Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

While I like the episode, I hope the series doesn't turn into her resolving every problem with the Shiny Rod suddenly coming to life at the end of every episode.

But the atmosphere is so warm and fuzzy that I'm sure I'll love it regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mokinokaro posted:

It is. So far all we've seen has been lorem ipsum though

Do the Japanese also use Lorem Ipsum or do they have their own version?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Fangz posted:

The thing that confuses me right now is *why* the headmaster would make an exception for Akko and admit her to the school.

Maybe a special education quota needed to be met?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Command Ant posted:

They're at least well-off enough to afford tickets to a Shiny Chariot performance, and that did not look like the kind of show where the tickets are cheap.

Not to mention well off enough to send her to magic school, which doesn't seem to be a universally respected vocation. They're basically paying for a liberal arts degree here.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

ViggyNash posted:

It spends its sweet time overstating every single sentiment a character has about a situation by having characters literally overstate it (sometimes having multiple characters restate the same sentiment unecessarily), even though it's usually a single straightforward and simple to understand perspective. The show hammers you over the head with the simplest of concepts about the characters and their relationships, just in case someone out there was not mentally capable of understanding those basic ideas the first time around.

Maybe the target audience is just people with autism.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This show is clearly a labor of love. It's so simple yet executed so well.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Fabricated posted:

This is really good but it really does seem to be aimed for a younger crowd so far than usual.

Which is fine, but whoever said it seems to be for little kids doesn't seem to be all that wrong IMO

If they manage to avoid any stupid fanservice or get too anime and gets a non-obnoxious dub I'll buy it for my niece, or recommend it if it comes to US Netflix.

I'm preparing myself for the big twist where Lotte snaps and burns down the entire school.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

DrSunshine posted:

What you're saying is that she's Luffy.

This was a pretty great episode. Lotte was a bit bland in the OVAs, so it's great that she's got her own interests and habits. I like that all the details make it clear that they're in an English-speaking setting. Someone on staff must speak English pretty well, because all the lines of not-Twilight and Lotte's witchy IM were all in pretty standard English.

Also, who noticed that Not-Twilight is apparently just the hugest Fanfiction.org saga ever? All the wacky details about the story that Lotte mentioned!

I give it a month before someone starts publishing it somewhere.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

El Burbo posted:

I like how the traditional gold-hoarding dragons have adapted to modern times. Now they watch the stock market all day.

Do you have any idea how uncomfortable it is to sleep on that pile of gold and jewels? Putting a stock portfolio under your pillow is much more convenient.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

OddObserver posted:

I hope at some point someone in faculty other than Ursula will realize that they can't exactly expect Akko to keep up with those that have been doing this stuff since they were kids w/o extra help...

It was one of the other faculty that recommended Ursula teach her in the first place.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wait, something just clicked for me.

Akko mentioned when she was practicing that she has to clearly visualize what she wants something to transform into.

She gave the guy donkey ears and a tail, meaning she thought he was a jackass.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

No Shiny Rod? :(

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I foresee Akko gaining a little bit of competence just in time for Luna Nova to shut down halfway through the season. Diana said Akko would be leaving the school, and everyone assumes that meant she would be expelled.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I think the fact that she came out of that adventure suddenly able to understand fish hints at her underlying talent.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Rodyle posted:

Imaishi's episode will almost certainly be the one that everyone skips on rewatches, and tells new viewers not to look at

But Imaishi's work is pretty great. I doubt it will be bad.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Qwertycoatl posted:

Akko dies after she runs off on her own to fight a troll, Diana has to salvage the Shiny Rod from her corpse and save the school.

I like it!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Futaba Anzu posted:

i cant believe imaishi is going to literally kill sucy
https://twitter.com/LWA_jp/status/835078160655908864

This seems appropriate for Sucy's character though. She's always been the macabre one of the three.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

That was a fantastic episode. Hardly the flop everyone was anticipating.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Fabricated posted:

lol

My brother keeps looking for stuff for his daughter to watch that isn't the same 3 disney movies on loop and if this stays not...as anime as most anime I'd recommend it but she's probably too young to get most of this stuff. Hopefully it gets dubbed- maybe in a year or two.

Yeah, I agree that this could easily be a hit among fans of Western animation as it is right now.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

DrSunshine posted:

Man it was practically these folks who made LWA what it is today! When the original short was released I think it did OK in Japan but super caught fire among Western fans, who ended up being the ones who funded the second OVA's kickstarter. I think that's why it feels so familiar and good, they're making it (in a certain sense, in some ways) for us, it's a love-letter to Western animation and pop culture.

I very much like it for what it is. Some people are expecting a grand overarching adventure, but I can appreciate the daily life at Hogwarts with a bunch of well-intentioned screw-ups route that it's taking instead. The episodic, slapstick comedy is great.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The latest episode was so heartwarming. I don't understand how some can't overlook their characterization when everything is so fun and entertaining.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

LWA would make a fantastic platformer if each of the girls had different abilities.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Fangz posted:

You haven't played Fortune Summoners?

Never heard of it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

good episode, but the bit about diana wondering around reading exposition books without even a flimsy justification was kind of eyeroll worthy

I get the impression that this is the sort of thing Diana does all the time.

It looks like they're setting it up for Akko and Diana to work together to overcome whatever is about to happen. She knows the shiny rod is necessary to complete that ritual. One of those visions looked like faerie creatures angrily protesting about something. So maybe there will be a conflict of some sort involving them that will require the ritual to resolve.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Xelkelvos posted:

One of the visions looked like the staff (the goblins and so forth) going on strike. Another showed the tower surrounded by withered trees.

Maybe we'll have a time skip where the school definitely does shut down and the next arc is about reviving it along with the state of magic in the world

The school will shut down, Diana will join forces with Akko's gang to help complete the ritual and restore magic back to the world. Somewhere along the line we learn how Chariot failed in attempting a similar feat, except Acco will succeed and become more beloved than Chariot.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

El Burbo posted:

Aha, I knew that one girl looked not-generic enough

You mean the one with the purple hair that screams "I'm a relevant character!"?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

What was the weird looking cube thing that Ursula collected in the end? Does she have some sort of ulterior motive for guiding Acco through these tasks?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

TFRazorsaw posted:

wait a loving minute

I noticed that, but I didn't make the connection at the time.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Croix is CGI.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

its awesome! i wonder what the conclusion will be?

"Congratulations!" on a still screen.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Or the rich guy buys them out and they all spend the rest of their lives performing whatever tricks his marketing research says will move the most product.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

DrSunshine posted:

Well, I mean, if Luna Nova is middle school, then she'd have graduated high school in like 2010, which would make her like 24 or 25. That's young, but not crazy young or anything.

Pretty young for an academic faculty position.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

For anyone confused about the pies, they're apparently made of pungent fermented fish.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Xelkelvos posted:

I've not tried surstromming, but I can imagine it's probably a smellier version of Bagoong or some variation thereof. Given that Sucy's Filipino, I'm sure she's tried it and other equally weird Filipino delicacies herself. Say...Balut?

Where was it mentioned that she's Filipino?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Grouchio posted:

We need more Scandinavian based anime with vikings. :black101:

I don't think there are any anime production​ companies run by Vikings in Scandinavia...Yet.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

That was incredible.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Maybe Acco and Connie are huge fans and ripped off the idea intentionally.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Oooohh! What does this button do....?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Xelkelvos posted:

There's also a LotR and a Gulliver's Travels reference.

This episode probably took up as much budget as the finale did I'd wager. I'm guessing the next episode is focused on Jasminka (given the previous two episodes) and may not be as budget intensive becasue of the previous one.

Maybe we'll get a cooking episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nitrousoxide posted:

So, having akko do a bunch of shape shing in one episode made me realize that she's basically using a bunch of classic Disney characters. Mickey Mouse, Dumbo, etc.

You also have the evil stepsisters from Cinderella here too preventing Diana from claiming her rightful place.

Lots of Disney homages.

Not to mention the literal Cinderella magic box that gave her a gown with a time limit.

• Locked thread