Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
I'm gonna take this time to pull a JMan.

SGDQ is awesome. The community is totally supportive and I appreciate it a lot. I got word that Samantha was going downhill fast on Monday, and immediately after I got off the phone with her father Dwango called asking if I had my FDS. I asked UA if I could ship it, said goodbye to the guy I randomly met the first day and hung out with, hugged halfcoordinated outside the stream room, and jetted. Being able to contribute to the event was a welcome distraction, it made me feel like I was really doing good outside of Samantha's situation. It gave me a sense of purpose and worth. I'm very glad I was allowed to do that.

When I got to see Samantha on Tuesday she wasn't doing well. Hospice said she probably wouldn't see the weekend. She disproved them, she's still around, but there's still no guarantee she'll ever leave the hospital she's at. I'll finally get to see her again this weekend and I'll be sure to show her some choice moments.

Friday I got word that my father was in the hospital at the end of his life. My brothers came in from around the country and sat with him for three days. There's very little to do in a hospital room waiting for someone to pass, so we watched SGDQ on my phone. No sound, as there were other people around and we wanted to disturb him as little as possible, but it was fun trying to explain how broken gen 1 pokemon is and what the players were doing while not having commentary, or trying to explain how TASbot works and THAT'S MY FDS. It's been 8 years since we've been in the same spot, and it was a bit strange to be watching on a phone next to our dying father, but it gave us a bonding time and now they're totally into it. He passed Monday morning.

Special thanks to Studio for allowing me to hug him, UA for that and convincing Matty to let me ship my FDS, Matty for organizing this whole thing and still taking a moment to express his sympathies, halfcoordinated for letting an awkward guy hug him crying before running out (and just doing what he does, seriously), and Kerfuffle for organizing that Yetee drop and donating those shirts.

The week of SGDQ was pretty lovely from a real life perspective, but it certainly softened the blows. It gave me something to look forward to, something to work towards, inspired a young girl I care about very much, and gave something to bond with my brothers over while we sat vigil with our dad.

Thanks guys.

Oyster fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Oyster posted:

Thanks guys.

:sympathy:

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Oyster, you've added an extra dimension to these marathons that I never thought I'd associate with GDQs. Thanks for opening up at a such a personal level, and you, Sam, Sam's family, and your brothers are always welcome at a GDQ. I owe you a bigger hug next time I see you.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Oyster posted:

I'm gonna take this time to pull a JMan.

SGDQ is awesome. The community is totally supportive and I appreciate it a lot. I got word that Samantha was going downhill fast on Monday, and immediately after I got off the phone with her father Dwango called asking if I had my FDS. I asked UA if I could ship it, said goodbye to the guy I randomly met the first day and hung out with, hugged halfcoordinated outside the stream room, and jetted. Being able to contribute to the event was a welcome distraction, it made me feel like I was really doing good outside of Samantha's situation. It gave me a sense of purpose and worth. I'm very glad I was allowed to do that.

When I got to see Samantha on Tuesday she wasn't doing well. Hospice said she probably wouldn't see the weekend. She disproved them, she's still around, but there's still no guarantee she'll ever leave the hospital she's at. I'll finally get to see her again this weekend and I'll be sure to show her some choice moments.

Friday I got word that my father was in the hospital at the end of his life. My brothers came in from around the country and sat with him for three days. There's very little to do in a hospital room waiting for someone to pass, so we watched SGDQ on my phone. No sound, as there were other people around and we wanted to disturb him as little as possible, but it was fun trying to explain how broken gen 1 pokemon is and what the players were doing while not having commentary, or trying to explain how TASbot works and THAT'S MY FDS. It's been 8 years since we've been in the same spot, and it was a bit strange to be watching on a phone next to our dying father, but it gave us a bonding time and now they're totally into it. He passed Monday morning.

Special thanks to Studio for allowing me to hug him, UA for that and convincing Matty to let me ship my FDS, Matty for organizing this whole thing and still taking a moment to express his sympathies, halfcoordinated for letting an awkward guy hug him crying before running out (and just doing what he does, seriously), and Kerfuffle for organizing that Yetee drop and donating those shirts.

The week of SGDQ was pretty lovely from a real life perspective, but it certainly softened the blows. It gave me something to look forward to, something to work towards, inspired a young girl I care about very much, and gave something to bond with my brothers over while we sat vigil with our dad.

Thanks guys.

you're a good person

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Thank you, Oyster and hopefully a bit better times for you in the future.

half's Momodora run was probably one of the highlights of any GDQ I've seen for me, and even moreso with knowing about Samantha.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I'm out of the loop, who's Samantha? :ohdear:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Momodora was a really good run

Thanks, half, for your contribution

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Aurora posted:

I'm out of the loop, who's Samantha? :ohdear:

Tl;dr sick girl gets inspired to play video games by halfcoordinated, gets chance to meet him at sgdq, falls further ill and is no longer able to

For the long version find the main speedruns thread and check his post history. click this link now that I rolled 5 feet out of bed and got off my phone

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 13, 2016

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

SeXReX posted:

Tl;dr sick girl gets inspired to play video games by halfcoordinated, gets chance to meet him at sgdq, falls further ill and is no longer able to

For the long version find the main speedruns thread and check his post history.

Ahh, will do, thanks!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SeXReX posted:

Jesus, I wasn't aware of that.

I know you're probably sick of people posting this kind of poo poo at/about you at this point but you're a good dude and I wish you and your family the best, Oyster.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm an hour into Jak and Daxter and :stare:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm almost up to an hour too and the couch crew commentary has been hysterical, at least to me. Are there others like this? Be it from this year or previous ones?

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

Speaking of, Black Knight 2000 is pretty baller if you haven't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUTgj90iB7M&t=73s.

♫YOU GOT THE POWER♫
NO WAY
♫YOU'RE READY FOR BATTLE♫
GIVE ME YOUR MONEY
♫THE BLACK KNIGHT♫
HA HA HA HA

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Do you guys promise that Bonesaw doesn't die by the end of this

I'm not sure he's breathing

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
you have so much to see yet

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
They still haven't uploaded the Tetris block to the GDQ channel. Is there a list of timestamp links to the Twitch archives somewhere?

Edit: Nevermind, their YouTube channel just sucks at showing everything. It's all up on the VOD link on the SGDQ site.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 14, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I got to Owen Wilson

This is a masterpiece

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

I got to Owen Wilson

This is a masterpiece

Wow! That's a great run!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Node posted:

I'm almost up to an hour too and the couch crew commentary has been hysterical, at least to me. Are there others like this? Be it from this year or previous ones?

Pepsi Man is hilarious for the game and a bit of commentary.

Aladdin has a fair bit of amusing commentary and a special surprise part of the way through.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Regy Rusty posted:

I got to Owen Wilson

This is a masterpiece

I also just finished watching this. What a riot.
I wish I still had time to watch Graveyard Shift runs live. These types are runs are my best memories of gdqs.

Wow!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dezinus posted:

I also just finished watching this. What a riot.
I wish I still had time to watch Graveyard Shift runs live. These types are runs are my best memories of gdqs.

Wow!

I'm actually kinda glad I saved it. I heard all the praise and decided to keep it for when I needed something really funny to cheer me up. Today that fit the bill and it really worked. :)

"Let's take 2 seconds to think about Bryan Cranston"

"Done"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mikedawson posted:

Wow! That's a great run!

Whoever sent in that Jeb Bush donation should get a medal, man.

(And then Bonesaw should get a second medal for sitting there completely stonefaced while the rest of the room cackles.)

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Vermain posted:

Whoever sent in that Jeb Bush donation should get a medal, man.

(And then Bonesaw should get a second medal for sitting there completely stonefaced while the rest of the room cackles.)

Depending on the audio tech runners weren't always being fed the host's mic in their headsets so it's possible he couldn't hear it

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Some rumor post said Bonesaw was in trouble with GDQ over that whole thing and I hope that's not the case.

Well the Air Canada thing was a bit not cool, but the rest was amazing.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GDQ staff literally hugged him after his run was over lol, he's fine.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

I heard staff was so mad they got the pm of Canada on the phone and had him deported to Japan

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I can't believe they loving executed Bonesaw on live state run television.

Avskum
Jul 27, 2009

:smugfrog:
Free Bonesaw

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Bonesaw posted a short journal afterwards, and basically said he doesn't know if he's blacklisted or not. He was supposed to get a talk from the staff later, but it never came! I guess we'll find out in 6 months or something.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

is adam ak still boycotting *GDQ for...whatever the hell reason he was boycotting it? I don't remember.

reason i asked is because I missed him. His Amnesia run whichever year was a blast

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I believe he and Joshimuz are still boycotting GDQ events, yes.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

People boycotting GDQ is such a wtf to me

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
why would Bonesaw even get blacklisted, does Owen Wilson secretly run AGDQ or something

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
will no one stand up to the forces of Big Anime

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Have you ever seen Mike Uyama and Owen Wilson together at the same time? Didn't think so :tinfoil:

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
"They're not let's plays!!!!!" -someone on the gdq forums, probably

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Have you ever seen Mike Uyama and Owen Wilson together at the same time? Didn't think so :tinfoil:

you joke but we're still not actually sure that Mike and Justin Wong are two different people.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Cubey posted:

I believe he and Joshimuz are still boycotting GDQ events, yes.

Why

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

SeXReX posted:

you joke but we're still not actually sure that Mike and Justin Wong are two different people.

i know hobos don't get vision insurance but if you can wander into a free clinic you should get that eyesight checked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm watching the speedrun for The Witness right now and it's blowin my mind. I know it's all just memorizing the puzzle patterns but he does it so fast and some at a distance where he can't even see the lines

edit: I say "just" but I could never memorize all this

edit: Oh gently caress these puzzles inside the mountain. I never would've finished the game if I had kept playing anyway

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 14, 2016

• Locked thread