Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
WIP Hand of Judgment and the new Avatar. HoJ has magnetized banners, old avatar sculpt for scale.

Very happy with the quality of these new models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

Epic Una. Hopefully her lack of birds means she learned how to control more than just griffons.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

Fyrbrand posted:

Nov. releases: conquest / viktor, siege crawler, Gibbs, Megalith resculpt, Nyss Warlord, Karax CA, Farrow brigands / commandos.

I'd rather see less re-sculpts and more models that have been in the books with no model for years now.

I painted my celestial fulcrum.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
Speaking of the new Knight Exemplar Officer, Does anyone know if the model will be at PAX west this weekend?

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
Did I miss the bandwagon for playing Croaks? Haven't heard much about them since mk3 but, I painted mine finally.

:getin:

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
Painted the new Knight Exemplar officer. Fun sculpt, and I'm excited to use the unit now.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
Does anyone have some tips for building Amon with a new ball & chain, using a part that will stay in the air and not be horribly brittle? Is there a good bit from another model that I could use, maybe sculpting chain links onto a curved brass rod, or coating jewerly chain in glue?

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
I'd be more willing to bring less than great models to games if I could fit them into a case.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
Discount Games is splitting some 2 player boxes, battlegroup and the unit of 10 for only $45 is pretty cool.

December preorders are up on thewarstore.com. Looks like the Indictor/Guardian box is finally coming out! I love the fanned pattern in all the gold.

There's also a "Forces of Hordes: Trollbloods" book, Madrak 3, troll weapon crew, the storm raptor, and that wolf rider solo.
I haven't really paid attention to the theme force stuff. Does this Trollblood book include theme lists? Or are theme forces a separate, later book?

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
Is the Menoth jack on the force book cover art one we haven't seen? The gemstone trim on the reckoner chassis seems pretty different.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

Business Gorillas posted:

Hey isn't there a press ganger itt? One of my friends bought a mk2 convergence box(??) and the sculpts were all warped and messed up. Who would I talk to about that?

You should definitely talk with the mispack guys at customer service as others have said. But I don't know if I'd get my hopes for these particular models.

The sculpts in question are some of the worst I've dealt with from PP. I've gotten 4 Monitor/Cipher/Inverter kits, and 6+ Galvanizer/Diffuser/Mitigators. The leg bit on these Cyriss warjacks are pretty consistently warped and have mold lines running over the edges of tiny gears. The shoulders, arms, weapons, and/or hands on every single variant have further mold line problems running across indented screws, vents, gears, chains, and buzz-saws. The shoulders for the Cipher/Inverter can have the details off-set about 1mm all along the mold line too.

I've had to just give up and clean the ones I have. Maybe I've gotten insanely unlucky, or they have improved QC on these figures, so your mileage may vary.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
Speaking of those, am I going crazy? When did mist riders get chain lightning? I was positive their card in war room had a thunderbolt spell, that did lightning damage to a target and pushed d3 inches. Chain Lightning certainly gives them some infantry mulching options.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

Excelsiortothemax posted:

You get an average of 4 attacks with a single model, so 20 of them all together. Seems good to me.

Mount or impact, voulge, then D3+1 targets on chain lightning. I'd average it to 5 attacks per guy.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
I've been having a lot of fun with Blood of Matyrs in my Amon lists, though taking a unit would be recommended. Field marshal parry means he can sidestep around enemies like in mk2, potential to threaten almost 15 inches with grievous wounds and some high mat high pow attacks. I've been taking something cheap like daughters in my amon list, to help take out annoying solos, contest zones and, activate Blood's hand of vengeance. With hand of vengeance activated, he can step between multiple heavies, and wreck all of them.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

chutche2 posted:

Yeah, that's part of the reason I've got the Castigator in there.

Something like this maybe?

http://conflictchamber.com/#b21b173N1S1U1r221L1q302M3z3z3B3B3t

Protectorate Army - 75 / 75 points

(Amon 1) High Allegiant Amon Ad-Raza [+29]
- Blood of Martyrs [16]
- Castigator [12]
- Crusader [10]
- Devout [9]
- Reckoner [16]
- Vigilant [9]
- Dervish [7]
Choir of Menoth (max) [6]
Daughters of the Flame [10]
Vassal of Menoth [3]
Vassal of Menoth [3]
Wrack [1]
Wrack [1]
Vassal Mechanik [1]

Looks great! If you have 2 choirs, double min choir for Amon is very helpful. Free up 2 points of solo, swap the choir into 2 min units. Command 6 makes it very tough to reach 6 targets in the max unit anyway. The double min unit gives you potential for having two choir buffs out (shielding on your front warjacks, battle for the reckoner etc.).

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

fadam posted:

Thanks!

I'm not too familiar with how Ret jacks are assembled, how many magnets will I need to fully assemble a Sphinx/Banshee/Daemon kit?

The heads all look so similar that I'd say just one in each wrist and one in the shoulder cannon part. So, 3 on the chassis, 3 on each set of weapons.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

chutche2 posted:

Just got the $58 prime axiom.

Right now I have syntherion, 2 magnetized tripods, mitigator, and 2 galvanizers. Gonna pick up a diffuser, corollary, optifex directive, and some servitors. Maybe an ADO and a steelsoul as well. Eventually I'll want to get a flier magnetized as well.

Should I bother with eliminator and accretion servitors? Was thinking of just getting attunement and reflex for axiom to poop out.

Accretion servitors are good with Lucant as cheap repair guys. I don't have the elimination servitors either, but feel okay without them. Prime axiom having 5 spikes himself feels like enough.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
Does a new model coming with a mk2 card count as a mispack?

I bought a madelyn corbeau from DGI, assuming it would be a mk3 card, since she's gone out of stock on that site during mk3. I have received a mk3 card with all non-mercenary models the last few times I've bought models from anywhere, other than leftovers on the LGS shelf from mk2.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

War Eagle posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a good quality mat for playing this on? I've bought some of the 2D terrain, and my initial plan was just to get a 4x4 section of green felt, but if there are good mats out there that won't wear out quickly, then I might pick up one of those for Christmas break.

http://store.frontlinegaming.org/fat-mats

The Frontline Gaming mats are great. It'll be about $70 with shipping for a 4x4 mat but, they last forever and come with a carrying bag.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
I bought the new Guardian/Indictor kit, because they look cool I guess. I plan to magnetize it as I don't have any of the old guardian models. But, in what list do I take either of these dudes? The only caster people play with an arc node is Sevvy, which means they take Blessing. Indictor is paying for blessed, sacred ward, and the consecration bubble which makes him feel redundant with Scourge of Heresy for 1 more point.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
Thanks for the help with the Guardian!

I think the Exemplar Errant UA needs some pretty serious help. If Idrians are taking over their spot from mk2 as the highly mobile gunline, the Errant UA needs something other than a threat extension.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

xiw posted:

Eye of Truth has a gun, that is excellent news.

"Gaze of Justice" So, eye lasers? First Menoth jack to not have an actual gun.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

The Bee posted:

Speaking of prospective interest, do they have a list of which models are plastic and which are metal? Some are clearly listed on the website but others seem like coinflips.

It's not as easy, but discount games has material type(s) listed on every model they sell. If I'm ever curious I look there.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
I was frustrated that in playing CoC, I'd run into situations where I'd math out "Inverter charging at +1 synergy should need 2 focus to kill his target(s), then he'll induct to the next dude who also needs 2 focus.." etc.

Then the Inverter spikes like a 17 on his first damage roll and ends up with a focus he can't spend. He messed things up because he did too good of a job. Now all my other 'jacks down the synergy chain are short a focus for a turn.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

El_Pato posted:

Thought you could buy attacks regardless now for this reason. As in buy an attack against no one to pass focus. Could be wrong

Attacks require a target. But I'd never thought before of buying an additional melee attack on something out of range to spend the focus. Meaning that as long as there's a model somewhere in LOS, you can spend focus to induct, I think? Can anyone confirm that you can do this?

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

chutche2 posted:

So, thorn gun mages. How would you use them in a mercs list?

Right now I have damiano, shae, gorten, ossrum, magnus1, and intending to get magnus2 and caine3.

Don't have cygnar, but I do have protectorate. Not sure how they'd help much there though.

I've been excited to use thorn gun mages in protectorate for a while. The utility of black penny and thunderbolt on some high rat guns is nice.

I feel that Feora2 and HoJ could both use the high rat fire shots. Then Malekus' feat gives them additional damage. 3 rat 7, pow 14+3d6 guns for 9 points seems good, they could follow a Reckoner Eye of Truth and take down a heavy.

I know there's no shortage of fire in menoth, but Thorn seem like they could get fire onto some key targets for cheaper than a heavy, and more reliably than the Sunburst, Repenter, or other infantry models.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

mp5 posted:

1. If an Officer UA comes back, can it still be placed anywhere on the board since it becomes the new Unit Commander as soon as it lands, or does it have to be placed within 3 inches of the existing leader?
2. Can I bring back models from a unit that has been completely destroyed? (my closer unit of Knights had been totally killed so I had to go with the farther ones)

1. UA still has to be within 3" of the existing commander. Models placed after that can be within 3" of the new commander.
2. No. You can't satisfying being within 3" of the commander with no models on the table.

Anatomy of a Unit (pg. 62) Shows unit components and details promoting models to unit commander as they die.
It's important with HC to properly field promote so both players can be sure of the feat's threat range. If you're forgetting to field promote in a tournament, a judge could choose a new commander unfavorably for you and ruin your feat turn.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

rantmo posted:

Are there any good 4x4 play mats other than FAT Mats out there? My friends and I are finally getting a big enough table for the real deal and as nice at the FAT Mats look, they don't seem to be available for sale anywhere (other than the snow one and we don't want that one.)

https://www.hiddenforestgaming.com/collections/gaming-mats

This guy has a few mats. They're simpler designs, just printed snow or grass but also cheaper than FAT mats. I got the Guildball one (which is 3x3, others are 4x4) and like it.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
There seems to be a lot of Menoth talk around here. Has anyone else tried Vindictus this edition? I hadn't looked at him last edition and no one seems to play him now either. I feel like the new feat and spell list is fantastic, is the infantry meta still not common enough? Maybe if an exemplar theme force comes out you could pack in enough high damage units?

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
I've built through the Grymkin starter box. Everything is plastic with manageable mold lines and low part counts. The Dread Rots are weirdly in an even softer plastic than PP's usual mk2 kit stuff. Overall, it's a pretty okay experience.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
I wanted to ask about sportsmanship / friendly games vs Grymkin.

I was playing Tanith into Heretic, activated my wyrd and shot down some pigs with fury on them. I wasn't rushing, I took some time deciding to activate reeves next to try to finish off the unit. As soon as I declared the reeve's activation next, my opponent says "Oh, after the wyrd killed that pig, I'm activating Shroud." I said okay, I get to take back my activation then, which he agreed to. I activated another unit instead, but the choice was not nearly as good as using the reeves then. I know the faction is new but, it felt really crappy to have let him known my intended order of activation, and backpedal to use an Arcana and mess that up.

What are others' thoughts on this, how much leeway should someone give during a friendly game on activating arcana?

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

Archenteron posted:

As a Magic player, (a game where priority issues are occasionally a hilarious problem), I'd say he gets the benefit of the doubt this time, since it's a new mechanic and gimmick, but remind him to be a bit more mindful in the future. In casual games, I'd add a slight pause/"Ok?" between activations to give them a chance, but if it was a timed game, I'd be less generous.

Okay. Thanks for the input. I'll mention this if it comes up again.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

Harkano posted:

Some solos became Caster Attachments (Rein, Madelyn)

One caster and attachment swapped places! Wurmwood/Cassius

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
It's nice that Lord of the Feast is finally free in theme list, paying 6 points for him in the Tharn theme was terrible. Circle could use another Blackclad/character solo for this theme though, like a character Wayfarer. Maybe we'll see more non-CID surprise characters like the Menoth / Legion ones.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
I think you mean 3 husks bearing down from ambush, but yes!

I love the new Jaga-Jaga feat, am I reading it right that the damage rolls could get SnP? Having auto-hit for 8 attacks (pow 16s from posse), the assassination potential seems strong.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
I hadn't seen anything about rotwings before either, maybe a flying cav unit? I also noticed Circle Structures as an option in the Bones theme. I'm hoping it's not an immobile version of the fulcrum, or a large treehouse. Or maybe these would be good?

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
Blindwater week 2 went up. Jaga Jaga's feat took a big hit, can't hit the same target more than once now. Everything else got more buffs, Dracodile now charges large + huge based for free, instead of warriors which is cool.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
I finished my sacral vault and Maelok, just in time for Gator Legion hype!

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

S.J. posted:

Question for anyone who plays Convergence out there: if I don't feel like putting together an infantry recusion swarm, what kinds of things are good for playing into Ghost Fleet? I mean, TEP aside, anyways.

Orion + Assimilators. As many as you can handle looking at. Rat 7 + Spellpiercer Groundpounder is great. Orion's gun can bunch targets up, Forced Induction is great for getting your heavies out of combat for more shooting. Weapon Master on the claws pairs well in looking for damage spikes with his feat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
In all my Orion games once the heavies are in combat, it's usually time to feat and not much survives. By then, tensor lattice is too important for either the TEP's targets or pushing someone out of a zone. Repo 3" is better than I had initially thought.