Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FadingVoid
Jun 29, 2016

Hello everyone, my names Adam and I've decided to try my hand at producing Let's Plays, and for my first full play through I've chosen to go with DOOM.

Doom?

Yes, DOOM, but not the classic fair, we're jumping straight into the 2016 release, developed by ID software and published by Bethesda Softworks.

Play Through Style

To give you a heads up of what to expect when watching these videos, this is intended for entertainment, showing off the game and providing voiced commentary. I'm not aiming to 100% or find all the secrets/collectables but we will finish within a reasonable timeframe and hopefully you'll all have some fun along the way.

But Why Doom?

I'm glad you asked! I've always enjoyed the original Doom games and after seeing the recent games release I was once again overcome with the urge to rip and tear my way back through hell.

Schedule

Multiple videos will be uploaded per week, ranging from 20-50 minutes each, with a playlist provided for easy viewing. The first 6 episodes have already been recorded with 4 currently available, I thought it would be best to get a head start as I'm a new let's player and I wanted my commitment to be clear from the get go.

Video List

Links will be steadily updated in the thread below:

Playlist

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13 - the Finale

FadingVoid fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I think when the sound of your keyboard is louder than the game audio, you have a problem.

FadingVoid
Jun 29, 2016

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I think when the sound of your keyboard is louder than the game audio, you have a problem.

Yes, apologies for that, I re-balanced my audio in part 3 (and swapped to a controller in part 2) which appeared to resolve the issue, but if the game audio is still too low and my commentary audio still too loud please let me know.

edit: From the feedback, I did decide to re-create part one and the OP is updated with the new link, parts 2 & 3 are now also included.

FadingVoid fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 30, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I will not be following the LP until the weekend, when I'll be able to start playing the game myself (and will be playing along with the LP), but if what the poster above mentioned is true, just locking the thread, rerecording the videos, getting them past Sandcastle (and giving the thread more than three hours for the feedback) may be the prudent thing to do.

That said, I do not know how literal Kaboom Dragoon is being here, so everything I just said may be a load of muledung.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Heyhey, I'm stopping by this thread to apologize for the probation and thread close earlier. We have a relatively new rule here on the Let's Play subforum that prohibits people from making threads for ongoing games. We're still kind of figuring out where the boundaries of that rule lie. Seeing this thread instinctively made me think it was breaking the rules, but fellow mod Fedule talked to me about it and was willing to vouch for you, because you had gone through the Sandcastle, seemed very earnest and all that.

So your probation has been reversed and your thread has been opened back up for you to continue updating. Good luck!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

JordanKai posted:

Heyhey, I'm stopping by this thread to apologize for the probation and thread close earlier. We have a relatively new rule here on the Let's Play subforum that prohibits people from making threads for ongoing games. We're still kind of figuring out where the boundaries of that rule lie. Seeing this thread instinctively made me think it was breaking the rules, but fellow mod Fedule talked to me about it and was willing to vouch for you, because you had gone through the Sandcastle, seemed very earnest and all that.

So your probation has been reversed and your thread has been opened back up for you to continue updating. Good luck!

But the probation will be forever in his rap sheet.

FadingVoid
Jun 29, 2016

JordanKai posted:

Thank you for that and cheers for the explanation, didn't intend any harm by pre-recording and hopefully thats the first and last time I see the probation hammer!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Carbon dioxide posted:

But the probation will be forever in his rap sheet.

Who cares? Probations are a badge of honour.

Mods, please probate me for this post.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FadingVoid
Jun 29, 2016
Part 6 is now available

Doomguy reaches the towers highest peak, but what demonic fun awaits him? Let's find out!

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
I suppose until Temin Dump and company gets to this game, we'll probably not see a lot of those challenges and hidden away secrets like elite guards.

I also find it hilarious just how absolutely belligerent the Doom marine is with regards to anyone that isn't going out of their way to, well, not somehow antagonize the guy. Even Haydes is barely an ally. Straight up rip and tear that facility.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Dinictus posted:

I suppose until Temin Dump and company gets to this game, we'll probably not see a lot of those challenges and hidden away secrets like elite guards.

I also find it hilarious just how absolutely belligerent the Doom marine is with regards to anyone that isn't going out of their way to, well, not somehow antagonize the guy. Even Haydes is barely an ally. Straight up rip and tear that facility.

The game actually gives good reasons for why the Doomguy behave the way he does. VERY good reasons. In fact, I'd argue that Doom's story had A LOT of effort put into it: it's cohesive, not in the way, and is just half-assed enough to hold everything together perfectly. No details, though, not yet.

I fear that Temin_Dump is at least a year away from it. I plan to LP Doom once I'm done with my other stuff, and to do that in a manner different from that of the OP: 100%, informative post-commentary, all the loading screens and lore in the screenshots in the thread etc. So there will be an LP with all these things, and we don't have to wait for Temin_Dump (and when he does finally get to it, it'll be better than anything anyone has or will have done anyway :v:)

FadingVoid, just in case: this does not mean that your LP is bad. Absolutely not. There are just different ways to make an LP. So keep doing what you're doing! (I only clarify this because you're new to the subforum).

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, not to say this is a bad LP. You're blasting through the levels and content as you go, and it gives us all a great impression on the hectic gameplay. Seeing all this in motion, even with the lulls as you get your bearings? Plenty enjoyable.

I'm still emphatically screaming at you for missing the obvious markers and directions at times, though. But you did say you weren't big on platforming. This game, for being what amounts to be the next big Doom, kinda does a lot of it.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Doom platforming is as good and enjoyable as FPS platforming will probably ever get :colbert:

I only wish the game didn't have occasional invisible walls in what looks like jumpable locations.

FadingVoid
Jun 29, 2016
Trust me when I'm watching my own videos back I'm screaming at myself for missing secrets and hidden paths! But yeah for me that's part of the fun and I'm glad you're both enjoying it so far. I love watching different takes on lets plays so when a 100% completion version comes out in the future I'll have to check it out.

Have to say I'm finding the hectic combat and gunplay very satisfying, from a design and technical level it's hitting all the right notes for me and it's a joy to keep coming back to. Thanks for watching and I'll be recording/uploading more next week.

FadingVoid
Jun 29, 2016
Part 7 is now available

Doomguy returns well rested from his summer home only to find out Mars isn't look so hot, it's time for this marine to get back to work.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

FadingVoid posted:

Trust me when I'm watching my own videos back I'm screaming at myself for missing secrets and hidden paths!

It makes for an interesting challenge run, seeing how well you can do by going directly from one objective to the next as efficiently as possible with zero fucks given about finding upgrades off the beaten path. I wonder how hard it would be on Ultra Violence.

Of course, this playstyle makes it so that the next level will not be anywhere near as frustrating for you as it was for my completionist rear end. :v:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Ultra Violence isn't that difficult, really (e: as long as you use the keyboard and mouse, that is). The game has enough crap that is actually in your way for you to get the upgrades that are actually important

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 5, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Ultra-Violence isn't that hard with a controller either, to be honest. It might get tougher in the last couple of levels (I'm maybe 75% through the campaign at the moment), but the majority of the game has been just fine aside from a couple of difficulty spike bits which may or may not be easier on M+KB.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It's not super tough for me either, but I figured that's because I've been obsessive about finding every little thing. Partially because it seems to get easier the farther along I go, which I could only guess is because I have way more options than might be strictly necessary for a "normal" difficulty curve (iow, it doesn't seem like UV is designed to provide a challenge to someone who's gotten all the things).

FadingVoid
Jun 29, 2016
Part 8 is now available

Doomguy continues his travels across Mars, finally making his way to the Lazarus facility. What awaits him this time? An old friend perhaps...

FadingVoid
Jun 29, 2016
Part 9 is now available

The forces of hell ramp up their assault on our intrepid hero, but at this point what else could they possibly throw at him?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Ahahah, that Pinky physics glitch death.

FadingVoid
Jun 29, 2016

GunnerJ posted:

Ahahah, that Pinky physics glitch death.

The box is truely mans greatest weapon against the demons!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

poo poo was glitching out like crazy this time for some reason.

Also I gotta say, at first your YOLO/Leeroy Jenkins approach to levels was frustrating because I am infected with terminal completionism, but it's refreshing now watching you just shrug and trapeze from one thing to the next. All the points of no return you just don't have to give a poo poo about. Possibly the best way to be.

FadingVoid
Jun 29, 2016
Thanks I'm glad you're enjoying the playstyle/series! It's how I play a lot of games really, a speedy rush to the finish! Apart from RPG's which I obessess about every detail and quest and sink a few hundred hours in.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
You definitely should make things a bit easier for yourself, though. When you're worrying about ammo, the answer is chainsaw :v:

EDIT: What a way to end that episode, though. Jeez.

Dinictus fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 9, 2016

FadingVoid
Jun 29, 2016

Dinictus posted:

You definitely should make things a bit easier for yourself, though. When you're worrying about ammo, the answer is chainsaw :v:

EDIT: What a way to end that episode, though. Jeez.

That is an excellent point! Think I have a serve case of too good to use syndrome with the chainsaw, I like keeping it as a back up just in case when I should really just be more aggressive with it.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I just use the chainsaw when I run out of ammo or as an "oh poo poo" button if I don't have enough time to kill something fat in my way.

I also tried to play on Nightmare (with no success), and it seems like some encounters are tailored in a way that you have to use it.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
The way to think about the Chainsaw, I think, is that if you don't have room to pick up a gas can for it after a battle arena, that [hypothetical] gas can will be wasted; as such, keeping yourself at [max-1] fuel for it is a nice happy place to be - you can always pick up a fuel can if you find it, and will have an influx of ammo.

FadingVoid
Jun 29, 2016
That's a good way to view the chainsaw I think, when I'm recording the next episode I'll try keep it in mind and maybe I won't have as many ammo concerns.

If nightmare mode is pretty difficult I may have to give it a shot after I'm done with the series and see what it's like. I do enjoy harder difficulties, but for an FPS playing on that while recording and commentating might be a bit beyond me when also playing blind.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Nah, Nightmare is just plain unplayable. I'll rant in detail later, but for now...

...I don't have the vocabulary to describe just how huge of a difficulty spike it is between Ultra-Violence and Nigthmare. Ultra-Violence feels like normal difficulty to me, but on Nightmare everything kills you in 1 to 3 hits from full. Unless you're an FPS god, playing it would be just an unenjoyable grind, considering that the designs of the battle arenas are not tailored for the player to be able to avoid any kind of damage, which you have to do on Nightmare if you want to survive.

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 9, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
That's not even getting into the version of nightmare where it deletes your save if you die.

FadingVoid
Jun 29, 2016
Part 10 is now available

After having one of it's greatest weapons defeated, hell decides to play dirty

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

You'd opened the way to a secret for a weapon mod drone near the beginning (second skull switch), and this is where I started to remember the game going astray the way it had in Advanced Research Complex. I was thinking, if he goes into the next area, he's never going to get it now. Because the doors start locking behind you for set-piece battles and then they don't unlock again. The area with the drone it unlocked was in the hallway before the first fight near a teleporter and that's the first of those loving doors. But giving a poo poo about missing something is not how you roll, so you didn't have to care. :v:

By the way, at 9:40, does anyone know what the heck is that triangular can thing by the chainsaw fuel? You start seeing them all over and I have no idea what they are for. Sometimes they whir like BFG ammo but as far as I can tell you can't pick them up for anything.

ETA: At around 11:40, to answer your question, yeah if you point the chainsaw at the ground while using it on a demon, it doesn't do a glory kill animation. Apparently this is a speedrunning trick!

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 11, 2016

FadingVoid
Jun 29, 2016

GunnerJ posted:

You'd opened the way to a secret for a weapon mod drone near the beginning (second skull switch), and this is where I started to remember the game going astray the way it had in Advanced Research Complex. I was thinking, if he goes into the next area, he's never going to get it now. Because the doors start locking behind you for set-piece battles and then they don't unlock again. The area with the drone it unlocked was in the hallway before the first fight near a teleporter and that's the first of those loving doors. But giving a poo poo about missing something is not how you roll, so you didn't have to care. :v:

By the way, at 9:40, does anyone know what the heck is that triangular can thing by the chainsaw fuel? You start seeing them all over and I have no idea what they are for. Sometimes they whir like BFG ammo but as far as I can tell you can't pick them up for anything.

ETA: At around 11:40, to answer your question, yeah if you point the chainsaw at the ground while using it on a demon, it doesn't do a glory kill animation. Apparently this is a speedrunning trick!

See you know my style so well already! :v:

I believe the little triangle is ammo for the siphon grenade.

Thanks for the clarification, can see that being rather handy for speed running idd!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

FadingVoid posted:

I believe the little triangle is ammo for the siphon grenade.

Ah, that makes sense. The first one of those (in Lazarus) I never saw because it was too dark.

FadingVoid
Jun 29, 2016
Part 11 is now available

Seems we are nearing the end of this ride through hell as doomguy enters the necropolis and attempts to steal the crucible, could anything possibly stand in his way?

FadingVoid
Jun 29, 2016
Part 12 is now available

Doomguy needs to return to hell to close the portal at it's source, but doing so will require a huge power source, luckily Dr Hayden happens to have one in his basement.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

This level had the best fake out in terms of what it did with VEGA. It's a mysterious super-AI fueled by Hell energy, no one knows how it works, its name is an undefined acronym (all data pad stuff), and in the level called I AM VEGA, it passive-aggressively holds your hand through the process of destroying it, and there's this big dramatic climb to its scary core... and it doesn't turn evil. It probably resented its end but it wasn't going to oppose you, you're the only one who can fix this poo poo. And you even made a backup of your AI buddy. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FadingVoid
Jun 29, 2016
Indeed, was completely betting on it and I'm refreshed that it didn't go down that route.

• Locked thread