Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I saw this topic come up in one of the other PYF threads, but no one ever made a thread. So I figured I might as well show some of what I've been wasting my money on. Rather than fill the first post with too much, I'll just post some of my collections now.

So first up is my comic book collection:

I have just over 3,000 comics now, since I started getting comics weekly in 2006. Started with Marvel's previous Civil War event, and have been buying back issues as my comic shop has insane sales. It's mostly Marvel, but I'm starting to get more excited by Image comics lately. My GF is buying most of the trade paperbacks now.

Since I am a turbo sperg, I have to organize them all. Thanks to this message board for the idea to store them in legal-sized filing cabinets. I have them mostly in alphabetical order, but I have to redo it so that I don't organize them by adjective anymore (so Astonishing X-Men, Uncanny X-Men together, instead of under A and U).

On the wall in our office is some of the related comic stuff. I have an original panel from Dr McNinja, and a signed poster from him as well. I also have the first appearance of Deadpool framed on my wall. I also have Uncanny X-Men 141 with the famous Days of Future Past cover on the wall, one of my favorite covers. My GF has the first appearance of Spider-Gwen, and she's fond of Jurassic Park, so that went up as well.

And because it's also in my office:

I still collect physical CDs. Right now I have over 500 disks on shelving I built. I know I should go digital only, but I like to have this crazy idea that one day Apple will allow FLAC files on their devices, and will re-rip them all. iTunes tells me that this is about 360 hours worth of music, or at least 2 weeks. This all started after Foo Fighter's Colour and the Shape first got radio play.

So yeah, that's enough of my collections for now to start. I figure there's a lot of different kinds of collections, and people will post about the new things they've acquired. What stuff do you selfishly hoard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I had a lot of video games at one point. I've since sold most of them, so I don't have any good pictures, but I had started collecting them when I was about 12, starting with a box of NES games my grandma had picked up at a garage sale. I had quite a few from my childhood and combining my collection renewed my interest, along with the then-underground NES enthusiast days of the early Internet when emulation was becoming a thing. In my early 20s I worked at a shop that sold used ones, so i had been buying them from there and hitting up the flea market at least twice a month. I had well over 1000 titles at one point. then when smartphones became a thing and people caught on that old games were gaining value and it became impossible to afford even relatively common titles, even on Craigslist or garage sales.

I miss it a lot sometimes, because emulation has never felt quite the same for a number of reasons, but it's impossible to overstate the convenience and simplicity of ROMs or digital rereleases of old games.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

IUG posted:

I still collect physical CDs. Right now I have over 500 disks on shelving I built. I know I should go digital only, but I like to have this crazy idea that one day Apple will allow FLAC files on their devices, and will re-rip them all. iTunes tells me that this is about 360 hours worth of music, or at least 2 weeks. This all started after Foo Fighter's Colour and the Shape first got radio play.

Why not just rip them all to full bandwidth wav files? Storage is so cheap, and 500 CDs shouldn't take up more than 350GB or so. You can then re-encode them to whatever format you want at a later date, and you never have to go back to the original discs since a 44.1K/16bit wav is a direct copy of the original. Plus Apple devices will play wav files if you're feeling lazy and don't feel like converting them.

E: poo poo, I just noticed you said 're-rip', so I'm assuming you've already done something like this.

the future is WOW has a new favorite as of 13:40 on Jul 14, 2016

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Well I have them ripped to mp3 in iTunes right now. However, I'm running out of storage, and will eventually buy a NAS. I don't want to put yet another hard drive in my Windows 10 box.

To keep this thread going, I think I'll post my shameful Pop Vinyl collection me and the misses have, when I get home.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Masks, yo.

I've acquired a few more since I took that picture, but I'm at work atm.

I also have a good amount of vinyl and a bunch of jewelry I either inherited from my grandmother or bought on my own, but those are a bit more tedious to photograph.

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Jul 14, 2016

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Guns.

So many guns!

(My sister and I discovered this secret gunvault in my dad's house when we were cleaning it out last weekend. I have a new collection...)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Re: Your new gun collection:

So here's why I picked this title for this topic. The GF's and my Pop Vinyl Collection:

She moved in around April. At the time I had about 30 out of box, and she had 24 in box. She didn't like unboxing them, but didn't like that they didn't match. So she started to unbox hers. These shelves were originally for my DVD/Bluray collection. But thanks to the Pops, it became my Bluray collection shelves. Then just Pop shelves. Then we had to buy more Ikea Gnebys to hold more Pops. We went from 50 to over 200 in a few months. Thankfully we both have fulltime jobs with full benefits.

To make room, we moved the Game of Thrones Pops to the TV stand.

Our favorite one so far, Squirrel Girl and Tippy Toe. From the Marvel Collector Corps.

And we have this idol front and center, keeping a watchful eye over everything.

We just picked up my HT order last night for Rick (from Rick and Morty) with Portal Gun, The Collector from Guardians Of the Galaxy, and Sherlock with Skull (for the misses). She put 3 more on hold as we have Hot Cash (basically 50% off) at home, so Duke and Chloe from Secret Life Of Pets, and Stitch with Hawaiian Shirt will be added later today. She also has a few on preorder at Gamestop, and I have orders from Amazon and my comic shop. I know we're also going to get a bunch from SDCC when those get released to stores. Eventually I'm going to finish my basement, and I don't know if I'll need sheetrock, or if I'll just cover the walls with our collection at that point.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

I had high hopes for this as a honeypot thread, but so far only the OP has embarrassed himself

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
It's about 5000 miles away from me now so no pictures, but my only collection is about ~180 NES games, all in their original box and about 75% or so with the manuals, plus a bunch of accessories still in their box + the vertical loader console/dogbone controllers. I've been saying I want to sell it for years but it's just such a pain in the rear end and 90+% of the people who want to buy NES games just want the cartridge and think the box etc add no value.

This was only accumulated because my grandma had a "source" that could get her new games for 5 bucks a piece. We never asked any questions because why would you when you're getting showered with games as a kid? But I'm pretty sure most of them were shoplifted in hindsight.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I live to serve.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

My stone collection:

Plesiosaurus vertebrae and tooth

A (small) piece of the Moon

Various meteorites

Pyrite and two other stones I don't know the name of

A spinosaurus tooth

A tooth from a sharktype called otodus obliquus

A stone axe from the younger stone age

A stone tool made by a neanderthal dude

A piece of the Tataouine meteorite

A triceratops tooth

A mososaurus tooth

An arrowhead from the younger stone age

An ammonite

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Rainbow ammonites are my favorite things and I buy them whenever I find them in good condition. I only have 3 or 4, but they're fun to hold in the sun. :3:

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Awesome "rock" collection! Those teeth are cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I've collected probably at least $2,500 worth of Domo-Kun stuff including stuff from when I literally went to the NHK studios in Tokyo's gift shop. I so wanted the 8 foot tall Domo toy that was only $1,000 but the shipping to the US would have been like $5K :( (to justify this I've been collecting them for 16 years)

• Locked thread