Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Henry McLeish is more or less a No to Yes atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Yes we get it Nikola, you need Scotland to be independent to join the EU. You can stop the show.

Nah she needs to demonstrate to the voters that she has tried every conceivable method of keeping Scotland in both the UK and EU. The reality is though that independence will be required, and so hopefully Westminster will continue to display the current level of competence and leadership for the next few months until that can happen.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Sturgeon's EU superhero team has been announced

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 28, 2016

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I can just picture that meeting now. Sturgeon walks into the room and asks "Can Scotland remain in the EU while being a member of the UK?" Everyone says "Nope, go and win independence, we'll provide tacit support to gently caress with the Brits", and then they sit around for 30 minutes playing candy crush on their phones.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Some clarification is needed here, due to the subject matter: do you mean the logical fallacy, or has this thread had a problem with people accusing others of being fake Scotsmen?

Both

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
We're all Jock Tamson's bairns.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The area of Glasgow is probably a majority population of new Scots and the only hate crimes I've witnessed are yoons who don't event live here moaning about it on social media.

I'm just guessing they're yoons based on the high number of Rangers based avatars.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Chas McGill posted:

I keep having to remind idiots that my dad was an immigrant, whereupon they trot out "not that kind of immigrant". Even in fairly multicultural Aberdeen there are unwitting xenophobes.

Does Aberdeen still have a fairly sizeable National Front presence? I lived there about 10 years ago and remember being shocked by the amount of NF and swastika graffiti around the place.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Lets be independent and stay in the EU, my partner's career depends on it and she can make so much more than I ever will.

Please pretty please.

EDIT: She's actually a No to Yes because of this referendum loving up her plans.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I can think of a sure fire way to end the Barnet formula.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Coohoolin posted:

Chvrches would be great but probably too cerebral for Eurovision. Just bring Lulu out of retirement.

Also OP pretty sure Kevin McKenna's been Yes for a while now, he's just milking the brexit a bit.

Yeah McKenna was a very late convert to Yes in 2014.

For Eurovision, we should just get Marti off the skag long enough to front a Wet Wet Wet revival.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Cant believe that oval office is Scottish.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
She seems to really be into memes.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Extreme0: Having now taken the chance to read through the past weeks opinion pieces in the Tory press, it would appear that the holy trinity of the Scottish right wing commentariat are all in the process of making the No to Undecided journey (depending on how things pan out over the next few months).

That Sinking Feeling - Chris Deerin

England has made its priorities clear - Alex Massie

Having spoken about refashioning case for Scottish independence, Sturgeon now has her chance - David Torrance

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Baron Corbyn posted:

Speaking as a Welsh person, it's always funny seeing Scots complaining that they don't have enough power. Though perhaps we shouldn't have any more power based on the EU referendum results.

The Welsh assembly should have more power, but you only ever get anything when you threaten to leave so probably vote Plaid next time.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Niric posted:

Thanks for this. Already following most politicians of interest/job relevance, but Neil Slorance was a new one!

[EDIT: most elected politicians I should say. If you know any interesting activist/policy types, that'd be great]

Scottish Twitter lawyers are a pro follow, especially for land reform and constitutional issues. I'd recommend @PeatWorrier @loveandgarbage @trewloy @MalcolmCombe @profchalmers.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Niric posted:

These are perfect, thanks! One thing though, is @loveandgarbage now called something else? Account with that name seems to be inactive

It was a phone typo actually, loveandgarbage became trewloy at some point and got confused.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Angepain posted:

I wouldn't put it past him but we don't actually know it was Harvie

Too high up for the wee man to reach.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Question for Nats (and non-Nats of course).

If the UK government was to devolve basically everything except defence, and some useless royal family bullshit, while also negotiating full EEA status for the UK. Would you be happy with that as a constitutional compromise for the foreseeable future?

I think that I would be tempted.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Most of the parents I know who are aware of the legislation hate it. I don't think it's because they hate the SNP, they just don't like the idea of being watched and judged.

I'm not particularly bothered but then I'm really bad at caring about privacy laws anyway.

They aren't being watched though, it simply means that if a kid goes to the hospital one week with a broken arm, goes to scouts with a black eye, and possibly mentions to a teacher that dad sometimes gets angry. The NP would receive this info to determine if there is anything to be concerned about, which they can then report to social services if required. It's completely benign and will hopefully save children from abusive situations that may not otherwise be noticed.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

hookerbot 5000 posted:

But for whatever reason a lot of parents feel like this amounts to people keeping tabs on them.

The reason is that they are a bunch of zoomers, or that the policy has been deliberately misrepresented by opposition parties.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The Scottish Six is not about making the news more parochial, it's about making the news more relevant. The BBC has failed to come to terms with devolution and reports on issues that are wholly English as if they are UK wide. Other than for us to point and laugh, what's the point in the national news reporting on junior doctors contracts and a-level results?

Now the Scottish Parliament can raise taxes, and Westminster now has EVEL. Things have diverged substantially in the space of a couple of years, and will in all likelihood diverge even further. Having a Scotland centred national news broadcast is sensible and right.

Scotland 20whatever was pretty poo poo and I'm glad it's dead. It's quite hilarious that on a shoestring budget STV can provide better daily political coverage than the state funded broadcaster.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

forkboy84 posted:

How does having an extra 30 minutes from BBC Glasgow have any impact on the quality of news coverage? Quality is more important than quantity.

We get the same BBC News at 6pm until 6:30pm as you get down south. We then get Reporting Scotland from 6:30 until 7. The people who want a Scottish Six want all our main evening news broadcast, from 6 until 7, to be from Scotland. And yet we're assured this won't end up being parochial.

Anyone who has ever watched Reporting Scotland knows they regularly struggle for content, so the idea of an entire hour, even with Westminster/rUK & international reports, it stretches credibility.

Reporting Scotland struggles for content because all it reports on are murders, and some rather shallow coverage of Holyrood. I'd hope that with a wider scope and much higher budget they could do something more comprehensive. The BBC in London would still exist and the hypothetical Scottish Six would have access to correspondents and video features that they can slot in amongst their own content.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The Scottish government doesn't have a drugs policy. It's reserved to Westminster. Though I'm surprised to see them being accused of being soft touch as the SNP leadership is annoyingly conservative when it comes to things like decriminalisation.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
gently caress the fishing industry, the 'no take zone' in Lamlash bay should be extended nationwide imho.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'm slap bang in the centre of Govanhill ground zero and it's fine except for the fly-tipping landlords, and absolute neglect of Glasgow City Council.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Heads up on todays Twitter outrage.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Pissflaps posted:

The only good politicians at Holyrood are Sturgeon and Davidson.

Incorrect because you missed he of the dreamy eyes

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Former SNP MP and social media idiot charged with fraud:

http://stv.tv/news/west-central/1368249-mp-natalie-mcgarry-charged-in-connection-with-fraud-offences/

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Why did no one tell me that Banff has its own brand of ginger. Is it just Red Kola, or something else entirely?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The Scottish government should just make the next referendum a 'retweet for yes like for no' Twitter poll.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'm up for lederhosen, they're comfortable and practical.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I was half asleep listening to GMS this morning, did Kezia Dugdale confirm that Scottish Labour now support the devolution of employment law and the council tax freeze?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I like Obama, I hope he has a good time in Edinburgh.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
My early days bullshit prediction is that the SNP will lose 2 or 3 seats to the Tories, ScotLab and the Liberals will continue to be irrelevant, the Greens will not figure.

Tories will then claim that the Nats don't have a mandate because they only won 45% of the vote (ignoring the fact that they have are probably the UK Govnmt on the basis of 30something%.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Have the SNP confirmed that Thompson will be deselected, she is still suspended but I was under the impression that they were planning on reinstating her membership due to the police investigation leading to nothing.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Niric posted:

This is really interesting, thanks for posting it. Pity to see that my former councilor, Mhairi Hunter, is standing for re-election- I follow her on twitter and she comes across as the epitome of an irritating (and really rather dim) party hack.

I know Mhairi she's a good egg and has been a good councillor.

Despite party allegiances, the Labour councillor Soryia Siddique is also a fairly decent. I hope she is re-elected, I'll be ranking her highly on the ballot.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I love Nicola Sturgeon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Acaila posted:

We've just had the SNP at the door checking if we've voted. Isn't that normally something parties only to do their very strong supporters? (like, people they give poll cards do and then they go chap doors of those who haven't handed their card in to the party hack at the polling station)

They election day canvas based on Yes campaign data to target people who ranked independence highly on the scale, with the presumption that they will probably either vote SNP or Green.