Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It's happening, guys!! IIIIIIIIIIIT'S HAPPENNNIINNNNNNNNNNNGGGG

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-06-24/trigger-little-witch-academia-gets-tv-anime-series/.103587

quote:

The official website for Studio Trigger's Little Witch Academia anime project announced on Friday that a television anime series has been green-lit. The anime's Twitter acount asked fans to look forward to a "new Little Witch Academia world!!" Studio Trigger President Masahiko Otsuka said that it will be a 30-minute television series with director Yoh Yoshinari returning. He added that the staff is diving headlong into production at the studio, after passing the baton from the recently concluded Space Patrol Luluco anime.

Yay! :woop:

My expression after seeing this announcement

Use this thread to talk about LWA, the OVAs, get hype for the show which is coming ... sometime... and generally gush about how Trigger is saving anime or somesuch.

Also Sucy is the best girl.

http://i.imgur.com/uolwCTV.mp4

-----------------
Official site: http://littlewitchacademia.jp/

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

If they maintain the quality of the first short for an entire season, I will be thrilled (but also a bit surprised.)

I'm expecting the typical Trigger thing, which means rather cheap animation for a large majority of it, with occasional :vince: moments. The second OVA didn't look as beautiful and fantastically fluid as the original short, so I'm not getting my hopes up. Perhaps KLK-quality is a decent thing to hope for.

Still, it's more the fact of having an actual 24 episode LWA anime that gives me great cheer, than anything else.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

celeron 300a posted:

posting in a dr sunshine thread

Wow!!! How does it feel?

celeron 300a posted:

I've been holding onto the 2nd short on blu-ray but I haven't watched it yet :(

I really hope the new series has every episode like the first short - like the complete opposite of flying witch, with action and explosions and fireworks and eldrich monsters and friendly rivalries and dungeons and treasure and...

I hope it's like, literally Harry Potter. The second episode was okay, but not as good as the first I feel. The animation looks like it's the same budget as the first but stretched out to be twice as long, and Akko just spends the whole episode being really dumb, which is a tad frustrating because it makes the conflict in it seem really contrived.

I'm curious to see what they do with a whole show! Here's hoping they don't make it a whole plot-heavy thing and it's just cute witches doing magic in an episodic way!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Space Dandy but with witches

I never knew how much I wanted this until now.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Dudes, can you imagine what a witchly Sports Festival and Culture Festival would be like?? I bet it'd be awesome!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

Witchly beach episode

Witchly field trip to Kyoto.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

My friend keeps bugging me to watch the original shorts.

You should! It's very sweet and honest, and it has a refreshing and innocent feeling that makes it feel like watching a Western Disney animation.

It's also quite nicely animated.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ah! Trailers! We have trailers!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsVDFa2AUXM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgz2bMz-Zz8

(I'm bad and kind of forgot about this!!)

The new series premieres in January!! Set your calendars!

Anime news Network announcement

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

:siren: IT'S COMING OUT THIS SUNDAYYYYY!!!] :siren:

(On Netflix January 9th!)

I'm excited!!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 6, 2017

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

esselfortium posted:

Ooh, where are you seeing that Netflix is releasing it weekly? That's fantastic news if accurate!

I saw "Netflix" and "1 " "9" at this site: http://tv.littlewitchacademia.jp/onair/

(the streaming-side of the official site)

I cannot read Japanese, but perhaps someone who can could confirm?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Brb guys, watching LWA3 on vinyl from the year 2075. :dukedog:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I watched the first ep. OH WOW THAT WAS FANTASTIC. Cute, fun, beautifully animated, tightly-written and generally all-around wholesome feeling. The animators really put their heart and soul into this show, and it very much shows. Brace for it guys, this is the year Trigger saves anime!

Like I kept looking at the clock and being amazed that it was only 25 minutes, because it felt like a whole hour's worth of show, it was so tightly packed and filled with content. What a fantastic show!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Astro Ambulance posted:

i like that in this, unlike the ovas, akko actually has some use other than "can use the protag-stick"

She does seem to be getting a looooooooooot of mileage out of it, though...

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

I think it probably would have worked normally throughout this episode had Akko been actually casting spells with it instead of just yelling commands.

Also, those little scenes in the ending song :allears:

My fave was the one where they were stopped out on a scenic drive, with some little European car and Akko and the teacher were looking at a roadmap. I feel like I've seen that car before somewhere in an anime -- Castle of Cagliostro perhaps?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, like how as previously mentioned, Diana is less of a popular bully and more a prodigy rival.

E: I also like that the show does this

https://twitter.com/SeHNNG/status/820725167592611840

Oh! I noticed this!!! It's such a good attention to detail -- she does have huge coke-bottle glasses but they're not like attached to her face in a weird way, and she's got actual eyes underneath.

Actually, have you noticed all the backgrounds in the show? They're really quite beautifully drawn.

It's a gorgeous show. :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

It'd be funny if some nonmagical whiz kid built a jetpack to get through the portal. On the other hand, that brings us dangerously close to Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.

EDIT: Or - er - wait, couldn't they just use a ladder or some climbing rope?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Wonderful, I am looking forward to seeing Akko capture the Golden Snitch.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ahh, I just watched it. Somehow I feel like I rediscover the magic of animation every time I watch this show. It purifies my heart!

Akko is just an uncontrollable spaz isn't she? Haha! She's so hyper! I get the sense that if anyone eventually ends up doing the "Gunbuster pose" it'll be her. (I really hope this happens)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Command Ant posted:

All of Sucy's cheating, and Amanda's the one that gets disqualified in part because of Sucy's cheating! :laugh:

Along with everything else in this episode, they did a particularly good job animating and voicing the announcer.

Along the same lines, though, Akko's "ribbit ribbit" song was the most adorable goddamn thing. :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Akko is thoughtless.

She just charges into things with no idea why she might cause harm, and keeps going on sheer enthusiasm unless someone specifically points out how what she did hurts someone.

Once she finds out what she did was wrong she's willing to put quite a bit of effort into making things right, but she's not going to notice anything on her own.

What you're saying is that she's Luffy.

This was a pretty great episode. Lotte was a bit bland in the OVAs, so it's great that she's got her own interests and habits. I like that all the details make it clear that they're in an English-speaking setting. Someone on staff must speak English pretty well, because all the lines of not-Twilight and Lotte's witchy IM were all in pretty standard English.

Also, who noticed that Not-Twilight is apparently just the hugest Fanfiction.org saga ever? All the wacky details about the story that Lotte mentioned!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

hoobajoo posted:

I cracked up every time more of the dumb plots got revealed, it was great.

It seems like it's got everything! I wonder how odd it must be to start at the beginning of the novel, though? If it started 120 years ago, they'd have been in a Victorian-era setting to start with and then progress to the modern day as each new successor took the pen.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

She looked legit young too. I've spent enough time and old enough that I can handle people making GBS threads on my work (not that I have much), she probably not.

Man, she was basically like, what? 7 or 8 years old it looked like. How long could she even have been writing??

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Oh neat! A good read.

Also: oh my god, I just realized that Diana's lackeys, Hannah and Barbara, are references to Hanna-Barbera the animation studio! doy!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Malloc Voidstar posted:

looking forward to seeing constanze cast the best spell of all,

gun

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 3, 2017

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

All available for free at Your Local Library! :haw:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

This morning I realized that Amanda kind of reminded me of someone, and couldn't find any other comparisons online, so here goes...

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Futaba Anzu posted:

Did you draw that, it's pretty good

I did! Amanda is fun to draw!

Torquemadras posted:

Secret highlights:
"Noooo don't eat me I taste awful"
"What, no, I'd never eat a witch, especially not one as grungy as you"
"HOW DARE YOU I'M DELICIOUS"

That, and techno wizard being seriously miffed that her bazooka missed

It's because it's a once-per long rest spell and she just wasted it on a minion without even hitting!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 6, 2017

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

El Burbo posted:

I like how the traditional gold-hoarding dragons have adapted to modern times. Now they watch the stock market all day.

Fafnir is fairly sensible enough, it seems. At least he's not trading bitcoins!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Command Ant posted:

Constanze was my favorite part of this episode, and I really hope we get to see more of her. I'd ask what she's even doing in a magic school to begin with, but then I realize that she's the embodiment of Clarke's third law.

Or, possibly the corollary: "Any sufficiently crude magic is indistinguishable from technology".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Seems very Ghibli to me in a good way for some reason.

I expect Andrew is meant to be a recurring character? I don't get the sense that his arc is complete; but I think he probably had fun adventuring with Akko though right?

I really like how Chariot really is the perfect role model to Akko and was just as much a mess at the start and getting into messes.

The way it showed how Chariot earned her powers through blood, tears, and folly was really nice and a good wake up call for Akko.

It's been annoying me how even though part of her motivations almost begs for her to have an almost Hermione like enthusiasm for magic, she doesn't really take it seriously at all and treats Luna Nova more like a fancy prep middle/high school.

The show is 25 episodes long. Give her time -- Akko's gonna pull a Noriko (Gunbuster) on us, just wait and see. Basically, this first arc was just Akko having to learn that you have to work hard to succeed at your goals, and that awesomeness doesn't just fall in your lap from the get-go. That's going to make it really worth while when she ends up saving the world or something by the end of the series.

That teary-eyed moment at the end of it plucked my heartstrings. Wonderfully animated!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

They did this gag in Kill la Kill!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

She was lookin' kinda dumb with her finger and her thumb in the shape of an 'L' on her forehead...

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Oh. O-...Ohhh!!!! :aaaaa:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Both Akko and Prof. Ursula are cute, and good. Akko's purehearted determination is just so refreshing and always picks me up after a long hard day.

... though I do wish they'd give her a little more depth. The last episode was pretty good, but Akko, I feel, really needs to have a few moments of doubt or reflection or something. Maybe she needs to be faced with how solving every problem by bashing your face against it isn't always the best solution. Something to develop her more as a character than just a hotblooded ball of :ssj: GANBARE!!! :black101:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I like that it actually made a Transformers transformation noise. Good detail. :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

skasion posted:

This episode revealed Akko is surprisingly good at blowing poo poo up, maybe her destiny is to become a battlemage

EXPLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSION! :krad:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

That thief!! This is just gonna be a redux of Corpse Bride!! :argh:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

Yeah, I agree that this could easily be a hit among fans of Western animation as it is right now.

Man it was practically these folks who made LWA what it is today! When the original short was released I think it did OK in Japan but super caught fire among Western fans, who ended up being the ones who funded the second OVA's kickstarter. I think that's why it feels so familiar and good, they're making it (in a certain sense, in some ways) for us, it's a love-letter to Western animation and pop culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I'm not sure about the "No overarching plot" thing. It seems like they've already put a bunch of hints towards an overarching theme -- the theme that Magic is on the decline in the world. It gets reiterated in various ways in almost every episode. From the way the school's unambitious students seem to just aim for low-key, safe professions, the ossified teachers insisting on sticking to traditions, the fact that Muggles look down on magic as archaic and outdated, the crippling inability to use magic outside of the range of the school -- even dragons have given up magic in exchange for trading in stock options! All this seems to be setting up for Akko to bring in some life into this slowly dying magical world and restore some glory back to magic, some joy and optimism back into the idea of ~making your dreams come true~.

• Locked thread