Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

PiCroft posted:

I find it weird that a paper that apparently seeks to make the case for independence as a national newspaper seems to use weaponised twee to sell copy much like the Daily Sport uses tits.

The people buying it for the case of independence already decided they're buying it.

The weaponiaed twee means they might get a few extra sales in the newsagents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Regarding the P&J story:

The tax increase is to council tax at Band E or higher (band E is pretty loving high, you gotta have a nice house for that poo poo), and the extra charges are being collected at a national level to be used for schools that have the highest number of free school meals.

I know we like to bitch and moan about the SNP, but this actually seems like a reasonable, and you could say progressive, move.

Now granted, I wish this was applied to the south east of England instead, and redistributed across the whole of the UK, but I take what I get.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Jedit posted:

Yeah, let's look at an example of a really nice house in Band E:

There are four flats in that block. The first floor corner flat above the office is Band E.

Jeez. They really need to update the evaluations.

I have a 4-in-a-block 2 bed flat, granted not in the nicest area, and I barely push a D.

(I thought i was C, so I take it back about having to be real nice houses, but the point stands.)
(council tax is still regressive and poo poo, regardless of whats done to try and make it better.)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Extreme0 posted:

Just going to say gently caress morrision utility group, BT openreach and Plusnet for my ongoing problem of not having functioning broadband for 3 weeks which is still ongoing.

It's why they prefer to donate money instead of paying a daily bigger tax. They can come off feeling good when they have their little sympathy drive and give money to the folks worse off when they feel like it.

It's openreach's fault.

I don't care what the fix ends up being, it's openreach's fault.
Open reach are poo poo.
Their engineers do a half-arsed job.
They don't have decent equipment.

Open reach are poo poo.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

EmptyVessel posted:

No true Scots word would have Tory as part of it.

Don't be ridiculous. If we can't call someone a Tory, it's harder to follow up by calling them a oval office.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I think it's clear that the SNP and nationalism has reached its high water mark.

The case for independence is weaker now than it was two years ago: and it was piss poor then.

Shut the gently caress up Pissflaps.

Like, i can add content, but thats basically what I'd end up saying.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I'm surprised it's been said out loud.

She either believes Soft Brexit won't happen, or she reckons the chances of winning a referendum if we do stay in the single market are so low, it's not worth running the campaign without a different impetus to cause it.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

Glasgow City Council have decided to stop funding Sheltered Housing by 2018, or rather they've decided to only fund for High and Medium risk Sheltered Tenants and want to fundamentally change the job that Sheltered Housing does and to stop calling it Sheltered housing. This'll probably hit the press in the coming months.

Question will be if it hits close to or far from the elections.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I have no idea who he is, but if literally every organisation to try and ensure a free press are saying you were in the wrong, maybe... just maybe.... you were in the wrong.

From how it sounds, he was asked to stop being both editor and writer for the politics segment. That sounds entirely appropriate to me, no man should be his own editor, at least not for non-fiction. By definition, you are lacking oversight at that point.

e; Not to say that his blog post doesn't have some reasonable points. Should the MPs and others have contacted him for his side of it? Yes.
Are a too large number of writers willing to sell themselves up the river for an, as he puts it, selfie with Sturgeon? Possibly.

However, he's flying his staunch Unionist-only flag high when he says that Rowling was the only one to defend him on Twitter.
Rowling is funny and engaging, but she's still essentially a troll.

2nd edit: I mean read this loving quote - "the 24-Hour Grievance Hotline that passes for a government at Holyrood"
That's the definition of someone with a chip on their shoulder. There's ways to criticise the SNP government, god knows there are a few, but this is loving awful writing.

mehall fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 4, 2017

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I'll admit to being one of the ones who interacts with him in UKMT, but can the Scotland thread declare Independence of Pissflaps?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

They always angry about something.

But Pissflaps - You hate Brexit! Surely you of all people want to support the largest Westminster party to oppose leaving the EU, yes?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I think there are very similar themes running through the campaigns for Scottish Independence, Brexit and Trump.

Ahh yes, I remember the Yes2Indy campaign saying we need to reduce immigration.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Sion posted:

Yeah but the bedroom has a matress you can push out the window and then use to jump onto into the relative safety of outside/europe.

I'd this metaphor was a bit stretched, but I'm not convinced the metaphor was sustainable in the first place.

Just like the Union

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

But you realise you left all your stuff in the building including your clothes and a guy called Hans allows you to stay at his providing you wear the overly tight lederhosen he's just taken back off his Greek neighbour.

You must wear the lederhosen.

In this analogy, you're better off in the lederhosen than literally on fire, so I guess you're a begrudging Yes to Scottish Independence.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Moving away from metaphors: deciding that the consequences of leaving an economic and political union are so dire that the best option is to do the same to an even more important one seems illogical.

Not if you truly believe that the political union that has more power on you (not necessarily more "important") are entirely counter to your beliefs, whereas the other better lines up with your beliefs, and you can aim to try and re-mold the other union away from it's questionable practices with like-minded people from the rest of the union.
(We have been shown that there are not sufficient people in the rest of the Union to try and re-shape the union into one that better allows us to show our values.)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Ok but it would be tricky for the SNP to only give a vote to people born in Scotland when their shtick is that their nationalism is the 'good' sort.

You do know that he isn't a policy maker for the SNP, right?

And that it was a thought experiment, not a proposal?

You understand hypotheticals, don't you Pissflaps?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Angepain posted:

if scotland becomes independent will we still be legally able to make fun of pissflaps

I'd go so far to say it's a civic duty.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I think the US President example is relevant here.
The President takes the action of either signing the law into the books, or using his Veto and it goes back to the house.

Holyrood send the law to Westminster to request it be signed into law.
Westminster can then sign it into the books, or Veto it, and it goes back to whence it came, ready for it to be changed into a form that will receive assent.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Hopefully the SNP test her on this. If she bends, great. If not, hey, I'm sure that'll convince a few waverers to lean towards the independence side, with the Scottish Parliament being overruled by Westminster etc etc. Easy narrative to spin

In terms of winning, I'm not certain now was the right time to be gearing up.
I think this allows an easy narrative of "Being told what to do by Westminster" which will gain waverers, whilst allowing Sturgeon to ensure that the next time she asks, she's set to go.
It might, just maybe, get a couple concessions from May about Brexit too.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Are you suggesting that May vetoed the referendum?

Lol

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I'm officially moving back to Edinburgh in 4 weeks time :toot:

Why would you move to England?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, 7 points higher than 15% is a pretty big improvement though, relative to where they were. No, they aren't going to win an election in Scotland any time soon, and they are massive beneficiaries of Labour's spectacular collapse, but none the less they are the 2nd largest party at Holyrood. While there is an unpopular Tory government down south. Lets not stress how utterly unimaginable that was 10 years ago. 10 years ago Labour had 28 more seats than the Tories and were leading a coalition with the Liberals. They now have 7 seats more than Labour. 13 seats more than they had in 2007.

They are still awful bastards, but it's still an impressive turnaround. Hasn't happened in isolation, but Davidson has made the most of the circumstances. Quite the opposite of Labour.

Part of the issue is that Labour didn't convince their voters to put them down for the list votes.
Labour and the Tories had similar vote share (Can;t remember who was ahead, but it was close) but since the Labour vote share was almost exclusively in the Constituency vote, and anemic at best in the list vote, then they didn't get an appropriate number of MSPs

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

https://twitter.com/ScotNational/status/849656497084739585

Do Rab's heartfelt words resonate with any of us who attended schools in Scotland?

I got Wallace in Secondary, not Primary, but didn't even get Black Douglas, and I think I have a familial connection to him.

There's gently caress all Scottish history other than Wallace, and Bannockburn covered in schools.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

That would be a nightmare result for the SNP.

How exactly is a number of seats more in line with the percentage of votes actually received by the party a "nightmare result"?

They almost literally cannot gain any seats, it's expected for them to lose a few in any reasonable democracy.
Losing as many as 10 might be a bit worrying for the party, but % of seats in line with % of vote can only be a good thing.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

The Glasgow Labour leaflet is also all about opposing Independence referendums.

My partner is a candidate in Ayrshire, and their leaflet is all about the local area issues.

Matt Kerr seems a good egg, but after that im likely voting green and snp.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

My partner is standing in a ward.
There's 2 SNP candidates, 1 Labour, 1 Tory, and 3 who are basically independents, though 2 are going under minor party names.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

Which ward?

At a count right now. Stressful and boring all at once.

Don't doxx me.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Acaila posted:

Also, how has nobody mentioned Tories getting elected in Ferguslie Park and loving RAVENSCRAIG?! That to me is the most insane result of the whole election right there.

EDIT: Holy sweet Jesus, I have a Tory councillor.......What the actual.... (and they came top of the votes.....loving hell)

Wait,I heard about ferguslie and shettleston, but they got one in the craig?

gently caress me.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Angepain posted:

Final Glasgow results in, SNP+Green or SNP+Labour are the only possible combinations. SNP 39, Labour 31, Tories 8 and Greens 7.

It'll be green, or snp minority with likely green support. Juat like westminster. mcAveety is still on top of Glasgow Labour (somehow) so unless he does a Nick Clegg, it'll be greens.

Best case would be hoping Matt Kerr crosses the floor. Or if he's staunchly anti indy, goes independent.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

Oh, right. I should have posted this weeks ago:

Of these, Berwickshire and Dumfriesshire are almost certain to go Tory. Everywhere else, I don't think they've got a prayer. They're in third place in all of them, and by some margin everywhere except Dundee East and Ochil.

I genuinely think Matt Kerr might have a shot, though the snp incumbent has a strong record.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Well, that website is not pro Labour, it's anti-Tory.

Also, how many seats are there were the Labour candidate is the main opponent to the SNP?

Any Glasgow one?

Note: You never asked for "credible" or "real" opponent, some of these will be huge majorities for the SNP, but Labour are solidly in second in most if not all aruond Glasgow I think.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I'd say Labour have a solid chance in about half as many seats as the Tories do, in Scotland.

I think they'll top out at 2, maybe 3 wins, but I do think they'll improve on last time. (though it may be net even if Murray loses his seat)

And don't ever call me the Scottish Pissflaps again, tia

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

The way I see it, both the SNP and ScotLab have made mistakes campaigning.

The SNP could have distanced themselves from calls for indyref2, which they clearly want to do at the moment, but letting Angus Robertson do all debates except last nights Scottish leaders one, and let him lead all campaigning. He's the Westminster leader of the SNP, and he doesn't have the same public perception of constantly talking about indyref, though of course being in the SN{ means he'd be accused of it nonetheless.

For ScotLab, is goes back much further, and they won't change tack now until Dugdale goes.
Their best play would be to avoid talking about indyrefs in any way. if asked, give a noncommittal "I personally don't support independence, but we're not currently having a referendum" line and stick to policy.
If they really feel strongly about it, they can campaign for No in an indyref2, though I'd suggest separate from the Tories.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

It doesn't matter, because East Ren will go Tory.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Puppy mamer in chief

Oh gently caress off with that.

It's only for working dogs, who suffer awful injuries to their tails if they don't have it docked, and the law requires a vet sign off on it before it is docked.

I'm no animal lover or hater, I'm fairly ambivalent about the whole thing, but that's ridiculous and you know it.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Aramoro posted:

Could you not just ban hunting with dogs?

It covers more than just that:

(1) Law Enforcement (2) Activities of the armed force (3) Emergency Rescue (4) Lawful pest control (5) Lawful shooting of animals.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Is anyone in this thread taking part in the boycott of Highland Spring mineral water?

Is this another of your hugely successful boycotts?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

jre posted:

I'd be interested to hear how you commit a breach of the peace by posting on a forum. To head off your inevitable stupid follow up, it really obviously doesn't breach the offensive communication act either.

I don't have any animosity towards him, and he'll have learned a good lesson that
1. It's not a great idea to have a banner calling other people "these faggots"
2. If you are going to do that, the intent should be unambiguous enough for anyone to grasp

My problem is with idiots like yourself trivialising what people went through to get equality by comparing what the police did at the weekend to "the bad old days"

Quote this every day.

Oh goody.

I hadnt noticed you'd started posting in here as well as flaps.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Aramoro posted:

Hes posted in this thread for years in its various guises. You're not very attentive if you've just noticed.

That's entirely fair tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Of course she is. God Scottish Labour is so garbage. I really wish they weren't but this is the lovely world we live in, where a decade on from their first humiliating loss at Holyrood they are still struggle to come to turns with no longer being the natural party of government in Scotland.

No Outed. Out the closet.
Not from her job.

e; not that either would surprise me.