Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Gyges posted:

I believe if there's one made before 1986 and you've got the proper licenses and have it registered with the ATF, you can own one.

legally owned automatics are almost never used in crimes, as well. i'm not even sure if there is a single reported instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Hold on monster dates from 1935

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

i dont think war crimes are not being charged because of lack of VR recreations lmao

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

That might be because 9/11 just happened and us millenials saw that in high school just before Iraq started. And the news machine related the two and people are stupid.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I dont know why liberals keep losing really.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Pirate Radar posted:

this obviously doesn’t 100% own because that interracial couple had their special day ruined, but... can we say this 50% owns?

It owns 60 percent

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Iranian executive class military is probably all hardened trench warfare survivors from Iraq, too.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

galagazombie posted:

While rural living is inefficient in an industrialized/post-industrial society you still need a small part of your population out in the boonies to do the farming and mining lithium brine and what have you. The problem with most of these dying small towns however is that they're not the aforementioned. They were coal-mining towns or steel mill towns or other insert-industry towns that are either obsolete or no longer need to be so spread out. These people need help, but not necessarily their towns. It's not pretty but we need to start funding peoples movement into better places and better housing instead of just letting them sit there and die. This of course pales in comparison to the disaster of the suburbs. For every bit of inefficiency you can point to for rural living the suburbs beat it in spades. The suburbs are all the negatives and none of the positives of combining Urban and Rural. If we really want to get serious about fighting a climate apocalypse destroying the suburbs comes before anything about rural areas every time.

Housing costs have risen so badly that it's impossible to move as well. Maybe the job is in New York City you'd never have the money to get there

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

That seems really terrible. Show the gently caress up you dumb young assholes.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Brown is incredibly academic and boring. And always looks like he stepped out of the men's locker room after water aerobics.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Antonymous posted:

artists, actors and other talent who get paid for their unique skill or idea directly are probably the one exception to capitalist production that can get filthy rich without exploitation, though obviously film, TV, music are as exploitative as any industry. JK rowling does benefit as a capitalist from toys and games and whatever else in that realm.

iirc even in the soviet union writer and poet were probably the highest paid position in society, though you had to join a guild to officially be a writer you couldn't just quit your day job and write.

it's actually a good question for both bourgeois econ and marxist econ why adam sandler gets $20mil / film and keeps getting it. That's gotta be tough to explain.

They aren't different. An idea is just an idea. You can write the best book ever, but are you gonna go out, run a paper mill (and managed a forest to log for paper), run and manage the printing presses etc?

There is labor being exploited along the way that is required for their existence. A rich actor can't act without the teams of other artists to support them and so on. Its a grift/myth individuals use to maintain the myth they are not replaceable and consolidate wealth. To a certain extent, this is true, but not 100 millions of dollars true.

Same for Rowling, sure if she had self published maybe. But endless merchandising and print requires a lot of labor to produce and sell that she certainly did not do.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Antonymous posted:

Obviously you have to break it down. Rowling does not own or run a book binding business, and I don't know exactly how it the book industry works but I'm guessing the publisher does not either and will make those contracts and negotiate those prices. Is Rowling making rent from her publisher and book binder due to her getting royalties from the story they are printing? Traditionally the publisher would be the capitalist, compensating the writer less than the labor time spent making the work, and profiting off of that, much like any artist who labors for their patron. It is assumed JK Rowling makes 15% off of each book sold, it just so happens that they've sold about 9 billion dollars worth of books. There's some other use values to having a physical book, like how it presents on your shelf if you put it up as decoration, but I cannot find an easy way to say that Rowling's writing isn't the main use value created and put to sale, that it isn't from her own labor alone. That's why I wrote ebook, so we can maybe ignore the artist who drew the cover and the labor and capital from printing a book.

But elsewhere it's hard to apply in a space where the work performed isn't 100% interchangeable and floating in a competitive market. I see intellectual property is a kind of private property, i.e. capital that does divert value away from those who create it, though the way it does this is a little obscure. The films, the games, the toys and bedsheets and so on - here to me she's clearly a capitalist, and the intellectual property of Harry Potter is being used as capital and siphoning off labor from society. I think marx's theory for what defines the capitalist era is mass production of identical goods, labor which is de jure free to negotiate and associate and not tied to land, and so on. But a key thing is that 'Tom Cruise' is not a reproducible good, nor is the story of Harry Potter, and that's where you'd need a real marxist economist to figure out mathematically, structurally what's going on.

As I recall Marx himself has virutally nothing to say about artist labor or intellectual property. Grundrisse says actors do no perform productive labor simply by making a play, but my making a play that returns more money to the theater owner than they are compensated. I think that's a point to the publisher being the capitalist, not Rowling. As far as intellectual property, he says that capitalism has constrained itself by universally measuring value as labor time and that this value and system of exploitation will apply to things which cannot logically be measured this way in order to keep the system consistent, as an example he mentioned science and social intercourse taking on value forms. I think you can easily make the jump that when ideas become factors of production legally guarded as private property it's obvious they are functioning as capital, I'm just having trouble seeing selling your direct labor for 15% of returns as immediately the same thing.

I agree, you have to break it down, but IDK what % Rowling has made from just the book sales vs everything else. I'm guessing the movies and merchandise are most of the money.

And there is the whole problem with information as a commodity, because generally it should trend to being free since its zero marginal cost to produce more digital copies of things.

My view is more that everything is a team effort, and its more apparent with things like sports stars. You might be an amazing athlete, but you are nothing without the rest of your team supporting that skill and the crew behind the team keeping you healthy, trained, etc.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I think they should focus on learning how to keep a tomato plant alive before they move on to deposing foreign leaders

https://twitter.com/JavelinaJim/status/1271221319074537473?s=20

Lmao why not just use pots so you can take poo poo with you. Garden prep for propper soil is actually hard to do and they are late as gently caress for planting. MAYBE if they held an area for a month they could crank out some salad greens + radishes assuming the proper beds were somehow prepared and waiting for them.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

IAMKOREA posted:

Looks like they smothered grass with cardboard and mulched with black compost. That's a perfectly fine way to start a garden. Check out Charles Dowding on YouTube. No dig is the future.

I think its just bags of potting soil (which are mostly compost anyway). I mean it works. And yah no dig is nice once you already have really good soil in place.

If you are having to build up good soil in place, starting from heavy clay or whatever, then its a different story. I.e. doing cover crops and integrating them in to increase organic % , I think ?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

https://www.tiktok.com/@yungraymcconaughey/video/6813739338438921478?lang=en

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

mostly posting this as an example of solidarity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EisvM8F_5PE

is this show still good on rewatch in 2020? I liked it when it was on despite the weird ending.

but I suspect if I watch it again, gonna be some weird bush era vibes

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Anarchy is always going to fail, not just under its own naivety, but as others said because any organized system can easily crush it.

Someone who loves anarchy should make a thread so we can make fun of it.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPDFATjS8l0

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

jaws is such a good movie all round, I love that 70s era of film where everything is kind of gritty and real feeling. The actors are a bit dirty, more like real people.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

What causes a submersion zone going clear east of the rockies from the pacific, that doesn't flood the great plains ?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

The solution around unions is to form co ops so there is no distinction between employer and employee.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

looks like he took the one down about the torture of going to the grocery store

but here it is on ars

bonus

these guys always about efficiency but there is always a crucial step or forty that is just them pawning off their energy consumption on someone else's labor or another economy in some way.

like how does he think those shirts are so cheap? lmao.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

getting rid of usury sounds cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

beautiful breezewood aka the reason i take i-80 at all costs