Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

I understand that this was specifically talking about gang and flank, but the precedent it's setting is, "An ability that requires an enemy model to be engaged does not work if the enemy model cannot be engaged."

And assuming this precedent, I'm not looking forward to what other rulings they are going to come down with. This, in my opinion, is a terrible ruling that's going to create the very "gotcha!" moments PP was trying to avoid.

Also, it's a drat good thing they changed the wording on a failed charge, because otherwise a knocked down Magnus the Traitor would be nigh unkillable.

EDIT:

I feel compelled to elaborate on my earlier statement...

The ruling on gang and flank is a good ruling in the sense that "rules as written" means it works just as they intended it to work. However, I feel that this is a terrible ruling regardless because it goes against their goal of making a streamlined and simplified gaming experience. It creates a huge "gotcha!" moment because you need to understand what the keyword "engagement" is defined as in the rules, and know what can stop a model from being engaged. It doesn't make sense to me in any perspective other than a rules one, which is going to make me mull over the exact words used on abilities and effects when I should be enjoying a casual steampunk Pacific Rim reenactment.

TheInvisiblePooka fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

rantmo posted:

Tonight I'm going to assemble the Stormblade Infantry command attachment and the standard looks like it's going to be prone to detaching from the pole. Is that the case or am I worrying over nothing? Also, the pole is going to bend all the loving time isn't it?

My storm blade standard bearer has never fallen apart or bent on me.

However, it will fall the gently caress over all the time for being a top heavy as poo poo model.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

rantmo posted:

Jesus gently caress you weren't joking. How does something like that even get released? I'm going to have to weigh the poo poo out of that fucker.

The reason why it's so top heavy is because the flag is insanely thick and up really high. Physics is a loving bitch.

To counter this, I actually cut the length of the pole down to put the weight closer to the ground, and thus making the model less likely to tip over. I've seen people grind the back down to reduce the weight, and I've also seen people replace the flag with painted cloth.

You could do what most people do, which is not attach the flag. The flag is what damns the model because it's not centered on the base and up too drat high.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

Khisanth Magus posted:

vinter went super paranoid and had Magnus totrured by a skorne paingiver to find out if he had betrayed vinter

Once you realize that Magnus is bassically Big Boss of Iron Kingdoms, things start to make sense about him.

I can lore dump on his rear end without spoilers from Blood of Kings if people are interested. I'm mostly up to date with Magnus because I'm an unashamed Iron Kingdoms lore whore.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

Serenade posted:

I want to hear about how Trolls are actually the only non evil people in the universe.

Except for that one time a mountain king cracked open a train car like a can of soup and ate everyone inside while Doomshaper watched and thought this was perfectly acceptable behavior.

Edit - posting from my phone means all the things get misspelled.

TheInvisiblePooka fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 1, 2016

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012
I was going to open this with "kept you waiting huh?" and then go right into Magnus talk that people wanted, but I see that people couldn't wait. Since I said I will Magnus fluff dump, I will Magnus fluff dump. I'll try to avoid any spoilers from Blood of Kings, but just realize that Blood of Kings is basically the climatic ending of a plot line over a literal decade in the making.

So without further delay...

Metal Gear Magnus - The Traitor, The Warlord, and the Big Boss
"Kept you waiting huh?" -Something Magnus would probably say.

Magnus is responsible for a lot of crazy poo poo happening in the Iron Kingdoms, and he is kind of a big deal. This is a guy who trained two of Cygnar's most lore successful casters - Caine and Stryker. He's made kings out of chumps. He makes jacks out of junkyard heaps. He manages to kick rear end in a leg brace that is on par with Mad Max. But I'm getting ahead of myself... so let's go back in time a bit.

Part One of Metal Gear Magnus - Solid

Magnus was a top commander in Vinter's army. Magnus and Vinter got along a lot better than Vinter got along with Leto (who is Vinter's brother). Their friendship was to the point that Magnus and Vinter would sword fight on the front lawn of the palace. If that doesn't sound like a big deal, understand that Vinter is considered the greatest human swordsman in history. The fact Vinter thinks your worth the time to duel is very important. Considering that Vinter defeated Makeda and her beasts by himself to show how badass of a swordsman he was, the fact that Magnus could hold his own against Vinter shows how good Magnus was.

Magnus wasn't all brawn either. Magnus was smart, and a drat good engineer. He valued the functionality of Warjacks over the lives of his men, and so learned how to maintain warjacks under his command. Vinter approved of this since it was cheaper to just draft more bodies into the grinder than it was to manufacture more warjacks. However, they were the only two who throught such tactics were a good thing. Magnus sustained casualty rates that were insanely high, but if they got him victory then it was all good.

Anyway, the main reason for Vinter and Magnus being bros was both of them were ruthless in combat and commanding. Neither showed mercy, and neither had time to put up with the bullshit of peasants. However, Magnus was a cunning son of a bitch who could see the writing on the wall - everyone hated that mother fucker Vinter. Vinter kept everyone in line because they feared him, his inquisition, and Magnus. However, people were starting to gather towards Leto, and Leto was slowly becoming convinced that Vinter needed to be kicked off the throne. Leto was also Warmaster General, and had Birk Kinbrace and some asshat named Nemo secretly recruiting warcasters and soldiers to the cause. Magnus needed a plan to stop Leto from taking over. For that, Magnus needed warcasters.

So Magnus found two... Caine, and Stryker.

Part Two of Metal Gear Magnus - Sons of Leto

I'm not going to dive much into Way of Caine because you really should read it for yourself. It's cool and good. The short version is that Magnus bails Caine out of some poo poo, trains him to be a badass Warcaster, and then Caine does some poo poo to gently caress it all up while Magnus was off doing something else.

Stryker however... we gonna talk about this a bit more than Caine.

After Coleman Stryker got angry and made a jack destroy a building (at the age of 16), Magnus was quick to snatch up Stryker. In exchange for paying off all the property damage Stryker caused, Magnus got Stryker to join the royal guard. Magnus knew that Stryker was a warcaster, but kept this hidden from everyone. Magnus trained Stryker in secret how to control warjacks, fight with a sword, and use magic. Magnus was doing this while also training Caine on the side. The intention was to use both of them as surprise weapons against Leto on the day he decided to revolt, which would be known as the Lion's Coup.

On the day of the Lion's Coup, Leto and his band got hosed up by Stryker, Magnus, and Vinter. Magnus said that the price of treason was death, and was more than happy to carry it out. However, before the bullets started flying, Stryker casts Earthquake in the room. The intention was to knock everyone down so Leto and his group could escape. However, Magnus' Defender, a jack that weighs six and a half tons, fell onto Magnus. Everyone thought Magnus died, so they proceeded into the final fight against Vinter.

Fortunately for all you Magnus fans out there, Magnus survived having a jack fall down on him. However, Magnus lost his left arm, and his left leg now has a permanent brace on it. For those of you wondering why he's Speed 5 and a mechanical arm, that's why. You can blame Stryker and his loving earthquake spell.

Part Three of Metal Gear Magnus - Merc Eater

After Magnus recovered, Leto was willing to pardon him for siding with his Vinter during the Coup. The short version is that Magnus told Leto to gently caress off and throw himself onto his own sword. Magnus, in his hosed up state, became the leader of the resistance fighters who were still loyal to Vinter. When Vinter shows up with the Skorne Army, Magnus goes to help. However, Vinter starts loving poo poo up on purpose, and Magnus calls him out on his bullshit. In response, Vinter has Magnus tortured by Morghoul. While being tortured, Magnus tells Morghoul that Vinter has played the Skorne for fulls and they are all a bunch of chumps. Magnus escapes, and starts looking for a plan b... b stands for boy.

Magnus is looking for a kid named Julius, who is heir to the throne of Cygnar. This is covered in Way of Caine, but it's also covered in a lot of the mercenary fluff of Mk.2. Basically, Magnus finds Julius before Caine can, and starts training him to not be a total loving bitch. Seriously, Julius is like the Iron Kingdoms version of Joffrey at first because holy poo poo. I guess you can say that Magnus is Tyrion in this case, but let's get back to the story... ANYWAY, Magnus and Julius pull of a heist where Julius almost gets killed (and Magnus does nothing to stop it). The heist gets them enough gold to literally buy every loving mercenary contract and Colossal. It was actually pretty baller.

At some point during all of this, that rear end in a top hat Caine shows up again. He and Magnus have a heart-to-heart (which includes the "We're not so different, you and I." cliche), and Caine fucks off to do something else. I would go deeper, but you really need to read the book. What you need to take away from it is this - not everyone in Cygnar loyal to Leto is good, and not every traitor is bad. It's not only a big moment for Caine, but also for Magnus. While Magnus is considered the worst of the traitors to Cygnar, he's actually doing what he swore to do - serve the rightful king.

Also, Magnus started rounding up the Vinter loyalists. Magnus does this by simply saying that he can get Julius on the throne. All Magnus needs in return is more money, more jacks, and more loyalty to Vinter. The nobles fall for it because they still think Magnus is Vinter's right-hand man. Magnus however, is playing a different game. Magnus doesn't want Vinter on the throne because he sees Vinter for what he is - batshit crazy. Instead, Magnus wants Julius on the throne because he can control Julius. So what's the end game for all of this? Magnus is going to use Julius as a puppet to run Outer Heav- I MEAN Cygnar.

Part Four of Metal Gear Magnus - Fate of the Patriot

A lot of stuff happens in Blood of Kings. I'm not going to go into any of it because you should read it for yourself. It is also a drat good book. I will, however, talk about the aftermath and what that means for Magnus.... and my theories...

The book ends with Magnus still being a mercenary. In the future, that may change. Where the book ends and where Mark 3 begins is a three year jump. Magnus could be working in Cygnar, Caine could be working for the Mercs. I don't think that will happen though. Magnus got what he wanted in the end, which was a true heir to Vinter on the throne. Magnus played his end game, and now you must ask "what do we do?" His only purpose now is pretty much safely locked away in a palace guarded by hundreds of elite soldiers. I think his new purpose is going to be to fight in the parts of the war the higher ups forgot about. Magnus is a guy who gets poo poo done, regardless of how dirty or little it is. He achieves the impossible, and people respect him for that. He's still ruthless; still cold. But he's Magnus. The end result justifies the bodies he broke to get there. If there's a place in Cygnar for that, it's going to be because Cygnar is in a desperate situation.

And you know what? That just might be the case. Cygnar is fighting a lot of different enemies from all over the place. Magnus is a conqueror. His place is on the battlefield. There's always a war for Magnus to fight, and he will fight it because that's what he loves to do. He runs the game and gauntlet like nobody else can. And I don't think he's going to want it any other way. If Magnus 3 is a Cygnar warcaster, he will be the most ruthless, unethical warcaster Cygnar has ever seen. And I'm OK with that.

Because Magnus is Big Boss, and you should paint his metal hand red.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

e whats some good fluff to read

Into the Storm and Into the Wilds
Part of a series of books that follows around a group of misfit soldiers that have lightning swords. Best character is Salvador Acosta, second best being is Headhunter, their giant angry Stormclad.

Way of Caine
Really good book that goes into the origins of Caine. He's pretty much a drunk Jon Woo 24/7/365. Magnus is in it.

The Butcher of Khardov
Probably the best fluff book you'll read. It gives you the origin story of Orsus Zoktivir "The Butcher" and Lola, his talking murder axe.

Blood of Kings
Basically all of the fluff dumps have been about this book, or lead up to this book. It briefly covers a large plot that has finally been resolved after nearly a decade of build up.

Any of the other books I've either not read, or wouldn't recommend because they're bad.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

rantmo posted:

Do we know when Flashpoint is being published? I'm really ready to go all-in on the MKIII storyline.

The date I was given was July 13th, but I have nothing but word of mouth backing that up.

My biggest concern is that this is the first true Mk.3 fluff book and it will set the entire tone for what the universe of Mk.3 is going to be like. Blood of Kings was an excellent closer on a very major story.

Kithkar posted:

It was pre released at lock and load, where I got it. Was really good.

Oh thank merciful Christ.

Can you tell me if it's written better than Blood of Kings? Doug Seacat is more of a "good enough" writer than a "good" writer in my opinion.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

rantmo posted:

This is probably too open-ended a question, but how do you all approach the use of minimum units when list building? Given the increased focus on 'jacks/beasts in MKIII I feel like I need to think more seriously about it but it also feels like it's even more important for units to be at full strength so that they can really have a meaningful board presence. I don't own a ton of infantry yet, so it's largely academic right now but something I feel like I need to start really thinking about, especially focusing on Cygnar as I have been.

I main Cygnar, so I can only speak about Cygnar and MercNar.

When I'm looking at taking a min unit or a max unit, I usually ask myself what I'm using them for.

If it's a cheap throw away unit that I'll use to tie down enemy models (Sword Knights, Steel Head Spears, Press Gangers, etc.), or a unit that has a very specific purpose (Blazers, Long Gunners, Mechanics, etc.) then I usually bring a min unit of them. In most situations, they are being brought as a minimum to shore up a weakness in my list, or as an answer to something that I might face. A perfect example is how I almost always bring a minimum unit of Blazers with Siege. The Blazers are there because they can harass the flank of my enemy, as well as be absolutely disgusting with brutal shots on feat turn. However, what does the real work in my Siege list is Siege and the Stormwall I bring with him. The other stuff is just in case.

For a maximum unit, you should be bringing them because they are absolutely vital to your winning strategy. Storm Lances with Maddox is a good example of this. There is almost no reason to bring a minimum unit of Storm Lances with Maddox. Either bring them all, or bring none of them; there isn't much of an in between. Also, when you bring that max unit, almost everything else in the army should be helping support that unit in what it does. If I'm dropping Storm Lances, then I'm also dropping Laddermore, Storm Blade Captain, one or two Stormclads, and one or two Fireflys.

Overall though, I feel the game is moving very far away from infantry heavy lists. It's no longer a game where you bring poo poo tons of infantry and one or two jacks that, "Do a thing." Now, I feel the game relies heavily upon warbots supporting infantry supporting warbots. If you go too heavy one way or the other (except for a few casters), the game feels really awkward. The game really wants you to go heavy on the jacks, and rewards you for it.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

S.J. posted:

Amethyst Rost is a gun mage order, just a paint job away. I'd be surprised if they ever got actual rules, the fluff was always just a justification for having certain mercs be able to take them.

If I remember correctly, the Amethyst Rose was destroyed by Khador when they assassinated the King of Llael, blew up their headquarters, and did some other very Khador things. Protectorate didn't improve the situation much either, but it was mainly Khador's fault.

HOWEVER, they have been resurrected as "The Thorn Gun Mages", their name coming from the fact that a rose has thorns and they will constantly be a thorn in the side of Khador.

So if you wanted to play Amethyst Rose gun mages, you can just use the Thorn Gun Mages. They are what remains of the Amethyst Rose.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

S.J. posted:

I wasn't aware of that, was that in a novel? Their HQ being blown up, that is. I'm still catching up. I'm almost upset that the WMH novels aren't just hot garbage because I was hoping for an excuse not to buy them.

I think it's pretty funny that Llael is now split up like post-WWII Germany :v:

It was either the Amethyst Rose headquarters, or the Golden Crucible headquarters. Khador and Irusk blew up almost everything.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

S.J. posted:

I just know I'll end up buying Prime & Primal for the fluff because I am an idiot

What I'm referring to is from the old Mk.1 rulebook fluff, and the Iron Kingdoms RPG books.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

Zwiebel posted:

Khador didn't assassinate Llaels king. Cygnar did.

Wait, what? I must have totally zoned out on that detail. Wow.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Yeah, the same spymaster who ran Caine in Blood of Kings had him assassinate Llael's king to throw the country into confusion and basically keep Khador from focusing too much on actual Cygnar territory. I don't much get the logic unless he thought that Llael would stay out of Khador incursion into Cygnar territory. A two-front war seems like it would be harder on Khador than a war and an occupation. Oh well~

Llael had a very small standing army to begin with, and was absolutely steamrolled by Khador. I have zero idea how that could have been a good idea.

In the end, Khador would end up invading Cygnar and starting the Thornwood War. No idea how killing the King of Llael was a "good idea" for Cygnar. Since, you know, they're allies.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

Felime posted:

I think the logic in way of caine was that the Llaelese monarchy wasn't 100% happy with Leto being king and was supporting nobles plotting against him with mercs, etc...

Spymaster McDickhead decided that meant he should go order him killed on the king's behalf. He's kindof a dickhead.

I also imagine Rebald (I think that was his name) really sucked at his job.

I say sucked because he wanted to kill Julius and Caine wasn't going to shoot a teen in the face. You think Julius is going to let spyblunder keep his job after finding out that bit of info?

Edit - spoiler tag

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

S.J. posted:

I dunno but the fluff is still rad

Unless it's Haley-related.

Then it's awful.

I'm avoiding Wrath of the Dragonfather because it has Haley and Constance doing a team up. Mostly, I just read about the characters I like, the stuff that interests me, or what is considered crazy good book.

Wrath of the Dragonfather seems interesting though because I really like the dragons of the fluff. Especially Chimera, because he's dope.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

S.J. posted:

I dunno man the only Haley fluff I thought was dumb was when she healed her awesome robot arm and got cured of that poison, that was awful. Her old fluff with how she murdered the poo poo out of her sister was rad as hell. Like she's routinely way in over her head and it's great. Time wizards are rad and I wish Cygnar had more of them than just Haley.

Another dumb moment was when Haley was moping on a cliff side with her new robotic arm and complaining that her once perfect body was now ruined.

I think that was in Apotheosis. It's right before she sneaks into the Cryxian isles, and gets into a hilarious fight with Skarre, with the fight heavily favoring Haley.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

S.J. posted:

I love that both her fluff and her rules leave people going 'But why can she do that?' and the answer to both is 'Because I'm a time wizard deal with it :smug:'

Ossyan vs Haley - Which time wizard is best wizard?

Now I'm sad because there's barely any Ossyan fluff out there, and he's very cool and good. :(

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

S.J. posted:

I really wanna pick up a pair of trench busters to use with trenchers because got drat they are so useful

And I can't wait to pick up the new Merc Trencher solo so I can heal them back to full along with Stryker 2 :allears:

Kaio-ken x3 two times per game.

Gibbs is the trencher we never needed. Watch him be in every list forever now.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Hey it wasn't all bad, at least you always knew what net decked lists, per faction, you'd be facing. Currently mk3 meta is Wild Wild West territory.

Before the change, you'd see only three or four lists per faction. The most variety in list building I ever saw in Mk.2 was my flgs funeral for Mk.2 tournament.

Mk.3 has made the game a lot more interesting and varied. I can count on one hand the number of things I dislike in Mk.3, and I don't even use all my fingers.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

Khisanth Magus posted:

Oh, Acosta is Knaak's self insert in this setting? I really hate Knaak the Hack and really wish companies would stop having him write fiction for them.

Wonder how long it will be before Acosta has to save all of the most powerful characters in WM/H, up to and including Haley, Harbinger, and Wurmwood.

Into the Storm was good enough for me to read Into the Wilds, which I feel was a good book. It's A LOT better than Into the Storm.

Best character in the books is Headhunter though, because he's Stormclad Rowdy. Why Acosta has center stage (being a support character) is beyond me. It should be Headhunter everytime.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

fnordcircle posted:

Why should I be angry about Sloan now? Someone in one of the FB groups is claiming she got buffed.

Sloan's feat now gives +1 ROF to her and models in her battlegroup, and allows Sloan to cast Fire Group for free.

I don't consider Sloan's errata a buff so much as being a shittier version of Haley1's feat.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

Friendly Fire posted:

In a straight comparison sure, but in the context of what Sloan will take in her battlegroup anyway it's fine. Haley 1 can run a great Jack gunline, but she runs an amazing combined arms force too and her feat suits that style of play.

In the context of what Sloan does, the old Mk.3 feat was leaps and bounds better than what it is now. The old Mk.3 feat, as unfun as it was, felt like a real feat. What they replaced it with is Sloan's old Mk.2 feat with a new paint job. It feels very "meh" and that's a problem.

PP could have very easily combined both feats into something like, "Sloan and models in her battlegroup gain +1 ROF and +2 RAT during their activation this turn." To me, this would have been the best solution.

Alternatively, they could have made the spell casted be Guided Fire instead of Fire Group. Guided Fire is so much more useful than Fire Group, especially when you think beyond the first two turns of the game. Sloan's new feat is only really useful during those first two turns now because once turn three rolls up, there's few scenarios where you need for any range bonus.

But, you know, three years of play testing and design space. Probably something I'm missing.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

PaintVagrant posted:

I'm not sure I mind feign death on units, but on casters it is really egregious.

Like Magnus?

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

dexefiend posted:

I used to see people recommend hand gun and rifle cases for cheap foam cases. I just want to say: Don't do this!

That is what you use if you want people to break into your car and steal your mans.

I used to do this. My car was never broken into.

I stopped because the foam in those cases were warping my models.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

fadam posted:

Is the best way to play eCaine to just take him and a bunch of mercs like Boomhowler And HHFG to gum the board while he goes crazy, or are there better in faction options now? I'm looking at the WiTC lists and the guy who took eCaine took a bunch of Stormblades and i'm not sure why.

Caine2 is still Cygnar's go-to assassin caster. The only difference now is that he has really good support spells that are good for him, but better for other models. I'll also throw out some ideas that I've used and put my opponents on tilt. They're not amazing ideas, but they are quite amusing in my opinion.

If you cast Bullet Dodger on a melee solo, they can really throw a wrench into the works. Something with DEF 13 or higher is an ideal choice. That first attack against them needs to land too, because a miss may get you out of range of the next attacks. Jakes with Bullet Dodger is DEF 17. Jakes with Bullet Dodger next to a jack with Side Kick is DEF 19.

A really bonkers spell is Fire for Effect. Put it on something with a ranged AOE or spray and your opponent will cry sweet, salty tears. I love putting this on Thunderhead and using Pulse. Another fun option is putting it on an Avenger that is Jack Marshalled to the Gun Mage Unit Officer and using Thunderbolt or Critical Brutal.

The last one is Heightened Reflexes. Put this on Trencher Infantry or Commandos and do tough rolls for days.

Oh, and don't forget to bring Ace because flavor bullshit reasons.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

rantmo posted:

Taken from the forums and spoiled just in case (?)

Spd 6, Mat 7, Rat 5, Def 16, Arm 14 Focus 6.

[Field Marshal] Sprint

Sprint

Acrobatics

Parry

Feat: Powerhouse- Friendly Faction models gain Immune to electricity, melee weapons gain rng 2 and electroleap.

Weapons:
x2 Blades: 1 has electro leap, the other disruption (P+s 13 I believe)

x2 Hand Cannons

Spells:
Energizer
Wall of Steel (Now called Bulwark, battle group models gain +2 def and no knockdown while base to base)
Lightning Storm
Positive Charge
Electrify

"I need two guns so that I'm not off balance while murder-parkouring myself around the battlefield."

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

"Comrade... Wh... Why?" -winter guard

The model itself looks hideous. No idea what the gently caress they were doing. I pretty much agree it should have been Malakov suckering a winter guard.

The new Elara model though is pure anime. I can't wait for her to be the biggest disappointment.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

PP really wants Cygnar to play a melee game.

EDIT - I'm a phone posting poo poo lord that doesn't know how to post from google photos/drive

TheInvisiblePooka fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 4, 2016

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

PaintVagrant posted:

Can someone post elaras feat please?

Friendly models in Elara's control range gain ghostly and boundless charge until end of turn.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

Friendly Fire posted:

Maxwell Finn on Jake's Feat is going to be loving hilarious.

My murder boner just gained two inches.

I think Jake's biggest contribution is Positive Charge. That spell is crazy good in Cygnar because it bumps up light jacks into a whole new weight class. Cheap poo poo like Firefly and Lancer are going to be monsters with Jakes.

What's going to be disgusting is two fireflys on the flanks of sword knights during feat turn. POW 12 electro leaps for days!

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I'm starting to think that Khador might be the most mispronounced faction in wargaming history.

I bounce between Kay-door and Kha-door. It's bullshit fantasy language, and I have no time to put sense to it or justify obvious contradictions.

rydiafan posted:

People who pronounce it "Kah-door" infuriate me. There's a pronunciation guide in Prime, drat it. I'm sorry it isn't pronounce the way it would be in Russian, but deal with it.

Do they tell you how to pronounce anything else? I'd like to see how you're supposed to pronounce Scyrah, but nothing in my prime book shows me how to say it

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

rydiafan posted:

I am literally incapable of believing a caster with Positive Charge is bad.

Cygnar sucks in melee and must always be the shooty faction. Any melee caster in Cygnar is absolute trash tier.

/sarcasm

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

xiw posted:

We just switched to 0 15 30 45 60 75 because it's trivial to remember.

What PP should have done for the league, but for some reason decided to make poo poo far more complicated than it had to be.

Insert the final nail in the coffin that is Three Years of Playtesting joke here.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

Fuuuuuck haley2's horseshit feat.

But I guess it's OK since I was smart enough to hols on to malakovs for after she used her, so we both basically had a turn of doing very little to eachother.

Also poison pill really shits on collossals.

Her old feat resulted in playing three turns in a row. The feat turn, the opponent's turn, and then haley2 player's turn again.

The old haley2 feat was very unfun and one of the reasons why I only played her in tourneys, people who specifically requested haley2, or people I didn't like.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012
Is it confirmed that PP going to release more of those new caster models? Or is everyone who missed out (like me) hosed?

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

theironjef posted:

This overly aggressive and sexist language has been removed from MK3. The new tagline is PLAY LIKE YOU HAVE SINGLE PAYER HEALTHCARE.

The only insurance you need is dice insurance.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012
Yesterday, I took third at a local steamroller tourney between two local gaming clubs. It was a good day. The steamroller had 12 people between two local gaming clubs. The only three factions not being represented were Convergence, Minions, and Trolls (one of my buddies was playing Ret and admitted that he would have brought Convergence just to have the variety). We had 3x Retribution Players, 2x Circle Players, 2x Cryx Players, 2x Cygnar Players, 1x Khador Player, 1x Legion Player, and 1x Rhulic Merc Player.

Major Beth Maddox - WJ: +30
- Sylys Wyshnalyrr, The Seeker - PC: 4
- Stormclad - PC: 18 (Battlegroup Points Used: 18)
- Stormclad - PC: 18 (Battlegroup Points Used: 12)

Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 4
- Firefly - PC: 8
Stormblade Captain - PC: 5
Major Katherine Laddermore - PC: 8

Storm Lances - Leader & 4 Grunts: 20
Storm Lances - Leader & 4 Grunts: 20

Steamroller Objective - Effigy of Valor

My strategy of the list was pretty much "Make Storm Lances ARM 20, and then assault for days!" Laddermore ended up being MVP on the list because she could turn those Lances into monsters on the range attack. I never got to live the dream of Feat + Lances + Laddermore + Firefly, but another day. I really liked how this list could just shoot half way up the board turn one and really tilt my opponent on how aggressive I could play. It also helps that having 10 ARM 20 units with DEF 13 are stupidly hard to kill.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

GoodBee posted:

I'd say brand new players who really want to play Mercs should pick up the Cygnar box.

I disagree with this statement, even with my pro Cygnar bias.

If you think mercs look cool and good, you should definitely play mercs. Mercs in Mk.3 are at the point where you don't need to buy into another faction to make them good.

Hell, mercs got their own gun mages now, so what more do you want?

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

GoodBee posted:

I want all the Gun Mages.

Cryx won't play nice with Cygnar, so I hot some bad news for you...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

Wizard Styles posted:

(Melee) cavalry is just very strong in general imo. Even the Destors were okay when I proxied them. Not quite good enough to really consider buying them, and they look like poo poo next to Storm Lances, but not as worthless as I first thought when I looked at their stupid rules.

I mean, all of the cavalry is going to look like poo poo when compared to the best cavalry in the game. Can say that about anything in warmahordes.

Saalkin posted:

*throws bane riders in the garbage*

Make a video where you light them in fire to Viking Metal. Do eet.