Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
A former Press Ganger in my area has kept a small meta going, and we've got a group order for the faction boxes in. We'll at least have enough of a group to give MkIV a full shakedown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
The doomsaying in here has mostly been carried by moths serial posting. It doesn't feel like good faith call-outs, feels like you're invested in their failure. With the glee you've got about the missteps, I can see why you got banned out. I've popped in and out of the official pages, looking for any of this intense scrubbing you say is going on either and not finding it. Possible I'm not spending enough time keeping their page under a microscope, but if that's the case- how much time are you spending F5'ing the page trying to find this?

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
So tacking a quick scan of this thread back through December, the only 1st person source of uncured resin I found is the imgur post (https://imgur.com/a/yZUIj6g). There is a post of a new Cygnar jack, but that was in the context of layer lines existing. It certainly has a sloppy paint job, but if sloppy paint jobs are evidence of uncured resin, the hobby's got a much bigger problem *points to the Unspiration thread*. There was mention of people being "forced to paint" uncured minis, but that's unsourced as far as this thread goes. Feel free to refresh the source(s) if you got it, this was about a five minute look.

This discussion started with that one person's post, who introduces themselves as knowledgeable in resin printing, describes the issues that they found, and at the end sounds positive on the long term outlook. That issue hasn't appeared in any other sourced comments. The issue has been then circled back and forth in chatter among the same posters, who at one point cite the fact that people (read: themselves) are talking about it on SA so it must be real. This feels like the wargames version of 24-hour news channel talking heads drumming up controversy on a slow news day.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
This you?

moths posted:

It's unsettling just how well that strategy works for PR.

How many variations of "If there are problems, people would be taking about them" here ITT, where we're talking about the problems.

E: I love the quirks and disasters of this industry, and forgive me if I'm fascinated by PP painting themselves onto this late-stage TSR landscape.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Still looks like you're citing yourself talking about it as proof that people are talking about it, which is pretty weak.

Did anyone else manage to post evidence of it happening? Even if it was on a deleted post, screenshots are a widely known thing. Dakka's a step in the right direction, do they have anything more to add besides rehashing one imgur post?

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Ultimately, absent any evidence of more widespread issues, I don't see any reason to get more concerned about it that the experienced printer who has first hand knowledge.

It's a lovely example of an individual product, it's not proof that MKIV is doomed and the printing process is unworkable.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
So looking more at the resin situation, I'm caught thinking about the UV curing. Does that mean unpainted models will over-cure over time from regular daylight?

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Change in tune between blog posts makes it sound like . . . one, maybe two weeks ago.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Its amazing how bad their social media admins are. Just single line "You're wrong" posts with the tone of a shitposter.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
The model stats present for the big app release were riddled with obvious errors. Not "this is a weird balance choice but maybe it'll work out" stuff, but full on missing stats, missing rules, rules that canceled out other rules on the model. Oh, and don't forget typos ("knofe")/ It was pretty clear that PP didn't run a proofreader over anything, let along try to do any internal playtesting that would have pointed out the issues the minute someone tried to use the models on a table.

So yeah, shitshow.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Nah, it was a screw-up. Beta-tests are your second level testing, they come after you've hammered out enough issues to have a functional product. As noted above, these are copy editing level errors, and ones that actually prevent someone from playing the game. Models didn't have stat lines. It is a product failure, and one that results from the basic problem of not proofreading what they put out.

It also marks the admins out as *being misleading* on another issue. People were complaining about nerfs, and the PP staff were saying it was all balanced as part of a general de-powering. Anyone that tried to play with these profiles would have seen "Oh, necessary numbers to use this model aren't printed," so that fact that it got published in that state says nobody was doing that kind of playtesting.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Just happened on to a Twitter thread about
. . . well Twitter and user trust. Seems very appropriate to a number of gaming companies in general, through, and Privateer Press is specific at the moment.

https://twitter.com/garius/status/1...ingawful.com%2F

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
I was recruited in/played mainly with a guy who was a hard-core former pressganger. Had enough models to run at least one (typically many) army in every faction, boards mats and terrain for about 4 games at once. He'd do weekly games at his small business after hours, and monthly regional get together game days.

He seems to have lost faith that PP can function in a non head-in-rear end manner, and we all think their social media is active harmful to their reputation and business. He picked up the Thousand Sons holiday box, I've been painting Necrons, and a third regular is looking at jumping from PP dwarves to the Votann

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

evenworse username posted:

I guess maybe PP thinks this is going to incentivize buying their big models, but I really don't think what they want to be doing is putting additional barriers in the way of their existing player base playing Mk IV. Like, if you have a WMH collection right now you almost certainly have a bunch of infantry. This just makes it that little bit less likely that I'm going to give things a shot when a good chunk of the models I have from various dumpstered factions are basically a waste of time to put in a list.

It's not just old factions. The new Cygnar box has the following contents:
1 Captain Athena di Baro Warcaster
1 Courser Light Warjack (4x Head 8x Arm/Weapon options)
1Stryker Heavy Warjack (4x Head 8x Arm/Weapon options)
1 Stormblade Legionnaires Unit (5 models)
1 Stormguard Legionnaires Unit (5 models)
2 Legionnaire Standard Bearers

1 Tempest Thunderers Unit (3 models)
1 Arcane Mechaniks Unit (3 models)
1 Legionnaire Officer Solo

I've eyeballed & bolded what I expect are single wound infantry out of the current new player box (not downloading their app for this). So there's a significant chunk of the new package that has a bad time from this.

There's also the issue of the previous explanation of the high price point of an entry box ($200) being that it is complete for a player to be able to step up to a table & play. Now PP is adding these, where a player will also need to pay at least $20 for a pack that contains one of each type of defense, up to $80 if they want four packs for the option to field the max of one type of defense.

Edit: 54 drudges. I feel you. I was super pleased about getting my FA of Dread Rots finished.

PharmerBoy fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
The trouble their is PP is declaring that homemade walls/barrels/traps/firepits aren't legal for official events. It's the $20 per pack or nothing.