Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Picard: "Oh Holden..."
Snape: "You cheating harpy!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Khisanth Magus posted:

Well what else were they going to use those models for, Warmahordes is a dead game, haven't you heard?

I hadn't, is that the cry of Guild Ball players?

edit also what do i need to buy to get started, besides a starter box? i know the rules/plot cards/etc are free on the website

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 16, 2016

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I can't afford to update all the armies I have, so I put my Retribution on ebay. I am selling a huge Scyrah army with KR cases and foam if you guys know anyone looking to start Retribution.

I am going to focus on finishing my Convergence, and stick with Convergence and Trolls!

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Pounded In The Butt By My Narrative Campaign-Developed Miniature Wargaming Model

Which warman would you put up your butt?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Siege. One wants one's fortifications breached expertly.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
"It's alright Holden" said Twilight Sparkle as she hitched up her leather strap on.

"Tonight the other girls and I will make you a real princess"

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Literally The Worst posted:

I hadn't, is that the cry of Guild Ball players?

edit also what do i need to buy to get started, besides a starter box? i know the rules/plot cards/etc are free on the website

Your final team has to be 1 captain, 4 dudes, and 1 mascot. The starter contains a captain and 2 dudes, the other 3 models will cost you approx 50bux total. Cards and rules and poo poo are free on the website, your warmachine poo poo should cover all the tokens except there is 1 scatter template that is a half circle that is unique.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

gannyGrabber posted:

Your final team has to be 1 captain, 4 dudes, and 1 mascot. The starter contains a captain and 2 dudes, the other 3 models will cost you approx 50bux total. Cards and rules and poo poo are free on the website, your warmachine poo poo should cover all the tokens except there is 1 scatter template that is a half circle that is unique.

yeah i mean im probably going to go all in on a faction just ebcause i get a discount and there's not a ton of stuff. is the scatter template necessary or could i fudge it with half of a warma aoe template

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.
So I've been playing in our Journeyman League (a couple of changed rules: Any Warcaster at start, must have one melee only jack/beast and one ranged capable jack/beast at start, 15 points at week 2) and I've been going really well with my Caine2 list. Week 3 just finished and I was running this:

Week 3, 25 points posted:

System: Warmachine
Faction: Cygnar
Caster: 1 / 1
Caine2 (Captain Allister Caine) (-27 Pts.)
* Centurion (17 Pts.)
* Hunter (11 Pts.)
* Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator (4 Pts.)
Journeyman Warcaster (4 Pts.)
* Charger (9 Pts.)
Gun Mage Captain Adept (5 Pts.)

This week is the biggest jump, from 25 points to 50 points, and I really don't want to screw up in adding on to my list. I was thinking about going with this:

Week 4, 50 points posted:

System: Warmachine
Faction: Cygnar
Caster: 1 / 1
Caine2 (Captain Allister Caine) (-27 Pts.)
* Centurion (17 Pts.)
* Hunter (11 Pts.)
* Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator (4 Pts.)
Journeyman Warcaster (4 Pts.)
* Charger (9 Pts.)
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios (7 Pts.)
Trencher Infantry (Leader and 5) (10 Pts.)
* Trencher Infantry Officer & Sniper (5 Pts.)

A buddy of mine said, that with the 27 points I have to build with, I should go with Black 13th, Eiryss1 and Min Trenchers (no UA) instead. I'm not sure giving up a second Shadowfire shot and Cautious Advance is worth the extra offense from B13. What do you guys think?

I've never played in a game with this many points before, so I'm feeling a little lost. Thanks dudes.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Red Hood posted:

So I've been playing in our Journeyman League (a couple of changed rules: Any Warcaster at start, must have one melee only jack/beast and one ranged capable jack/beast at start, 15 points at week 2) and I've been going really well with my Caine2 list. Week 3 just finished and I was running this:

This week is the biggest jump, from 25 points to 50 points, and I really don't want to screw up in adding on to my list. I was thinking about going with this:

A buddy of mine said, that with the 27 points I have to build with, I should go with Black 13th, Eiryss1 and Min Trenchers (no UA) instead. I'm not sure giving up a second Shadowfire shot and Cautious Advance is worth the extra offense from B13. What do you guys think?

I've never played in a game with this many points before, so I'm feeling a little lost. Thanks dudes.

I prefer your list. Not sure if you really need two GMCAs with Caine, but the B13th don't add anything he doesn't do himself, and right now they seem largely overcosted. The trencher attachment is amazing, I almost never play Trenchers without it. Being able to move, shoot and then dig back in gives you an edge agsinst almost all light infantry currently being played - Idrians, for example, can only dig in once per game and without shooting.

Luebbi fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 16, 2016

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.

Luebbi posted:

I prefer your list. Not sure if you really need two GMCAs with Caine, but the B13th don't add anything he doesn't do himself, and right now they seem largely overcosted. The trencher attachment is amazing, I almost never play Trenchers without it. Being able to move, shoot and then dig back in gives you an edge agsinst almost all light infantry currently being played - Idrians, for example, can only dig in once per game and without shooting.

I think I only really want the second GMCA because I'm really bad at this game and I want the insurance of the second Shadowfire. Also Truesight is cool. I'm with you on the Trencher UA, I feel like it's almost necessary. Thanks for the vote for my version.

After this week at 50, I have almost zero idea what to do for the 65 and 75 point weeks. Since I'm new (only about 15 games played total) I don't know if I need more infantry (Rangers for +2 RAT?) or another 'jack (Ace?) or if more solos is the way to go. Trenchers to max? I just have no idea.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Red Hood posted:

I think I only really want the second GMCA because I'm really bad at this game and I want the insurance of the second Shadowfire. Also Truesight is cool. I'm with you on the Trencher UA, I feel like it's almost necessary. Thanks for the vote for my version.

Is be tempted to drop a GMCA and Eiryss for Ace in your list. You keep the second Shadow Fire and get the other Rune Shots and the ability to stealth Caine for a turn, which is super useful as you really want to play him aggressively.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Hungerford posted the cards for Holden in a thread on the main forums, but their dumb software won't let me view the dang things. Anyone have a screencap or something?

http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?259549-Crossroads-of-Courage-Season-One-rules-now-available&p=3649331&viewfull=1#post3649331

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Trashcan posted:

Hungerford posted the cards for Holden in a thread on the main forums, but their dumb software won't let me view the dang things. Anyone have a screencap or something?

http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?259549-Crossroads-of-Courage-Season-One-rules-now-available&p=3649331&viewfull=1#post3649331

Here you go. Also has the benefit of not being in 4 separate PDFs

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

You basically get to pick Sac Pawn and Backstab for coward, or Sniper and an extra life if disabled for courage

E;fb

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Which warman would you put up your butt?

Cyriss TEP could be modded to hide a bullet vibe.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Coward looks fun if you put him with a unit that has Ambush.

also please base your TEP before putting it up your butt, things without flared bases should not go in butts

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Red Hood posted:

I don't think the B13 are worth taking pretty much at all as they stand right now. They're expensive and pretty uninteresting though I have seen people make a case for them with Haley1, I'm not sure they really mean it. For 75 points, I'd probably give Caine another 'jack like a Defender, but season to taste really, and then I'd max the Trenchers too, and toss a WA if you've got a few points left over.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Literally The Worst posted:

yeah i mean im probably going to go all in on a faction just ebcause i get a discount and there's not a ton of stuff. is the scatter template necessary or could i fudge it with half of a warma aoe template

It's the middle one.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

gannyGrabber posted:

It's the middle one.

Bleh. Whatever, discount. I'll tack it onto my order.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I always wondered what Exemplar Bastions look like under the armor. I got Amon ad Raza yesterday, and now I know. They got some righteous and holy steroids in the Protectorate.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Geisladisk posted:

I always wondered what Exemplar Bastions look like under the armor. I got Amon ad Raza yesterday, and now I know. They got some righteous and holy steroids in the Protectorate.

Desert living toughens you up!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Alpha Phoenix posted:

You basically get to pick Sac Pawn and Backstab for coward, or Sniper and an extra life if disabled for courage

Attach him to Alexia or Shamblers and watch Coward never die.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
On a sort of related note, what's everyone's thoughts on mini cases? I used to use pistol cases from the early 00s, but warmachine has figures that are too big for those, never mind all the crazy shaped stuff like some of the beasts. I can get GamesPlus foam in locally, and it seems pretty well priced ($10 for a tray of any height 1-4") and you get to size stuff to fit the actual models your putting in there. The density is low because of this, but it's partially being used as a shelf organizer for warmachine, and I already have good transport options for my higher value games like KoW.

My question comes down to bags to store the foam in. Am I dumb in assuming that most of these tray systems are based on being the same size, so I can get a travel bag from say K&R that fits my GamesPlus trays? I can get the GamesPlus bag cheap, but if I ever make bad life decisions and start doing national events I don't trust a 13 X 18 X 7.5 bag to fit as a carry on (in reality not by posted rules) never mind all the smaller flights where you get screwed out of carry on at all. I don't actually need the full bag to carry everything for my Ret or Skorne, so a smaller bag with hard sides might be better if I can find one. I'm also trying to avoid Battlefoam if only because the owner is a douchebag who actively fights with the gaming community.

Also, what do you guys use to move larger models around? 4" foam doesn't work for huge based stuff at all, and a few flying beasts or ones with huge back banners are just over the 4" height. Do you just get a special pistol case for them, since those now have pluck foam trays and can easily accommodate 1-2 colossals/battle engines? Or is there some other answer I'm missing?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

IMO dont use pistol or cases that look like they hold expensive electronics because people will then want to steal your warbarbies.

Worse, you wont even be able to get them back from a pawn shop because the criminal will just throw your stuff away because they dont realize the army is still worth some money.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

waah posted:

IMO dont use pistol or cases that look like they hold expensive electronics because people will then want to steal your warbarbies.

Worse, you wont even be able to get them back from a pawn shop because the criminal will just throw your stuff away because they dont realize the army is still worth some money.

Already happened to me once, which is why I don't leave cases of warbabies in my car anymore. The good news was the PWT who stole them figured out they weren't a gun and tossed them in the neighbor's yard. A few broken figures but everything was mostly intact.

If not pistol cases, what is your method for carrying huge stuff? I'm not sure there's ever anything on the market over 4" tall to use.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hey fellow nerdlingers, come to our sweet gaming con in Michigan. We're doing a Who's the Boss on Friday night, WTC style team event on Saturday, and WMW Qualifier on Sunday. There's a ton of other gaming going on too but you should just do the Saturday and Sunday events because I am running them and they are obviously superior. :goonsay:

Website with event info (some needs updated, should be fixed today).

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

rkajdi posted:

Already happened to me once, which is why I don't leave cases of warbabies in my car anymore. The good news was the PWT who stole them figured out they weren't a gun and tossed them in the neighbor's yard. A few broken figures but everything was mostly intact.

If not pistol cases, what is your method for carrying huge stuff? I'm not sure there's ever anything on the market over 4" tall to use.

A newegg cardboard box with a magnatized base is currently in the process of being setup. The one I plan on using is roughly 10x8x5 but thats just me eyeballing it. I been working on a walkthrough of pics of my modular magnetized setup.

For reference that is a roughly 19 x 12 x 4 cardboard box that my job throws out regularly. Sadly its still slightly too shallow for my huge based X2 and Siege Animantarax.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
I glue magnets to the bases and carry my army in a metal tool box. You can stick plastic infantry upside down on the underside of the lid and if you have magnetised multi Jack or Beast kits, the spare arms stick to the sides.

I bought a tool bag which the tool box fits into so I can carry all the dice and tokens and associated wargaming junk I need to play games.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Friendly Fire posted:

I glue magnets to the bases and carry my army in a metal tool box. You can stick plastic infantry upside down on the underside of the lid and if you have magnetised multi Jack or Beast kits, the spare arms stick to the sides.

I bought a tool bag which the tool box fits into so I can carry all the dice and tokens and associated wargaming junk I need to play games.

I've always appreciated this sorry of a set up but I would be so worried about speed bumps etc knocking them around.

If anyone's ever looking into foam, grab some KR. Just fight your way through their shiity website first.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

w00tmonger posted:

I've always appreciated this sorry of a set up but I would be so worried about speed bumps etc knocking them around.

If anyone's ever looking into foam, grab some KR. Just fight your way through their shiity website first.

I use regular pluck foam from Game Plus in a comic book short box for my Warma. For Guildball I'm probably going to buy a half case and a piece of pluck or two from KR

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 17, 2016

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

I haven't had an issue yet but I do tend to throw a couple of extra magnets on to make sure

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
I won my first game of mk3! I should have lost terribly on the bottom of 2 but his dice went cold at the end of his assassination run.

Gr4vyB04t fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 17, 2016

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

w00tmonger posted:

The trick is to pack them in where they don't have room to knock around: the bases are going to be fixed down to the baseplate, so the real worry is having models slide and impact with eachother. The simplest solution is to fill your box so that the bases don't have any room to move. I've been lugging my tacklebox full of men around for a few weeks and the only thing i've had break off is alexia 2's sword arm, and that was when I was taking her out of the box.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

gannyGrabber posted:

The trick is to pack them in where they don't have room to knock around: the bases are going to be fixed down to the baseplate, so the real worry is having models slide and impact with eachother. The simplest solution is to fill your box so that the bases don't have any room to move. I've been lugging my tacklebox full of men around for a few weeks and the only thing i've had break off is alexia 2's sword arm, and that was when I was taking her out of the box.

A friend of mine bought one of those toolboxes that folds open to have multiple shelves. On the bottom of each shelf he fitted a sheet of wood which he had cut out base sizes so nothing could slide around. It worked pretty well.

Edit: the other benefit of magnetised bases is, I just use a metal baking tray to move my army around at tournaments. Even if I get a bit careless and tilt the tray, nothing slides off or falls over. The tray fits under the toolbox in my bag.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 17, 2016

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

AnElegantPeacock posted:

I won my first game of mk3! I should have lost terribly on the bottom of 2 but his dice went cold at the end of his assassination run.

Good, Elves are the enemy of all good people.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
My gencon order came in. I got my witch-doc-croc lady! Is the gatorman witch doctor not as good as it used to be? I remember mk2 it was in a lot of circle lists but friendly faction limits it pretty much to posse and croak raiders.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

There's also no command checks so turning undead is less critical than before, and tough itself is nerfed. Pretty few lists look at a croc, but at least you got an awesome model!

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Alpha Phoenix posted:

There's also no command checks so turning undead is less critical than before, and tough itself is nerfed. Pretty few lists look at a croc, but at least you got an awesome model!

She is super cute and I'm fine keeping her on my shelf. Tough on a stick seems pretty good, even with it's diminished effect. Plus I don't own croaks or really enough circle models to put on a table.

Just started back classes and am not in class from 2 to 9 on Thursdays which is my local game night, I hope I can get some Saturday games in.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

lokipunk posted:

My gencon order came in. I got my witch-doc-croc lady! Is the gatorman witch doctor not as good as it used to be? I remember mk2 it was in a lot of circle lists but friendly faction limits it pretty much to posse and croak raiders.

Yeah, the faction language add was bad. I used the doc a lot with my circle in mk2, but never now. Circle got some innate tough though, so I guess they just didn't want tough bloodtrackers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Super close game last night but I got edged out on scenario thanks to Hellmouths. Nemo 3 is still my boy and I screwed myself out of a Blightbringer kill by forgetting to run up a Firefly before feating. Stormstrider is such money and worth the price of admission alone for his 10 inch +2 to hit bubble. Hope the rest of you goons did better.