Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://twitter.com/GoldmanSachs/status/747834825831292928
These guys, who I thought were bad, are actually progressive and good, it turns out. Post your favorite Good guy corporations, so we can vote for them with our dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Cynical Brand Experiencer posted:

Holy poo poo... it all makes sense now.. all the speeches... Hillary convinced them not be transphobic...

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Maoist Pussy was right, the transgendered really are the tools of the global paymasters

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Calling all feminists: you should spend your money on the new Ghostbusters movie.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/alannabennett/cant-bring-us-down
12 Ways You Can Support The New “Ghostbusters” Movie Against The Hate Campaign

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Fast Luck posted:

Calling all feminists: you should spend your money on the new Ghostbusters movie.

If the new Ghostbusters movie only managed to bring back ecto cooler then that's good enough for me.

I seriously loved that poo poo growing up.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Fast Luck posted:

*Sponsored Content from Columbia Pictures

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
CAPITALISM?!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
CRAPitalism!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Karl Barks posted:

*Sponsored Content from Columbia Pictures
There's not actually any sponsored content disclaimer so I'm inclined to believe the author at the very least (and probably a million readers) actually thinsk this way, that this movie's success is a referendum on feminism

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

the thing i don't get is like. what if it actually is a bad movie?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

https://twitter.com/freddiedeboer/status/659478665017860097

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

lol the replies

https://twitter.com/bingomasters/status/659490260112445444

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

neither is lack of cultural consumption but hey

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Was Freddy the guy who went to a Trump rally and they were screaming at "beaners" and was like "I just have to keep telling myself they're mad about their economic situation"

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Tatum Girlparts posted:

neither is lack of cultural consumption but hey

EXACTLY

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Al! posted:

Was Freddy the guy who went to a Trump rally and they were screaming at "beaners" and was like "I just have to keep telling myself they're mad about their economic situation"

i don't think he's been to a trump rally

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Karl Barks posted:

the thing i don't get is like. what if it actually is a bad movie?

:jewish: : Look at all the black people that go see those Tyler Perry movies and how much they make.
:jewish: : Black people are only 14% of the population, imagine if we did that with a minority group like women.
:jewish: : That's a brilliant idea, we'll make a movie that if you don't see it means you're not a feminist.
:jewish: : Does it have to be good?
:jewish: : Of course not, because if you don't see it it means you hate women.

:jewish: <- Movie executives obviously

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Just after Orlando I had a really silly moment of standing outside a Hilton that was flying a rainbow flag and sorta kinda tearing up. This stuff matters~

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

A Winner is Jew posted:

:jewish: : Look at all the black people that go see those Tyler Perry movies and how much they make.
:jewish: : Black people are only 14% of the population, imagine if we did that with a minority group like women.
:jewish: : That's a brilliant idea, we'll make a movie that if you don't see it means you're not a feminist.

obv...

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

A Winner is Jew posted:

Final step: Convince all men to become women.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
an ouroboros, devouring the poo poo from its own rear end, a shameful ouroboros

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

seriously tho imagine seeing a company flying a pride flag and your reaction being "gently caress goldman $akkk$"

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

seriously tho imagine seeing goldman sachs and your reaction being "they're actually good, i like the work of pr professionals"

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Imagine being unable to tell the difference between genuine expressions of solidarity and corporations with extremely negative perceptions & practices engaging in cynical exploitative PR.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
exactly how much weregild does it cost to buy being on the right side of history these days? can someone quote me a number of a % of gross? asking for a friend tia. my friend is DEFINITELY NOT mr goldman sachs!!!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fast Luck posted:

Imagine being unable to tell the difference between genuine expressions of solidarity and corporations with extremely negative perceptions & practices engaging in cynical exploitative PR.

imagine being so used to being the 'default' that you can give a poo poo between the two...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Karl Barks posted:

seriously tho imagine seeing goldman sachs and your reaction being "they're actually good, i like the work of pr professionals"

also who is this person, like, point to them.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Tatum Girlparts posted:

also who is this person, like, point to them.
pointing is rude

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Tatum Girlparts posted:

imagine being so used to being the 'default' that you can give a poo poo between the two...
are you sincerely saying that only cis het people could object to this sort of thing?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

No, seriously, you're sending a super lovely message here! A major corporation flying a trans pride flag would have been unthinkable a decade ago, or maybe even 5. This flag flying at Goldman is proof that trans people (and LGBT people writ more largely) are winning, and what you're doing is taking what should be a sign of our power and instead deciding to take a poo poo on it and implying that our victories are not compatible with your ideals.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Karl Barks posted:

pointing is rude

I mean is there anyone at all saying 'ah yes this flag wipes away all issues I had with them', is anyone even talking about it at all aside from basic 'huh, neat' puff pieces?

Fast Luck posted:

are you sincerely saying that only cis het people could object to this sort of thing?

not ONLY but the idea that when a group of people are being straight up murdered constantly and no one cares and denied basic human dignity all over the world, a super basic act like 'hung a flag' needs to be scrutinized with a very intense magnifying glass is pretty much a stance that someone who's identity isn't under constant attack would be comfortable making and not feel just a little embarrassed. Like, I dunno man when they start branding themselves as The Most Trans Loving Financial Company Out There or whatever then yea, that's when you look at it carefully, but when it's literally just a loving flag maybe take a couple deep breaths, go outside, and think about literally anything else.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's symbolic and people shouldn't get too caught up in it.

But it's also symbolic of the fact that social conservatives are getting crushed by the awesome power of finance capitalism and it couldn't have happened to a better group of assholes.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i think they're doing it for cynical PR reasons, and I'd imagine they wouldn't do it if it didn't work. i basically think this of any corporation that suddenly starts promoting minority causes once it's in vogue to do it, goldman is just a company that i particularly don't like

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

No, seriously, you're sending a super lovely message here! A major corporation flying a trans pride flag would have been unthinkable a decade ago, or maybe even 5. This flag flying at Goldman is proof that trans people (and LGBT people writ more largely) are winning, and what you're doing is taking what should be a sign of our power and instead deciding to take a poo poo on it and implying that our victories are not compatible with your ideals.

but as a straight white male who hates capitalism on paper, how does this help me?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Karl Barks posted:

i think they're doing it for cynical PR reasons, and I'd imagine they wouldn't do it if it didn't work. i basically think this of any corporation that suddenly starts promoting minority causes once it's in vogue to do it, goldman is just a company that i particularly don't like

well yea of course they're doing it for cynical PR reasons, the point is that for the first time ever in America it's now GOOD PR to put a flag from a specific LGBT culture in front of your building. That's a pretty fuckin big deal and means good things!

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

Pinterest Mom posted:

seriously tho imagine seeing a company flying a pride flag and your reaction being "gently caress goldman $akkk$"

:chloe:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm OK with it because I listen to enough right-wing radio to know it's stuff like this that really freaks them out.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)
corporations can never be allies. they are allied to capital, and to themselves.

if they believe trans people can serve them in some way, then of course they'll put a flag up.

also, they've given money to anti-trans politicians and causes, so gasp!!!

i hate linking tweets usually but hell i'm gonna link a tweet

https://twitter.com/blippoblappo/status/747845096352145408

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

love me some blippoblappo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Like I still remember a few Prides ago at the Houston one Chipotle was out giving out fliers with coupons on them with some dumb 'haha get it burritos like dicks and tacos like vaginas even if we don't sell tacos what' joke on it and a picture of a burrito in rainbow foil on it, and Bud was there with some dumb 'haha dudes love beer no matter what else they love right guys' thing and a rainbow label and all this other poo poo. No poo poo every one of those were the product of even the most LGBT friendly company having a meeting and going 'ok this is safe to do, right? We won't get poo poo on too much and we'll get props from the gays?' I'm sure a non-zero amount of those companies were run by people who genuinely supported LGBT rights and all, but that genuine acceptance came with a PR component that you can't ignore.

I didn't care, though, because I remembered when going to Pride was scary, because I didn't want people to 'catch' me there that I knew, I remembered when Pride was that gay thing that everyone else just either ignores, makes fun of, or actively hampers and insults. The fact that now some cute twink was selling Bud and passing out overpriced burrito ads meant that those feelings were slowly going away. They didn't magically fix homophobia, they didn't solve all our problems, but they were a sign of changing times, and that's a good thing, because hey maybe the next generation of LGBT kids wouldn't have to be afraid of going to Pride or feel like no one even knows what they are let alone accepts them.

Classic Comrade posted:

corporations can never be allies. they are allied to capital, and to themselves.

if they believe trans people can serve them in some way, then of course they'll put a flag up.

also, they've given money to anti-trans politicians and causes, so gasp!!!

i hate linking tweets usually but hell i'm gonna link a tweet

https://twitter.com/blippoblappo/status/747845096352145408

Cool, maybe that's what to call them out for rather than the flag?

Wikkheiser posted:

I'm OK with it because I listen to enough right-wing radio to know it's stuff like this that really freaks them out.

also this

• Locked thread