Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Randarkman posted:

So, have you all done your democratic duty, fellow citizens?

Det kan du ta deg faen på! Haven't missed an election since I was old enough to vote (mumble mumble this would be my ninth time, including local elections). Gives one the right to bitch and complain about the results, if nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Randarkman posted:

I'm mad about regional and municipal reform. I think that's entirely where they have their polling success in the last 6 months from.

That, and their party leader's winning laugh.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

Probably not, but it'd be a good start.

Couldn't hurt anything important, at least.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Nice piece of fish posted:

Well, nuclear proliferation concerns and challenges aside (they are mostly insurmountable), it's fair to say that scandinavia as a whole might be better served geopolitically with a mutual defence alliance more than what NATO is. If let's say Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland (and maybe Iceland?) had a mutual military organization I do think that would enable us to put up a realistic defence against our most realistic aggressor. Sure. It would probably be beneficial in general for the scandis to integrate and cooperate closer in other areas as well, both economic and political. As a bloc, the scandis would be a much more significant geopolitical force and we do have a lot of strengths we could mutually benefit from.

I believe there was some effort towards such a thing right after the Second World War, a missed opportunity if you ask me. Norwegian oil, Swedish industry, Danish... sausages? Whatever. It would have been an economic and political power of some significance, probably have a geopolitical role in the Cold War years sort of like a bigger and stronger Sweden.

There was briefly a joint Norwegian-Swedish nuclear program back in those days, too. Sure it would have born fruit. (Norway was actually the sixth country in the world to get a working fission reactor up and running.)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

That's absolutely not how it works. If the canned sunshine starts flying, anyone nuclear-capable is getting a few counter-force hits just to be sure.

In a proper large-scale nuclear war everyone loses anyway and the only way to "win" is to make sure you die right away instead of having to linger in the aftermath.

I believe the real argument is that having a nuclear capability will protect you from having your lunch money stolen & your head shoved into the toilet bowl by non-nuclear means. Like, Borduria may be ruthless and have a stronger army than Syldavia but if the Syldavians have a few nukes and the Bordurian regime believe they're willing to use them in extremis, then invasion is averted and peace will continue.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

throw to first drat IT posted:

live as unclothed savages in the forests.

Temperatures may be higher than what used to be normal but it is still November so gently caress that.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

I didn’t wear a tie at my own wedding if you think I’m wearing one for work you’ve got another think coming.

Same. The tie should be consigned to the dustbin of history.

(And I'm NOT saying this just because I can't remember how to tie one. Not JUST because of that.)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Cynic Jester posted:

lol

https://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/i/g7krR0/tor-mikkel-wara-gaar-av

Norwegian MoJ steps down after his significant other organized a false flag operation against themselves, culminating in lighting their car on fire.

Even going so far as to send anonymous threatening hate mail to other politicians from the same party.

:yeshaha:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

TLM3101 posted:

That sound some of you might have heard last night was me laughing like a hyena for a solid ten minutes about this particular gem. At this point, I'm actually looking forward to who the next FrP fuckup in the position will be, and how they will inevitably cock things up and be forced to resign. If we could just keep rotating the post like this, they won't have anyone left by the time the next national election hits.

Minister of Justice for FrP = drummer for Spinal Tap.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Cynic Jester posted:

I targeted both men and women, clearly it is not terrorism!

I targeted those specific 34 people as individuals -> not terrorism.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

Just want to add that I'd totally vote for somebody with Down's, provided that they're on the functional end of the scale. Rarely will you encounter more friendly and naturally compassionate people, which would be a huge step up from the two-thirds in parliament who're legit sociopaths and still require minders to guide their every move.

...you know, I've encountered a number of special ed kids over the years (and my mother worked as a special ed teacher for most of her career) and I guess a bunch of those kids would do a better job than some of the politicans we currently have.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

McCloud posted:

For one I bet they have a sense of empathy

At least a good number of them do.

And most of them are really poo poo at deception. What you see is what you're going to get.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
We totally should have gone with a Nordic alliance in the late 1940s. Joint Swedish-Norwegian nuclear program, etc. Would have been sweet. Could have worked much like a bigger Sweden in postwar global politics, neutral as gently caress and waggling the finger of morality at both superpowers while at the same time obviously friendlier to the western democracies.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Being Minister of Justice for this government is kind of like drumming for Spinal Tap.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Yes, well, like any party they have to recruit politicians from that crowd of people who are not only willing to vote for them but also to join and be active members of the party organization, so there you go.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Katt posted:

What's the deal with Norwegians who visit Sweden and then they drive in the left lane on the motorway and just linger there forever?

Oh, the same Norwegian drivers do the same thing in Norway, too.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Kids: Notorious for being hygienic and not sneezing right into your goddamned face.

Ahahahaha.

(If memory serves, you work with small kids? I don't, but I have four of the cute little plaguebearers myself. Yeah. Hygienic.)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Time to oil & sharpen the guillotine yet?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I knew intellectually that people were filthy beasts, but this crisis has really cemented in me the need to actually try to protect myself against that fact. The safest option seems to be to act like everyone has hands made of poop.

I have taken all my kids to baby swimming classes (and then to subsequent swimming classes as they've grown) so I've spent an awful lot of time in shower rooms with other people over the past 11 years. And the number of other parents I have observed who consistently wash themselves and their spawn properly is depressingly low. Like, probably in the single digits, across all those years.

So yeah, filthy goddamn animals.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Cardiac posted:

You got kids yet?
Cause whatever you think you know of the strength of your immunesystem will be reevaluated at that point.

Yah. I feel like I've spent more time with minor respiratory infections than without, ever since #1 kid started daycare almost ten years ago. Can't say I've seen any improvement over time either, the drat kids just keep bringing new plagues to the house.

(Like, when and if we do get COVID-19 in the family, we probably won't notice until and unless we develop severe symptoms, since the typical light/starting symptoms are pretty much indistinguishable from how we adults are feeling much of the time anyway.)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Case in point: Flexus.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Re: ww2 chat. Yes, I'm pretty sure Stalin didn't feel a particular need to grab more thinly populated Arctic real estate (which they already had a bit of in the USSR), especially when it would have a steep diplomatic cost. (Norway, unlike Finland, having been forced into the war on the Allied side, etc.)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Heck, there are machines still running DOS, controlling various industrial equipment, because they just work. No networking or anything, obviously.

I swear that not long ago I saw some pictures of a workshop somewhere still using a goddamn Commodore 64 to run some equipment. "We just turn it on and it just works."

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Happy 'gently caress You Denmark Day'!

Weeeell... arguably the shenanigans of 1814 were more of an attempt at "gently caress you Sweden" given exactly who our guys were trying to install as King of the independent Norwegian state.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

GyverMac posted:

You are right, the Danes gave us a pretty cool king so we good.

Not talking about Haakon VII, but Christian Frederik. You know, that Danish prince who later inherited the throne of Denmark, and was elected as king of Norway for some months in 1814. Arguably an attempt to preserve a personal union between Norway and Denmark.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Industrial mink farming kind of needs to go away in any case.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Katt posted:

I had no idea Sweden had an American style "war on Christmas

Eh, Norway too.

Last year, I think, the usual suspects were getting all riled up because a school somewhere held a "vinterfest" instead of something beginning with "jul", of course it was OMG SNIKISLAMISERING and all.

Except it had nothing to do with any Muslims whatsoever. See, some of the kids at the school were Jehova's Witnesses...

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Fox Cunning posted:

It is perhaps the biggest and oldest tradition we got. I’m sentimental enough to feel that we should keep the word. The word isn’t even christian per se. Also I doubt the the people involved, that is the children, get offended. The jehovas witnesses can suck my julgris as well.
As far as I can be arsed to care, the fault is with the JW parents for being in a weird cult and not letting their kids participate in normal stuff. And with the xenophobes for latching on to anything like this and making it about OMG MUSULMANS ARE COMING. In reality Muslims pretty much don't give a poo poo about how mostly-lapsed Christians celebrate their holidays. And the xenophobes mostly don't give a poo poo about Jehova' s Witnesses.

A little while ago there was a satirical article about St. Lucia celebrations being modified to better include Muslims, by removing the live pig from the parade. Because, you know, the pig is traditionally an important element. A depressing number of idiots on Facebook thought it was real.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
I am also Norwegian and so was that satirical article. The joke obviously being that St. Lucia celebrations have never included a pig, live or otherwise, in any capacity. Nevertheless idiots were outraged.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
There are some elements that probably have continuity with pre-christian traditions, though. Brewing of special beer, for example. Or propitiatory sacrifices to fjøsnissen.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Nothing is static, no. Except for every generation insisting that the way things were done in their own childhood is the only true tradition.

We do know that the yule beer had some religious significance to the pagans; after adoption of Christianity the brewing continued but with no further religious significance as far as I know. Strictly speaking not Christian traditions then, just traditions allowed to Christians.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Sacrificing to minor spirits is definitely paganism.

Common as hell in a lot of countries across the planet, too. Very often as a remnant tradition from otherwise extirpated paganism.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Yah, in Norway we basically had very good luck with the timing of the first rapid lockdown. For once, the right people made a fast and correct decision.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah I 'member. Local institutions basically called their incompetence bluff.

The heroes we needed.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Beeswax posted:

If God did not want people to die in comas, God would not have invented offices and floors. This is fairly basic theology.

Or viruses. Hail Nurgle.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

I would have thought Norwegians were madder at Danes but, uh, no?

Well, 1814 [2] is quite a bit longer ago than 1940-1945 [1], or even 1905.

[1] While it's doubtful if Sweden could really have done anything much against the interests of Germany in WW2, there was and still is some saltiness among Norwegians about their wartime conduct. While Denmark escapes such sentiments given that it could have done pretty much nothing in any case (being small, flat and right next to Germany, it was conquered in about the time it takes to drive a tank across).

[2] There is a school of thought that views the events of 1814 as at least partially a Norwegian attempt to stay in union with Denmark, rather than going for full independence. Evidence: The guy they chose to be the King of independent Norway was also in line to inherit the Danish throne, which I'm sure was a mere coincidence...

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Baudolino posted:

Norway is one of the countries with the strictest views on drugs in Europe. It will take decades to soften that attitude. If ever legalize weed and other drugs we will be among the very last western countries to do so. And even then there will a bunch of lame rules making it illegal to sell eatables that taste good so kids won`t mistake them for candy.
I don`t know anyone over 30 that is for decriminilazation.

Decriminalization? Here's one. I'm pushing 50 (actually almost 48 and a half) and have been in favour of decriminalization for as long as I can remember. (Not entirely sure about full legalization though). Norwegian drug policy has been poo poo and harmful for longer than I've been alive and it's time to try something different which does not involve treating users as criminals.

(And no, I don't use anything myself; never have, probably never will, since I am a boring square. Not a teetotaler though. I guess if weed were legal and generally socially acceptable on a comparable level to alcohol when I was growing up, I would have probably tried edibles at least once (but probably only edibles, since I loving hate even regular tobacco smoke and from first-hand experience know that the other stuff stinks even worse).)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Stereotypically, Danes enjoy driving their campers and mobile homes up here, but struggle when they come to any kind of terrain that isn't flat with roads that go straight.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Conversely; I grew up on the middle-western coast of Norway but now live near Oslo. For the first several years (and even still, sometimes) I struggled a bit because of finding myself in a place where you can't immediately tell roughly where you are simply by scanning the horizon and seeing what the mountains look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

fnox posted:

You know what was certainly disappointing? Being told all my life that Venezuelan chocolate is the elite, the best chocolate in the world and that everyone acknowledges that fact. Then I came to Sweden, tried a Marabou bar and liked it way more than anything I've had before. I know it's all Mondelez nowadays but if Swedes have got something actually right, culinary speaking, it is in terms of desserts.

Next, try some Norwegian milk chocolate. Specifically from Freia (yes, "same" as Marabou, but they have their own production facilities and the process they use is ever so slightly different.)