Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

what happened to Avery between episodes 1 and 2?

Did Diana make the three of them fight to the death for the sidekick slot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

they have an encyclopedia for relevant terms on the Japanese website and someone on Tumblr has been translating them.

Episode 1:

quote:

Witch
The history of witches goes back earlier than 2,500 BCE. A witch was a profession, and magic is an acquired craft that one learns. There is no race of witches, however there are necessary qualities. There are those who do not acquire magical power no matter how much they practice.

Nowadays, due to the advancement of science and technology, magic is not considered an art, but closer to a traditional entertainment form. The misuse of magic is strictly prohibited, and violators are subjected to harsh punishments.

Luna Nova
Established in the 5th century, and holds approximately 1,600 years of history.
Traditionally it is hereditary, and family lineage is greatly considered in succession. However due to a shortage of successors in recent years, the school has received new students universally. Currently the use of magic requires national qualifications, and at Luna Nova there are various subjects specialized for acquiring them and for joining various agencies that put to service one’s qualifications. By custom of mages, there are those who learn magic solely for the sake of the art, but there are many students of witch families who enter with little sense of purpose.

Chariot Card
A Shiny Chariot trading card that Akko has personally acquired. There is only one premium card that she has not been able to get no matter what. Even now she mourns over the fact that she has not been able to complete her set.

Alcor
Chariot’s familiar. A crow. Currently he lives on a barstool in the personal room of Ursula, of Luna Nova.

Alcor Doll
One of Akko’s possessions. A plush toy sold during the heyday of Shiny Chariot, made in Japan. Due to Sucy’s magic, it was temporarily animated. It is one of Akko’s favorite Chariot merchandise that she brought along. Turned inside out, it appears as a hat. It sits on Akko’s desk.

Arkturus Forest
An ancient, sacred forest protected by magic trees. It is inhabited by mandrakes, cockatrices, and other ecology yet to be confirmed, and entering is prohibited. Akko and her friends arrived losing their way on the ley line. It is said that even witches do not know its whereabouts.

Mandrake
A man-eating magical plant residing in Arkturus Forest. The one that attacked Akko and her friends was a violet mandrake, a diurnal species.

Cockatrice
A giant magical beast inhabiting Arkturus Forest. Its feathers are poisonous, and can be made into a poison rare even among poison collectors. Sucy sought after it. The beast can petrify with just its breath, and can even breathe fire from its mouth.

Shiny Rod
The magic staff of Shiny Chariot. In the middle of being chased by the Cockatrice in Arkturus Forest, it appeared (by chance?) before Akko.

Shiny Arc
One of the forms that Shiny Rod transforms into according to the wishes of its user.

Episode 2

quote:

Goblin Janitors
The janitors of Luna Nova, responsible for sanitation and setting tables for meals within the school. There are many different kinds of orderlies that work at Luna Nova.

Luna Alphabet
An alphabet system used by the witches of old. It is an introductory course, the first course in magic linguistics.

Finelan
A strict teacher at Luna Nova. She is an advanced magician, holding 2 Feathers. Unlike other more sloppy teachers, she holds to formalities the most.
Among her teaching responsibilities are Magic Linguistics and student counseling. She is an austere conventionalist. Being fastidious, she despises plots, tricks, and human attachments.

Lukić
She is called the Occult teacher. With 2 Feathers*, she is an advanced witch.
She is one of the oldest witches within Luna Nova. Superstitions, curses, and eschatology are her personal interests. Her age-old face and habit of speaking excessively has displeased even the teachers around her. Her teaching responsibilities include magical pharmaceutics, alchemy, and law. Her lectures are extremely boring to most students with the exception of Sucy.

Badcock
Her responsibilities include magical numerology and other subjects. She is also in charge of the school’s financial affairs and is an advisor to the headmaster. She holds 2 Feathers. Being part of Luna Nova’s management, she is troubled by the school’s finances. She manages the equipment of the students, and is a very fussy teacher.

Papilliodya
Butterflies that travel the five continents. They hatch once every 120 years. It is said that they kindle hope in the hearts of all those who see them.

Jennifer’s Memorial Tree
A tree inside Luna Nova’s botanical gardens, brought to life by the Nine Old Witches. It is said to inherit the will of the great witch Jennifer.
*If you look at the each professor’s hats, you can see they have one or two feathers stuck in them.

So now we know the names of the other teachers, including Ursula's boss.

I imagine the card Akko doesn't have will be important later.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Davincie posted:

lets discuss the goblins. harry potter style slaves or not?

it was the elves who were slaves in Harry Potter

The janitor goblin seemed to have a uniform so Luna Nova has that on Hogwarts at least.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Her dad paid a donation to get Akko into the academy.

I don't think she's poor or even middle class.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Aaaaaaaaaand we're off to the races.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

nani sore

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

why are they friends

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

from Megumi Han's twitter:

quote:

“What is it that has filed me with this emotion?”

Yes, well, that would be love!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm sure she and Constanze would get along great.

Constanze confirmed traitor

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

she's gonna betray the academy and side with Croix

but sure, she'll be adorable while doing so

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

wait a loving minute

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

new opening boyeeeeez

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

indeed

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I can't believe Croix's nefarious plan

is to elevate the working class and modernize schools.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Croix graduated from Luna Nova in 2007.

Oh.

Oh.

I'm so old.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I really doubt the one Japanese girl in the entire show represents western anime fans, to be honest.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

her broom is also based on the kinds used in the Philippines.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Jasminka needs a focus episode more, you fools. You cowards.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

holy crap chrondigizoit IS from Digimon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't think any ship will be canon in the end and Trigger will allow everyone room to keep on supporting whatever they want.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

But

who got married

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Trigger you sons of bitches

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

it's a black shiny rod with purple as a secondary color. It's clearly got some conceptual continuity.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There Bias Two posted:

She will probably give magic to everyone.

when everyone's a little witch, no one will be

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well

now we know why Ursula never talked about things

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I still felt somewhat bad for Croix. Especially if the hints she lost her own magic in Wagandea are accurate.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Futaba Anzu posted:

she did but the sixth word healed her, just like it healed chariot when akko learned it

The sixth word doesn't heal you if you lose your magic or your ability to fly. Last episode Ursula tried to use her broom to fly to Akko before stopping herself.

All the sixth word does is heal physical injuries.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This is a series where the main character is routinely poisoned by her best friend and all she does is develop an immunity to it.

I'm not sure any of Croix's violence against Chariot would have been fatal. Especially considering how durable and superhuman she clearly is WITHOUT magic.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I actually agree with that analysis of her character, I just don't think she was ever out to actually kill her.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's just hard to tell what in those scenarios is lethal, because again, nearly everyone in this show except Croix (who is basically a basement dweller with good fashion sense) and the other teachers is indestructible. The tension of that fight scene for me wasn't "is Chariot going to die", but "is Chariot going to lose?"

That said I do agree that carelessness is a defining aspect of her character.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Would 2chan be more likely?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I see.

... also, she finally did it. Akko finally did it. ;-;

Also, the missile creating a giant lily flower from Akko and Diana's final attack. Subtle, Trigger.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Dub's up on Netflix, yo

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Just give us a Jasminka episode, you cowards.

Preferably where they go to her hometown and everyone there talks about "That Jasminka, she must never stop talking your ear off" and "Jasminka, the social butterfly".

You know, like that Deep Space Nine episode where everyone thought Morn was dead.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I love Mind Conductor a lot, so I disagree in this case.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Carefully.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

What's interesting me is one of the giant TVs that was taken over by Croix (does anyone else kinda want to keep calling her Crwah?) to show the plight of the girls. It looked like a promotional image for a yaoi (one guy pulling on another, smaller, guys' tie, with a blush and slightly alarmed expression on said smaller guy's face). Is that a reference to something?

It's just a generic Boys' Love series. Japanese media gets that kind of public advertisement all the time.

The fact that it switched from a show about a romance between two guys to Diana and Akko didn't go unnoticed by fans of that pairing, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No, bully Akko, it's funny.

• Locked thread