Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Darth Walrus posted:

And also coming from a very powerful, very influential, and very different magical legacy herself, I guess. I mean, her performance this episode put forward a pretty compelling case for 'our way is best' (before she got shown up, of course, but even that doesn't exactly negate her power, knowledge, and talent).

She's wrong, but she's wrong for pretty reasonable reasons.

Yeah, it's not hard to see things from her side considering that this school expects a certain basic level of knowledge in the subjects when Akko doesn't even know that magic is hard. To an outward observer, she seems like someone who got it by accident and will wash out in the first semester when they find out what work at the school is really like. She, being someone who likely has worked hard, feels no reason to hide her feelings--but does feel a certain level of disgust or is unsettled by the bullying behavior of her sycophants. And she is certainly unsettled by unwarranted praise (further evidence of her work ethic and how much she values hard work).

I found it interesting how she never mentioned her family history--only her sycophants did.

Also the animation is top-notch. What, did Netflix throw OVA money at Trigger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
And while she wasn't able to get the Black Lotus she was able to get all the other super premium cards when they were all hoooooot poo poo. I think Akko turning out to be loaded would be a funny twist.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Malloc Voidstar posted:

https://twitter.com/Trigger_Tattun does the show's English text translating.
(nsfw in current first tweet's link)

Also, here's a good essay about the show and lowbrow influences: https://formeinfullbloom.wordpress.com/2017/01/30/indulging-our-lowbrow-influences-little-witch-academia/

This is what I really liked about the episode. In any other show the novels written by the magic pen would be MASTERPIECES. Instead, it just insures that there's always a place in the world for mediocre YA books that nonetheless serve to inspire budding literature and writing enthusiasts.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Is it true that Bella breaks her back giving birth or did I get meme'd on?

Yeah, baby:drac: kills her.

But don't worry, she gets better.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Spiritus Nox posted:

Good episode tonight. Still wish Akko would improve a bit faster, but this episode was a good step forward.

Also, man, gently caress all these non-Ursula teachers. How the hell does Akko even get into a class you need to be an advanced fish linguist to participate in?

This is a really bad school.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

chiasaur11 posted:

Among other things. Sucy contains multitudes.

Including at least one part of her that wants to smooch Akko. Those are the parts she brutally murders.

Or maybe it's the part of her that wants to angrily defend her shipping in her favorite shows.

But given how they implied that this is part of the mental, social, and emotional growth of a teen like Sucy...a crush is more likely :3:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

paragon1 posted:

I was not expecting, of all things, a Dexter's Laboratory reference.

People at Trigger love Tartakovsky.

After all, most of the people behind Panty & Stocking are now at Trigger...Imaishi, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Squidster posted:

I think it'd be interesting if the 7 stars correspond to lessons Akko has to learn to become the adult ready to save the world. The first seems to have been ignited by her pure-hearted wonder at magic, and the second by her choosing to not sacrifice herself in pursuit of her dreams. I'm definitely curious what lesson Ursula failed at.

I'm guessing...whatever hosed up the moon.

Did you notice how the drawing of the moon on the Blue Moon card is unscarred? Maybe between the time of printing and now, it got that big star mark--and maybe that has to do with why Shiny Chariot is lying low.

• Locked thread