Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Mr. Fowl posted:

And while she wasn't able to get the Black Lotus she was able to get all the other super premium cards when they were all hoooooot poo poo. I think Akko turning out to be loaded would be a funny twist.

While I don't think Trigger are going to read into the class politics that far, it makes perfect sense to me that Akko's family would actually be considerably wealthier than Diana's. She's a foreign student whose parents sent her to an exclusive British private school. That sort of thing generally takes serious cash. Diana on the other hand is old money who got in through family connections. (With British universities at least, I would generally be prepared to put money on the foreign students being, on average at least, considerably better off money-wise than most of the British nationals. But that's also because you take into account subsidies and student loans. That's way to far for a children's anime to go though.)

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Aw, Sucy's so charmingly evil, especially when she's trying to help her friends.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You say cheating, I say full use of a witch's skillset.

The frog-potion thing in particular strikes me as the kind of thing which isn't technically against any of the rules, mostly because it's so out there that it never occurred to anyone at the school to make a rule against it.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

It's hilarious to watch Akko's reaction to someone else fangirling over something she's pretty neutral towards. Also yeah, Lotte focused episode is nice.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Amusing to note that despite all the loving research they clearly put into putting LWA in Somerset they still make an obvious cultural faux pas like having ostensibly British characters bow when apologising. (Assuming Chariot's supposed to be not-Japanese anyway.) Not that I'm particularly bothered by it at all, just find it funny what they get right and what they don't.

Good episode, and an interesting change of pace to a relatively gag-light character development episode (bugs bunny ears aside). I'm guessing couple of gag episodes followed by slightly more serious episode will be the pattern for most of the series. Either way I'm looking forward to it.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

dogsicle posted:

with magic seeming anchored to specific locations, it really doesn't seem like it would be useful to the wider world. science doesn't need to be significantly advanced in a case like that.

I mean, there's still some degree of suspension of disbelief since presumably even if magic was just anchored to specific places/locations metamorphosis/transmutation magic alone is something that could generate ridiculous amounts of normally scarce resources. But really, we're watching a children's show about witch schools, picking too hard at the world building is kind of trite.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Rodyle posted:

such outdated institutions are in need of nationalization and modernization, vote Labour

Somehow I don't think Luna Nova is beholden to Ofsted.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

I don't like this story any more. :(

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Nipponophile posted:

No way, Akko's character screams plucky working-class underdog. It's way more likely that Luna Nova began to act on their waning enrollment far too late, and by the time they opened their doors to those outside the tradition, the rest of the world had lost interest in magic except for one particular die-hard Shiny Chariot fanatic.

Indeed. I liked the Akko-is-loaded fan theory because I thought it was funny and interesting and could make for some interesting commentary, but that's not really the type of story LWA is telling.

Just as I don't seriously think LWA is a critique of the British educational system through the medium of magical school fiction, which is a shame because that show would've been hilarious, but really not the kind of thing Trigger is equipped to tell regardless of how talented they are. Very fun to make jokes about Ofsted though.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Ooh, plot episode.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Negrostrike posted:

I wonder if there's gonna be a Glenn Danzig look-a-like in that.

Tim Curry obviously.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Well, I wouldn't say saved, but they made a drat fine anime show.

Just retreading the show again, I really love how Diana made the absolute classic right-wing talking point - "You people should be glad that we [job creators] gave you jobs!" - and Akko loving called her on it for being a privileged snob who has no idea how the other half lives. It's rare to see that point made in any kind of media, no matter which side of the ocean you're on. Felt real cathartic.

It's kind of amusing how they write Diana's reactions. Like, she's a genuine prodigy and really is cool and collected most of the time, but consequently on the few occasions she really does find herself out of her depth she completely loses her composure and flounders. She doesn't make mistakes very often, so she doesn't really know how to deal with it when she messes up or when she's in a situation where her skills don't count for much.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Well I for one welcome Akko's efforts to protect yetis from the menace of online trolling.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Let us all bow our heads and give thanks to Saint Utena, patron saint of crossdressing highschool duelists and ridiculous duelling arenas, for surely this anime is blessed.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I, for one, liked the Amanda in this episode.

Yeah, I don't think Amanda particularly needs a complex backstory to be rowdy teenager.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Roth posted:

If Lotte isn't your fav then I don't know what to tell you.

Heretics. Constanze is the most magical gun-witch. (LWA needs a Constanze-focus episode, like, now.)

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Next episode is Constanze-focused.

And it was true! Thank you mister Dicktron.

So anyway, episode 18 confirms what we already new, that Constanze is the best and most magical witch. Also, gently caress yeah TTGL!!!

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Hargrimm posted:

I felt compelled to make an av, if anyone wants it feel free:

Yoink! Thank you comrade.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

A believing heart is magic!
Suckers

The moral here is quite clear. No good ever comes from wanting to blow up the moon. Also your favourite children's entertainer sells drugs to kids, innocence is a lie and hope is dead.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

So, uh, is the implication that the UK is about to declare war on France over football?

Then again, give it some time for Brexit to take off, crash and burn...

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Silly Ursula! Don't confront the villain in their lair. Just submit a formal complaint about her conduct and get her fired and her funding pulled. Also don't blow up the moon. We need it for stuff.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Chariot isn't all that bright based on the flashbacks so she's more like an unwitting rube

Also, she's still a dumb teenager based on the fact she's still wearing her school uniform between shows. Kind of surprised me that Chariot was supposed to be so young but I guess they're going for a teen-idol-singer thing there.

Does work with the "inspired by old anime" thing people mentioned before though. Young Akko sees Chariot as everything she aspires to be as an adult, but going back and looking at it with a more experienced eye Chariot's ultimately just a slightly-older kid who got thrown into an industry she wasn't really ready for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

then why aren't they wearing those goofy british police helmets?

They're not real police, they're magical community support officers.

• Locked thread