Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
Problem description: Provide a DETAILED description of your problem here.
Periodically (multiple times a day), and seemingly randomly, none of my devices will be able to reach any websites and the browsers will report a DNS resolution error. I believe this is happening at the router level although I'm not positive. The problem lasts from 2-5 minutes and then resolves itself. The only feedback I'm getting is that the browser can't reach the DNS, even though the wireless signals on all the devices are good (none of the devices are connected physically to the router so I can't make a comparison there). The issue is not isolated to one specific OS, browser, or end-user device.

Attempted fixes: What have you tried to do to resolve the problem?
Called Time Warner, who came out and said they showed no signal degradation in the line. Their solution is for me to purchase a new modem, or rather, try and sell me on their own modem/router combo.

Tried resets of course. Problem persists.

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem?
No.

Operating system: e.g. Windows Vista (Home Basic/Home Premium/Business/Ultimate), Windows XP (Home/Pro), MacOS X, Linux, etc. Also specify whether your OS is 32-bit or 64-bit, you can check this in Windows Vista/7 by going to Control Panel, System, and looking at the "System Type" line.

Windows 10 64-bit

System specs: Machine manufacturer/model number. If a laptop, post the FULL model number, which is usually on a sticker on the underside of the machine. Please also include the basic specs such as processor and how much memory you have. If home-built, list your processor, motherboard, graphics card, memory, power supply, hard drive(s), etc. If any other hardware or equipment is relevant to your problem, list it here. If you have a networking issue, post the brand/model/revision of your modem and router from the underside of the boxes. Don't just post the output of a program that claims to show your computer specs, like Speccy, as they are frequently wrong and don't provide enough information (though this is better than nothing if you truly have no idea).

Custom built; relevant specs (although as I said it's not limited to any one device):
Mobo (on-board wireless)- Asus X-99 Deluxe
Router- Cisco Linksys E4200 Wireless Router - V2

U.S.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes/No
Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
This sounds like a router issue, have you tried updating the firmware?

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

Alereon posted:

This sounds like a router issue, have you tried updating the firmware?

I agree; and I have not. I wanted to wait and see what someone more knowledgeable in networking had to say before I messed with it. Will do so now.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
No luck with the update unfortunately. I used the newest ones from Linksys.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Try resetting the router to factory defaults. Did the problem start out of nowhere, or has it been happening for awhile?

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah, the issues have been happening since I bought the place. I had Time Warner come out and check it once and the guy apparently fixed something, which made things a bit better (like one drop a day), but not long afterwards things started getting worse again. I just wasn't sure if this could actually be an ISP issue or not.

Regardless, I just decided to get fiber as it's finally become available in my neighborhood. They gave me a fancy new NetGear router too which is pretty nice. I'll reset the other router and test it on my new ISP to make sure it's working and then sell it off.

Some semi-related questions if you guys wouldn't mind answering (sorry if I shouldn't be asking in this thread)-

-Is there any reason to have 2.4ghz enabled AS WELL as the 5ghz? I'm guessing it's there for legacy purposes for older devices? I turned it off but curious if it will affect anything newer.

-Speed tests come back spectacularly on my new connection but for some reason browsing in FF is killing me. Is there a way to figure out why FF is eating up 3 gigs of RAM and 15% CPU with only 5 tabs loaded? I can understand the RAM because I probably have over 100 tabs open (although they are currently "unloaded" via the "BarTab Heavy" extension), but 15% CPU usage (according to TM) when it's not even in focus and only 5 tabs are loaded is kind of absurd, no? (I have an i7-5930k 6 core/HT running at 3.5 and 16 gigs of RAM).

Thanks for all the help guys/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
2.4Ghz is just for legacy or cheap devices. Your Firefox issues are probably due to an add-on, check the Firefox thread OP for instructions on how to fix.

• Locked thread