Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I thought that we'd done the whole Euro thing to death last time? Although Euro membership is technically compulsory, ERMII membership isn't and that's one of the conditions for Euro accession. You just refuse to join or say that you'll put it to a referendum when the time is right, that's the approach of the Swedes and the best way of going about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

That seems to be the model that the Czech government is moving towards, and that's a government that's meant to be pro-Euro.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

i still think that it actually is one

Acaila posted:

I only recognise three names there - the MEPs and Muscatelli, who IIRC everyone hates?

yeah everyone does; although I've forgotten why

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I should be in for the 20th if I'm not playing Cricket

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I've only read the National once (someone left it on the train and I was bored) and it was awful; it's doing the mail thing of pretending to be a respectable newspaper while selling tabloid crap.

I'm going to try and get in to Edinburgh relatively early on Saturday to have a little wander and maybe see some free poo poo I heard about; if anyone wants to join in then feel free.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I hope this show is good; its the first time that I've spent money at the fringe for a while...

I might be around that afternoon going to free fringe poo poo; if anyone is around and wants to join me then let me know.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

You're not the only one

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I shielded in the random bus that's down that way and got a bottle for around £3.50 which is pretty good for festival prices

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I can get really nice beer for under £3 at the Cricket Club, although that might be slightly subsidised since I'm a member. Even then, in Stirling that'd be expensive for a pint...

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I'm probably going to be around by half 5, depending on how quickly I can pick up my tickets. Anyone know anywhere likely to be less busy than the fringe shop?

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

If you aren't drinking £2 taddy lager just lol

I've seen places selling pints of loving tenants for near 4 quid during the festival; it's a universal thing

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 20, 2016

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I'll head there unless I hear otherwise; black and white jumper, grey jeans, colourful converse and wearing glasses

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I'm at Waverley now if anyone is just arriving

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I'm outside Biblos now; I take it that you are inside?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think May will be in a hurry to allow a second referendum.

There are a fair few reasons why not allowing one would be an incredibly dumb thing for her to do.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

jre posted:

What are those ?

It wouldn't end the debate; if anything it'd make the debate more angry and then you might have a Catalan type situation on your hands. The Scottish government would run something that vaguely resembles a referendum anyway which independence would win since a fair chunk of no voters wouldn't vote in a non-binding vote and then things just never get defused. Add in that attitude in Brussels in that situation would be broadly favourable to Scotland right in the middle of the Brexit negotiations plus also the fact that a second referendum was in the SNP manifesto in the last Scottish election in which they almost got another majority, and I'd say that you have a fair few good reasons to not oppose a second independence referendum.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

When I was at Primary School we did the Wars of Independence almost exclusively from what I can remember but I was in Stirling and the school was literally a minutes walk away from one of the suggested sites of the Battle of Bamnockburn (and the one where they do all of the reconstructions and where they built the museum for it a few years back) so that's only natural. First year history was all ancient history from the beginning of civilisation in Scotland; and all I remember from second year history was that we jumped around a lot and did nothing in any real depth. Int 2 and Higher history was Scottish and British social history in the early 20th century (so voting reforms, creation of the welfare state; Red Clydeside, that sort of stuff), inter-war Germany (which was literally all we did for Advanced Higher, my big piece of work was on the Foreign Policies of Gustav Stresemann) and the Civil Rights Movement in America. Those seem to be the three most popular ones in my experience.

Then I went to uni and studied Central and East European Studies and Politics, which was nothing to do with any high school history...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Acaila posted:

I keep meaning to drive up to Bannockburn to check out the new visitor centre. Apparently they've got some wargame-esque type thing you can play?
Thinking about it actually, both the bf and I are off work next week....

It's alright; nothing fancy but quite interesting. They have a few things; an interactive war games thing you mentioned plus the same thing showing how the real battle went, depends on the time as to what one you get. I live like 30 seconds away from it; I could check out times or whatever for you?