Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I didn't know there was a spoiler thread! I wish I started posting in here earlier.

As an aside, I have been collecting a list of all the hints to Q's actual identity on reddit, and I thought I'd post what I've collected so far here.

quote:

1) Literal shadows from Delta in most Q team scenes (here are the shadows from Pop-off, for example).

2) "The old man in the wheel chair" dialogue

3) If you try to select "Q" in the "who to shoot" scene, it will say to select Q's real name. If you input "Sean," it will give an error. If you choose "me" or "myself," the game will say "you cannot commit suicide." - Credit for expanding this goes to overchargext (reddit)

4) If you say that "Q" killed Mira, Eirc will say "that's impossible!," and if you select "Sean," or "me," he'll say "I knew it was you!" - Credit for expanding this goes to Ro9ge (reddit)

5) "The truth is invisible" anagram

6) The parasite discussion

7) Carlos/Diana not knowing why they pressed the decontamination button, or the bad execution choice (mindhacking). Sean never claimed he didn't do it, as he can't be mindhacked.

8) The anagram about the 10 that Akane finds

9) The scene after the radical 6 is chosen to not be injected where Eric talks to Gab and calls him "Old man," he is actually talking to Delta. Both Eric and Mira are looking to the screen (to Delta), and Sean asks if they could speak. - Credit goes to untuned (Something Awful), and to Ro9ge (reddit) for elaborating.

10) Q never has a portrait in the status screen, but there is one of Sean inside the Study - Credit goes to YoshiOfYellow (Something Awful)

11) "Even Q ... he couldn't see or hear when" (when talking about Q team execution) - Credit goes to voltcatfish (Something Awful)

12) Sean in Pop-off says "you are all really important to me" rather than "you both are really important to me," despite the fact he only knows Q team.

13) When Akane/June transport to the VLR timeline, Zero reveals that he has a little sister

14) When Zero tells Sean about the "old man" who visited him.

15) Eric says "I know the leader's supposed to decide who to vote for but...", because Delta is believed to be blind and deaf - Credit goes to Ro9ge (reddit)

16) Eric is suspicious of Sean because he isn't on the X-passes - Credit goes to Ro9ge (reddit)

17) If you try to shoot Mira, she will shoot twice before the X-pass notification comes on, because she also shoots Delta - Credit goes to Ro9ge (reddit)

18) Despite the fact that Carlos seems to know Q, he doesn't recognize the robot that looks like Sean - Credit goes to zatchel1 (reddit)

19) Towards the end of the C-team ending, when listening to the recording of Zero, Zero specifically says that he's dead in this timeline. This is also the timeline in which all of Q-team dies. - Credit goes to Ro9ge (reddit)

20) After Phi and Delta and delta are born, the status screen shows Q and Phi alive. Status before birth and status after birth - Credit goes to YouWithTheFace (reddit)

21) Decision game starts with "deci," which means ten - Credit goes to ultramario1998 (reddit)

22) When Sean decides to stay behind after pressing the Decontamination button, he is staying behind for Q, and it becomes clear with close examination that Gab is chained to the wheelchair, and Q is the one staying behind. Sean is looking at the Camera (at Delta) when he says that he stayed behind because of him. And when they try to unchain Q, they are always trying to get it off the pole, and not off Gab's paw. - Credit goes to Ro0ge.(reddit)

23) In the ending of the VLR timeline, Sigma asks "a child?" When he sees Sean's corpse, despite the previous indications that he knew Q was handicapped in another scene. Q doesn't show up as dead in the status screen. - Credit goes to Thisisalsomypass (reddit)

24) Generally, throughout C and D team fragments, they indicate they know Q at least somewhat, despite the fact that if you win the coin toss, it is revealed that no one seems to know Sean. - Credit goes to Ro9ge (reddit)

25) During "You are Zero," if you choose the identity of Zero wrongly, after Sean is dead, Eric shoots 3 more times despite the fact that only Diana and Sigma are left, and Gab is revealed to not have been shot. - Credit goes to RenegadeReaper (reddit)

26) When Q team is drinking at the bar before the vote, there is a glass to the right of Sean, and since Eric and Mira already had drinks, and Sean can't drink, it must have been for Q. - Credit goes to blankemp (reddit)

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I'm a monster.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

NRVNQSR posted:

A few of these, like #13, are really hints that Zero is Delta rather than hints that Q is not Sean, which are two very different mysteries. Certainly when I got to "Who is Zero?" I knew full well that Zero was Delta, but I had no idea Delta was Q; in fact I was almost certain that Delta was Eric and that he had messed with his own memories to provide a cover story.

I was combining both of them. Basically, these were supposed to be clues that Delta = Zero = Q

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Uchikoshi also said Dio would be ZTD (although "not as we know him") but I guess that went nowhere either. That kind of makes it sound like maybe Delta was supposed to be Left or something at some point?

I'm thinking that maybe Sean is Left, and after Delta died Free the Soul started to think Sean was his brother or something and cloned the hell out of him.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Here is something interesting. In the logo, there is a 4 in the place for 6.

Delta is the 4th letter in the Greek alphabet, and 4 + 6 = 10, the number of participants.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

exploding mummy posted:

that's, uh an upside roman numeral 6.

No, because the V is still pointing the correct way. Look a little closer. The line to the left is a cracky, and there is a faded line of the actual V.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

So, apparently, after the "Don't shoot" path in triangle, the X-pass isn't announced on screen, but when Eric and Mira leave it can be seen in the background. Q has the X-pass BRO.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

1. Since he's acting as deaf and blind one of the other team members would have to wheel him around with them. They hid any evidence of the guy in the wheelchair being pushed around when they move from room to room. They could have written around this by making Q team immobile, so there wouldn't be any pushing to hide, but nope.

They don't necessarily had to have pushed him. I mean, they were knocked out every 90 minutes and awoke in a different room. This would have included Q (in their eyes at least). Also, in all teams, it didn't show them actually moving anywhere most of the time. This is contrasted with VLR (you see on the map them walking around EVERYWHERE). Usually, the pattern would be: wake up in strange room, find a way out, then snap to back in the lounge talking. It is consistent with C and D team. If they had a super secret 4th member like that, we wouldn't have known either.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are there any scenes besides the one where Gab is chained to Q's wheelchair that they even acknowledge the guy at all? I rewatched it and a big wall prevents you from ever seeing anything more than the shadow of the wheelchair, but aside from that I can't think of anything.

Delta's existence also makes the standoff in the library retarded. They knew Sean was not technically part of the team, considering he didn't have an X pass, why would Mira and Eric not both immediately just off the old man in the room to get out instead of shooting a literal child.

I think that's probably one of the biggest problems I have with Eric, I understand he's unstable but the fact that he constantly is accusing what looks like a 10 year old kid of all this poo poo was always really hard to accept. Especially regarding Mira, how the gently caress would a 3 foot tall kid strangle a full grown woman to death?

I made a reddit thread where we went to find clues.

Also, someone just found this:

:psyduck:

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Yeah, in the games I've played, there's always an in-universe reason for the twist: Ever17's plot revolves around tricking the player to get a desired outcome, VLR is much the same because the plot would derail if Sigma knew who/when he was from the get go, and 999 is kinda fudgy but Akane appears to be narrating directly to the player. ZTD, Delta is... blocking the surveillance cameras in a very specific way so he doesn't ever see himself? What? Why? Why does does Delta care if he can see himself in the footage or not? It's literally a twist for twists sake.

But I think the far more pressing plot hole is... why are Delta and Gab chained up in the ending where Q Team melts the other teams, literally the only time in the entire game this happens? Did he chain him and the dog up himself? Why, so Mira has on opportunity to yammer on about the Sleeping Beauty problem for a bit? So Sean won't try to leave and shut down the moment he steps outside the facility? Sure wouldn't stop that in the Crossbow Ending!

I mean, VLR doesn't have an in universe explanation for why the screenshots of Sigma are all off. Not showing Signma is entirely for twists sake. There is also no way to even begin guessing the twist.

I'd imagine Delta and Gab are tied up, as Delta doesn't want to have leave with everyone. He doesn't want to be lonely, so he keeps Gab.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

sockpuppetclock posted:

...So now that ZE is done.. I've been thinking of playing the Infinity series. The first one is Never7, right?

I've heard that you should skip Never 7 and go into Ever 17. You shouldn't play Remember 11 before Ever 17. I've never played Never 7, but I've played the rest.

Cake Attack posted:

just play Ever17, it's the best one and even it's not great

Remember 11 is my favorite, despite the biggest issue with it.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 3, 2016

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Momomo posted:

So I just fnished the game. I didn't... miss a scene that established Delta was there the whole time, right? The first time I saw any mention of him being there was when I chose him in the Mexican standoff. Then I had to tell Eric who Zero actually was and that showed him for real.

There is a long post about this topic on reddit.

Momomo posted:

edit: Also at one point Zero left a recording saying he was killed by Carlos in that timeline, but when did that happen?

He chose to execute Q team instead of D team liked planned in that timeline.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

So apparently the images on the slot machines relate to the 999 characters.

Edit:

OK, I just found out that Fanatic Bio R is an anagram for fabrication. Since that is supposed to be the part of the analogy that refers to the entire terrorist plot, it may be that the entire plot was a lie, and Delta was really just out to make sure he existed and for the lulz.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 8, 2016

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Well that and Fanatic Bio R has a 100% death rate compared to Radical-6 and it's a religious fanatic which causes the extinction of the human race.

What I'm saying is that perhaps the religious fanatic is a fabrication. Meaning, since Fanatic Bio R was a analogy for the religious fanatic, perhaps there is no fanatic who will destroy the world.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Terper posted:

I just want a sequel where Carlos uses the transporter to go back in time to kill Hitler, but when he arrives, someone calling himself "Negative One" traps him in a Game together with Hitler, Truman, Mussolini, Tojo, Stalin, Churchill, de Gaulle, and Władysław

:allears: This sounds beautiful. Someone better right a bad fanfiction about it.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

dyzzy posted:

Nein Nein Nein

You don't understand what joy this brought me.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

dmboogie posted:

I don't think anyone's surprised by the outcome of this.

Source.

And here I thought that Dio didn't give a gently caress!

(please don't hurt me for my bad pun)

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

U-DO Burger posted:

I'm still confused as to how a 124 year-old man managed to overpower a grown woman in her, what, late 20s, early 30s?

He isn't really 124. Uchikoshi said he is still alive in VLR, so it is implied that he used the transporter. I'm guessing when he was like 50 or something he used the transporter to go to the mid 2020s or something.

This is a pretty late response, but whatever.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Thuryl posted:

The puzzle room I was stuck on for the longest was the Bio-Lab, just because it took me forever to click in the right place to find the drat centrifuge manual even after checking a guide and knowing where I was supposed to look for it.

Yeah that room was awful. I never though to put the plate into the radiator to reveal the message (there was no hint to do that) and I still don't understand what you were supposed to do with the animal vial things. I just brute forced it.

On the other hand, the transporter room puzzle was awesome (and the first puzzle I did). I love math and other bases.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

monty hall has the real odds, dice roll is scripted at three tries, coin flip always wins your first time

And I thought that I was actually lucky getting it correct first try. :(

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

If you go back and play the decision again after the first rig, does it go back to being a 50/50 chance?

No, then it is locked into the original thing. So if you chose red first, red is always the winning toss.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

This is ... complex.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/Uchikoshi_Eng/status/753874556150878208
https://twitter.com/Uchikoshi_Eng/status/753875441543327744

So, Uchikoshi tweeted about a reddit thread I made to find clues forshadowing Q's identity, and said that the stuff posted was mostly right. :aaaaa:

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 16, 2016

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Yes. And almost choked on a biscuit I was eating. It was painful.

Edit: Also, I forgot that you can embed twitter posts now. I'll update my original post.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 16, 2016

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

reading that thread and I love seeing all the things people are pointing out that I completely loving missed. This one's my current favorite:

:stare:

I think the significance of Q is simply different in every game. In 999, it is a reference to "kyuu" or "九" (got to show off my IME skills :smug:).

In VLR, it is the 16th room, and Q is the 16ith letter (meaning A is the 0ith, which is how programmers generally count).

In ZTD dilemma, the significance is the an upside down lower case delta looks like a Q.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Credit to reddit user Chairus_Awesomus for this

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Lareine posted:

I've been poking around the subreddit and it seems that some people are unhappy about the ending? Since you seem to be active there, could you summarize the main problems people are having with the ending? The only problem I have with it is that Delta's plans and actions don't exactly make complete sense but I'm willing to hand wave that away by saying Delta is an rear end in a top hat who likes people to suffer.

The main problem the subreddit generally has is that it drops stuff from VLR, like ?/Kyle, the fact that Delta was Brother, and the entire plan Delta made. So basically what Cake Attack said.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

13/f/cali posted:

I may not be remembering perfectly but the alien card with a value of 0 also resembles a lowercase delta turned 90 degrees.

Eh, not really. You can see it in this video at 7:49 on the bottom right. It is definately a wind symbol, and has a portion that definitely prevents it from being a rotated Delta or Q symbol. Though, if I remember correctly, it was on Zero's study's final safe, so if the symbol has some other importance, it would be interesting.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 16, 2016

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Paul Zuvella posted:

Seeing as ZTD sold like 14 copies, I wouldn't hold my breath.

As far as I'm aware, the only system we have statistics for was the Japanese version of ZTD, which sold 9,000 in the first week on 3DS and Vita. That is about as well as VLR did. The game was made with the intention to sell in the West.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

http://steamspy.com/app/311240

Not super accurate due to needing visible profiles, etc etc, but it's some insight at least.

It looks like the Crusader Kings 2 page is gone (because Paradox asked them to remove it), but when it was up, they had it at around 600,000 units sold before it was taken down (or less, even, as my memory is pretty fuzzy), when Paradox themselves said they sold 3,000,000 (2 years ago). If it is off by the same factor here, it sold like 70,000 units on Steam. This is really good, considering there are also the 3DS and Vita versions to consider, and the fact that VNs are usually considered very successful upon crossing 100,000.

Edit: This is all wrong, and I'm an idiot. Read the next page to find out more!

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 18, 2016

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

I don't think steam spy is that accurate but I also don't think ZTD did 70k on one of the three platforms it released on.

It fits pretty well with my own internal algorithm based upon Steam reviews as well. For the first 500, if it is possible for it to get to overwhelming positive, it usually takes about 30,000 people to reach it. After that, usually, 1 in 300 people review it on steam. I got 63,000 using this. This algorithm has worked as a ballpark estimate for me with most releases where they don't have a Steam review achievement. At any rate, 611 steam reviews indicates a lot more than 14,000.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Don't trust this. Read the next page to find out more.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 18, 2016

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Paul Zuvella posted:

Please tell me more about how you can tell sales of a thing by how many people review it.

Linguica posted:

So you think it sold 5 times as many copies as steamspy says, because of your personal belief that ALL games have sold 5 times as many copies as steamspy says, for Reasons.

Or maybe the audience for Zero Time Dilemma skews a lot nerdier / Steam review-ier than your average game.

I recognize the algorithm it is a pretty bad approximation, obviously it varies by how passionate players are and all. However, I'd say it is at least as accurate as Steamspy. Steamspy seems generally worthless in it's estimations, as it is often underestimated by nearly a magnitude (look at other games where official sales were announced, and compare them to Steam spy). At any rate, the 14,000 Steamspy sales doesn't really say anything.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 18, 2016

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Paul Zuvella posted:

steamspy is at least collecting data at some level, it's way less worthless than your weird "algorithm"

The point of it was to illustrate that Steamspy doesn't really work, as it very consistently underestimate's sales by a huge margin. Again, just do some statistical analysis, and doing something like multiplyiing it's numbers in basically every case where actual sales are known will get you closer to the actual estimate.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Linguica posted:

* From poking around online, it looks like Steamspy estimated Crusader Kings II had ~1.2 million owners on Steam.
* 2 years ago, Paradox said that Crusader Kings II had sold one million copies

But sure, whatever, I'm sure Zero Time Dilemma has sold five times as many copies as estimated, because your headcanon algorithm says so

Huh, it looks like at some point the numbers got mixed up in my head. I'm guessing I for whatever reason added up the expansion purchases at some point or something. I still feel like the Steam Spy numbers when the statistics initially were released were like 1/5 the actual sales numbers, but clearly I'm an idiot who can't be trusted.

I still don't think we can say ZTD is poorly selling, because we don't know the Vita or 3DS sales, and Steam Spy still errs on the underestimate side.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Take a look at Carlos' Bizzare adventure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Zero just wanted to explore the world of dat boi.

• Locked thread