Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Collateral Damage posted:

The only way to to fix the problem is to either make Stockholm unattractive to employers (not a very good solution) or build more housing until X is larger than Y.

My favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

throw to first drat IT posted:

Why is Systembolaget trying to convince EU that Finns cannot handle aqua vitae and that given chance, we would consume all alcohol we can get our hands on?

Because it's true?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Zudgemud posted:

How does one make tar from pinewood?

For best results you start out with a pine tree and remove the bark from parts of the tree, not enough to kill it, but to "injure" it, this increases sap formation in the wood, which is what you want. Do this for 2-5 years. Tree stumps and roots are also great sources if you don't want to spend that much time.

Last summer they had a big traditional tar burn going nearby me.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Wild Horses posted:

lol varför

To take everyone else down with them into the black hole of diarrhea that is the euro?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Mera som tyskarna vill ha mera länder att elda upp som bränsle för deras euro-export-maskin

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Germany does not want that either, because it would means many many billions of euros in transfers per year, like they'd have to shove like 3 billion euros at least to Finland every year to offset the problems of the euro, nevermind other places. The germans want the status quo and to retain it as long as possible no matter how it hurts other member countries, because their hurting helps their exports.

This whole thing is sick and cancerous at it's core. gently caress it. gently caress globalization while I am at it too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Mercrom posted:

Also gently caress entropy. The second law of thermodynamics was such a bad idea.

You're one of those types who think globalization is inevitable then?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Globalization isn't inevitable and doesn't required the un-invention of boats.
http://www.abounderrattelser.fi/news/2015/04/nu-finns-fem-myter-om-finlands-ekonomi-pa-natet.html

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's all the effort I am gonna bother with.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

His Divine Shadow posted:

For best results you start out with a pine tree and remove the bark from parts of the tree, not enough to kill it, but to "injure" it, this increases sap formation in the wood, which is what you want. Do this for 2-5 years. Tree stumps and roots are also great sources if you don't want to spend that much time.

Last summer they had a big traditional tar burn going nearby me.

I know nobody actually cares about making pine tar. But I do and that's good enough for me.
So here's an article in a local paper detailing traditional manufacturing of pine tar. I am gonna be there this July and watch this.
https://issuu.com/visitnarpes/docs/visitn__rpes_2017_sv_webb

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Nice piece of fish posted:

Bjørnie will stop them <3

This dude?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

He should be careful asking for what he deserves, might be that begins with a G and ends with -ulag.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Beeswax posted:

The noose, famous symbol of transport.

Into the afterlife.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Holy poo poo.... piss.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Rnr posted:

*I'm bored, let's see what my super leftie friends in the scandi thread is up to*
*Literally 3 pages of crazies piling on Split for saying common inoffensive poo poo* :yikes:

Pretty sure it was like two trolls who then got told to STFU by everyone else.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Immigration has positively affected us out here in the swedish-finnish countryside, bringing in more people to offset the consequences of urbanization and keeping houses occupied, businesses open, stores open, taxes coming in. I think we need more immigrants sent here so we can swedify them increase the amount of swe-speakers in Finland.

Well that's my evil plan anyway.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Sep 3, 2018

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Savage Cracker posted:

Handling that kraken of a ballot in a tiny booth is part of the voting experience

Whenever I have voted in Finland there is a big poster in the booth with all the options on the ballot listed there, I only get a small folded card that I write the number representing the person I want to vote for.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Won’t make any difference. If your envelope has more than one ballot when opened by the counters, they will count as one vote if for the same party, or invalid if for two different parties.

To me, ballots behind the screens means the poll workers will have a harder time making sure nobody made off with the entire pile of a party’s ballots. They’d have to come behind the screens more often, which is disruptive and will look like they’re prying on and influencing votes.

How about this system, which is what we do in Finland. When you arrive to vote you are handed a single, folded paper by the poll worker, that has a circle inside that you can write one number on, then inside the booth all the parties and/or candidates are represented and so you can vote for anyone with a universal ballot paper, and you only get one to take with you into the booth. After you are done the ballot is stamped and put into a box.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

The whole ballot paper thing got me googling and apparently it's like what I thought:
http://www.addeto.com/sv-SE/j%C3%A4mf%C3%B6rande-fakta/visste-du-detta-om-finland--25352299

And apparently the finnish system is not as common internationally.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I guess mainly skill and dexterity

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

China needs to be north korea'd

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

The EU?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Rich people wouldn't whine about the tax rate if they were too busy not getting guillotined.

But I am also reminded of articles such as:
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/ekonomi/sveriges-storsta-bolag-nolltaxerar

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Detta är något av det bästa jag sett.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-OgXq4Lqyw

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Poil posted:

Bildt, Ulf och Åkeson
med er vi resa får
Alla i samma bil
tillbaka hundra år

?

Jag fattade just.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PakjHLcS_zU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Katt posted:

If that's a challenge to a royal meme war then you're on :black101:

Schysst bössa knugen har

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Fader Movitz posted:

What scandal are you talking about? The antisemitism? The corruption? The faked research? The fatal throat surgery?

Did Lars Von Trier become the hospital director?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Katt posted:

He responded with a rant about how he voted Palme and liked the social democrats better then.

Well, they were a helluva lot more left wing economically back then, you should have asked if that was that why he liked them.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

MiddleOne posted:

Palme de-regulated the banks and inadvertently caused the 90's crash.

Yeah but doesn't that still put him as more left than today?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

So what you're saying is you shot Palme, for those reasons.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I found out just now that in Sweden apparently you guys are so underfunded that parents are expected to bring the kids dresses and costumes for Lucia rather than the school having it's own store of suits and costumes for kids to use. Just one small thing.... But many small things can make a river...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Katt posted:

The little gingerbread men have hats made out of folded paper :negative:

I was also scolded for pointing this out and was told by a swedish parent he would be very angry if schools were wasting money on things like this in Sweden. And it's not the job of schools to raise children.

To that I think ;

1) It does not seem to be helping swedish students grades any...

2) gently caress no, the school has a super important job in helping raising your kids. If you have forgotten the old saying "it takes a village to raise a child" in Sweden (why schools are even more important in a modern society) then no wonder only 74% of them graduate. A school is definitely more than just learning maths, reading and writing and stuff like that. It's also where you learn to be a well rounded person.

Like Sweden, you are the america of the nordics, please get better.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Valfrihet is probably the single biggest disaster that happened to Swedish schools I know of.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Alhazred posted:

In Norway we used to have something called Oslo frokosten to ensure that every kid got at least one decent metal, but now we can't afford that anymore for some reason

In Finland we have hot cooked lunches in schools and daycare. I remember actually quite fondly the food from junior grades 1-6, I went to a small rural school and the cook and a helper made the food in the local kitchen. No reheated lovely food from centralized kitchens. I think it's from here my hatred of centralization of people, political power, kitchens, everything, began.

This still varies from place to place, but where I now live it's very good too, my kids daycare has their own kitchen and I am so happy they get to eat several decent meals per day there (main course is lunch and smaller snacks). We are told they eat well and often want second helpings. Meanwhile at home they are the pickiest eaters ever. So thank god they have one place they eat well at.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Mordaedil posted:

Same, though I remember the microwaved Hold-it thing was a popular affordable lunch item most kids went with in junior high.

And in high school where I went there was a Rema 1000 across the street, so we usually just went there to purchase lunch and sat in the grass and watched the upper classmates beat each other up getting ready for Russ.

Norway is a weird place to grow up.

I've always taken pride in the fact that Finland had free school lunches since 1943. Really helps the poorer people too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

MiddleOne posted:

I don't see the point of dismantling the Alliance if your next step is replacing it.

quote:

He came closer to the bed. ‘For ever!’ he repeated. ‘And now let us get back to the question of ‘how’ and ‘why”. You understand well enough HOW the Party maintains itself in power. Now tell me WHY we cling to power. What is our motive? Why should we want power? Go on, speak,’ he added as Jonas remained silent.
He started and almost cried out. A pang of pain had shot through his body. Löfven had pushed the lever of the dial up to thirty-five. ‘That was stupid, Jonas, stupid!’ he said. ‘You should know better than to say a thing like that.’ He pulled the lever back and continued:

‘Now I will tell you the answer to my question. It is this. The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Hahaha. I missed the TFR part and thought it must be because of how often everyone advocates killing the rich here.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Katt posted:

You know what else is bad for the environment? My 9 series Volvo crashing and bursting into flames due to icy roads.

I wish they'd stop salting the roads here, use sand or gravel. They don't use it now that the temperatures are too cold so the roads are just plowed and they are perfectly driveable with studded tires.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Never seen this comic before, but this one seemed apt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Låter djävligt, Sverige.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mM9hvl6Wo4