Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Strakhov can move a 'Jack 23" on his feat turn.

4" base speed
+2" from Superiority
+4" from feat
= 10" full advance

'Jack advances 10" from Overrun. 'Jack then charges 13".

25" threat on a jack with reach, half of which is non-linear.

hmm yes this is fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

GoodBee posted:

Cross-posting my Fatman from the Oath thread:

Are these torture-free, free-range, happy titan babies carrying their pal around because they just love him so darn much? :3:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I'm assembling my Menoth mk3 battlebox.

Every other warcaster which is on a medium base is either some kind of monstrosity or wearing massive powered armor. Not Malekus. He's on a medium base because he's a big fat bastard. :btroll:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

If that Flameguard is a average sized person, this dude is like 3 meters tall. What the hell were they feeding him at that orphanage?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

mp5 posted:

According to the grognards on Facebook, Durst is meant to be a normal-sized human in power armor, and I now know this because I got a fair amount "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhactually" about swapping my Durst's head out for a 40k Sanguinary Guard bare head.

Basically i'm saying gently caress those guys

His tiny head poking out of his huge armor should make it pretty obvious.

But I do think that you can dress up your wardolly however you want and I'm sure it looks really cool. Got a picture?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Played a 35 point Brawl yesterday, Menoth (High Reclaimer) against Convergence (Syntherion). Brawl is really neat. We had a lot of action at the end of turn 1. The smaller table space is also nice. We played at a friend's place where we never considered playing before, due to lack of table space.

He eventually won - I had High Reclaimer sitting on my zone. I had three points, it was my turn, my zone was clear of enemies. I had a squad of Bastions jamming the only thing that could reach the zone, a Inverter heavy Vector. I figure I'll score my fourth point at the end of my turn, and the fifth at the end of his, because he can't reach the zone - I figure the game is pretty much over at this point.

The Bastions swing at, and kill the Inverter. I forgot that he had cast Reconstruct on the Inverter last turn. The Inverter revives itself, and materializes within 3" of it's current location - At the other end of my Bastion wall, and right next to the High Reclaimer. Whoops. My turn then ends and HR gets smeared by a Macropummeler.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I'll say it.

Crusaders hit harder than Impy with just a choir buff. Pow 22 if you add ignite.

And it's 10 points. :colbert:

I'm having so much fun in menoth... it's everything I wanted from skorne!

I've definitely been having a lot of fun with Menoth.

My go-to tactic right now is to have a squad of Flameguard run in and absorb charges and tie people up, meanwhile I run my squad of three crusaders up behind them for the counterattack.

Crusaders are unbelievable in Mk3. Their only problem is that they're spd 4 with no reach, so delivering them is a problem. But once they get in there, oooh boy.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Can a Menoth veteran explain to me what good the Sanctifier is? Do you just use them against Cryx? What gives?

It's a heavy 'jack that provides it's own focus. That's about it. It was probably more useful back in Mk2, when focus was at more of a premium.

It's still pretty decent if you want to run a lot of 'jacks, and there's no competition for your dudes' souls (you're not running Reclaimers). It's definitely a niche 'jack, however.

e: And yes, it's also decent against Cryx, since it counters Incorporeal and can deny them your dudes' souls.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I wonder what they'll be doing thematically for Tristan as he graduates to full Warcaster. Right now he's an incredibly milquetoast Warcaster Man. His backstory is, "This is Warcaster Man. He is very promising and unusually good at Warcastering". That's perfectly fine for a Journeyman, but doesn't really work for a full caster.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

waah posted:

That's 13 uncommonly owned models or units that became good, 10 models or units that really are nowhere near effective or as useful as in Mk2, and 7 units that got better that most players owned. If you are willing or able to afford buying into the new Skorne, or hedged bets on buying clearance items in hopes they would one day be good, good times are had. I completely understand the salt and if I wasn't a clearance warrior, I would think that it would be easier to just jump factions instead of essentially buying the other half of my current faction.

I think this is the cause of why Skorne has been more salty than the other factions. Their bad poo poo became good and their good poo poo became slightly less good, so most people had most their collections nerfed with few buffs.

Mak3da is amazing right now. She was a decent caster in Mk2, and she's identical in Mk3, except she dropped a dud spell (Sunhammer) and got one which synergizes fantastically with the rest of her spell list (the overtake/grievous wounds one).

It's wonderful to play people who don't have much experience with her. They think their caster is safe behind a wall of dudes, until Makeda or Molik Kharn cut a bloody swathe through their guys and squish their caster. It's a ton of fun to play a caster that wants to be up close and personal, getting her hands dirty. :getin:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Am I the only person who just straight up tells awful nerds that I'm not interested in playing with them unless a tournament dictates it, because playing with them sucks, because they're lovely sports? :confused:

You guys should try having nerds impotently hate you sometimes, it's the best.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

My meta was tiny and inactive before Mk3, and it's tiny and inactive after Mk3. :shrug:

90% of my games are against my same three friends which got into the game with me. In the past year since I started playing, there have been two tournaments, with five and eight players, respectively.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

S.J. posted:

That's not so bad honestly. If you guys get the chance to travel for tournaments you should, it's a lot of fun!

Yeah, there's one in Norway in November that I'm seriously considering going to.

Now to justify international travel to play with wardollies (with a baby on the way) to my fiancée. :downs:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I always wondered what Exemplar Bastions look like under the armor. I got Amon ad Raza yesterday, and now I know. They got some righteous and holy steroids in the Protectorate.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Knocked together two lists for tonight:

quote:

Protectorate of Menoth - amon

75 / 75 Army

High Allegiant Amon Ad-Raza - WJ: +29
- Castigator - PC: 12 (Battlegroup Points Used: 12)
- Crusader - PC: 10 (Battlegroup Points Used: 10)
- Crusader - PC: 10 (Battlegroup Points Used: 7)
- Reckoner - PC: 16
- Templar - PC: 15
- Templar - PC: 15
- Devout - PC: 9

Vassal of Menoth - PC: 3
Vassal of Menoth - PC: 3
Vassal Mechanik - PC: 1
Gorman Di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist - PC: 4

Choir of Menoth - Leader & 5 Grunts: 6

quote:

Protectorate of Menoth - kreoss1

Theme: No Theme Selected
75 / 75 Army

High Exemplar Kreoss - WJ: +29
- Reckoner - PC: 16 (Battlegroup Points Used: 16)
- Reckoner - PC: 16 (Battlegroup Points Used: 13)
- Redeemer - PC: 11
- Repenter - PC: 8

Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios - PC: 7
Kell Bailoch - PC: 5
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord - PC: 4
Taryn di la Rovissi, Llaelese Gun Mage - PC: 5
Wrack - PC: 1

Idrian Skirmishers - Leader & 9 Grunts: 15
- Idrian Skirmisher Chieftain & Guide - Chieftain & Guide: 5
Deliverer Sunburst Crew - Gunner & 2 Grunts: 5

The Amon army could probably use another Choir, but I only got one.

Relatively simple lists. Amon jackspam, and Kreoss pop'n drop with a bunch of utility mercs.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

S.J. posted:

Nah, you don't need another choir, though you might find two min units more useful than one max. I would, though, try to add mechanics and maybe wracks.

My experience with Mechanics in Mk3 is that they die uselessly every time. The loss of Iron Sentinel and 4 HP makes it real hard to keep them alive so that they can actually do some repairing - Especially since you need to keep them close to the front so that they can actually repair. :shrug:

quote:

But it looks okay to me. Any particular reason why you have Taryn in the Kreoss list though?

Shadow Fire. My friends like hiding their Casters behind colossals when I bring Kreoss.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Had one of those "Huh, I guess you can do that" moments tonight.

Amon vs Nemo (the one with the boosted electrical damage feat). Amon is sitting nice and snug behind three shield guards, with three focus camped. I think he's safe.

Nope. Nemo's Stormwall drops a lightning pod right next to him, and then proceeds to loving nuke the pod with like six electroleap attacks, which all hit easily because of it's pitiful defense, and absolutely fry Amon and his pitiful armor of 14.

I like how I keep finding out about new, creative ways of murdering the other dudes even after playing for a year. :shobon:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I couldn't wait for the new plastic Guardian, so I went and bought the old dumpy one.

I really like the model, actually, but the scale creep is pretty obvious. It's barely taller than a light warjack, and the Crusader is fully a third taller and bulkier.

The Guardian is obviously supposed to be a souped up Crusader chassis, and the head even looks almost identical, so converting one from a plastic crusader should be easy - You just need to find a giant spear and two flags for the back.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

So I recently got into the game for the first time about a month ago. Never wargamed before, so I went menoth cause I liked their lore.

Got a harbinger a few days ago and finally put it together. I was warned it was one or the worst models and I can see why...really proud how it came out though. Now just need the confidence to paint it.

Get a squad of mooks like Temple Flameguard and paint them first. Your first models will not be pretty, and you don't want a centerpiece model like Harby to look terrible.

This assume that you're new to painting, of course.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Friendly Fire posted:

Also, talk with your opponent after a match. Most vets will be happy to sit there after a game and give you some very good advice on how you can play better. My meta can be ultra competitive at times due to having some high level players but it really helps you to learn by playing against them a lot.

Also, if you're new and having a non-tournament game, ask your opponent beforehand what wacky hijinks you need to watch out for in his list.

A lot of lists have a combo or synergy that is not immediately obvious to a newbie, and failing to be aware of it will usually lead to a very short and very one sided game that isn't fun for anyone, and I'm sure your opponent would rather give you fair warning while you'e still learning.

It's no fun playing a new player, have him be unaware of the "gotchas" in your list, and end the game in fifteen minutes. Unless you're a total rear end in a top hat.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Luebbi posted:

If Rhupert wasn't meant to give Pathfinder to Warjacks, he'd surely only be able to give it to warrior models! Oh wait...

It's a new edition with tons of new cards, I'm sure some of the intricacies weren't tested/realized and will be changed with the next couple erratas. That's not to say that you as a player shouldn't use the options available to you - it's up to the designers to make changes as warranted or needed.

I agree with this 100%. I personally think the Alexia thing is a oversight, but I'm not willing to enter into any "rules as intended" arguments. The rules should be followed precisely as written, and it's up to the designers to fix any instances where the rules as written don't function as the rules as intended.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Went to a tournament yesterday. I was running Kreoss1 pop'n'drop, and Amon jackspam with 6 heavies.

Game 1 was against Kromac2. Ended on turn 2 with Kromac falling (heh) victim to Kreoss1's feat. Ranged assassinations are super easy in Mk3, which is the only thing I don't like about it.
Game 2 was Kreoss1 against Hunters Grim. This guy is the only guy in my meta who plays Trolls, so I'd never played against them before. He had a solo which gave his warlock a buff which meant I couldn't shoot him when he's knocked down, so my entire plan basically went out the window. I managed to clear our most his infantry, but couldn't touch his warbeasts, and he won on attrition.
Game 3 was Amon against Magister Helynna. This game was loving rad. The mission was the one with the single circular zone in the center, and Helynna brought seven warjacks, and we had a big 'ol robot brawl in the center. I ended up winning because Synergy loving owns.

I'm pretty satisfied with 2/1.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

AnElegantPeacock posted:

PP needs to make a line of old school sculpts. It should harken back to a simpler time when life was all robes, armor plates, and chain-mail. No more of this hyper detailed, belt covered, malarkey. I'm gonna go blind trying paint all these belt buckles.

Look at the deliverer sunburst crewman, a fine model, a simple model. Now look at the new Knights exemplar UA. Ain't nobody got time to paint that poo poo.

I don't see a single belt buckle on this fine lady. That's a seriously good lookin' model IMO.

The only issue I have with PP's newer models is that there's some crazy scale creep going on. Right now I have Pyrrhus sitting on my desk alongside Kell Bailoch and Tavylin di la Rossi, which are both old models, and he's a fuckin' giant compared to them.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

chutche2 posted:

If witch hunter breaks a beast's spirit (there are some badly armored lights out there) does that make the animus fizzle?

Magres posted:

If I were a TO I'd say no it doesn't fizzle, personally, because the exact text only says if you destroy the spellcaster does it stop the spell.

E: For reference, the exact text of Witch Hunter so people don't have to go look it up

Witch Hunter - When an enemy model declares it is casting a spell while within 10" of this model, this model can immediately make a basic attack targeting the enemy spellcaster. If the spellcaster is destroyed as a result of this damage, the spell does not take effect.

No destruction, no fizzle. Thematically it makes sense though, because the wording implies that the damage (and the repercussions of the damage) resolve before the spell is cast, but based on the specific written text of the ability I don't think it causes spirit-crippled warbeasts to not finish their spells.

Agreeing with Magres. It specifically says "destroyed", not "rendered incapable of casting the spell" or something like that.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

waah posted:

Skorne just barely edges out minions. How the mighty have fallen.

Skorne is the third most played faction. What are you getting at?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I don't know enough about birds to know if that's a eagle or not, but I don't care, to me that thing is always going to be the STORM EAGLE

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I just started painting Nicia, which is one of my absolute favorite Warmachine models. I love everything about this model. The pose, heroically charging, sword high, head low. The steely determination on her face. That she's a woman soldier in a fantasy universe wearing sensible clothing and armor.

I googled the model to get a feel for what I wanted her to look like painted, and found this.

:cripes:

I love wargaming, I love the painting, I love the gaming - But a small but significant minority of the people you meet in this hobby, both offline and online, are just the absolute loving worst.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

You can call them Punchymonks if you want!

Playing Reznik 1 tonight, this thread reminded me that he loving owns with Redeemers and that Punchykickymonks are cool.

High Executioner Servath Reznik - WJ: +28
- Guardian - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 15)
- Reckoner - PC: 16 (Battlegroup Points Used: 13)

Kell Bailoch - PC: 5
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios - PC: 7
Allegiant of the Order of the Fist - PC: 3

Knights Exemplar - Leader & 5 Grunts: 9
- Knights Exemplar Officer - PC: 5
Temple Flameguard - Leader & 9 Grunts: 11

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I tried Kickymonks for the first time today. Holy gently caress they're fun. For me, that is, not the opponent.

My one Kickymonk tied up a entire unit of the legion dark elf ranger guys. The other player ended up getting so frustrated that he decided to just move them all out of his melee range, and he murdered them all. He then mozied up to a unit of dark elf swordguys, and did pretty much the same thing. He saved my warcaster by tying up for blocking charge lanes on five of them against my caster.

MVP right there. I'm bringing two next time.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

That cover is really cool.

Right warjack is definitely a Indictor, right warjack is a character warjack on the Reckoner chassis. Current speculation is that it's probably Vindictus' character 'jack Refuter of Heresy, which he apparently has in the fluff and is a Reckoner.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Saalkin posted:

That's hand of judgment on the right my friend.

No, it's a Reckoner chassis. Left one is a Guardian/Indictor/HoJ chassis but the head is all wrong for it to be HoJ. HoJ has a single vision slit thingy, not two distinct eyes. It's shoulders also aren't the super beefy HoJ shoulders.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 18, 2016

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Also, more paint jobs posted please. I need to paint more Cygnar but am having a hard time motivating myself.

Yeah ok

Painted up this lovely bunch of people in the past few days. Still need to base the ladies, obviously.

Does anyone have a guide on photographing miniatures? My paintjobs aren't fantastic, but even so I never feel like my photos do them justice.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Playing pFeora tonight for the first time.

I'm mostly playing her because I adore her model and just painted it up, but she seems to be a pretty solidly B-tier caster. I'm really unsure how to make her work, because she seems to have a total lack of synergy with anything except Hand of Judgement. I just crammed in all the standard Protectorate staples and am basically crossing my fingers here.

quote:

Protectorate of Menoth - Feora

75 / 75 Army

Feora, Priestess of the Flame - WJ: +31
- Hierophant - PC: 3
- Hand of Judgment - PC: 18 (Battlegroup Points Used: 18)
- Templar - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 13)

Nicia, Tear of Vengeance - PC: 5
Reclaimer Gatekeeper - PC: 3

Choir of Menoth - Leader & 3 Grunts: 4

The basic plan is that the Flameguard and Allegiants run up and jam, while the Warjacks, Feora, and Idrians take care of business.

Any thoughts? Am I missing something blindingly obvious about Feora?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Played pFeora yesterday. My opponent was Legion, running Kallus. Kallus' feat turns his friendly warrior models which die on his feat turn into Incubi, which is a really thematic and cool feat.

Unfortunately, my opponent didn't realize that models killed by continuous fire do not turn into Incubi, because they don't die until the start of his following turn. The abominations were purged by flame. :getin:

pFeora's feat is absolutely insane against infantry heavy armies. I don't really understand why she didn't see more table time in Mk2.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

mp5 posted:

basically because everything she does, Reznik1 (Ignite & Engine of Destruction) and Feora2 (fire) do better

Having said that, what was your list? I have pFeora on my painting table

Neither of these have her feat or Wall of Flame, which for me are by far the two largest reasons to take her. Feora2 seems really lackluster after losing her bond, especially considering how many fantastic battlegroup casters we have now. Reznik is great though, but I don't really see him as comparable to Feora.

Anyway, my list was:

quote:

Protectorate of Menoth - Feora

75 / 75 Army

Feora, Priestess of the Flame - WJ: +31
- Hierophant - PC: 3
- Hand of Judgment - PC: 18 (Battlegroup Points Used: 18)
- Templar - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 13)

Nicia, Tear of Vengeance - PC: 5
Reclaimer Gatekeeper - PC: 3

Choir of Menoth - Leader & 3 Grunts: 4

We played the three flags steamroller scenario.

He was running Kallus with Ogryn Spearmen, Nyss Swordsmen, Nyss Rangers, Two Ravagores, and some other miscellaneous junk.

I put Hand in front of his army and put two wall of flame templates between it and his army on my first turn. His second turn he was totally blocked by the effective pow 14 Wall of Flame, and could only shoot, which was fairly ineffectual (but killed a few Idrians and Flameguard). He then feated.

My second turn Nicia, the Idrians, and the Reckoner took out the Ogryn, Hand and a Blazing Effigy on my Templar took out most of his Rangers (which had overextended in a attempt to kill my choir). I then popped my feat, which wiped out pretty much everything that was left - Even denying him the Incubi from Kalus' feat. He was then forced to go for a really far fetched assassination, which failed, and Feora then Engine of Destruction'd and smashed Kallus into a pulp.

We both agreed that the game felt really one sided - Wall of Flame is a fantastic denial spell against infantry, and Feora's feat not only does awesome work against single wound infantry, but also denies Kallus his incubi.

So yeah - I wasn't super enthused about Feora, but she really shined in that game. I'm looking forward to trying her in other, less one-sided matchups.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 28, 2016

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

xiw posted:

Wall of Fire's an upkeep, so as far as I know you can only put out one at once.

Oh gently caress. I didnt notice that. I guess I cheated.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Rules question: Can I just not resolve the scatter for a blast attack that misses?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Anyone playing Reznik1? I have a list, but I have no idea if its any good. Played it against Haley2 in incursion. Was in the game, but had to bring in Reznik to kill some jacks (my battlegroup had to split to contest) and he got murked.

Rez1
Hierophant
Scourge of Heresy
Reckoner
Redeemer
Guardian
Vigilant

Max Flamebringers
Max Choir
Nicea
Wrack
Mechanik

Here's my Reznik1 list:

Rez
3x Redeemers
Reckoner
Guardian
Revenger
Max Flameguard
Max Choir
2x Wrack
Vassal
2x Allegiant

The Revenger exists solely to run forward on turn 1 and try to arc Brand unto anything. The money shot is having Brand upkept at the start of turn 2, nuking it's target to dust, and then arcing the Brand unto a second target, and also nuking that. The Allegiants and Flameguard jam, while your Guardian does double duty finishing damaged targets and being an arc node. This list is super fun, Reznik1 is definitely my favorite Menoth caster in Mk3.

You really really really want at least two and preferably three Redeemers in a Reznik1 list. I cannot overstate how absolutely nuts they are with Brand.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

High Reclaimer loving rules now.

Knight Exemplar unit with one guy left alive. I resurrect his five buddies and his UA with the feat, put Hand of Fate on them, pop UA minifeat, and they loving wreck two full HP heavies from behind. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Enjoy it for now, it's near mk2 lich2 level bullshit and the place a CA-move the cmd bubble stuff is probably going away in January. I hope at least.

Good news is, even without that rules interaction he is a total monster of a caster.

I didn't even use the UA trick. :shrug:

mp5 posted:

So the list is basically High Reclaimer, Zealots+UA and all the weapon master infantry you own? Because I have five units of Knights

why do you have five units of knights?

He doesn't really benefit from multiple units since he brings back 6-8 dudes.

The list is basically HR, arc node, 'jacks of your choice, Idrians with UA, Knights with UA, and the rest is just whatever you like. Knights because rezzing them behind heavy jacks, putting Hand of Fate and popping the minifeat is loving *hilarious*, Idrians because you can rez them with shots on his caster to aid in his spell assassination with the UA for the turn when you pull in 10+ souls.

I don't use Zealots, I don't really see how they benefit him.

My list is:

HR
Hand of Judgement
Guardian
Scourge of Heresy
Vassal
Rhupert
Allegiant
Choir
Idrians + UA
Knights + UA
Visgoth

Be careful to keep your infantry inside his command bubble to get all those dank souls. You win on the attrition game because of the feat, and can pull of pretty good assassinations by combining resurrected Idrians placed behind his line (for huge CRAs) with arced nukes from all the souls you got when those idrians died in the first place.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 16, 2016