Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So for those who are still confused as to how everything ties together, Wikipedia actually has a pretty good summary. This also nicely ties up the rough timeline.

In addition, apparently someone worked out that Zero Time Dilemma can be unscrambled to 'Me, I'm Zero. I'm Delta.'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Sean has shifting abilities.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Sean can't be mind hacked, so it's just a weird quirk.

And no, K/? was never brought up, which a lot of people seem unhappy about.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So what happened to Sigma's 22 year old mind in the successful timeline? Considering the whole reason it was displaced was to send it to the VLR future... which no longer exists. Did Sigma just permanently lose 45 years of his mental life?

Also just bringing back up this bit from VLR:

quote:

What about your father?

Don't have one.
I guess you could say I was a bastard.
I never saw his face, and I don't know his name.
I don't even know if he's alive.

O-Oh...

I couldn't think of anything else to say, so I just handed back the brooch.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Why else would they freeze Phi other than knowing she was patient zero for Radical 6 and thus already had the disease? I find it hard to believe Akane the timelord does not know this, seeing as she knew to gas Sigma before the Mars test site to set everything in motion.

She might know that Phi needed to be frozen to preserve the timeline, but that might be it. Kind of like how the only reason Lotus was in 999 was because Akane foresaw she had to be there (and I guess to tell Junpei what prosopagnosia is).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
More numbers trivia:

Delta is the 4th letter of the Greek alphabet, Sigma is 18th, and Phi is 21st. If you add those numbers to Junpei and Akane's supposed bracelet numbers from 999,

4 + 18 + 21 + 5 + 6 = 54

Digital root of 9. Don't think it was planned that way but it's a funny coincidence.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's funny to think that Sigma, Diana, the babies and Gab all starved because they didn't know about the actual pantry of food next to them.

By funny I mean christ

I imagine that they probably found it but the supply would have run out eventually. Otherwise Diana wouldn't even have made it the nine months to carry the twins to term.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Danganronpa is a solid series but it's not quite the same genre as the Zero Escape series. It's very linear and isn't quite as complex. I mean if you like puzzle/murder mystery solving it's a good choice, but if you want a game to confuse you with how the plot is interwoven or with quantum mechanics you'd be looking in the wrong place.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Is there some kind of running tally for each character's direct kill count by the end of the game? I mean Eric/Mira are probably on top, Phi/Sigma are relatively bloodless, and Team C kill each other every other jump.

I think in my mind the rough leaderboard is:

1. Mira
2. Eric
3. Carlos
4. Akane
5. Diana
6. Sean
7. Junpei
8. Sigma
9. Phi
10. Delta

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jul 5, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

voltcatfish posted:

The final choice of Zero Escape being the moral dilemma of swapping places with alternate timeline versions of yourself to save your own rear end is simply ridiculous.

Especially because you did it all the time in VLR and nobody cared.

To be fair, Sigma and Phi didn't know they were SHIFTing til near the end of the game. The few times that they are, they aren't really fully aware of the ramifications of their actions, since nobody's around to explain it to them.

The only people that actually knew what was going on were Tenmyouji, Old Sigma and Akane. Tenmyouji's forgotten most of the events at DCOM, and Old Sigma and Akane had to preserve the timeline.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Momomo posted:

SHIFTing in general seems different from how it was in the other two games. In 999 it didn't even seem like Junpei had the ability at all, it was his link with Akane (who could do it herself) that gave him knowledge he shouldn't know. In VLR it felt more like it was the Sigma of each timeline gaining the knowledge of other Sigmas (so instead of Rich M or Poor M, it was Rich M + Poor M) until they dropped that ridiculous 45 year plan on him.

You could use the argument that Carlos/Akane are stronger SHIFTers than Sigma/Phi; there are several times in VLR where Sigma gains knowledge without being aware of how he's gotten it. Whereas in Team C they're just bunnyhopping timelines to gain knowledge.

Sigma also rarely consciously jumps, the only time he does so in VLR is towards the end of the Phi route.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The more I think about it the more annoyed I am at how innocent and generic Akane was. Didn't her official bio in the pre-release stuff even talk about how its mostly an act and her true self is different? It didn't show at all here unless you count her going insane and killing Carlos in a couple scenes.

Well, this was the first time we see her completely out of her element. In 999 she had foreseen everything and it was all an act. In VLR she's either dead or again, had foreseen everything and was just acting as K. Here she has no idea what's going on.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I like how they more or less dropped the whole 'Espers could be nullifying my powers!' handwave they did with Clover in VLR. Team C had no trouble at all.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm actually surprised Alice is so low on that chart.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Mira's more of a threat to D team though. C team did just fine killing each other by themselves.

Though I guess her death makes Eric the piranha.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Shear Modulus posted:

I'm down on the game as a whole but I actually liked the bouncing-around-out-of-sequence structure of the plot. While, as the above poster said, you do miss out on the cascading clusterfucks that arose in the first two games' structure, it gave its own new sense of mystery and disorientation.

Although none of the characters must have seen Memento because in their situation I'd think the rational thing to do would be to start carving notes into your arm whenever something important happened.

Well apparently Clover did if we go by VLR then!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
And then Diana's journey in the VLR timeline:

-Get abused by husband
-Divorce him
-Endure harassment from him
-Go to DCOM, suffer through ZTD
-End up causing a pandemic that kills 6 billion people
-Four months later, finds a young Sigma that has probably no idea who she is
-Follow him to the moon and fall in love, only to die after three years

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Tired Moritz posted:

so she knows two Sigmas? what?

In the VLR timeline, young Sigma is knocked out a few days before Christmas, goes through VLR, then comes back to his body months after the DCOM incident. He hasn't met Diana at all at that point, but 45 years later he would go back in time to just after he got knocked out, and goes through DCOM. At that point he's already met Diana on the moon and seen her die after falling in love with her there.

Diana probably followed Sigma to the moon despite him having no idea who she is at that stage of his life.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If you go back and play the decision again after the first rig, does it go back to being a 50/50 chance?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lareine posted:

So, what the gently caress is up with Delta's eyes? Why are they glowing purple? And how is he so old yet in such good shape? Also, why did the people in 1904 only send Phi? If you're going to be 3D printing mysterious babies into the future, why not do both? Did they just not think of that? Did they just do it with Phi since she was a girl and less valuable?

I presume they were raised separately. Otherwise Delta must have known Phi was his sister way before DCOM.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'd be more befuddled as to how Phi and Delta kept their names after being sent back in time. It's not like they had name tags on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Sigma's timeline is basically:

-Gets knocked out a few days before Christmas
-Gets SHIFTed to VLR, goes through it
-Gets forced back to a few months after radical-6 escapes
-Goes to the moon for 45 years to develop the AB project with Akane, meeting Diana and producing Luna, Zero III and Kyle along the way
-Invite Tenmyouji and Quark up to the moon, presumably knocks them out
-Sets up the AB game, puts the knocked out Alice/Clover/Phi/Tenmyouji/Quark into the rooms along with Luna and the K armour, then lets Dio infiltrate the facility while he enters the elevator with the passed out Phi
-Waits for his 22 year old self to SHIFT into his body as he goes back to right before Christmas
-Goes through ZTD

• Locked thread