Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welcome earthlings to the Awful Book of the Month!
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM me. :siren:

Past Books of the Month

[for BOTM before 2014, refer to archives]

2014:
January: Ursula K. LeGuin - The Left Hand of Darkness
February: Mikhail Bulgalov - Master & Margarita
March: Richard P. Feynman -- Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!
April: James Joyce -- Dubliners
May: Gabriel Garcia Marquez -- 100 Years of Solitude
June: Howard Zinn -- A People's History of the United States
July: Mary Renault -- The Last of the Wine
August: Barbara Tuchtman -- The Guns of August
September: Jane Austen -- Pride and Prejudice
October: Roger Zelazny -- A Night in the Lonesome October
November: John Gardner -- Grendel
December: Christopher Moore -- The Stupidest Angel

2015:
January: Italo Calvino -- Invisible Cities
February: Karl Ove Knausgaard -- My Struggle: Book 1.
March: Knut Hamsun -- Hunger
April: Liu Cixin -- 三体 ( The Three-Body Problem)
May: John Steinbeck -- Cannery Row
June: Truman Capote -- In Cold Blood
(Hiatus)
August: Ta-Nehisi Coates -- Between the World and Me
September: Wilkie Collins -- The Moonstone
October:Seth Dickinson -- The Traitor Baru Cormorant
November:Svetlana Alexievich -- Voices from Chernobyl
December: Michael Chabon -- Gentlemen of the Road

2016:
January: Three Men in a Boat (To say nothing of the Dog!) by Jerome K. Jerome
February:The March Up Country (The Anabasis) of Xenophon
March: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
April: Plain Tales from the Hills by Rudyard Kipling
May: Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima
The Vegetarian by Han Kang

Current: Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees

Book is available as a free download here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/26sg2xsks3t9d2x/Lud-in-the-Mist%20-%20Hope%20Mirrlees.epub?dl=0

if you don't want dropbox, also here: http://www.eithin.com/texts/Lud-in-the-Mist.pdf but that's an img-based pdf and thus deprecated.

(Published in 1926, it should be well out of U.S. copyright).

quote:

Neil Gaiman described Lud as "one of the finest [fantasy novels] in the English language.... It is a little golden miracle of a book." He described Mirrlees's writing as "elegant, supple, effective and haunting: the author demands a great deal from her readers, which she repays many times over."[6] He says that it is one of his top ten favorite books.[7]

quote:

Lud-in-the-Mist is an unusual fantasy first published in 1926, before The Hobbit and considerably before the existence of fantasy as a marketing genre. It would be recognised as one of the founding works of the genre except for the way it has rarely been noticed and seldom reprinted. It’s a book that is itself in the tradition of Rossetti’s Goblin Market (1862) and Dunsany’s The King of Elfland’s Daughter (1924). It’s very clearly an influence on Susannah Clarke’s Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, and Neil Gaiman’s Stardust and the work of Greer Gilman, so perhaps it has contributed to a particular strand of fantasy, a particular way of approaching the numinous.

Lud-in-the-Mist is a sleepy comfortable settled town in Dorimare, a country that borders on Faery but which has turned its back on Faery and all the possibilities of Faery. The book is poised on that edge in which the uncanny spills into the mundane. It’s also beautifully written and a joy to read aloud. The theme, and the shape of the story, is pretty much that of The Bacchae, which isn’t unknown as a modern plot (Joanne Harris’s Chocolat) but is an unusual one to borrow, especially in this kind of setting. The story is shot through with folklore and country superstitions and the looming presence of the faery folk under the edges of the everyday.

http://www.tor.com/2010/10/06/next-door-to-fairyland-hope-mirrlees-lud-in-the-mist/

quote:

All that meta-commentary aside, Lud is, in short, an extraordinary book. If Lord of the Rings is the big, bombastic Grandfather of modern fantasy, Lud is obviously the quiet, unassuming Grandma who showed everyone how to grow wild mint out back and jitterbug in the kitchen. In fact, given that Mirrlees published in 1926, some time before Dr. T’s opus, I would not be at all surprised if the Shire was full of Granny Hope’s patented mint.2. Look carefully at any work of fantasy in which urban worldbuilding, provincial farmlife, idyllic villages, or fanciful names figure largely, and you’ll see Mirrlees’ ghost peeping through the pages. She could even be called the mother of interstitial literature, since Lud combines the fantasy genre with horror and of all things, procedural crime drama and political philosophy.

It is, however, one of the most deeply strange and alien books I have ever read, and what’s more, it sucker-punches the reader with that Otherness right at the end, after a long, meandering narrative, that, much like the river Dapple, turns and wanders around the land of Lud without much hurry at all. The tidy, measured style is not at all dated, and the descriptions of the turn of the seasons, village life, and the flora and fauna of everyday are truly transcendant–even leaving aside the unsettling and eerie landscape of Fairyland itself. But for me, the novel, while charming, would have been a failure without its disturbing and marvelous conclusion.

-- Catherynne M. Valente, online at
http://web.archive.org/web/20060504162204/bitterquill.com/2006/01/24/fairy-fruit-now-served-at-all-the-finest-restaurants/

About the Author

quote:

Born in Chislehurst, Kent and raised in Scotland and South Africa, . . . . While at Cambridge, Mirrlees developed a relationship with famous classicist Jane Ellen Harrison, Mirrlees' tutor and later her close friend and collaborator.

Mirrlees and Harrison lived together from 1913 until the elder's death in 1928. Although they divided their time mainly between the United Kingdom and France, often returning to Paris to continue Harrison's medical treatments, their travels also took them to other European countries. Both of them studied Russian, Mirrlees earning a Diploma in Russian from the École des Langues Orientales of Paris, and went on to collaborate on translations from the Russian. Mirrlees and Harrison visited Spain in 1920, and there took Spanish lessons.

After Harrison's death, Mirrlees converted to Catholicism. In 1948, Mirrlees moved to South Africa and remained there until 1963, when the first (and only) volume of her "extravagant biography" of Sir Robert Bruce Cotton was published. Two slim volumes of poems were also privately published.

Mirrlees was a friend of Virginia Woolf, who described her in a letter as "her own heroine - capricious, exacting, exquisite, very learned, and beautifully dressed." Her circle of celebrity acquaintances also included T. S. Eliot; Gertrude Stein, who mentions Mirrlees in "Everybody's Autobiography"; Bertrand Russell; and Lady Ottoline Morrell, whose literary executor Mirrlees was.

quote:

Virginia Woolf, however, found her exasperating. In her diaries, she called Mirrlees "a very self conscious, wilful, prickly & perverse young woman, rather conspicuously well dressed & pretty, with a view of her own about books & style, an aristocratic & conservative tendency in opinion, & a corresponding taste for the beautiful & elaborate in literature." She invited Hope over for the weekend, and was appalled to discover that she not only changed her dress every night for dinner, but wore powder and scent in profusion and a wreath in her hair that matched the color of her stockings and every night, a different color of stockings. She was, Woolf concluded bemusedly, "rather an exquisite apparition."

Moreover, Mirrlees received a university education at a time when few women did, spoke five languages fluently, including Zulu, and was an up-and-coming literary figure. Her first two novels, now forgotten, received the kind of respectful reviews that difficult works by promising new writers do. She knew all the intellectual lights of her time, flitting inconsequently through the lives and sometimes biographies of Gertrude Stein, Bertrand Russell, Andre Gide, Lady Ottoline Morrell, Anthony Powell, Walter de la Mare, Katharine Mansfield, William Butler Yeats, T.S. Eliot, and the classicist, Jane Ellen Harrison, with whom she lived for several years.

http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/introduces/mirrlees.htm

Pacing

Just read, then post.

References and Further Reading

This could go in a lot of directions, but there's a good website at http://hopemirrlees.com/ that gives in-depth background on Hope Mirrlees, her writing, how she fits or can be fit into the Modernist pantheon, etc.

Final Note:

If you have any suggestions to change, improve or assess the book club generally, please PM or email me -- i.e., keep it out of this thread -- at least until into the last five days of the month, just so we don't derail discussion of the current book with meta-discussion. I do want to hear new ideas though, seriously, so please do actually PM or email me or whatever, or if you can't do either of those things, just hold that thought till the last five days of the month before posting it in this thread. Thanks, and I hope everyone enjoys the book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Also, please let me know if you find any typos or other mistakes in the ePub, so I can correct them. Hm, if people are actually going to read the ePub, maybe I should find somebody to do a proper non-copyrighted cover for it instead of the mock-Penguin one.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the epub, will read.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Definitely going to read this one. Thanks for the epub version, my kindle doesn't do well with .pdf.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

elf wizards. this is the poo poo i live for.

will give it a read!!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

In other news, I actually bought a copy of the CDs that appear to be the only recordings I could find of "Columbine," so now I actually know the tune. I guess I can't put them up for download so maybe I'll just record myself singing it or something if people actually want to know?

(Spoiler: it's very slow and could really use a peppy chiptune rearrangement.)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rand Brittain posted:

In other news, I actually bought a copy of the CDs that appear to be the only recordings I could find of "Columbine," so now I actually know the tune. I guess I can't put them up for download so maybe I'll just record myself singing it or something if people actually want to know?

Which version, the folk music one or the guy with the harp where the CD cost $45?

The harp version sounded a lot better from he short clip I could find. Ultimately it seems like it's a basic folk tune that could fit a lot of melodies, including the traditional "over the hills and far away" melody (not the Zeppelin song).

I'll post more about the folk lore background to this book a bit later. It has a deeeep pedigree; versions of the Columbine song date to the Elizabethan era.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 2, 2016

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
I just got my copy! It has no dust jacket, just grey cloth hardback binding. It looks appropriately arcane. Looking forward to delving into it!

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
this looks fun, I wish I hadn't left my kindle on the X5 bus to Caernarfon. i just ordered a used copy

if you find my kindle tho hmu

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
It's not wrong when described as meandering. I'm a few chapters in and it appears to be a paean to the good old days of aristocratic rule, who despite a few misdemeanors had the poor farm people at heart. Unlike those beastly merchants. It does have a tension and macabre about it - it's pretty clear where Susanna Clark got her inspiration from.

Rand Brittain posted:

Yup, wouldn't mind hearing that.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
Getting towards the end now - am I the only one reading this? The episode around the girls' school I found quite brilliant - real horror, and I had trouble sleeping. Since then there's been a bit too much plot and exposition to carry that horror. It's a hot bed reactionary thought - anti-science, anti-progress and a love of how things used to be. It's quite frightening how few females have agency.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Grabbed the epub, will probably get around to starting it in a few days.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

knees of putty posted:

Getting towards the end now - am I the only one reading this? The episode around the girls' school I found quite brilliant - real horror, and I had trouble sleeping. Since then there's been a bit too much plot and exposition to carry that horror. It's a hot bed reactionary thought - anti-science, anti-progress and a love of how things used to be. It's quite frightening how few females have agency.

I think people are getting started. Some people might be holding off a bit to let others start talking.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I was being lazy in adding the epub to my ereader, but I've done that now and will be starting it shortly.

edit - big thanks to Rand Brittain for the epub btw

Enfys fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jul 7, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm about a third in and honestly, going by the descriptions I've seen, I somehow got the impression that this is going to be a warm, cozy book.
This is not a warm, cozy book. And those fairies are assholes.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'd say it's moderately cozy, but it's also moderately horrifying. There's a reason why people tend to describe it as having a little bit of everything.

I'm not sure if I'd describe it as reactionary, though, although it does have a lot of upper-class characters who are pretty smugly superior. (At the same time, it's not afraid to say that they've become kind of bad at governing because they no longer have any idea what the working class thinks about anything.)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The class/progress conflict is kind of interesting. I'm about halfway through and I'd expect I'd be able to figure out whose side the author is on by now - but you get the silly, stuck-up, pompous city merchants against downright creepy fairies well-loved by the rural and working folk. Makes one interested of whether anyone ever analyzed this book from a properly rabid Marxist perspective.

On a side note, one phrase that's really stuck with me from was from when Ranulph is traveling to the farm, don't have my Kindle here now but it goes something like "Nothing at all happened during the journey (...) except for the endless pleasant things of country in summer." I think that sums up the idea I'm getting from the book rather well: the real issue of Lud-in-the-mist's inhabitants seems to be taking things for granted.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
It's interesting that y'all are focusing on the class divide because on my most recent read through I barely thought about that at all and focused instead on the gender/sexuality/"corruption" angle.

Things getting dirty at an all-girls school!

I agree that a "rabid" Marxist analysis would be interesting. Have to wonder what China Mieville's would make of it.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
Finished now. It was OK, but disappointed that it diverted from the macabre set up it initially had. The class angle didn't seem to persist or at least it gets confused - it just got lost in a kind of detective story in which we already knew who the guilty were. There is a division in the book, but it's actually hard to unpick. The theme does seem to be reason vs. faith / enlightenment vs. romanticism, but it's rather more vague than that. Mirrlees doesn't ever allow much focus on the more interesting aspects. For example, Nat throws himself into the abyss in blind faith and then the people let faith back into their life ... that's about all she's willing to say.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think it's less about faith and more about... not even really spirituality, more about rhyme-versus-reason and the need to accept the irrational parts of life if you want to be able to remain rational.

The idea of a sexuality angle to the whole thing hadn't really occurred to me at all.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

The idea of a sexuality angle to the whole thing hadn't really occurred to me at all.
I'd imagine there is one - the girl school just screams "obedient Victorian wife factory" (which seems like an anachronism even then - wasn't the book published in the 1920s?). I'm not so sure I'd classify what happens to the girls as "corruption", though; the way the Luddite (hurr) society is portrayed, you might as well see it as liberation. Mind you, I don't know what happened to the girls (yet?) past being spirited away but the descriptions seem to say it's based on The Bacchantes and that story is rather ambiguous about who's "in the right" and whether it's the Apollonian or Dionysian side you should be rooting for...

By the way, am I right assuming the Dionysus of this story is Leer? Because he's first introduced as compassionate and caring and then proceeds to act in the completely opposite way... Rather like Dionysus being the god of wine and revelry and turning out to be a cold-blooded plotter.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I agree that a "rabid" Marxist analysis would be interesting. Have to wonder what China Mieville's would make of it.
That's who I was thinking about, yes. Guy hates Lord of the Rings, he should be delighted to find out there's a whole different fantasy tradition with social struggle in it.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 8, 2016

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

By the way, am I right assuming the Dionysus of this story is Leer? Because he's first introduced as compassionate and caring and then proceeds to act in the completely opposite way... Rather like Dionysus being the god of wine and revelry and turning out to be a cold-blooded plotter.

I tend to assume that he's both; he's a schemer and he did some murders to get to his present influential position, but his goals are noble for some value of noble and he isn't lying when he says he "can't help being a physician and giving balm." He's a high-minded revolutionary who's signed onto the Aubrey platform for rational reasons, but has about as few scruples as Duke Aubrey does himself.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Rand Brittain posted:

I think it's less about faith and more about... not even really spirituality, more about rhyme-versus-reason and the need to accept the irrational parts of life if you want to be able to remain rational.

I think there's some strong support for it given 1) Rosetti's Goblin Market, 2) the whole Victorian-era sexual repression thing, and 3) Mirrlees' probable homosexuality. And then the son gets corrupted by the stablehand, etc. Saying "fairies = gays" is waaay reductionist though; there's a lot more going on here than just that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Anyway, a little background on "Chanticleer". Name comes from a cycle of French folk tales.

quote:

The Nun's Priest's Tale (Middle English: the Nonnes Preestes Tale of the Cok and Hen, Chauntecleer and Pertelote[1]) is one of The Canterbury Tales by the Middle English poet Geoffrey Chaucer. Composed in the 1390s, the 626-line narrative poem is a beast fable and mock epic based on an incident in the Reynard cycle. The story of Chanticleer and the Fox became further popularised in Britain through this means. .. . .

The fable concerns a world of talking animals who reflect both human perception and fallacy. Its protagonist is Chauntecleer, a proud cock (rooster) who dreams of his approaching doom in the form of a fox. Frightened, he awakens Pertelote, the chief favourite among his seven wives. She assures him that he only suffers from indigestion and chides him for paying heed to a simple dream. Chauntecleer recounts stories of prophets who foresaw their deaths, dreams that came true, and dreams that were more profound (for instance, Cicero's account of the Dream of Scipio). Chauntecleer is comforted and proceeds to greet a new day. Unfortunately for Chauntecleer, his own dream was also correct. A col-fox, ful of sly iniquitee (line 3215), who has previously tricked Chauntecleer's father and mother to their downfall, lies in wait for him in a bed of wortes.

When Chauntecleer spots this daun Russell (line 3334),[2] the fox plays to his prey's inflated ego and overcomes the cock's instinct to escape by insisting he would love to hear Chauntecleer crow just as his amazing father did, standing on tiptoe with neck outstretched and eyes closed. When the cock does so, he is promptly snatched from the yard in the fox's jaws and slung over his back. As the fox flees through the forest, with the entire barnyard giving chase, the captured Chauntecleer suggests that he should pause to tell his pursuers to give up. The predator's own pride is now his undoing: as the fox opens his mouth to taunt his pursuers, Chauntecleer escapes from his jaws and flies into the nearest tree. The fox tries in vain to convince the wary rooster of his repentance; it now prefers the safety of the tree and refuses to fall for the same trick a second time.

The Nun's Priest elaborates his slender tale with epic parallels drawn from ancient history and chivalry and spins it out with many an excursus, giving a display of learning which, in the context of the story and its characters, can only be comic and ironic. It concludes by admonishing the audience to be careful of reckless decisions and of "truste on flatery"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nun%27s_Priest%27s_Tale

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think there's some strong support for it given 1) Rosetti's Goblin Market, 2) the whole Victorian-era sexual repression thing, and 3) Mirrlees' probable homosexuality. And then the son gets corrupted by the stablehand, etc. Saying "fairies = gays" is waaay reductionist though; there's a lot more going on here than just that.

Yeah, I'd say that was a stretch, given that Ranulph's encounter with Willy Wisp seems way more like "young nerd teased by older boy" than "homosexual encounter" but really, who knows with Victorians? It's less of a stretch with the young girls, of course.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Welp, I certainly didn't expect it turning into a detective story. This book really was ahead of its time.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

knees of putty posted:

Yup, wouldn't mind hearing that.

Sadly, the low note in "strawberry-wire" is really killing me here.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
A fine book supporting decriminalization and harm-reduction, as opposed to the current, deeply flawed U.S. drug policy. The harm of the addictive and personally destructive fairy fruits being paltry compared to the evils worked out by the criminal distribution network (the over-zealous anti-drug enforcement units also playing their part to alienate and separate society). The narrative of gradual encirclement of the Leer distribution network, and the pursuit of the case at the expense of friends, family, and self promotion, combined with the permeation of the fairy fruit "game" in the entire socio-political milieu of society, mirrors beat for beat the first season of David Simon's The Wire.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Tree Goat posted:

A fine book supporting decriminalization and harm-reduction, as opposed to the current, deeply flawed U.S. drug policy. The harm of the addictive and personally destructive fairy fruits being paltry compared to the evils worked out by the criminal distribution network (the over-zealous anti-drug enforcement units also playing their part to alienate and separate society). The narrative of gradual encirclement of the Leer distribution network, and the pursuit of the case at the expense of friends, family, and self promotion, combined with the permeation of the fairy fruit "game" in the entire socio-political milieu of society, mirrors beat for beat the first season of David Simon's The Wire.

...yeah, okay, I can actually see that, which is pretty impressive.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Tree Goat posted:

:golfclap:

Minor point though: written in Britain in 1926, so not a commentary on modern U.S. drug policy. However, the Rollestone Act was passed in Britain that same year:

quote:

Before the 1920s, regulation in Britain was controlled by the pharmacists. Pharmacists that were found to have prescribed opium for illegitimate causes and anyone found to have sold opium without proper qualifications would be prosecuted.[91] Due to the passing of the Rolleston Act in Britain in 1926, doctors could prescribe opiates such as morphine and heroin on their own accord based on if they felt their patients demonstrated a medical need.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium#Regulation_in_Britain_and_the_United_States

And of course Prohibition would have begun in America six years previously.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Minor point though: written in Britain in 1926, so not a commentary on modern U.S. drug policy.

drat, really? I bet he didn't think of that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

A human heart posted:

drat, really? I bet he didn't think of that.

It's possible that not everybody is familiar with Cinema Discusso-style book reviews.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
I finished this today on the train, and I'm in two minds about it. On the one hand, it's beautiful and important and has some really great scenes, and the climax was ace. Copy-pasting my thoughts from GoodReads:

I wish I loved this more than I do. It's a classic piece of fantasy storytelling, and Mirrless builds a really rich little world. It's populated largely with stock characters, but the culture they inhabit is detailed enough that for the most part they're endearing enough. The worldbuilding does require enough attention and care that the story takes a l-o-n-g time to build momentum, which I found offputting for the first half of the book honestly. The rambling style of many scenes does mean the tension didn't hold for me. Once things pick up though, there are some really great scenes - at one point it turns into a kind of detective romp. You could even say that the plot concerns a small city truggling with an influx of narcotics. The climax was super, and the ending was a pleasant surprise that put a smile on my face.

It's also interesting to read this sort of fantasy storytelling from a world pre-Tolkien and pre-Lewis. Nothing's been codified, and so Mirrlees sometimes writes with the air of a historian, including comparisons to "our" world peppered throughout the text. It's easy to see why this is considered a classic piece of literature, let alone fantasy.

The fact that we don't get to see pretty much anything of Fairyland was both disappointing and made complete sense given the flow of the narrative. I hadn't considered its place in the context of drug/alcohol prohibition, but the ending is a nice counterpoint to the stuffy, paternalistic class dynamics of the rest of the book.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

About halfway through this and it is much better than expected. It reminds me of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell which I guess is an obvious thing because of the fairies but even more specifically how creepy they are and the nightmare scenario of them basically driving a bunch of people out of their minds on what seems like a total whim.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
One thing I kinda wonder about is whether it's trying to make a connection between fantasy and death. Throughout the book it's mentioned that the dead go to Fairyland and then you have Duke Audrey living it up there - sure, it's a point as old as Gilgamesh but it gives the whole book a distinctly morbid tone: even the fairy fruit coming down the river that flows from afterlife evokes distinctly mythological connotations - and Nathanael has to at least symbolically die in order to fit into Fairyland. Is what everyone in Lud wants really just a drop from Lethe?
Is there a point to be made about indulging in fantasies being ultimately destructive?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Is there a point to be made about indulging in fantasies being ultimately destructive?

That seems backwards, given that the moral seems to be that you have to indulge your fantasy to remain mentally healthy.

Although, I guess that doesn't mean it isn't associated with death, since you could also phrase it as "it isn't healthy to never do unhealthy things."

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 14, 2016

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

That seems backwards, given that the moral seems to be that you have to indulge your fantasy to remain mentally healthy.

Although, I guess that doesn't mean it isn't associated with death, since you could also phrase it as "it isn't healthy to never do unhealthy things."

Actually, this is kind of a hackneyed description.

I think a better way to get at what the novel is trying to say is to apply Hempie's speech about how she wouldn't have chosen the fairies as neighbors to the contents of your own mind.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

I think the fairy lands especially are synonymous with death, and the "Silent Folk" in general are described more like spirits roaming the earth. If there is any death analogy I would say it has to do with coming to terms with your own mortality maybe? Fairy stuff is considered highly taboo and the message seems to be that it is not necessarily evil or good but just a natural part of life that you have to accept.

Finished this today, really liked the ending but don't really have anything more insightful to say about it at the moment.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

I think the fairy lands especially are synonymous with death, and the "Silent Folk" in general are described more like spirits roaming the earth. If there is any death analogy I would say it has to do with coming to terms with your own mortality maybe? Fairy stuff is considered highly taboo and the message seems to be that it is not necessarily evil or good but just a natural part of life that you have to accept.

Finished this today, really liked the ending but don't really have anything more insightful to say about it at the moment.

Hm, looking over it again, that's actually really interesting. I was lumping in the fear of death element with a larger "irrationality" element, but truthfully, the book is quite insistent in claiming that the fear of death is the root of everything that Fairyland represents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Need nominations for next month!

Right now I'm leaning noir but that's just because I'm re-reading Chandler anyway.

• Locked thread