Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Autonomous Monster posted:

I dunno, I still haven't met anyone who's been turned pro-Indy by Brexit. If they're out there they're keeping quiet about it.

How large can that constituency really be? We're looking at the intersection of Remain and No, and the subset of that for whom EU membership was the deciding factor in their No vote. I'd be surprised if there's five points in it, if that.

The intersection is pretty major in some of the biggest No areas, eg Edinburgh was ~75% remain and 61% No, but the biggest Yes areas were still solidly Remain

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

How's Ireland/NI going to work after Brexit in terms of free movement? I guess Scotland/rUK would be the same in the event of independence?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

I should've clarified, I meant every other metal song that references his work. Obviously I have an enduring fondness for They're Taking The Hobbits to Isengard.

How do you feel about the Ballad of Bilbo Baggins?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I saw the Cheviot, the Stag and the Black Black Oil last night. An extremely funny but powerful history of capitalist exploitation in Scotland.
If you are still able to get tickets, I would hugely recommend it.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Acaila posted:

I missed Cheviot talk?! I saw in Dundee last year, Edinburgh a few weeks ago and Inverness on Saturday there. Billy M was chatting to some folks behind us at the interval - who turned out to be parents of some SNP MP - and was saying that they're hoping to do a village hall tour with a scaled down version, which would be AWESOME!
More importantly I still want his 7:84 t-shirt. It's the proper vintage one by the looks of it, and I can't even find my noughties 7:84 crew shirt :(
We managed to get front row seats for it on Saturday, and it was so much better there, unless you hate audience interaction, but we were chatting to another of the actors before the show (who was out prepping people to get in on the dancing as apparently Invernesians are more reticent) and immediately got pegged as "People Who Are Up For Joining In With Stuff".
I am especially loving the little bit they've added near the end with a new, topical addition to "We Are The Men Who Own Your Glen" :D

I was at the Saturday showing too, second row. Got to say one of the lines at the end. :)

The Trump addition was loving amazing.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

That scene was brief and informative whereas Trump was in a musical number so sure he got the laughs and boos
I never felt the audience "bristling" with indignation that the SNP were criticised. :shrug:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Maybe it's because I'm a country bumpkin, but when I moved to Edinburgh I was surprised by how ethnically diverse it was :v:

e: wikipedia claims Edinburgh/Aberdeen are virtually identical in terms of whiteness.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I hadn't realised Edinburgh Trams were likely to be extended down Leath, but apparently, that's part of the reason Leith Walk is currently being dug up. What's everyone's thoughts on that?

I rather like the trams now they're here and it would be handy to have a stop near me.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

The only good Scots poet is William McGonagall.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfjhpw_william-mcgonagall-tay-bridge-disaster-billy-connolly_creation
:scotland:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I'm officially moving back to Edinburgh in 4 weeks time :toot:

I've been here a couple years now and still love it, having been a country bumpkin all my life. Sometimes I worry about Glaswegians and their inferiority complex.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

All joking about the rivalry aside, Edinburgh is nice. I haven't been much in the last...well, ever I guess, but it's a fine city. However. Best in Scotland is a bold proclamation. How is August for a resident of Edinburgh? July 12th in Glasgow was always loving horrendous and made me feel absolutely terrible about the city, the country & humanity in general, but at least that's only one weekend. But having visited Edinburgh in August for a day or two to see some shows, I can't really imagine what it must be like to have to put up with for the entire month.

It's novel enough for me that I still enjoy Festival time. New Year's time too.
Maybe in five years time I'll get old and grumpy.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Depressing to think the Tories might do well, relatively speaking.
I mean they only need to get two seats for it to technically be their best result since 1992, but if they end up ahead of Labour and LDs on seats they'd not be a joke party anymore.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Are the tories pushing Davidson's brand on all their candidates? Edniburgh SW leaflet headlines:

Only RUTH DAVIDSON'S Candidate,
some guy
Can stop the SNP!*

*based on council results lol

Reminds me of Ken's branding in Toy Story 3

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Not had a leaflet from them lately

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

If benefits aren't universal it becomes easy to frame the recipients as scroungers with the aim of abolishing them altogether.
Healthcare, including prescriptions, should be something everyone feels they have a right to, including the wealthy.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Three and a half years living in Edinburgh without seeing the Orange Order and the fuckers just marched passed my flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Supporting unionism means you agree with every tory policy