Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Apparently the voice actor for the magical item shop owner is also the dubber for Chumlee in the japanese dub of Pawn Stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
That is an unusual reference for them to make, but I like it. Meanwhile:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Creamed Cormp posted:

Apparently the voice actor for the magical item shop owner is also the dubber for Chumlee in the japanese dub of Pawn Stars

:stare:

Wow. I didn't put that together.

That is great.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

Interesting.

I always kinda assumed that Professor Ursula was, well, the default look. She was a witch who put on this big act to inspire kids into magic as a career (and maybe take care of some problems on the side without raising a fuss), and then put things away once she couldn't hack it any more for one reason or another.

But that picture pretty clearly shows she was the same Shiny Chariot back in her school days. It could just be the magic community being tired of her poo poo and her making a fake identity just to hide away... but I kind of wonder if there's more going on here.

Were there names under the picture (like you'd expect in a normal school)? Akko didn't read them, but that would be an easy way to find out whether "[firstname] Ursula" is actually her real name.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Ahh, I just watched it. Somehow I feel like I rediscover the magic of animation every time I watch this show. It purifies my heart!

Akko is just an uncontrollable spaz isn't she? Haha! She's so hyper! I get the sense that if anyone eventually ends up doing the "Gunbuster pose" it'll be her. (I really hope this happens)

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

:stare:

Wow. I didn't put that together.

That is great.

Tbqh neither did I, I just read a post on tumblr

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

That is amazing.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

One of the animators.

https://twitter.com/alanrustynuts/status/823434123628814336

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This show is clearly a labor of love. It's so simple yet executed so well.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is really good but it really does seem to be aimed for a younger crowd so far than usual.

Which is fine, but whoever said it seems to be for little kids doesn't seem to be all that wrong IMO

If they manage to avoid any stupid fanservice or get too anime and gets a non-obnoxious dub I'll buy it for my niece, or recommend it if it comes to US Netflix.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Fabricated posted:

This is really good but it really does seem to be aimed for a younger crowd so far than usual.

Which is fine, but whoever said it seems to be for little kids doesn't seem to be all that wrong IMO

If they manage to avoid any stupid fanservice or get too anime and gets a non-obnoxious dub I'll buy it for my niece, or recommend it if it comes to US Netflix.

I'm preparing myself for the big twist where Lotte snaps and burns down the entire school.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

There Bias Two posted:

I'm preparing myself for the big twist where Lotte snaps and burns down the entire school starts to sing in public.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Ahh, I just watched it. Somehow I feel like I rediscover the magic of animation every time I watch this show. It purifies my heart!

That's what I like the most about the series. It really is just the pure joy of animation. I was laughing all the way through the last third because of how well-drawn and executed the physical comedy was. It's staggeringly rare to find a show these days that makes me feel plain good watching it.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
All of Sucy's cheating, and Amanda's the one that gets disqualified in part because of Sucy's cheating! :laugh:

Along with everything else in this episode, they did a particularly good job animating and voicing the announcer.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Command Ant posted:

All of Sucy's cheating, and Amanda's the one that gets disqualified in part because of Sucy's cheating! :laugh:

Along with everything else in this episode, they did a particularly good job animating and voicing the announcer.

Along the same lines, though, Akko's "ribbit ribbit" song was the most adorable goddamn thing. :allears:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Those fat jokes were so shameless I couldn't help but find them funny.

Introducing a new character! She is never seen without chips or donuts in her hands!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Command Ant posted:

You say cheating, I say full use of a witch's skillset.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You say cheating, I say full use of a witch's skillset.

The frog-potion thing in particular strikes me as the kind of thing which isn't technically against any of the rules, mostly because it's so out there that it never occurred to anyone at the school to make a rule against it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's sort of surprising that none of the other teams tried to cheat, given how lax the school seems to be on using magic on each other.

Diana seriously needs better friends. Those girls are the worst.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Fangz posted:

It's sort of surprising that none of the other teams tried to cheat, given how lax the school seems to be on using magic on each other.

Diana seriously needs better friends. Those girls are the worst.

Diana doesn't seem to care about them. Probably they're just her roommates by chance and she has to roll with it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

She's definitely had more good things to say about Akko than either of them.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Show good

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Tenebrais posted:

She's definitely had more good things to say about Akko than either of them.

I like this a lot.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Diana being the reluctant rival is such a great change in characterization.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

nooo lotte don't read not-twilight

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I was expecting one of the professors to either end up being greatben810 or Annabelle but I wasn't expecting it to be that particular professor

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I laughed.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
Man, Akko can be such a butt sometimes.

Having finished the episode at the least she's a somewhat repentant butt

Kibibit fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 30, 2017

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Kids are really getting into advanced teasing techniques so early these days.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Aurora posted:

nooo lotte don't read not-twilight

This whole episode was deliciously meta.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kibibit posted:

Man, Akko can be such a butt sometimes.

Having finished the episode at the least she's a somewhat repentant butt

Akko is thoughtless.

She just charges into things with no idea why she might cause harm, and keeps going on sheer enthusiasm unless someone specifically points out how what she did hurts someone.

Once she finds out what she did was wrong she's willing to put quite a bit of effort into making things right, but she's not going to notice anything on her own.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Akko is pure id. Absolutely no trace of ego and superego at all.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm glad they decided that instead of lotte being bland they'd make her a dirty fujoshi

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

It's hilarious to watch Akko's reaction to someone else fangirling over something she's pretty neutral towards. Also yeah, Lotte focused episode is nice.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That was just silly

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Akko is thoughtless.

She just charges into things with no idea why she might cause harm, and keeps going on sheer enthusiasm unless someone specifically points out how what she did hurts someone.

Once she finds out what she did was wrong she's willing to put quite a bit of effort into making things right, but she's not going to notice anything on her own.

What you're saying is that she's Luffy.

This was a pretty great episode. Lotte was a bit bland in the OVAs, so it's great that she's got her own interests and habits. I like that all the details make it clear that they're in an English-speaking setting. Someone on staff must speak English pretty well, because all the lines of not-Twilight and Lotte's witchy IM were all in pretty standard English.

Also, who noticed that Not-Twilight is apparently just the hugest Fanfiction.org saga ever? All the wacky details about the story that Lotte mentioned!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

DrSunshine posted:

This was a pretty great episode. Lotte was a bit bland in the OVAs, so it's great that she's got her own interests and habits. I like that all the details make it clear that they're in an English-speaking setting. Someone on staff must speak English pretty well, because all the lines of not-Twilight and Lotte's witchy IM were all in pretty standard English.

Also, who noticed that Not-Twilight is apparently just the hugest Fanfiction.org saga ever? All the wacky details about the story that Lotte mentioned!

I give it a month before someone starts publishing it somewhere.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

I cracked up every time more of the dumb plots got revealed, it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

hoobajoo posted:

I cracked up every time more of the dumb plots got revealed, it was great.

It seems like it's got everything! I wonder how odd it must be to start at the beginning of the novel, though? If it started 120 years ago, they'd have been in a Victorian-era setting to start with and then progress to the modern day as each new successor took the pen.

• Locked thread