Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Malloc Voidstar posted:

I don't understand how Netflix only wants to release anime when it's done airing but also can't be bothered to release an entire season at once

It's really bizzare. It's the worst of both worlds - you don't get to follow the conversation around the show "live" but releasing a single cour then waiting several months for the second isn't friendly to binge-watchers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, like I said earlier in the chat thread, they're having four different dubs recorded for this, so even if they had released it all at once, it probably wouldn't have come out until now anyway.

Not that Netflix isn't stupid, but just where they're coming from with this.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh my god episode 12. This is the most awkward thing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So Netflix put the rest of the show up and oh my god I love Croix already.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

So Netflix put the rest of the show up and oh my god I love Croix already.

Ah, have you seen the Dub version? How's she in that one? Based on the mixed reactions to the dub, I've been sort of staying away.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The dub is good and dub Croix is good. If anything, the translation the dub uses is better than the in-house subs Netflix did.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

So I've been watching the dub version on Netflix, did anyone else think that the episodes 1-13 themes were much better than 14-26?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Malloc Voidstar posted:

I don't understand how Netflix only wants to release anime when it's done airing but also can't be bothered to release an entire season at once

There's probably some weird metric they've scrounged up that tells them that this is the optimal way of doing it (despite it being clearly not the case) that executives insist has to be abided by.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's probably something like they demand to have X new content releases per month or whatever, so if they split a show like this up into multiple "seasons" with a delay between them it gets to be flashed around as new content multiple times. :shrug:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ibblebibble posted:

So I've been watching the dub version on Netflix, did anyone else think that the episodes 1-13 themes were much better than 14-26?

I suppose that depends on whether you prefer whimsical episodic shorts or a longer story.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

I suppose that depends on whether you prefer whimsical episodic shorts or a longer story.

Nah I meant the actual opening/closing themes. I just found the first ones to be catchier.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i liked boooth

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I love Mind Conductor a lot, so I disagree in this case.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
also i still feel bad that ako got her witch powers sucked out by shiny chariot

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
wtf is trigger working on now

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Their next projects are an anime based on the clasic tokusatsu Gridman, a collboration with A-1 called Darling in the FrankXX, and a new Imaishi joint called Promare.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Just finished marathonning the back half of the show and it was very good. I think it suffers from some pacing issues where the first half is wacky episodic adventures and the back half is suddenly plot plot plot. Like, maybe have Akko start searching for the words as a side project in the first half instead of having her get obsessed with them in the back half and make them the focus of a bunch of episodes when other characters are trying to have stories (I'm thinking specifically of the Amanda episode where none of the other characters in the episode really care about the words but Akko won't shut up about finding the word). Also it's kind of a shame that the first half of the show is all about Akko developing a strong friendship with her roomies and then Lotte and Sucy really get shoved into the back of the show in the second half so Akko can go word-searching and develop Diana/Constanze/every other character.

Also despite the finale having one of my favorite uses of the "use the OP as the background music for a climactic moment" trope in any recent show I've seen, I'm bummed by how little every other character factored into the finale. Like, they all did their little thing in the multi-stage rocket broom, but they're all witches with neat unique tricks (or fighting styles I guess you could call it? well okay maybe not Jasminka since she doesn't do much as a gag character) and it would've been neat to have them also fight the magic missile (or Croix's giant robot monster) instead of just helping Akko/Diana go fast and save the day. Also also, when the Shiny Rod started disappearing all I could think was "Well that sucks for Akko, learning all those words/spells and now being unable to use them anymore!"

Still though, a very sweet show and I wish there were more like it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I love that this show has an episode where a yeti is sad because he got trolled online.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

I love that this show has an episode where a yeti is sad because he got trolled online.

Don't forget that the villain's giant robot is powered by the rage people feel when she posts inflammatory YouTube vids.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 16, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

THIS EPISODE HAS BOYS, GROSS.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
:agreed:

but Amanda dressed as a boy makes up for it

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I just finished watching the second half and drat that theme tune climax.

Also everyone's favourite Shooting Star came back and I'm so happy. :toot:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I think it's too bad that Andrew's buddy and Lotte never did go on a date. They would have been cute!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I would watch that spinoff.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
What's interesting me is one of the giant TVs that was taken over by Croix (does anyone else kinda want to keep calling her Crwah?) to show the plight of the girls. It looked like a promotional image for a yaoi (one guy pulling on another, smaller, guys' tie, with a blush and slightly alarmed expression on said smaller guy's face). Is that a reference to something?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

How the gently caress did Constanze build an entire lab under her bed.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Carefully.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

What's interesting me is one of the giant TVs that was taken over by Croix (does anyone else kinda want to keep calling her Crwah?) to show the plight of the girls. It looked like a promotional image for a yaoi (one guy pulling on another, smaller, guys' tie, with a blush and slightly alarmed expression on said smaller guy's face). Is that a reference to something?

It's just a generic Boys' Love series. Japanese media gets that kind of public advertisement all the time.

The fact that it switched from a show about a romance between two guys to Diana and Akko didn't go unnoticed by fans of that pairing, though.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
GAY ALERT
GAY ALERT

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

How the gently caress did Constanze build an entire lab under her bed.

Magic.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

...and robots. Probably magic robots, really.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'm catching up on the new episodes that got added to Netflix recently. The fairy union episode is absolutely amazing. :allears:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Finished bingeing season 2 on Netflix. Love the show, but I agree it suffers from pacing issues. The first half is mostly disjointed slice of life while the second half being intense, serious plot. Lotte and Sucy become mostly background characters, and even Diana gets shifted away from the spotlight until her mini-arc. Would have been better if they mixed it up, introduced Croix earlier and had some more goofy episodes near the end (beyond Tengen Toppa Dexter's Laboratory)

The first couple episodes also suffer from the same thing that Dragonball Super suffered from, where I'm watching something I'd already seen done before better (namely Akko finding the Shiny Rod and meeting Amanda/Jasminka/Constanze Amalie von Braunschbank Albrechtsberger in the original Little Witch Academia and The Enchanted Parade). I get why they established a new continuity though, since it would be a hassle to fit in the OAV events in with the TV story they wanted to tell.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ammat The Ankh posted:

The first couple episodes also suffer from the same thing that Dragonball Super suffered from, where I'm watching something I'd already seen done before better (namely Akko finding the Shiny Rod and meeting Amanda/Jasminka/Constanze Amalie von Braunschbank Albrechtsberger in the original Little Witch Academia and The Enchanted Parade). I get why they established a new continuity though, since it would be a hassle to fit in the OAV events in with the TV story they wanted to tell.

I feel the opposite, I think it's good/important that Akko is sort of found worthy of and/or chosen by the Shiny Rod rather than being some superpowerful Macguffin-thing she just randomly stumbles on to in a dungeon, like anyone could. Agreed all the way about pacing issues though. Sucks that Sucy (and Lotte I guess) got turned into almost a background character in the back half.

e: VVV Fair enough.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 26, 2017

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

TwoPair posted:

I feel the opposite, I think it's good/important that Akko is sort of found worthy of and/or chosen by the Shiny Rod rather than being some superpowerful Macguffin-thing she just randomly stumbles on to in a dungeon, like anyone could. Agreed all the way about pacing issues though. Sucks that Sucy (and Lotte I guess) got turned into almost a background character in the back half.

But it's funny to me that Akko literally finds the Shiny Rod in the trash.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I met Akko at Matsuricon!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

I met Akko at Matsuricon!

That's super cute! :swoon:

Now, I know that the nendo exists, but I still want Max Factory to start putting out LWA figmas. I would buy an adorable Akko or Sucy in a heartbeat!

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Megumi Han seems to be an adorable sweetheart.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Negrostrike posted:

Megumi Han seems to be an adorable sweetheart.

This was Erica Mendez.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Even so, I'm basing on someone who got an autograph from her back during the OVA days.

According to the guy, she voiced one of the protagonists of The Last of Us in the Japanese dub and she received a rare artbook before this autograph. She was so happy she was crying apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

• Locked thread