Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Who's going to keep track of all these components? Sounds like a retailer/importer nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
The bizarre thing is how living space m2/per person in Stockholm is among the highest in Europe... just feeding the city more housing won't solve this problem (considering supply is technically quite high...).

A totally stagnated rental market is a huge part of the problem which is affecting the property market. Its almost impossible to get a hold of a proper rental contract. The turnover is abysmal, no one is willing to let go of a regulated contract as the rent rebate is the equivalent cold hard cash. Some people would rather keep a place empty than loose the contract (just in caaase...).

Otoh just removing the rent regulation overnight would be a clusterfuck, but there has gotta be a better compromise to get the some turnover and freeing up rental apartments.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Rexides posted:

e: drat, I think I misunderstood your post

Well i spelled lose "loose" so who knows what I was thinking :11tea:

MiddleOne posted:

It wouldn't help the situation. The same people who get locked out of condos today due to the steep capital requirements would fail to get the unregulated rental properties (which do already exist in Sweden since any new or renovated property effectively lacks rent-control) because they instead have prohibitive income requirements. I'd still have to wait 5-12 years to get an apartment, only now I would get robbed by speculators on the rental front too. The rental problem is not a fault of pricing, it's all supply. All de-regulating the market would accomplish is pricing even more people out. Other countries have already tried this, it never works.

It also bears mentioning that supply is the long-term solution to the lack of housing but nothing short of a market correction (read: Price collapse) is fixing the current pricing dilemma in the private market which is fueled by rapidly increasing household debt and overly generous subsidies.

I agree there is a lot of madness in this market that only a correction will resolve. So just de-regulating everything would just spread that madness to the rental market in its entirety.

But as you say there are some rentals that skirt the edge of "market" rates - whatever they actually are. The problem is that these more expensive rentals are such a small part of the available stock, and even if they were close to market rates they are still not available for renters in any reasonable or dynamic way. You need to queue essentially.. Because of that the choice most people are met with is simply buy or bust - only by buying do you have any real agency in how/where to live. So renting isnt even a real option for most people moving in, and they are forced to enter the property market instead.

(IIRC new apartments are still "lightly" rent controlled, enough so that they are still quite popular. Those built by the public housing corps in Stockholm actually have no significant income requirements (used to be max 1/3 of gross income, now you just need 5k sek after rent is paid essentially). Suffice to say they are quite popular. I think maybe the Djurgårdsstaden ones are hitting rates where people might balk.... maybe, because the houses are far from empty.)

So i guess we need lots more expensive rentals! Much more. Hell, decouple them from rent control entirely to incentivize. Let the builders take the risk.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 15, 2017

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

Copy-paste Vasastan onto Gärdet.
Gärdet delenda est

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

Wait what. Can you show your sources? Also, rent-control reduction historically solves fuckall, it just puts more money in landlord's pockets (so more downstream negatives and inequality effects).

Average living space/person in Sweden is 44m2 IIRC, which is among the highest in Europe. I remember seeing a list comparing European capitals, but all i can find now is this angry cornucopia post FWIW.

Eurostat has some decent data though.

Figure 4 there shows an average per country and some cities, Stockholm among them.

I guess my point is that we probably dont have a housing shortage objectively speaking. But we do have high standards and a ton of single households that are willing to pay a lot of money to keep it that way.
Or in the case of rent control, not so much money.

E:fixed eurostat link i think

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 16, 2017

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

You can't generalize. Sweden has one of the highest urbanisation rates in the modern world with Gothenburg and Stockholm both being record cities. It doesn't matter if there are a lot of big houses in the suburbs when all of the jobs and studying opportunities create a demand for small apartments. Flatsharing and overcrowding is very common in Stockholm because the only way to move into Stockholm without at least 300k in your pocket is by moving in with somebody else.

Yeah, but the interesting fact there is that the average in Stockholm is still 36 or 40 m2 depending on the source, which is actually kinda high. And Stockholm taken on its own isnt such a special snowflake. Its not like other cities dont have their own sprawly suburbs.

E: regarding flat shares. There is obviously a living space segregation problem here. A friend rents a room for 4k/m in Solna. My granny has 100m2 for herself on Söder for 7k/m...

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 16, 2017

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Svartvit posted:

Considering the enormous demand for black market contracts in Stockholm, is that somehow taken into consideration? Because a tentant without a contract wouldn't show up otherwise.

It is definitely possible. The figures seem to be from SCB and use the tax residence and property databases... and sure its common enough that people are registered in one place and live in another.
OTOH in the cases i know of they are still residing in the same metro at least. Being registered in stockholm also has huge tax advantages though so im pretty sure most people who could, would. :confused:

Just speculating here.

Now, undocumented residents and immigrants are another matter. But i think most european cities have their fair share, probably more so than Stockholm.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 16, 2017

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
We hardly needed the Danes to gently caress us when we had Mad Maud.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

Yeah he's not very popular at all, not even within the force. But I don't see how any other police chief could stop this.

My stepdad worked directly under him for quite a while in his previous positon. He hates Eliasson with a passion almost - calls him a constant manipulator and coward.

Its sad as I heard a lot about the Eliasson before he even became famous... and the things I hear now are pretty much exactly the same poo poo. loving make him landshövding or something already and minimize the damege done ffs.

E: the calm super cool professional bald policeman at the ~9pm press meet was not Eliasson though.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 7, 2017

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
70% of stockholmers are unwashed immigrants from the rest of the Sweden.

Taking our jerbs and apartments. :saddowns:

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
It doesn't work.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
35k is like the median full time salary in Stockholm FWIW

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Potrzebie posted:

Is it really? That sounds waaay high. The number I can find is 307k per year or 25.6k per month.

It kind of is, for employed people that is. 25.6k should include pensioners, unemployed etc. Essentially all income divided by all people in the subset.
Scratch that. It's true if you're looking at full time employed people. The difference seems to be that the SCB number is adjusted for 40h/week.

SCB tracks average salary for employed people as well. The national median is 30k, the average is just above 33k. The stockholm average is about 38k but i cant find the median anywhere :saddowns:

Anyway, hounding those who make a bit more than the average, when capital gains and property taxes are such a freebie in comparison, is not good optics for a lot of people. I certainly make more than 35k but im still turbofucked by the property market.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 25, 2018

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

porque no los dos friendo.

I'm a single schmuck trying to save up some money dammit :ssh:

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I assume the antisemitism, since that's what I've seen in other threads.

I love how we have to ask which scandal du jour it is this time.

Because the place is just that lovely.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
The metro has been making GBS threads itself the last few days. Was okay before that tho

The [not so] funny part is that much of it isnt even weather related. Its just gently caress you signalling faults on top of the familiar millions of tons of snow

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Assuming the ICU numbers are still plateauing, the dead must mostly be from all the äldreboenden getting emptied out. Its like none of them prepared for this at all. Or was it just considered inevitable? Who knows...

A ton of them are gonna have to close for lack of business soon so gr8 work everyone.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Better reporting of excess deaths is not going to explain why Sweden has 10x the number of deaths as Norway, and I'm willing to bet that the situation in that regard is pretty similar for both countries.

Maybe Norway is the outlier? Why is stockholm so much worse hit than the rest of the country? Could be sportlov, could be lovely luck. I think we are looking for some just world reason for why some places are hit worse than others and it could be just chance rather than agency. Just look at that South Korean congregation.

My guess is we were too sloppy in the beginning with the infamous sportlov returnees from italy etc. Some proper quarantine and testing those first two weeks could have turned the stockholm situation into something entirely different.

If you wonder why we seem so relaxed now... im guessing it mostly feels like things are cooling down though we've had the same light ish measuers in place for months. So no one has the energy to panic about it anymore.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 25, 2020

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
My god they shut down the theatre AND some dentists a week earlier. Wow. If that explains having only one tenth of the death rate even partially then im not really sure what the purpose of a full lockdown even is?

Anyway iirc most Stockholm retirement homes shut down visitation earlier than that on their own volition. A popular current theory is that corona was spread by part time staff that couldnt afford to stay home sick. No one expected that apparently....

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 26, 2020

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
If you're an hourly/on call with a zero hour contract being sick means a grand total of 0 sek for the duration. Would you even get that compensation for the first day now?

Anyway as a part timer your finances are precarious enough to start with, so even if you did get 80% pay for your 23,52% contract for 2 weeks that could nuke your budget from orbit. Better feel reeeal sick.

I remember working part time in the stockholm metro when studying and I was a shithead and worked right through every single flu and cold because karens meant no pay. Literally feverish passed out on the floor one night for the cash. And I probably had more stable finances then than some of the poor schmucks working in elderly care now.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 28, 2020

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
I have talked to very few people IRL here in Stockholm who have any significant issues with the level of measures/restrictions right now or earlier. I'm fine with them too. They can stay like this all summer so thats fine. I'll grant Tegnell that the strategy still makes sense in that regard.

He can't communicate for poo poo tho. And everything should have happened way faster and there was no reason to be so cavalier as he was at the start. The Äldrevård failure is probably beyond that poor fucker though.

e: Oh and the olds love him. My stepdad worked for Tegnell at some antediluvian point in time and he hated his guts then. Now suddenly he loves the guy lol.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 3, 2020

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
This calculus only makes sense if you put the value of a year of pleb life at zero tho. Which I'm sure some people do!

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Wellcome to Gotland Plague Island this summer everyone! Especially norwegians!

Half of Stockholm will be there too so feel free to mingle thoroughly.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Swedes rarely consider or take note whats going on in norway and denmark. Those who care seem to ok with it. Otoh few people seem truly worried about whats going on here either. Def feels like the pressing issues are over with.

Maybe we get slightly saltier when the finns get uppity/better than us? Havent noticed much of that this time around though

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
I said Swedes nåt skånians :colbert:

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Sweden is surely worse off than the UK or the US! The WHO is smoking some bad poo poo.

This is just getting politizised. I mean we suck compared to norway and denmark but compared to the rest of western europe things are pretty average here.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Då äntligen slipper vi alla lantisar

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Leffe: RIP to all the troubadours out there.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
With some incidental inside knowledge my impression is that Systembolagets home delivery suffers from having been a glorified angsty test run for 6 years. Mostly used by companies and for parties and rich lazy ppl.

It did not suffer exposure to Corona and actual real customer needs well. I suspect its being redesigned and recontracted or something soon.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 23, 2020

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Either that or IOGT-NTO!

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Now we get to laugh at MSB:s apparently lone communcations strategy intern, so there is a silver lining to it

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 14, 2020

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
I''m glad they didn't have that option, sad that they have the excuse now though. There are so many other options they could have gone for, and more importantly done the things they did faster that would have had better effects. Imagine just tightening the borders and recommending no travel a couple of weeks earlier back in feb/march. Or actually preparing for the worst this autumn instead of easing poo poo up at the worst moment.

I mean people do follow the recommendations to a large extent. Just err on the side of caution and spell them out a week or two early than too late ffs. The net gain from being able to actuallly force people to this and that is probably small.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 18, 2020

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Welcome to Parliamentarism. Dominant characteristics of this system of politics are weak constitutions and weak governments. Sweden has one of the most powerful parliaments and weakest constitutions of the world. That means the norms set by parliament rule the day.

I have come to appreciate this - delat ansvar är inget ansvar liksom. Everything starting and ending with parliament means they cant ever pass the buck and they have to take full responsibility for their desicions.
Little room for posturing, hoping some court will save the day or w/e.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Also im pretty sure a simple parliamentary majority would not suffice for openly passing unconstitutional laws. Like if all the important parties agreed across the blocks im sure it could be paved for in the commities and constitutional court.

Otherwise not really. And why bother then, just wait a few years and do it proper.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Mom worked at Posten as it became PostNord and she spent a few years working with danish HK ppl.

She doesnt like to talk about that time. But she has hated the Dane viciously since.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 25, 2020

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

fnox posted:

Somebody needs to explain to me why so many Swedes feel compelled to defend Tegnell when he has been wrong so many times already. In any other country he would've been fired, at least.

Im probably not speaking for everyone here, but in general most people kind of... apporoved of the level of measures taken? There was a lot of relief about the lack of lockdowns etc. Including me FWIW

So in essence there is a shared culpability in how it all ended up and so blaming it all on Tegnell would be pretty shameless.

Witness the power of fully operational consenus.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

fnox posted:

I can get that feeling for the first part of the pandemic. But then the second wave happened, and it continued to get worse, and worse. If you own the successes, then you also own the failures of your decisions.

I get that Tegnell is just the public face of an institution that operates largely autonomously with physicians, researchers, epidemiologists and so forth. But as the face of the institution, what kind of image are you presenting to the public when you get things horrendously wrong and face no consequences for it? It's hard to call the Swedish strategy as anything but a failure from numbers alone, so at least the appearance of change should occur.

Yeah in general the second wave hitting as hard as it did is much harder to excuse. People were expecting... well maybe not waaay harder measures but a certainly quicker response this time around and we got too little to late instead. Again. This is entirely on FHM and the government which left them at the reins.

At the same time the individual response and restraint as a consequence went further this time around. I work with retail and the way costumers have actually adapted and frequented our businesses outside of typical hours has actually been significant during the second wave since week 44. Much moreso than spring where people just did their usual hours YOLO.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Old people spend all their cash at ICA and spelombudet so thats two options.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
It sounds more like banks dont really have to make a fuss about small sums, its just they dont want to deal with cash in the first place. So the incentive is to hassle even regular customers about trivial sums and then blame the "rules" which technically allow for it.

When they do ask about the source of small sums as said above, theyre shamelessly saying they suspect you of foul play which is absurd.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

It's bad for a number of reasons, but if I'm going to keep it short:

Effectively doubling VAT on food and quadrupling it for public transit is a horrible idea

They should just make such necessities VAT exempt just like rent already is. Then they can still keep their spreadsheets neat without loving over everyone who makes less than 40k. I would be ok with the reform then.

Just raise the top marginal rate +1% to compensate. I promise not to cry about it as long as i dont get guilliotined.