Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

is it still SNP policy to all but eliminate air passenger duty if the power’s ever devolved from Westminster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

Are you prepared to die in defence of the union?

I'm hoping it won't come to that.

forkboy84 posted:

The only thing Pissflaps is willing to die for is sending people weirdly stalky abusive PMs

This is an ad hom attack and also a lie.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I'm hoping it won't come to that.

This is an ad hom attack and also a lie.

You are a loving idiot.

Also looking forward to yet another referendum

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cerv posted:

is it still SNP policy to all but eliminate air passenger duty if the power’s ever devolved from Westminster?

Yes. The SNP's green credentials are that yellow is what happens when you add green to blue.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Natalie McGarry jailed for 18 months for embezzlement.

Her young child will now spend a year and a half being raised by a Tory. Is it really fair to punish a kid like this for their mother's crimes?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Fuckin lol

https://imgur.com/gallery/pOjxY7B

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

the SNP bravely voted with the Conservatives today in defence of AirBnB. thank you Comrade Sturgeon for your brave anti-capitalist work

https://twitter.com/FerretScot/status/1141416992156655618

Article on the Wightman amendment that was voted down: https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/14378/yielded-industry-lobbyists-andy-wightman-s-short-term-lets-regulation-proposal

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Rumor has it that today's announcement about gender recognition reform will be further delaying it to make room for more consultation, so it's a good week for SNP Disappointments

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Angepain posted:

Rumor has it that today's announcement about gender recognition reform will be further delaying it to make room for more consultation, so it's a good week for SNP Disappointments

so you're saying the reactionaries in a nationalist political tent are able to agitate infinitely more efficiently than the progressive bloc because the liberal ruling authority kowtows to them at the drop of a hat? almost as if building this big tent leads to this outcome in basically every instance? who'da thunk it

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

CoolCab posted:

so you're saying the reactionaries in a nationalist political tent are able to agitate infinitely more efficiently than the progressive bloc because the liberal ruling authority kowtows to them at the drop of a hat? almost as if building this big tent leads to this outcome in basically every instance? who'da thunk it

Are you trying to take over from Pissflaps as chief SNP disliker? You always seem to pop in with a half baked hot take whenever they come up.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

marktheando posted:

Are you trying to take over from Pissflaps as chief SNP disliker? You always seem to pop in with a half baked hot take whenever they come up.

That's not fair, we already have Jedit

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The flat next to mine is an Airbnb let and the owner is the worst person I've ever met. Any legislation that inconveniences him is something I'd vote for.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah central Edinburgh there are more flats with those little key safes than without them. Air bnb poo poo is out of control.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Angepain posted:

Announcement just made: delayed, another consultation of unclear length, no recognition for non-binary people or under 16s, the trans discourse hellscape continues on

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yep...I'm in Edinburgh and own my flat, but most of the flats in the building are short term lets. It's out of control.

I am a landlord myself (and thus scum) but it's a long term lease up in Aberdeen and my tenant was carefully vetted.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Angepain posted:

Announcement just made: delayed, another consultation of unclear length, no recognition for non-binary people or under 16s, the trans discourse hellscape continues on

Disappointing but not surprising, I was pretty much expecting the SNP to cave on this since it seems in the current climate being supportive of trans people isn't a vote winner.

Chas McGill posted:

Yep...I'm in Edinburgh and own my flat, but most of the flats in the building are short term lets. It's out of control.

I am a landlord myself (and thus scum) but it's a long term lease up in Aberdeen and my tenant was carefully vetted.

Added you to the list.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

marktheando posted:

But this is a bad thing though? I mean feel free to jump in here with a spirited defence of the SNP teaming up with the Tories to protect AirBnB any time.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Aramoro posted:

But this is a bad thing though? I mean feel free to jump in here with a spirited defence of the SNP teaming up with the Tories to protect AirBnB any time.

Oh I'm not going to defend that, it's obviously lovely. It's just that CoolCab is a broken record when it comes to the SNP and is one of those people who thinks anyone pro indy is basically a nazi because nationalism.

I think he might be the guy who kept repeating "nationalism is mind poison"

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

marktheando posted:

pft, pissflaps is a poundstore me. I don’t oppose nationalism because it winds people up - I oppose nationalism because it’s unethical, dangerous and should be opposed.

e: I see you’re familiar with my work and yet you say this to me? I’m offended!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

CoolCab posted:

pft, pissflaps is a poundstore me. I don’t oppose nationalism because it winds people up - I oppose nationalism because it’s unethical, dangerous and should be opposed.

Hmm, so you instead support the neutral and non-nationalist position that the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the United Kingdom of great Britain and Northern Ireland should be maintained.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

marktheando posted:

Hmm, so you instead support the neutral and non-nationalist position that the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the United Kingdom of great Britain and Northern Ireland should be maintained.

the only unionism I’m interested in is trade. it’s really great that the first thing I get when I say “nationalism is unethical” is “but YOU are a nationalist!” - it sort of betrays that you yourself know it’s unethical and need me to be a hypocrite.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

CoolCab posted:

the only unionism I’m interested in is trade. it’s really great that the first thing I get when I say “nationalism is unethical” is “but YOU are a nationalist!” - it sort of betrays that you yourself know it’s unethical and need me to be a hypocrite.

But the thing is, a LOT of the anti-SNP crowd is explicitly a pro-Union, British nationalist crowd, that's undeniable.

I frame my yes vote in 2014 as anti-imperialist, and i think it's hard not to say Scotland isn't more pro-internationalism than the UK as a whole.
The thing is, that doesn't make Scotland some weird outlier, the culture is not much different than the north of England, and if anything north of the Wirral wanted to leave with Scotland I'd be all for that. (Or east of the wirrall. Pretty much just not the drat wirrall).

And as I've already discussed with you on discord, if Boris is PM when a new insured is called, I'd find it hard to vote any way but yes, and I know quite a few staunch internationalists who voted strongly no in 2014 who feel the same.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

marktheando posted:

Oh I'm not going to defend that, it's obviously lovely. It's just that CoolCab is a broken record when it comes to the SNP and is one of those people who thinks anyone pro indy is basically a nazi because nationalism.

The SNP are the party of government and should critised. One of the main problems we have in Scotland just now is the lack of scrutiny that we place on the government because everything is framed as being pro or anti indy.

By all means have a dig at CoolCab or whatever but it would be good to have at least some discussion about Scottish politics and not discussions about which poster is and isn't Pissflaps/Zoomer/Class Traitor or whatever.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

CoolCab posted:

I’m sorry you have to choose between the nationalism of breaking away from an Imperialist project that’s increasingly right wing etho-nationalist and the nationalism of maintaining it.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
It's a loving pain when any (deserved) criticism of the SNP becomes "ah hah, you see, independence is bad and will lead to fascism"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

marktheando posted:

I think he might be the guy who kept repeating "nationalism is mind poison"

He isn't wrong about that.

Regarding the keysafes, there is one positive thing you can take from it. Councils use keysafes on their flats for battered women, to make them accessible without the woman having to visit an office where their abusive partner may be waiting. With the rise of AirBNB causing them to appear everywhere, it's no longer quite so obvious that a flat is a sheltered house.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jedit posted:

He isn't wrong about that.

Regarding the keysafes, there is one positive thing you can take from it. Councils use keysafes on their flats for battered women, to make them accessible without the woman having to visit an office where their abusive partner may be waiting. With the rise of AirBNB causing them to appear everywhere, it's no longer quite so obvious that a flat is a sheltered house.

I mean they were more used by care workers for the elderly so it's hardly an upside.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah my grandparents had one too for care workers so that was what I associated them with. Looking at somewhere in the old town with shitloads of key safes I actually thought "wow everyone in those flats must be ancient" until I made the airbnb connection.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Coohoolin posted:

It's a loving pain when any (deserved) criticism of the SNP becomes "ah hah, you see, independence is bad and will lead to fascism"

its also a pain when any deserved criticism of the SNP is met with but England is worse or but independence is worth it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

marktheando posted:

I’m sorry you have to choose between the nationalism of breaking away from an Imperialist project that’s increasingly right wing etho-nationalist and the nationalism of maintaining it.

and I'm sorry your imagination is so limited that your solution to "too many post-imperial ethnostates" is "lets get our own" - that you reduce every (justifiable!) critique of nationalism and nationalist governments into a personal attack on your identity. almost as if your thinking is being constrained somehow - as if some insidious substance is restricting you mentally like some sort of...brain toxin, no, no i'm sure there's a snappier way of putting that.

we ain't gonna border our way out of the class struggle. anyone who tells you otherwise ain't your friend.

mehall posted:

But the thing is, a LOT of the anti-SNP crowd is explicitly a pro-Union, British nationalist crowd, that's undeniable.

eh? then go argue with them? there are advantages arguing with nationalists - it is easier, trust me on that.

quote:

I frame my yes vote in 2014 as anti-imperialist, and i think it's hard not to say Scotland isn't more pro-internationalism than the UK as a whole.
The thing is, that doesn't make Scotland some weird outlier, the culture is not much different than the north of England, and if anything north of the Wirral wanted to leave with Scotland I'd be all for that. (Or east of the wirrall. Pretty much just not the drat wirrall).

"my nation is more internationalist than yours" should be causing enough cognitive dissonance to blow your head off. and i would argue it sort of is - see, your actual internationalism is showing - neither of us care where it's put, there is no good border. there are no good borders, even.

quote:

And as I've already discussed with you on discord, if Boris is PM when a new insured is called, I'd find it hard to vote any way but yes, and I know quite a few staunch internationalists who voted strongly no in 2014 who feel the same.

eh i generally shy away from pms or such when i rhetoric, it tends to get somewhat personal - particularly when i'm arguing from an ethical perspective. i'm not generally interested in getting into specifics - i don't think i have to be? my moral positions don't change based on some Westminster theatrics.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...
Been building up to this for a while but now I can finally, definitively and happily state:

gently caress THE SNP!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's cool how every political party is either repugnant or futile to vote for.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

CoolCab posted:

and I'm sorry your imagination is so limited that your solution to "too many post-imperial ethnostates" is "lets get our own" - that you reduce every (justifiable!) critique of nationalism and nationalist governments into a personal attack on your identity. almost as if your thinking is being constrained somehow - as if some insidious substance is restricting you mentally like some sort of...brain toxin, no, no i'm sure there's a snappier way of putting that.

we ain't gonna border our way out of the class struggle. anyone who tells you otherwise ain't your friend.

I don't want an ethnostate actually. I want to live in a country that is inclusive and welcoming.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

marktheando posted:

I don't want an ethnostate actually. I want to live in a country that is inclusive and welcoming.

*unless you're trans

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
*especially if you're an Airbnb landlaird

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

poo poo you got me, supporting independence means I agree with and support absolutely everything the SNP does.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

marktheando posted:

poo poo you got me, supporting independence means I agree with and support absolutely everything the SNP does.

by their fruits you will know them

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Supporting unionism means you agree with every tory policy

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

marktheando posted:

arguing that scotland is an inherently progressive country and also knowing that the SNP (and the other parties) are poo poo is the true brain genius position

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

cargohills posted:

arguing that scotland is an inherently progressive country and also knowing that the SNP (and the other parties) are poo poo is the true brain genius position

The Greens are good.