Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.
Going to play my first game tomorrow morning with my bud. Zero points besides what the warcasters give.

Want to use Caine2, so I know I need something to crack high ARM targets like Khador. (My friend has Retribution and Skorne starters though)

Do I go with Ol'Rowdy+Charger or Hunter+Defender?

Red Hood fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

gannyGrabber posted:

If it's your first games, i would honestly suggest you treat your models as if they are the battlebox models. They are meant to be played against eachother at 0 points and will give you the fairest game possible for learning.

Hey, thanks for the reply, this is exactly what we did to get a feel for the game in general. It went really well! I played my buddy twice against his Retribution box, and then again against his Skorne box. It's crazy how different Fury and Focus are. I also played against another friend of mine who happened to be there, and got crushed really hard by the Magnus list (Magnus, Mangler and Rover) a couple of times.

Yesterday we played again and met the guy who's running the Journeyman League at our LGS; he's apparently changing some of the rules for the League - players can use any Warcaster, but there has to be one "ranged" warjack/warbeast and one "melee" warjack/warbeast during Week 1. He's also decided to have week 2 be 15 points instead of 10 - he said that Khador players would really get the shaft if it was 10 points because they'd have to buy a garbage 'jack to fit something into 10 points.

So yesterday while playing a few games I used a bunch of different 'jacks that weren't in the battlebox: Hunter, Defender, Charger and Centurion. Centurion was definitely my favorite. I paired the Centurion with a Charger and being able to pepper away at the enemy with the Charger while the Centurion uses his ability to not be charged made me feel like I was really in control of the engagement. Twice my opponent felt forced to run his heavy warbeast into melee, letting me get first strike.

As far as warcasters, besides Maddox, I tried Striker1 and Caine1, and Caine2. Caine2 was definitely my favorite, and he really put in work on light warbeasts. Twice I was also able to surprise Gatecrash into the enemy Warcaster's rear arc and put them down.

I don't really know what to do for the league now that the organizer has pretty much opened the flood gates as to options. A friend of mine who has been playing Protectorate and Mercs forever suggested the Centurion/Charger combo for Caine2, and then going with a Defender when we get extra points in Week 2. I'm already dreading having to buy more models when I own so much, but I feel the itch.

I'm a little overwhelmed with the options, but overall, I'm really liking the game. Feels good not to have any baggage from the previous edition - I don't know what was nerfed so I can't be annoyed.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

gannyGrabber posted:

I saw somebody playing that Magnus battlebox earlier today. It's incredibly strong! Magnus is a really good caster at that point level: with his ability to repair 'jacks, powerful abilities on his weapons, free upkeeps, and his Feat he's going to win a lot of games at that level. I didn't end up finding the time to play against him but I'm fairly confident the trick to winning that fight would be to keep distance and focus on a ranged game: the Mangler can only engage up to 10" away from itself and the Rover and Magnus both have fairly weak guns. The +3 Def from Blur isn't going to make a huge distance on his def 10 Rover, I don't think! For your Cygnar bbox, I would try and keep your range 10 dudes just on the side of the Rover and outside the Mangler's range and keep plugging away with shots, see if he gets impatient and moves his guys up into range where your Ironclad can get the first hit in. Assail just about assures that your Ironclad is going to get hits in before Magnus' 'jacks can. pepper him down with your guns, send the ironclad in, and make sure you us that tremor attack.

You can also go the extra mile and abuse Snipe! Cast Snipe on a model on your first turn and upkeep it turn 2, and then on turn 2 after that model shoots, recast snipe on another model. That way in the same turn they both get the +4 range. Next turn just flip it around.

If I remember correctly, he was upkeeping Snipe on the Rover, Death Ward on the Mangler and Blur on Magnus. It was super tough to crack.

I played against him with Caine2, Centurion and Charger yesterday, and I did better: killed the Rover and got Magnus to half. Mangler had some damage on it too. With the Rover out-ranging my Charger, I was forced to move it in while the Centurion plodded up. He broke my back by making my Centurion stationary and flanking around forcing Caine2 to take some shots that weren't in his favor. It was tense, since Caine is so slippery, but I lost anyway.

If I have the chance I'll have to try the battlebox list against this again, maybe it'll have more luck with the spells Maddox has access to.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

So I've been playing in our Journeyman League (a couple of changed rules: Any Warcaster at start, must have one melee only jack/beast and one ranged capable jack/beast at start, 15 points at week 2) and I've been going really well with my Caine2 list. Week 3 just finished and I was running this:

Week 3, 25 points posted:

System: Warmachine
Faction: Cygnar
Caster: 1 / 1
Caine2 (Captain Allister Caine) (-27 Pts.)
* Centurion (17 Pts.)
* Hunter (11 Pts.)
* Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator (4 Pts.)
Journeyman Warcaster (4 Pts.)
* Charger (9 Pts.)
Gun Mage Captain Adept (5 Pts.)

This week is the biggest jump, from 25 points to 50 points, and I really don't want to screw up in adding on to my list. I was thinking about going with this:

Week 4, 50 points posted:

* Centurion (17 Pts.)
* Hunter (11 Pts.)
* Charger (9 Pts.)
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios (7 Pts.)
Trencher Infantry (Leader and 5) (10 Pts.)
* Trencher Infantry Officer & Sniper (5 Pts.)

A buddy of mine said, that with the 27 points I have to build with, I should go with Black 13th, Eiryss1 and Min Trenchers (no UA) instead. I'm not sure giving up a second Shadowfire shot and Cautious Advance is worth the extra offense from B13. What do you guys think?

I've never played in a game with this many points before, so I'm feeling a little lost. Thanks dudes.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

Luebbi posted:

I prefer your list. Not sure if you really need two GMCAs with Caine, but the B13th don't add anything he doesn't do himself, and right now they seem largely overcosted. The trencher attachment is amazing, I almost never play Trenchers without it. Being able to move, shoot and then dig back in gives you an edge agsinst almost all light infantry currently being played - Idrians, for example, can only dig in once per game and without shooting.

I think I only really want the second GMCA because I'm really bad at this game and I want the insurance of the second Shadowfire. Also Truesight is cool. I'm with you on the Trencher UA, I feel like it's almost necessary. Thanks for the vote for my version.

After this week at 50, I have almost zero idea what to do for the 65 and 75 point weeks. Since I'm new (only about 15 games played total) I don't know if I need more infantry (Rangers for +2 RAT?) or another 'jack (Ace?) or if more solos is the way to go. Trenchers to max? I just have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

I went with my gut last week and played the following in the modified JML my store is hosting; it did great.

I was actually able to pull off the double Shadowfire to clear LOS through two heavies, then have Eiryss1 strip Kozlov of 4 Focus he camped, then have Caine2 pump him full of lead. I had to buy my buddy a beer afterwards to make up for that.

50 points posted:

* Centurion (17 Pts.)
* Hunter (11 Pts.)
* Charger (9 Pts.)
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios (7 Pts.)
Trencher Infantry (Leader and 5) (10 Pts.)
* Trencher Infantry Officer & Sniper (5 Pts.)

Tomorrow is Day 1 of Week 5, up to 65 points. I'm definitely going to Max the Trenchers, since they are so dope, so that leaves me 9 points to fill in. Do I go with Rangers for +2 to hit? or Sentinel to Shield Guard Caine and my important solos?