Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Sorry to break it to you nerds, but it's just not gonna happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Well, duh.

Aug 4, 2010

how do you know?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
What about faster than light travel, OP?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
good?

Moltke
May 13, 2009
dammit!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Uuuuuuhgggggvvgghhhhhhhh, come on man why not? :aaa:

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Does anyway have a link to the article exploring all of the horrible destruction such a massive object whipping back to earth after an inevitable malfunction/terrorist attack would cause? It was actually pretty rad.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Its just all the time everyone around me seems to be all hyped up about space elevators and I'm just smdh....

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
loving fatties should take the steps anyway

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
idgaf how much space they take up

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
throw OP into the whirring gears of an earthbound escalator

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
There already is. At least when I am laying on my back and get hard.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

seems like whoever would have to pay for it would get

astronomically shafted

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

yeah itll be more like an escalator

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
That NASA paper where they went into all sorts of thorough engineering detail justifying the viability of such a project was real interesting.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
whatever bitch

*drives away in flying car*

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx
pneumatic tubes may be incorporated

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx
space is literally a vacuum

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
lmao OP has never heard of car banana tubes :smug:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
It's going up next week. The construction has been real hush-hush, but they should be making an announcement about it soon.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
http://www.niac.usra.edu/files/studies/final_report/472Edwards.pdf

:spergin: :stare:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

look at all those stupid science bitches

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

BossRighteous posted:

Does anyway have a link to the article exploring all of the horrible destruction such a massive object whipping back to earth after an inevitable malfunction/terrorist attack would cause? It was actually pretty rad.

no but its a good article

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ha ha, like the us is even capable of such a large scale, technically precise project nowadays. we could surely plan and design the most amazing space elevator imaginable. but when it came time to actually building it our population is too dumb and our politicians are too corrupt.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Murph!

Murph!

Muuuuurph

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

ChrisHansen posted:

Murph!

Murph!

Muuuuurph

Dun let me leave, MURF!

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

im going to patent it so it wil never be built

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm gonna make a bunch of guesses and make someone prove me wrong and then reverse engineer their argument and destroy them and make it rain in the space titty bar. :homebrew:

cnut
May 3, 2016

Did the math, it checks out.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I have bad news. Nobody is ever getting off this rock we should all get comfortable and settle in for the long haul.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

reignofevil posted:

I have bad news. Nobody is ever getting off this rock we should all get comfortable and settle in for the long haul. resign ourselves to the imminent extinction of all life

f t f y

Millsy
Dec 28, 2004
All's fair in love and bouncy bouncy.
Pillbug
OP can you please tell me if we will have robots that are basically people because they have emotions? (I'm asking for a friend.)

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
But, carbon nanotuuuuuuuuuuuubes!

mmmm
Jul 26, 2010

hey
you're one of them fancy lads, ain't ya?
If NASA wants to keep their funding they'd drat well better stay ADA compliant -- if we can't have a Space Elevator for the upcoming crop of disabled astronauts then we'll just need to figure out some alternative way to facilitate their space access. Maybe some sort of county-funded Space Van? Whatever it is it'll have to be the sort of solution that can *just* barely function at 75% funding -- the days of pie-in-the-sky space endeavors are over & we need small gov't solutions for our austere times.

How about a really big cannon? That'd work, right? Dig a tunnel into the side of a mountain or some poo poo. Or maybe vacuum filled balloons are the answer this time, as they have so many times in the past. Got to tell the scienticians working on this stuff "think less Faustian, more desperation."

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mmmm posted:

If NASA wants to keep their funding they'd drat well better stay ADA compliant -- if we can't have a Space Elevator for the upcoming crop of disabled astronauts then we'll just need to figure out some alternative way to facilitate their space access. Maybe some sort of county-funded Space Van? Whatever it is it'll have to be the sort of solution that can *just* barely function at 75% funding -- the days of pie-in-the-sky space endeavors are over & we need small gov't solutions for our austere times.

How about a really big cannon? That'd work, right? Dig a tunnel into the side of a mountain or some poo poo. Or maybe vacuum filled balloons are the answer this time, as they have so many times in the past. Got to tell the scienticians working on this stuff "think less Faustian, more desperation."

You mean like some sort of.. Space.. Shuttle? :stare:

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Nerds are smart you loving cocksucker of an OP. Does it looks like anyone smart frequents GBS you PIECE OF poo poo?!?!?!

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
this is as good as it gets :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just set up a kickstarter and we will have one built by Christmas.

• Locked thread