Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I finally got the game on tuesday, though I still don't have that damned watch. I proceeded to marathon it. I just finished right now.

There are no questions to ask because they have all been answered. I have 100 percented the game and seen all the scenes.

What now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Wait WAAAIITT

There wasn't an epilogue for Sigma, Diana and Phi! What happens to THEM? Do Sigma and Diana still get together? Do they start treating Phi as a daughter?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Oh right. This IS the spoiler thread, isn't it?

The thing about Delta that's really irksome... is that's he's totally right. He may have murdered countless versions of people, caused them an immeasurable amount of suffering... but he ended up being totally right. I mean, not in his methods, obviously. There is some really sick poo poo he did and sometimes he just killed people because. Like the whole "shooting everybody except for Diana" in the Mom ending. Why? Why did he do that? Why kill Dad but not Mom? They both had zero amount of involvement in raising him.

In any case, Delta is both wrong and right at the same time. A sick, twisted bastard who is somewhat justified in what he does. I was always kind of a "the end doesn't justify the means" kinda girl, but in this case, I'm not completely against it like I should be. And can we really judge him? It was immensely important that that version of people survive, given that they know everything, making them more valuable than a set that doesn't. They still ended up killing a set of innocent people that only won a coin toss. If they didn't, they would have died, but they ended up stealing what could've been a bright future from a set of themselves that did nothing wrong. Life really IS unfair, isn't it? Although, you could argue that the set that didn't experience any of this wouldn't have had a bright future anyway, given that humanity would be killed off by nuclear war if nothing changed.

See this poo poo? I'm justifying murdering a bunch of innocent people. This is why Delta is a huge rear end.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Entenzahn posted:

If every decision that's ever being made by anyone ever across the entire universe creates a new timeline, then there was already going to be a near infinite number of timelines where the nuclear terrorist is dead or under arrest or has never existed in the first place because Fanz Ferdinand wasn't assassinated, and World War I hasn't happened until 1942, at which point it wiped out 90% of the Western European population at the hands of Russian Imperial gas bomber squadrons. If anything, Delta's game has created even more timelines where the nuclear attack suceeded, thus whiping out humanity multiple times over for the sole purpose of creating a single timeline where he could be born. Delta is a selfish rear end in a top hat and/or the plot is dumb.

If they can SHIFT through time and space why don't they shift to a point before their abduction and prevent everything from happening now that they know who Zero is.

Maybe there's a limit to how different the timeline you can shift to can be.

I'm really glad not to talk about the time paradoxes.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Lord Ephraim posted:

Was there really any significance for Delta/Zero to kill Gab? I mean come on. It's like they decided "you know who hasn't died so far in the game? The dog. We need to fix that."

He's an rear end in a top hat. I'm pretty sure that's why. If Delta was my kid, I'm not sure I'd invite him to Thanksgiving.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

A minor question in the scheme of things. That Fanatic R whatever virus never actually existed, did it?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

The Gentlemieu posted:

Also, I choose to believe there is a timeline where Sigma, Diana and the kids get rescued by alt. Carlos and everyone lives happily ever after. I guess the True end version of Akane could go back and get a rescue on after 10 months...

That would be a lot better than thinking that all four of them slowly starved to death. Five if you included Gab.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

It's hard to blame Delta for feeling contempt for his parents who, in trying to send their kids to a safe place to grow up, sent them to loving Germany a decade before the start of World War I

But that alien number system is REALLY confusing!

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

So, what the gently caress is up with Delta's eyes? Why are they glowing purple? And how is he so old yet in such good shape? Also, why did the people in 1904 only send Phi? If you're going to be 3D printing mysterious babies into the future, why not do both? Did they just not think of that? Did they just do it with Phi since she was a girl and less valuable?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

I presume they were raised separately. Otherwise Delta must have known Phi was his sister way before DCOM.

I don't know. If I found two mysterious babies named after Greek letters, I would assume they were siblings and would try to raise them together. Then again, I am not from 1904. I guess they just pawned off the babies where they could, not caring if they got to be together or not. I mean, after all, they are babies.

At this point though, I'm really kind of concerned more about Delta's age, combined with good health and freakish glowing purple eyes. Does his mind hack ability make his eyes glow just like how being a SHIFTer makes you turn into blue light?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I got that Sean wasn't exactly a normal boy wearing a helmet when he picked up the Force Quit box and shook it like it was nothing when Sigma could barely move it.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

On a similar note: Up until the end when the reveal of Delta and such, I was really starting to think that Eric was going to be Brother. All the talk of his little brother and his backstory about his abusive dad and just how hosed up he is in most of the timelines, y'know?

Honestly I'd really rather that had been the case, cuz the way the whole Brother plotline was closed up in this game really bugs me. I don't like taking "misanthropic cult leader able to influence thousands of people" became "Chaotic Neutral Super-Psychic".

Also on the subject of Brother, I especially appreciate how Left, a character with significant role in the whole FtS plotline, was basically minimized to barely anything in this game. Really it's just the same above-mentioned bitterness over Free the Soul being changed from a misanthropic cult to just a bunch of hooey Delta made up to keep the timelines correct for the Decision Game.

Don't get me wrong I liked the game and think it's a pretty satisfactory ending to the trilogy but there's a number of ways in which i find it falling flat

I thought Sean was somehow Chris, Eric's brother, that had been revived and experimented on. After all, Eric said his brother would have been around the same age as Sean and given that Sean's helmet had a password lock and how terrible Eric was treating him, I thought at some point, Sean would take off his helmet and reveal the face of Eric's poor dead bro.

Regarding Delta and Free the Soul, I don't think his cult was totally bullshit to him. He didn't reveal all of his motives for this whole thing either. Remember when Delta as Zero told Akane to come, wear cult robes and perform a ceremony after she escaped the shelter? What was that all about? Was it just a lark? Something humiliating for him to force her to do given that she hates his guts? Clearly, the way he treated and talked about people shows that he really did hate humanity and like I said before, I don't really think he tried that hard to come up with alternate solutions to solving the whole terrorist nuclear apocalypse with Radical-6. I dunno. I do agree with you that something is left unexplained here and I do wish they did more stuff with Delta's role in Free the Soul.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Sadly, I think you may be right. I have a feeling they wanted to make it as big as VLR was with things like gold files and secrets but the logistics just didn't allow for it. Hell, they wanted this game to be made much earlier but were delayed in doing so. I think there was a rush to get something out just in case they get their project and budget snatched away again. Not saying this was slapped together though. They wrapped things up a lot neater than many other projects. It just makes me sad when people can't fulfill the entirety of their artistic vision due to practicalities.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Man, I just keep coming up with more questions. Remember Junpei's dismembered body? Did anybody notice that he was wearing a beige jumpsuit? Why? I mean, I guess they COULD'VE dressed up Junpei in a suit while he was asleep so when Mira came around to dismember him, Zero could use the parts in the Pantry puzzle room without immediately causing suspicion that "hey, this severed torso is wearing a black t-shirt and Junpei is wearing a black t-shirt and is also missing omg I think this is Junpei" among C-team. Then they get the shock of opening the freezer and surprise, Junpei's head.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

MegaZeroX posted:

Credit to reddit user Chairus_Awesomus for this

I've been poking around the subreddit and it seems that some people are unhappy about the ending? Since you seem to be active there, could you summarize the main problems people are having with the ending? The only problem I have with it is that Delta's plans and actions don't exactly make complete sense but I'm willing to hand wave that away by saying Delta is an rear end in a top hat who likes people to suffer.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Danaru posted:

I mean it seems pretty clear that Uchikoshi wants to do a fourth game if he can, the entire ending felt like a sequel hook much like VLR's did.

Hopefully Chunsoft is willing to let him, considering they're porting everything to PC they seem to have some hope at least

You're exaggerating a bit. VLR's ending was literally "Tune in next time when we find out if Sigma and Phi succeeded! You won't want to miss this!" whereas ZTD was more like "There's a terrorist that will cause a nuclear holocaust in the future and the team is fired up about finding them. Wouldn't it be neat if we made a sequel that follows that?" The first one is compulsory if you want the complete story and the second is more of a suggestion or an idea. VLR was a non-ending while ZTD was an ending with a hook with sequel bait.

Mainly, my problem with the ending is the skimpy epilogues. You get a handful of files following some characters but I would've really liked some art. Some stills of Mira in orange, Akane in a wedding dress, maybe Carlos' sister. Don't leave it up to fans to make fanart for that.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

MegaZeroX posted:

The main problem the subreddit generally has is that it drops stuff from VLR, like ?/Kyle, the fact that Delta was Brother, and the entire plan Delta made. So basically what Cake Attack said.

I wouldn't really care about Kyle as he comes off as a redundancy to me anyway but I guess Uchikoshi promised he would expand on that and he didn't.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I was really disappointed in how little Free the Soul, Brother and Left played into anything. Delta feels like a completely different character than the one we hear bits and pieces about in VLR, Free the Soul might as well not exist given that the plot seems to entirely be Delta's doing alone, and it's ridiculous to me that even though Left was such a driving force behind Brother's actions to the point that he cloned him, Delta doesn't even mention his beloved brother once in the entire game. The lack of mystery around Radical 6 was also really disappointing given how central it was to VLR. Everyone assumed it would have a huge focus in the third game, and we'd learn how and why it came into being, how people in the shelter got contaminated by it, and how Sigma and the others would eventually prevent it from spreading outside of the shelter. Instead it's just a vial in one room that Zero tells Q Team to inject themselves with and that's it, a mcguffin that only shows up long enough to tie into VLR's timeline. The entire point of VLR was to awaken the shifting abilities in Sigma and Phi, but then they basically do nothing for the entire plot and weren't necessary at all. Also the whole thing with Kyle and ? who were supposed to be important parts of the plot.

I did enjoy Zero Time Dilemma but it doesn't feel like the logical follow-up to VLR at all.

Yeah, you would think that Delta would have introduced more Radical-6 around if that was his main plan but it was only introduced in a small fraction of the timelines. In the others, he seems content in just tormenting people and allowing the history where unknown terrorist is permitted to carry out his plans. Which implies heavily that saving as many people in as many timelines as he can is not a goal of his.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I'm not completely satisfied since the ending is quite abrupt and flat but Zero's actions can be adequately handwaved away by saying he is a huge rear end in a top hat and I'm pretty sure one of his "complex motives" is that he's doing it for shits and giggles. He's the leader of a powerful cult and has loads of money. I mean, why not? "Not being a terrible murderous rear end in a top hat" doesn't seem to be one of his objectives.

Maybe I'm just easily placated or something. I'm just kind of thrilled it exists and that there's a happyish ending.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

alcharagia posted:

So here's my problem with ZTD's ending: I don't know what it's trying to say. I don't understand where on the sympathy scale Delta is supposed to be taken as a whole, I don't understand what is up with the moral dilemma with SHIFTing which wasn't resolved at all, obviously it has no closure for Team D which is bullshit, and the whole LET'S GO BACK AND STOP MIRA IN ANOTHER TIMELINE is just baffling. VLR's ending was bleak but with bits of happiness, but what even is ZTD's ending?

The problem with the moral dilemma of SHIFTing is that I really don't think it can be solved at all. If you're in a situation where you're a SHIFTer and you're about to die, you can either just die or swap consciousness with another you who proceeds to die instead of you. To avoid dying, you have to drat another version to your fate. If you refuse to do that, yeah, you are the moral superior but you end up dead. It cannot be solved, it can only be rationalized and is fuel for Delta to make us feel bad.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

"My motives are complex" = "gently caress you, I don't have to explain anything"

One of the many reasons Delta is an rear end in a top hat.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Momomo posted:

And by "I don't have to explain everything" you mean "I will now explain everything" right? There's nothing about his motives that we do not know by the end of the game, all he was saying is that he has more than one reason for doing it.

You thought he was totally forthcoming with his motives? You don't think he was holding anything back at all? I mean, I GUESS the motives of ensuring his birth, inspiring a group of people to find a terrorist and infecting the world with a virus that would likely kill off the terrorist with 75% percent of humanity, I GUESS those motives are enough. But I kind of doubt it. I still think he's hiding a shitload of stuff from us and I'm pretty sure "torturing people" is secretly one of the reasons he did this.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

It really does feel like it has less puzzles, doesn't it? I checked and it seems that it has fewer puzzle rooms than VLR and although we saw the Quantum Computer room as a location, we didn't actually have it as a puzzle room, even though it felt like it should've been.

And since we are talking about general complaints, although as a whole it was much more violent, they still self censored by not actually letting you see Sigma's head blown off or Carlos's head smashed in with a fire extinguisher.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Arrrthritis posted:

donno is an acceptable answer for "who killed mira"

That got me for awhile. I tried everything. I even said that his dead brother Chris did it. Turns out, you're SUPPOSED to not answer at all! Eric is a goddamned moron anyway. At this point, he doesn't know that Sean is really a robot so a normal person would think that a child would be too weak to strangle an adult woman. Not Eric. It HAS to be the mild mannered child he keeps freaking out on and attacking.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Ventana posted:

These things are probably the things that bug me the most with the game, despite dropping the things like ? and Kyle. It felt like the whole point of VLR was that you were training up Sigma and Phi to go on this ultra important mission, but it ended up feeling like they didn't do very much at all.

Sigma was important because he had to bang Diana. Phi was there to..... be incinerated?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

the truth posted:

I have to say that after avoiding any fan chat that perseverates on the negatives, I still have a positive opinion of ZTD and the trilogy as a whole. The Delta twist was the worst of the trilogy, but there were some great moments and did as much as possible with what must have been a very limited budget.

Hope we get some more Q&A aside from the Twitter stuff.

I just have a feeling that it was the budget/deadline that might've hosed things up. You put ZTD up against VLR and it really becomes apparent. Fewer rooms, less dialogue in the rooms, no alternate solutions, no gold files, less crazy pseudo-science. I mean, some people thought that VLR was too long winded but I was the one of the ones who really enjoyed that poo poo. Please tell me ALL about the ship of Theseus even though it has no bearing on anything whatsoever, please. I'm not being sarcastic. I ate that up.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Oh man, I'm worried since I preordered the special watch edition on Amazon but the order was put down as Delivered when I got the game itself. I'm just worried that since it was put down as Delivered that it will somehow make the database think that my order was actually complete and I won't get the watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Got my watch. The display case wasn't smashed to poo poo like some other people's and the watch isn't damaged EXCEPT for a tiny extra scratch on the front that isn't one of the intentional ones. I still like it.

• Locked thread