Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Is it me or was Diana nicer than in the OVAs? She didn't seem to care for her groupies' bullying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Maybe we'll get a summer-holiday episode where Akko takes her friends home to her parents' ultramansion.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

She's definitely had more good things to say about Akko than either of them.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

Seriously, tho, how does this magic dealie even work? It looks like they are all dependent on the stone, and without it, everything shuts down (maybe not potions, I guess?). There must be more to this, right? I mean, Chariot was doing magic on her own just fine, so I suppose witch graduates carry around their own power sources or something? Wouldn't make much sense otherwise...

I reckon the shiny rod is a source of its own, though I don't have any evidence of that. It doesn't seem common.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's been annoying me how even though part of her motivations almost begs for her to have an almost Hermione like enthusiasm for magic, she doesn't really take it seriously at all and treats Luna Nova more like a fancy prep middle/high school.

That's kind of her whole deal, isn't it? It's like she grew up with this idea that magic is effortless; you wave a stick and snap your fingers and the world bends to your will. And then she starts studying it and finds that there's a lot of hard work and study and focus, while she's still waiting for the clouds to part and her to be bestowed with godly powers.

It's kind of like a kid discovering that chemistry isn't all just mixing together brightly-coloured test tubes until suddenly you invent a new super-medicine or something. Still really invested in the idea of growing up to wear a lab coat but just doesn't get on with the effort required to actually do science.

I'm sure Akko will eventually understand the true value of study, but probably not until the end of the series because that would make boring television.

Meanwhile, giving herself a bunny face was adorable.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 13, 2017

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I liked Sucy drinking a carton of fresh mushroom juice.

Also on a more artistic level I liked Ursala's eyes becoming more visible as she lets her guard down and more of Chariot peeks out from behind the mask. Especially with her eyes being the same colour as Akko's, to draw even more parallels between them.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sucy accepts her "likes mushrooms too much" side but not her "wants a boyfriend" side. Sucy is officially mycosexual.

This episode was hilarious. I loved Akko in classic Disney style.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Professor Finneran needs to gently caress off already

Judging by her scenes I think most of her colleagues agree, honestly.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

You're got a goddamn Earl saying witches are the relics of a bygone era.

I don't get the feeling Trigger really understands the British political scene but they've pretty much nailed it nonetheless.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Squidster posted:

I think it'd be interesting if the 7 stars correspond to lessons Akko has to learn to become the adult ready to save the world. The first seems to have been ignited by her pure-hearted wonder at magic, and the second by her choosing to not sacrifice herself in pursuit of her dreams. I'm definitely curious what lesson Ursula failed at.

She's definitely activated the first two words in big moments of resolve. I reckon you've got it right there.

I went looking for Shiny Chariot scenes to see if I could count how many of the gems on the staff she'd lit up, but there didn't seem to be any. It did remind me that Ursala is adorable though.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

sincx posted:

Plot question: how was Akko supposed to know how to use arae arhyha immediately, if it takes her weeks of practice to do normal spells? Did Chariot use it in her show? I re-watched the first episode and didn't hear it.

Same for the other two Words. How was Akko just supposed to know them?

These don't seem to be conventional spells. I don't think they're ever even called spells except by Akko who doesn't know what they really mean. It looks like they run more on determination than focus and practice.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Akko was Temmie all along

:tem:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

JD posted:

I kinda think that Croix isn't evil, and has good intentions, but is using underhanded means to make changes happen

It's been the case so far that no one is actually evil, they just have differing opinions of how things should go. I do hope this continues, it's a lot more interesting than "fight the bad guys because they are bad".

Also Croix has the best character design, I love it so much.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

My prediction is that Croix has innocent intentions but she'll lose control of her tech somehow and it'll all go haywire.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Futaba Anzu posted:

innocent intentions that involve shoving students out of towers just to conveniently swoop in to save her

Yep!

I guess I mean noble goals. Whatever she's trying to do, she's not exactly doing it above board.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Croix would be about a decade younger than Sabrina, if she graduated in 2007.

I feel old.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hypha posted:

If this is so, then I am very interested in what Croix and Chariot will come to represent.

Croix is definitely CG. Maybe Chariot is Trigger.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

I really doubt the one Japanese girl in the entire show represents western anime fans, to be honest.

Eh, the one Japanese girl joining an English community is reasonable for a metaphor for a few western folks getting in on a Japanese community.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Agreed. I was hoping it'd give Amanda some characterization beyond "Talks rough, is rather rowdy". Like... why exactly did she plan on quitting? What was going on in the background of her decision here? Is it some sort of personal strife? A family thing? What??

She was bored. Luna Nova is stuffy and disciplined and Amanda is neither of those things. She explained at the start of the episode.

e: The best witch is Croix, because she wears a cape.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

I hope they finally become magic and save friends

I think they're a bit late to save Friends, to be honest.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

sincx posted:

Didn't Andrew leave after dinner last episode? Why is he still around?

His dad left early in this episode, but I guess Andrew chose to stay the night since they'd been invited. Also he has a crush on Akko.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Brexit didn't happen in this world. :unsmith:

That's a 2006 number plate. What's the rich guy doing riding an 11-year-old car?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Akko can and does cast magic. She might not have any talent for it but it's clearly not an unrecoverable condition.

I wonder how well-known the whole Chariot business is. She was not respected in the magic world, after all.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 5, 2017

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Present Croix has the best character design in all of anime, it's fantastic.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

She looks hella rad and like someone who'd actually be fun to hang out with irl (disregarding her actual character).

But also, in the context of the series, it strongly conveys the idea that she is a very modern witch completely overturning the old orthodoxy. There are no elements of the traditional witch garb in her outfit, nor even elements of traditional femininity. The high-collared cape still conveys the idea of a magician, but a completely new and distinct type from the rest of the witches. And contrasted against her younger self it shows how she has changed and grown as a person, going from someone who's kind of a shy outsider to representing a total revolution of witchcraft.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

skasion posted:

Did...did Croix just fire a nuke at the moon?

It turns out this show is the prequel to Bloodborne.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

What a big, stupid, anime-rear end finale. I love it.

It was beautiful. Nothing could have fit this series better. There was just a sheer, unbridled joy about the whole thing that I couldn't help but love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah if it's like the old Harry Potter games where you free roam and magic at things and maybe occasionally do a plot, I'm sold.

• Locked thread