Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The race was a riot. Akko's team cheating like a bunch of motherfuckers was great and the Hoppy Broom was loving hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Parallax posted:

akko's training montage is one of the funniest things i've ever seen in anime

Especially since the punchline is her faceplanting exactly as hard as she did before she started.

I do hope Akko starts to become at least a little competent sooner rather than later, tho. The show's really funny, but I'm just a little worried that Akko might start just feeling like a load if she doesn't start to get her feet under her soon.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The faces really are a treasure in this show. Akko in particular is so wonderfully expressive and funny.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The anti-Twilight hysteria is so embarrassing in retrospect, especially when it came from people who gave something as silly as Harry Potter a pass.

Harry Potter isn't Tolkien or anything but it has way way way less hosed up views on gender relations and womens' agency than Twilight.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cliches > pedophilia apology, arranged marriage, and abusive relationships IMO

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The fight scene was a whole lot of fun, I must say. The ending strained credulity a little bit (oh come on, the teachers were really stupid enough to sign a contract they couldn't even READ despite the language apparently being easy enough for a gifted 12 year old to pick up?), but Diana's animation and voice actress sold it well enough to make it work.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Malloc Voidstar posted:

They didn't sign it, it was 1000 years old. They were bound by it. It's also probably a language that's almost entirely worthless in the modern era. Seeing as Diana is a massive overachiever she probably was just going through her family library or something.

Still a bit of a reach that they don't keep anyone around who can read it though, right? But whatever, I'm nitpicking.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

This morning I realized that Amanda kind of reminded me of someone, and couldn't find any other comparisons online, so here goes...

...Hm. I can see it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Techno wizard owns.

I liked when she cast Rocket-Propelled Grenade.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Thought today was a little dull, in all honesty. It was as well animated as anything else in this show and had lots of good gags, and I appreciate them trying to develop Akko a bit, but the basic story arc this episode set up felt really rote to me.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

Wait, something just clicked for me.

Akko mentioned when she was practicing that she has to clearly visualize what she wants something to transform into.

She gave the guy donkey ears and a tail, meaning she thought he was a jackass.

....:aaa:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Good episode tonight. Still wish Akko would improve a bit faster, but this episode was a good step forward.

Also, man, gently caress all these non-Ursula teachers. How the hell does Akko even get into a class you need to be an advanced fish linguist to participate in?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I do appreciate how the narrow minded professors and the snobbish students are juxtaposed with the school being on the verge of ruin and the administration having not competent plan to address it.

Yeah it's clearly intentional. Just talking.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

OddObserver posted:

Well, something like that would certainly account for Diana's shocked expression, which Akko flunking out won't cause.

I wish they'd done a bit more with Diana in that scene. It seems a little weird that, after having that vision and being visibly surprised by it, we don't see Akko either press for more detail or Diana thinking more deeply about what she'd just seen.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

I liked Sucy drinking a carton of fresh mushroom juice.

Also on a more artistic level I liked Ursala's eyes becoming more visible as she lets her guard down and more of Chariot peeks out from behind the mask. Especially with her eyes being the same colour as Akko's, to draw even more parallels between them.

Oh, I hadn't actually noticed that they're the same color. That's a nice touch. Chariot's eyes in general are really good, there's something about the color + the shape that makes them really distinctive.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Akko is Akko. She isn't a very intelligent person, and she's absolutely emotional. Faced with Diana saying she'll leave, her first instinct is to get really annoyed, not to ask for explanations, which will likely bite her in the rear end later when whatever Diana saw happens. Diana not giving more detail is either because she herself can't fully comprehend what she saw, or because she thinks giving said detail would make the situation worse. Which will likely bite her in the rear end later, because even she has constantly needed help despite her "best in school" thing.

I get that, I just wish the show had at least hinted at a good reason for Diana's look of surprise/refusal to elaborate or question the vision instead of having her kind of vanish. It's not a big deal, just a minor thing that stood out to me.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This episode was really funny and well animated and all, and I do like some of what it did with Sucy's character, but I kinda wish after 8 episodes that I had more nice things to say about this show besides than "it's funny and well produced." I know it's got two cours, so there's still plenty of time, but I keep kind of waiting for there to be something more interesting going on from a narrative or character perspective. I felt like there was an opportunity to make Sucy and her relationship with Akko and Lotte a lot more interesting that went largely unexplored so we could get more breathless gags.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

paragon1 posted:

I was not expecting, of all things, a Dexter's Laboratory reference.

I liked that quite a bit. It, the Steamboat Akko sequence, and the Sleeping Beauty homage were all highpoints both in terms of animation and how funny they were.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tell me this whole bit doesn't look and sound like a Dexter's Lab cold open.

Edit: SHE'S EVEN WEARING THE BELT

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I don't think there's been anything explicit, but I've gotten the impression that normies generally view magic as impractical and increasingly unnecessary.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Malloc Voidstar posted:

I don't understand how Netflix only wants to release anime when it's done airing but also can't be bothered to release an entire season at once

It's really bizzare. It's the worst of both worlds - you don't get to follow the conversation around the show "live" but releasing a single cour then waiting several months for the second isn't friendly to binge-watchers.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Sorry but "A believing heart is your magic" is clunkily translated and Real Bad.

Eh, I like it better than "Believing in yourself"

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I hadn't given it much thought but this seems like a fuckin' fantastic all-ages anime. Hope the little'n's keep enjoying!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Very good, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Please do not bully Akko, she tries very hard

• Locked thread