Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Why couldn't we just do a really long rear end road that just goes straight instead of bending to the curvature of the earth? That way you could just go forward instead of up. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

mmmm posted:

If NASA wants to keep their funding they'd drat well better stay ADA compliant -- if we can't have a Space Elevator for the upcoming crop of disabled astronauts then we'll just need to figure out some alternative way to facilitate their space access. Maybe some sort of county-funded Space Van? Whatever it is it'll have to be the sort of solution that can *just* barely function at 75% funding -- the days of pie-in-the-sky space endeavors are over & we need small gov't solutions for our austere times.

How about a really big cannon? That'd work, right? Dig a tunnel into the side of a mountain or some poo poo. Or maybe vacuum filled balloons are the answer this time, as they have so many times in the past. Got to tell the scienticians working on this stuff "think less Faustian, more desperation."

I got you buddy, we'll just set off nukes underneath a big slab of metal until it and everyone on it is in space. As an added bonus, we have a lot of nukes already just corroding in their silos.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

denied.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Could we get a Hellevator instead ?

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Its not possible to build a material strong enough to handle the stresses.
We will eventually discover the particles responsible for creating mass fields, and thus learn how to control gravity. Get back to me then.

To clarify, anti gravity may not be possible, but there should be a way to reduce an objects mass field so that it weighs less.

WorldsStongestNerd fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 2, 2016

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

psychokitty posted:

Could we get a Hellevator instead ?

:devil: hell yeah :regd10:

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

hth posted:

:devil: hell yeah :regd10:

testing word filter

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

AugmentedVision posted:

testing word filter

Yeah he might have the greatest username

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug
why do nerds have such a micro-erection for space when there is so much unexplored inside the hollow earth

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

just take the space stairs you idiots

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

A CISHET SHITLORD posted:

why do nerds have such a micro-erection for space when there is so much unexplored inside the hollow earth

i've eaten enough dirt to know there's nothing underneath the ground

conversely i've played the choking game enough to know the vacuum of space might cause me to shoot fuckin ropes before i die having my insides collapse on themselves like the asian guy from the hit 2013 moving picture 'gravity'

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug

hth posted:

conversely i've played the choking game enough to know the vacuum of space might cause me to shoot fuckin ropes before i die having my insides collapse on themselves like the asian guy from the hit 2013 moving picture 'gravity'

well gently caress, I can't argue with this logic

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

hth posted:

Also like david carradine.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Can't you just like, focus a 3 beam laser on a kernel mass and run the jitter waveform through some polarized iron 180 degrees out of phase or some poo poo? :shrug:

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004
I mistakenly thought there was another "ever" in the title and sung it like that Taylor Swift song.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

BossRighteous posted:

Does anyway have a link to the article exploring all of the horrible destruction such a massive object whipping back to earth after an inevitable malfunction/terrorist attack would cause? It was actually pretty rad.

in the mars trilogy by kim stanley robinson (not a scientific article by any means but better than nothing) the elevator wraps around the planet a couple times before its finally done falling. besides immediate and indiscriminate annihilation of everything within viewing distance, its like a few hundred miles in each direction of the cable that gets destroyed

its a terrorist honeypot basically

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
we're never leaving this dead gay earth :(

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

BigwigML posted:

we're never leaving this dead gay earth :(

What's this we talk? Have a mouse in your pocket? I've got big plans on leaving this dead gay earth.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

imagine living in 2316 and we're all still stuck on this dumb gay planet

count your blessings

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Node posted:

in the mars trilogy by kim stanley robinson

these books are dope

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
all of ksr stuff is pretty good intrasolar scifi is a good jam

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

a real jerk posted:

imagine living in 2316 and we're all still stuck on this dumb gay planet

count your blessings

Fuckin polygon pants and clear acrylic cube hats. Get me off this plaaaaaannneeeeeeettttttt! :boom:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I'm glad the robot got the noodle of its tit. :unsmith:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's just a wireframe depiction of nipple hair removal

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

BossRighteous posted:

Does anyway have a link to the article exploring all of the horrible destruction such a massive object whipping back to earth after an inevitable malfunction/terrorist attack would cause? It was actually pretty rad.

I read a book where this happened and it ruined 3/4 of the poo poo along the equator, it was a cool idea

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

Sorry to break it to you nerds, but it's just not gonna happen.

ok

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
hold on op im pushing my dont care button re: you're poo poo thread

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Haha good it's cool that all the dreams and hopes and aspirations of mine will die and rot on this ball of dirt just like everyone that came before me and everyone afterwards.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Shaquin posted:

these books are dope

wow I honestly thought I was going to get called an idiot that likes lovely books

thanks for brightening my day, goon shaquin

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
If it breaks at the base it escapes into space. If it breaks at the counterweight then it falls down to earth. Terrorists would need to get to space to do actual damage.

Germstore fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 2, 2016

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

It's not that I worry that space would turn my terrestrial physique into a disastrous lump of degraded muscle tone and weird circulation issues, it's that the cosmic radiation that passes through spaceships would probably irradiate me before the micro meteors smashed through the fusilage and dragged me into the void.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

there was a paper put out recently that showed that a single atom being out of place could compromise the entire structure of a nanotube and it's unlikely that enough tubes in the cable will be defect-free for their entire length to have the predicted strength needed to make a space elevator possible

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE
I worry more about space alligators people say they can't be made but I know (my cousin works at nasa) that some top scientists and engineers and herpetologists are working on it as we speak. I just hope they finish in my lifetime.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
ok

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Fortunately we still have rockets.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

Its not possible to build a material strong enough to handle the stresses.
We will eventually discover the particles responsible for creating mass fields, and thus learn how to control gravity. Get back to me then.

To clarify, anti gravity may not be possible, but there should be a way to reduce an objects mass field so that it weighs less.

This is what they did in Mass Effect but they still needed the...uh...the things that looked like giant space guns to fire them even faster. Will we need those?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

BattleMaster posted:

there was a paper put out recently that showed that a single atom being out of place could compromise the entire structure of a nanotube and it's unlikely that enough tubes in the cable will be defect-free for their entire length to have the predicted strength needed to make a space elevator possible

yep, pretty unlikely *types post on machine that depends on giant defect free crystals*

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Germstore posted:

yep, pretty unlikely *types post on machine that depends on giant defect free crystals*

lol at this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Peebla posted:

I worry more about space alligators people say they can't be made but I know (my cousin works at nasa) that some top scientists and engineers and herpetologists are working on it as we speak. I just hope they finish in my lifetime.

Nah man space octopodes are where its at: 8 legs with suckers so they don't need magnet boots to cling to a hull, their ejected ink works as reaction mass to motivate in a zero-g vacuum, their spatial reasoning skills are practically unparalleled, and they have a nice sharp beak for biting into space suits

• Locked thread