Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cryte Lynn
Jul 25, 2005
Now serving pwncakes at the Roflhouse

Problem description: I've had MS Office installed on my desktop since last fall, has worked just fine despite a minor hiccup after upgrading to Windows 10 that required a reinstall. Got it free through my university email account. Around a week ago I noticed an update available, let it install, and rebooted. Now, any Office application that I try to run crashes almost immediately upon showing the splash screen ("Microsoft Outlook has stopped working"). Word, Excel, Outlook, etc. This is bothersome b/c my uni email uses Outlook and I don't want to have to bust out the laptop just to check emails or write up 10+ page papers on it.

Attempted fixes: As per Microsoft's suggested fix, I tried installing the DisplayLink software. Upon post-installation reboot, Office works just fine and dandy but my graphics driver becomes completely hosed. I'm talking very choppy graphics, games don't even get 5 fps, the works. Microsoft's support page suggests that it is the dlumd32.dll file in C:\Windows\sysWOW64 which Office needs to run, so I made a copy onto a flash drive and uninstalled DisplayLink. This fixed my graphics problem, but Office crashes at splash again. Putting the .dll into the SysWOW64 folder (where DisplayLink installed it) still doesn't fix the issue. I've tried repairing, doing a clean install, looking down the rabbit hole of years-old MS Support threads; nothing works. I'm catching a bit of the madness. (BTW, I'm a goddamn retard and never made any system restore points before this poo poo went down).
Edit: I get the same results when trying to launch the programs in Safe Mode.

Recent changes: None, other than installing the latest update to MS Office.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit (Upgraded from Windows 7 last December)

System specs:
Processor: Intel i7-2600K
Memory: 16GB DDR3
HDD: 2TB Western Digital
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6570
Any other specs needed let me know, this is a home-built rig that was a hand-me-down from a friend and it's like 3 or 4 years old, and it's a hodge-podge piece of crap.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Cryte Lynn fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

What version of office exactly?

I'd try doing a complete uninstall and then installing Office to a new directory.

Cryte Lynn
Jul 25, 2005

Office 365.

I've tried wiping Office from the face of the earth and reinstalling, fresh download from MS's website, no dice.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Then I'd try the long and tedious manual uninstall:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Manually-uninstall-Office-2013-or-Office-365-1d1110d5-75a4-4154-969e-4260ff29b232

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Manually-uninstall-Office-2016-or-Office-365-4e2904ea-25c8-4544-99ee-17696bb3027b

Cryte Lynn
Jul 25, 2005

Did the manual uninstall. Re-downloaded and reinstalled Office. Installed successfully!

Tried to run outlook, it asked me for my email information. Progress!

Then... crashed again. All office apps crash on splash screen again. Square one. Pulling my hair out.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

You did install to a new directory right?

At this point I'd do a new W10 OS install if a computer was behaving like that. This kind of junk is why I never recommend anyone doing an OS upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryte Lynn
Jul 25, 2005

Yes, I installed to a new directory.

I was seriously about to just toss the whole fuckin thing in a fire pit, but I managed to fix it!

Before, I tried updating and uninstalling and reinstalling my graphics driver to no avail, but on a whim I decided to roll back the driver, then uninstall it, then reinstall it (the rollback'd version), then update it via Device Manager to the newest version, and like some kinda black goddamn voodoo it works now! GLORY!!!!

But seriously, thank you for the help, and yeah, never gonna upgrade an older OS to Win10 again. My laptop shall forevermore have Windows 8.1 on it. Clean installs are the way to go.

• Locked thread