its anime weekly, preferring to do it in one batch at the end of the season.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

the question is if it will be simulcast

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

also there were screenings of the first couple episodes and the reaction was good

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

esselfortium posted:

I saw "Netflix" and "1 " "9" at this site: http://tv.littlewitchacademia.jp/onair/

(the streaming-side of the official site)

I cannot read Japanese, but perhaps someone who can could confirm?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
well bing and google both say it's weekly delivery so I trust them

unfortunately I don't have netflix and don't really want to pay $10/mo solely for LWA (plus I bought two copies of LWA1)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The link there goes to Netflix's Japanese site, so it may be JP Netflix.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Waffleman_ posted:

The link there goes to Netflix's Japanese site, so it may be JP Netflix.
Netflix has global distribution rights for it

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I will be pretty happy if they actually do it week to week. And also pretty shocked.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

DrSunshine posted:

I saw "Netflix" and "1 " "9" at this site: http://tv.littlewitchacademia.jp/onair/

(the streaming-side of the official site)

I cannot read Japanese, but perhaps someone who can could confirm?
'Broadcast every Monday, starting 1/9'. So hopefully that's accurate, but I doubt Netflix will confirm before Monday.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I'm so hype

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

a kitten posted:

I will be pretty happy if they actually do it week to week. And also pretty shocked.

Netflix will release it weekly in Japan. For the rest of the world, Netflix will release the whole season at once in Spring.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't know why they're still doing that. It works for their originals and previously aired shows, but anime watchers don't want to binge anime, they want it when it comes out in Japan. It's especially puzzling because they're doing it weekly in Japan, which means they have the capability to do it. All it's doing is costing them money when people resort to piracy.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't know why they're still doing that. It works for their originals and previously aired shows, but anime watchers don't want to binge anime, they want it when it comes out in Japan. It's especially puzzling because they're doing it weekly in Japan, which means they have the capability to do it. All it's doing is costing them money when people resort to piracy.

I don't know all the particulars of the situation, but it could be a "we don't want to rush a translation"-type situation. And given the quality of most simulcasts, I don't really blame them. I'm also not sure how much money it does actually cost them, it may be that there's not many people who don't have a netflix account but would get one if only they simulcasted show X.

Or maybe yeah they just have a flawed understanding of the anime market :shrug:

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Simulcasts are the new speedsubs. There, I said it. :colbert:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You didn't have to pay for speedsubs

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

LWA seems to have a slightly bigger and more mainstream audience than other shows so I don't really think it hurts them in the long run that much

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

You didn't have to pay for speedsubs

Official DVD releases didn't use the speedsubs either.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think that's just their regular policy, and even the most popular anime ever made that netflix has sole distribution rights for probably still wouldn't be popular enough for them to make an exception. the woes of niche markets.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

netflix made new trailer park boys so anything they do is justified in my book

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this looks good

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
It is very good, I suggest watching the original two OVAs

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

eonwe posted:

this looks good

Have you watched the original short? It's on Netflix and other legal places (or wherever).

It's amazing.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

a kitten posted:

Have you watched the original short? It's on Netflix and other legal places (or wherever).

It's amazing.

Nope, but I will tonight!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I will too, because I checked Netflix on a whim earlier and found out they were there.

Also I don't remember if there were any extras on the dvds I haven't watched, I wanna check.

Er, BDs. At least I didn't say beta-Max.

God, can you imagine? In 40 years we'll accidentally say "dvd" and people will look at us like we're senile.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I will too, because I checked Netflix on a whim earlier and found out they were there.

Also I don't remember if there were any extras on the dvds I haven't watched, I wanna check.

Er, BDs. At least I didn't say beta-Max.

God, can you imagine? In 40 years we'll accidentally say "dvd" and people will look at us like we're senile.

In the march of technology, one physical media stands strong

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/dec/06/tables-turned-as-vinyl-records-outsell-digital-in-uk-for-first-time

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Brb guys, watching LWA3 on vinyl from the year 2075. :dukedog:

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I imported anime on laserdisc back in the day.

But don't worry; when you get really old no one listens to you anyway.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, they shouldn't.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Just watched both again.

I totally forgot about the trash can in ova 2. That poor thing. Can you imagine being a trash can that wants to carry trash for disposal, but not having any arms? It looked so dejected when Akko missed her shot. It couldn't do anything.

"I have no mouth or arms and I must scream."

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
holy poo poo that was good

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

eonwe posted:

holy poo poo that was good

One thing I love is if you look around the audience at the beginning, Diana is totally there watching the show too.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I know, it's so cute :3:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

a kitten posted:

One thing I love is if you look around the audience at the beginning, Diana is totally there watching the show too.

omg :3:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

LWA OP unleashed.

https://my.mixtape.moe/mhewrz.mp4

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Sounds cute, not sure if I was supposed to get a visual with it, but I didn't.
Not the best OP ever, but still good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Huh, works on my end, try this though:

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/818117401040416768

• Locked thread