Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

What you're saying is that she's Luffy.

This was a pretty great episode. Lotte was a bit bland in the OVAs, so it's great that she's got her own interests and habits. I like that all the details make it clear that they're in an English-speaking setting. Someone on staff must speak English pretty well, because all the lines of not-Twilight and Lotte's witchy IM were all in pretty standard English.

Also, who noticed that Not-Twilight is apparently just the hugest Fanfiction.org saga ever? All the wacky details about the story that Lotte mentioned!

I cracked up every time more of the dumb plots got revealed, it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

It seems like it's got everything! I wonder how odd it must be to start at the beginning of the novel, though? If it started 120 years ago, they'd have been in a Victorian-era setting to start with and then progress to the modern day as each new successor took the pen.

The whole series starts with Belle falling through a portal to the past, so it wasn't a contemporary setting to being with.

Also, I just realized the series is written at a rate of 3 books / year, which is STUPID FAST.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

I get that, I just wish the show had at least hinted at a good reason for Diana's look of surprise/refusal to elaborate or question the vision instead of having her kind of vanish. It's not a big deal, just a minor thing that stood out to me.

If they weren't going to explain that look in this episode, I think it would have been better if they just played the prediction matter-of-fact without that knowing glance from Diana. That way when we learn the real significance of that prediction, the foreshadowing will have been subtle. Assuming it is foreshadowing, of course, but come on. This is a very nitpicky point though, overall the episode was great and cements that Akko is indeed improving, both in magic and as a person, and that's very exciting.

Am I the only one thinking there's going to be a big shift in the show at some point, and become larger in scope? Maybe I'm just looking at Gurren Lagann and Kill La Kill and assuming too much of a pattern, but I really feel like the creators are planting a bunch of seeds for later in the show.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

I don't think there's been anything explicit, but I've gotten the impression that normies generally view magic as impractical and increasingly unnecessary.

The impression I've been getting is technology is improving at an increasing rate, just like our world, while magic is relatively static so between that and magic requiring batteries outside the Sorcerer's Stone's range means people view it as antiquated and impractical.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Aurora posted:

I'm kind of sad we're getting bog-standard romance stuff with Andrew and Akko.

It'd be a cool swerve if it heads down that way but resolves in a surprising way, like Akko turning him down or them getting together relatively soon and having an actual relationship throughout the second half. I too will be a little disappointed if it plays out purely by the numbers, but that's half just wanting something different from anime romance and half expecting something different because it's Trigger.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

why are they friends

I don't know about you, but the people I mess the most with are my friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

I compared LWA with HP in what if HP didn't have Voldemort and Harry got to live a happy life with his still alive parents but still got on adventures with Ron and Hermione.

This is the hook I used to get a couple friends into the show; it's a decent approximation to get across the premise about a magicless girl going to wizard school where she meets two friends, a talented witch and a ginger, and a blonde, arrogant rival. In reality the show isn't as much like HP has that suggests, it's definitely doing its own thing when you look at the actual dynamics, structure, and themes.

• Locked thread