Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

ShowTime posted:

I just started picking up Cygnar as my Warmachine faction and I, too, picked up Haley 3 recently. Her and Maddox. Can't quite figure out what to put with Haley3, but I think its mostly gonna be good stuff throw together that maybe kills other Warcasters pretty well and nothing else? I mostly just love the design behind the caster and wanted to play it. I'd be interested in knowing what works well with her.

Sword Knights, Storm Lances, Trencher Infantry, literally any warjacks you want (Thorn is really really good though) but DEF 14-15 heavies are hilarious (you can take Jakes 1 with Gallant and he's DEF 17 lmao). Or Ol' Rowdy with Arcane Shield is 14/23. Lights are DEF 15 around her.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
Haley 3 can work with almost anything but most people will recommend at least I min unit of Trenchers as Tactical Supremacy let's them scoot back behind their own cloud wall to keep them safe.

She can skew Def really well so anything that can take advantage of that can be good. Jakes with Gallant is very popular as you get a really good heavy up to Def 17.

The GMCA is pretty handy as you can be pretty trick with shadow fire. Haley's Echos being incorporeal means you can shadow fire a colossal or heavy and charge them through it at the juicy stuff hiding behind. If the colossal/heavy has magic weapons then Future Haley casts Ghostly on the unit and they are immune to free strikes.

She can make most of our stuff work by keeping it alive more reliably and making it all hit really easily. She also has about 1000 different things she can do just with her unit. She is definitely a caster that takes a few games to get the hang of though and has a really high skill cap. Every time I play her I find more and more tricks to use with her.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Geisladisk posted:

Does anyone have a guide on photographing miniatures? My paintjobs aren't fantastic, but even so I never feel like my photos do them justice.

Stolen shamelessly from 4chan

I mean yeah, nothing specific, but it's photography, not brain surgery. Give it a modicum of effort and you should go from poo poo to not as poo poo pretty quick.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
So, worked over my Mangler a bit.

Opinions? I was trying to go for an ashes and embers feels for the basing. Does it shows?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Iceclaw posted:

So, worked over my Mangler a bit.

Opinions? I was trying to go for an ashes and embers feels for the basing. Does it shows?

I like it. If your thinking about where to step up your hand I can think of 2 things. A brown or black (maybe a dark green?) Wash will give it a bit of depth and give you some shadows in the recesses.

You can also try doing some shading with a bunch of thinned layers to give them a bit more of a gradient. Tired as gently caress and don't really have a great example in front of me, but the mini painting thread can probably dredge up some examples.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

waah posted:

So the Zaal Direct Spirits ruling is pretty sweet.

But this doesn't mean you can load up ancestral guardians with 15 soul tokens. If a model is capped at 3, then that's the max it can get.

However, if you use up all of your soul tokens, Zaal can then put them on who ever he wants if you kill your own guys, so Hakaar could use up all of his souls, you the player kill off 3 of your own dudes (or your opponent's infan.... Hahahahah no one uses infantry) before or during Zaal's activation, and then Haakaar can be full of souls again.

Also seems pretty good if your opponent messed up order of activations and lets you add a soul or two to your guardians by killing the wrong units first.

Pretty exciting for the 8 skorne players left (2 who are actually playing zaal)

This is not quite right. You can't use Direct Spirits on enemy models, since the ability specifies that it works on living friendly faction warrior models only. But since collection methods no longer apply, feel free to power up by stabbing your own (FF, living) guys to death.

fake edit: Just realized the living line for Direct Spirits means that you can't direct around Immortal/Exalted soul. So 100% construct armies still don't work-- so much for that theme.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Friendly Fire posted:

Haley 3 can work with almost anything but most people will recommend at least I min unit of Trenchers as Tactical Supremacy let's them scoot back behind their own cloud wall to keep them safe.

Those people are correct. Those people are also assholes. But, if you didn't want to be an rear end in a top hat you wouldn't play a Haley.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

rydiafan posted:

Those people are correct. Those people are also assholes. But, if you didn't want to be an rear end in a top hat you wouldn't play a Haley.

It's true. Haley is the best. Other factions are just sad they don't have time wizards.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

rkajdi posted:

This is not quite right. You can't use Direct Spirits on enemy models, since the ability specifies that it works on living friendly faction warrior models only. But since collection methods no longer apply, feel free to power up by stabbing your own (FF, living) guys to death.

fake edit: Just realized the living line for Direct Spirits means that you can't direct around Immortal/Exalted soul. So 100% construct armies still don't work-- so much for that theme.

Yeah I realized about being friendly warrior models last night but never edited my post. Regarding the direct spirits with immortals, that's kinda hilarious. Didnt catch on to that part of it. Quickly to the rules forum ic someone else hasn't asked it.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Got my Storm Raptor assembled!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

gannyGrabber posted:

Got my Storm Raptor assembled!

Nice doom army

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

rydiafan posted:

I'm happy to be an rear end in a top hat sometimes but I also play Kraye a lot so I figure it evens out a bit.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012
Buddy of mine says that a model can charge out of formation and still get it's charge attack, even if it's still out of the command bubble after all models have done their move.

To confirm (and probe my buddy wrong because "page 63 is vague"), if a model is outside of unit formation after everything makes the charge move, it cannot make the charge attack. Correct?

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

S.J. posted:

It's true. Haley is the best. Other factions are just sad they don't have time wizards.

The elves have a Time Lord.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

TheInvisiblePooka posted:

Buddy of mine says that a model can charge out of formation and still get it's charge attack, even if it's still out of the command bubble after all models have done their move.

To confirm (and probe my buddy wrong because "page 63 is vague"), if a model is outside of unit formation after everything makes the charge move, it cannot make the charge attack. Correct?

quote:

While out of formation, a trooper cannot advance outside of
its Normal Movement, make special actions, or make attacks,
including attacks that do not take place during the model’s
or unit’s activation, such as a free strike.

Seems really straightforward to me. The moment the model is out of formation it doesn't get to attack.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

fnordcircle posted:

Seems really straightforward to me. The moment the model is out of formation it doesn't get to attack.

Because I feel the need to nitpick, it's not the moment that the attacking model is out of formation but rather when the model would have the opportunity to attack, you check to see if it's command. If it is not, it cannot attack. So you can charge a trooper out of formation and as long as he is back in command when the unit leader finishes his movement, he can attack. Otherwise, he cannot.

Edit: One caveat is that impact attacks on cavalry models can be made while out of command.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

TheInvisiblePooka posted:

The elves have a Time Lord.

We do?

E: Oh yeah Ossyan has the Chronophage Cannon

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

Magres posted:

We do?

E: Oh yeah Ossyan has the Chronophage Cannon

All of his spells are supposed to be time wizard-y. He's a straight up time wizard.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Mistriders are out! Gonna do some proxying and try this...

Kreuger1
-Woldwrath
-Storm Raptor
Mist Riders (min)
Mist Riders (min)
Gallows Grove
Gallows Grove

Storm Raptor has an impressive Def15 (12+3) against shooting/magic when Kreug's got his spell up, and increases hit + dmg for lightning attacks using its' animus. Woldwrath's animus gives an extra die on magic attack rolls. Mist riders have high speed (8"!) and a chain lightning spell (10" range)! With D3 leaps! :hellyeah:

Kreuger also has a feat that autohits with 3 pow 10 lightning attacks, so those are +2 as well, putting them in "fucks up a wardude" territory. And they are boostable! That's an average of 3 POW 22's straight to you warguy's face from 14" away. I think it could actually work really well!

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Ended up going with this for Haley3:

Haley 3
-Thorn
-Defender
-Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator
Trencher Infantry (Max)
Trencher Cannon Crew
Trencher Master Gunner
-Grenadier
Lieutenant Allison Jakes
-Hunter
Captain Arlen Strangewayes
Gun Mage Captain Adept
Gun Mage Captain Adept
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress
75/75

No idea how it plays but it looks kind of dumb and rangy so I think it will be fun. I think the Trencher Master Gunner & Grenadier might be getting a little clever, but that warjack seems decent if you are running lots of trenchers. Seems to be quite a bit of synergy with the cannon crew, the trencher master gunner and the grenadier. Not sure about the gun mages, they are pricey but shadow fire seems real good with a bunch of hard hitting ranged stuff. I like trenchers + reposition and lots of dodge. The Lanyssa is basically there because she is real good for 3 points and thats all I had left. Also I like turning off eyeless sight with all the clouds that are laid down.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

ShowTime posted:

Ended up going with this for Haley3:

Haley 3
-Thorn
-Defender
-Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator
Trencher Infantry (Max)
Trencher Cannon Crew
Trencher Master Gunner
-Grenadier
Lieutenant Allison Jakes
-Hunter
Captain Arlen Strangewayes
Gun Mage Captain Adept
Gun Mage Captain Adept
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress
75/75
I'm not sure why you need Reinholdt in the list. The Haley unit has True Sight and you can remove Stealth with the GMCAs for your guns and only Haley Prime can benefit from Reload. Sylas for the same points seems far better, or the Squire if you can free up a point.

The rest of the list seems fine to me for the most part, the only thing it really seems to lack is a way to reliably crack armor in melee.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Tom Guan's recent Kaya2 list is pretty amazing. I normally don't like net lists, but this one is so fun to play with all the wolves. It can't answer everything, but it has a lot of anti infantry, armor cracking, and it should always get the alpha + second strike with the teleport feat. Outside of True sight focused lists, it's very strong.

Kaya 2 [Bunker]
Druid Wilder
Ghetorix
Pureblood Warpwolf
Wild Argus
Feral Warpwolf
Warpwolf Stalker
Sentry Stone & Mannikins
Sentry Stone & Mannikins
Lanyssa Ryssyll

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

When the other player is winning they really need to stop putting their caster right where my remaining poo poo can kill em easy.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Saalkin posted:

When the other player is winning they really need to stop putting their caster right where my remaining poo poo can kill em easy.

Is it just sloppy placement, or is it an attempt to get some work out of the caster ans leaving them in a more vulnerable position? The latter is the usual reason why I end up getting assassinated. I even had Zaal1 almost get nabbed via shooting under 2 camp and the Krea animus. Allowing people to roll dice almost is asking for it in a lot of situations, since a 20% assassination beats losing 100% the next round on scenario or getting rolled over in two turns on an attrition assassination. Attrition seems like one of the weakest way to go about winning, since it gives more opponents an idea that they are losing instead of just thinking things are fine until MK dances on a caster's face or 3 VPs get scored in one turn for the win.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

waah posted:

Yeah I realized about being friendly warrior models last night but never edited my post. Regarding the direct spirits with immortals, that's kinda hilarious. Didnt catch on to that part of it. Quickly to the rules forum ic someone else hasn't asked it.

Somebody beat me to the question, and the answer is luckily that Soul Vessel works well with Direct Spirits and Soul Taker. This awesome for me, since I'm one of the few that is willing to play Skorne and actually likes Zaal, and Zaal1 at that.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I really liked Zaal1 in MKII. He was my hardcore list. I haven't played him yet in MKIII because I'm afraid I'll never play anything else. I need to pick up Zaal2 and a second unit of Immortals. I also need to remember how I painted my first unit of Immortals.

There was a guy I used to play with in MKII who was the master of attrition. It didn't matter what faction he was playing, it was always a slog. I wonder what he's doing with MKIII.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GoodBee posted:

I really liked Zaal1 in MKII. He was my hardcore list. I haven't played him yet in MKIII because I'm afraid I'll never play anything else. I need to pick up Zaal2 and a second unit of Immortals. I also need to remember how I painted my first unit of Immortals.

Zaal1 has been my fav ever since I painted him and the exalted package up. He's even better now that Karax got cheaper and marginally better, and Immortals can have their souls pushed around. Almost everybody who's played into it felt good for the first turn or two, and then realized they gave me enough souls and rage tokens to wreck stuff. I want to keep playing it in MKIII for awhile, if only because the army is now wide open because no tier list is required to make the list work. Zaal2 is something I never bought in MKII and feel bad for not trying out a few times. If I can somehow get a few construct beasts in a theme book so I can field an all unliving army (or maybe just with a few extollers) I'd be cool with it regardless of power level.

quote:

There was a guy I used to play with in MKII who was the master of attrition. It didn't matter what faction he was playing, it was always a slog. I wonder what he's doing with MKIII.

I'd bet about the same as in MKII. I'm just less enthused with it in general-- the problems I had with attrition play are the same as MK II. I don't think it got any worse in MKIII.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

rkajdi posted:

Zaal1 has been my fav ever since I painted him and the exalted package up. He's even better now that Karax got cheaper and marginally better, and Immortals can have their souls pushed around.

My Karax are ready. I didn't used them much in MKII but cheaper is better. Immortal souls sound awesome.

quote:

If I can somehow get a few construct beasts in a theme book so I can field an all unliving army (or maybe just with a few extollers) I'd be cool with it regardless of power level.

Oooo. That's something I never considered as a possibility. That would be pretty sweet theme-wise. I'd pick them regardless.

I still want a Cyclops in Cataphract armor. That's my dumb wish.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GoodBee posted:

My Karax are ready. I didn't used them much in MKII but cheaper is better. Immortal souls sound awesome.

Yeah, while I have almost everything for Skorne, I paint in parts and haven't done my Karax up yet. They are early on my list of stuff to do, but I'm waiting until I figure out what I want to use in my Skorne journeyman list before I start painting stuff I'm not going to use yet. I have a hard time building armies that aren't specific skews that don't use them, though.

quote:

Oooo. That's something I never considered as a possibility. That would be pretty sweet theme-wise. I'd pick them regardless.

It's sort of been rumored at since Zaal2's feat, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense until you start having constructs with more than 10 boxes. And giant stone monsters fits the terracotta army theme of the immortals.

quote:

I still want a Cyclops in Cataphract armor. That's my dumb wish.

You and me both. I'd love to see some non-character heavy cyclops beasts to make a full cyclops army for Makeda. But again, that's more fluff than actual effectiveness, since two of the three Makedas don't seem to have a point now.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Hey, no WTC talk? I know this thread isn't as competitively minded as the rest of the WMH community (and that's why I love it), but come on! It's the WTC!

Live Results, Leaderboards and stuff can be found HERE.

page5.de are supplying quality live streams, with picture in picture commentary, HERE. There are others as well.

Two guys from our local meta are playing for Germany Black. It feels like I'm rooting for a sports team. One of us drove all the way to Amsterdam (400km) to cheer them on... and to buy tokens for half the community from the MoM store.

So far, the US sadly only has one undefeated team left. My boys are 2:1, while the other two german teams are undefeated. Also the only country with two undefeated teams left. There are 8 undefeated now, three rounds to go. I'll try to follow the stream again today. Tabletop gaming! So excitinig!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

gannyGrabber posted:

Mistriders are out! Gonna do some proxying and try this...

Kreuger1
-Woldwrath
-Storm Raptor
Mist Riders (min)
Mist Riders (min)
Gallows Grove
Gallows Grove

Storm Raptor has an impressive Def15 (12+3) against shooting/magic when Kreug's got his spell up, and increases hit + dmg for lightning attacks using its' animus. Woldwrath's animus gives an extra die on magic attack rolls. Mist riders have high speed (8"!) and a chain lightning spell (10" range)! With D3 leaps! :hellyeah:

Kreuger also has a feat that autohits with 3 pow 10 lightning attacks, so those are +2 as well, putting them in "fucks up a wardude" territory. And they are boostable! That's an average of 3 POW 22's straight to you warguy's face from 14" away. I think it could actually work really well!

You need to re-read pKrueger's feat. It says 'one or more', so you can't get 3 separate damage rolls on a single model. It's still really good though.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Saalkin posted:

I don't really know what to do with my warlock from like turn three onward. They need to be somewhat close to my beasts to be able to control them and be able to cast spells, but they also can't be vulnerable. And there are a lot of movement shenanigans to worry about where someone can be on top of me and alpha striking. Some of those games though I manage to weaken their stuff enough to get a clear line to the caster. Do most games come down to assassination? I find the battle of attrition where I table someone or at least kill enough to where they have to give up the most fun, but I haven't had that in this game yet. Though the 30-35 point skirmish games I play are probably not ideal for that kind of gameplay.

I can't wait to have enough stuff to play 75 points. Here's what I have so far:

Absylonia 2
Carnivean
Raek (I love how this model looks! I need to include it in every list going forward.)
2x Shepherds
The Legion box (Neraph, Bolt Thrower, 2x Shredder, and that warlock I find boring.)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Hey isn't there a press ganger itt? One of my friends bought a mk2 convergence box(??) and the sculpts were all warped and messed up. Who would I talk to about that?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Business Gorillas posted:

Hey isn't there a press ganger itt? One of my friends bought a mk2 convergence box(??) and the sculpts were all warped and messed up. Who would I talk to about that?

Have him go to here: http://mispack.privateerpress.com/

It says "mispack", but also covers miscasts as well. If he didn't get Mk3 cards in it, I think most retailers were supposed to get a special Mk3 release kit to replace cards in existing stock, so he could also inquire about that.

Edit: I've had nothing but good experiences with their customer service, including parts replacement. I don't think your friend should have a problem.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Saalkin posted:

It was me. I overestimated how dangerous a healthy arcnode 6" away from pbutcher and satyxis got to kd him for denny. I played like a big goof that game.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Saalkin posted:

Overconfidence is a real thing. It was actually something I'd see a lot back in my days of playing Mk2 Mad Dogs. Mad Dogs into Ret, the Ret guy spends the first 2 or so turns killing doomies and talking about how OP Ret was. I had like, 12 Doomies out of 60 left and tabled him.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

Business Gorillas posted:

You should definitely talk with the mispack guys at customer service as others have said. But I don't know if I'd get my hopes for these particular models.

The sculpts in question are some of the worst I've dealt with from PP. I've gotten 4 Monitor/Cipher/Inverter kits, and 6+ Galvanizer/Diffuser/Mitigators. The leg bit on these Cyriss warjacks are pretty consistently warped and have mold lines running over the edges of tiny gears. The shoulders, arms, weapons, and/or hands on every single variant have further mold line problems running across indented screws, vents, gears, chains, and buzz-saws. The shoulders for the Cipher/Inverter can have the details off-set about 1mm all along the mold line too.

I've had to just give up and clean the ones I have. Maybe I've gotten insanely unlucky, or they have improved QC on these figures, so your mileage may vary.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

S.J. posted:

You need to re-read pKrueger's feat. It says 'one or more', so you can't get 3 separate damage rolls on a single model. It's still really good though.

Ah, butts. That makes a lot more sense. I still think the stupid list could be fun to play.

Anyways I played this at an event today and sort of did OK.

Mohsar
-Wilder

-Pureblood
-Pureblood
-Pureblood
-Wild Argus
-Gorax
-Woldwyrd
Druids
-UA
Sentry Stone
Shifting Stones

I did two hugely dumb things, though! I paid for Sunhammer (wilder gives upkeeps for free) and I put Mirage on the Druids (who already have apparition from their UA). I am dumb and bad.

My woldwyrd did like 30 dmg to a stormwall, though! Turns out Purgation + Wraithbane is a thing. I'mma retool the beasts in the list and try to add a second one, i think!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Won a tourney yesterday with minions. Beat Caine2, Ossyan, and Amon with 8 Crusaders. I rarely get to play in events (I work weekends, and at cons I tend to run events) so it felt good to take this one home.

Best moment was measuring to see if Caine2 was within 20" of my squid. Dude said I couldn't shoot him through his trencher clouds. He was very confused when I said I was going for melee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

rydiafan posted:

Won a tourney yesterday with minions. Beat Caine2, Ossyan, and Amon with 8 Crusaders. I rarely get to play in events (I work weekends, and at cons I tend to run events) so it felt good to take this one home.

Best moment was measuring to see if Caine2 was within 20" of my squid. Dude said I couldn't shoot him through his trencher clouds. He was very confused when I said I was going for melee.

Post lists!