Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

KennyMan666 posted:

Whatever the hell this is:

Hey, Sent updated my donation picture. You must have grabbed that before the final images got put up:

Album: http://imgur.com/a/qFOGs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

KennyMan666 posted:

I grabbed it yesterday from the imgur link in the prize tracker but I'll change it.

Yeah, they've been busy (obviously), and I had a slight delay in finishing the piece (the back panel got delayed over the weekend). He was kind enough to let me finish my submission with stand in images before the deadline.

DoctorWhat posted:

Oh drat, Kirby and the Amazing Mirror co-op? Sick!

Hopefully it's better than the N64 Kirby from AGDQ

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

So even thought the question of "What should I watch" isn't really something you can answer for everyone, there are some stand out runs that have regularly been amazing to watch.

Runs/Blocks to watch

- Awful Games Block. Also known as Silly SGDQ.

This is a collection of Hilaribad games that don't really fit into other game blocks. This year has two (?) blocks like this: July 4th 3am-6am and July 8th 3am- roughly 7am. These blocks feature such amazing games as:

Crystal's Pony Tale

Ed, Edd, and Eddy: The Mis-Edventures

Barbie Game Girl

And Super Amazing Wagon Adventure

Most of these games are fast to finish, hilariously broken, or run by funny people. Definitely a must watch. Although being in the early AM's means this is usually something to watch on VOD.

- Disney Done Quick

A collection of Disney licensed games, and sometimes not, that are usually surprisingly fun to watch. Most aren't broken per se but they almost always involve some very interesting movement tech. July 6th from 5:30pm - 8pm.

- TETRIS

Tetris at GDQs is a recent phenomena. You may be asking "How is tetris a speed running game?". Well it's not. Shut up and watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViwDUiCzPVU

The Tetris Exhibition is July 7th at 2: 15pm. There is also another Tetris game, Tetris Attack on July 6th at 8:20pm. That's not the same game though.

- Sonic '06

I haven't watched this run myself yet, but the game is amazingly broken. Probably worth a look. July 6th 2:20pm. For a fresher see this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xrS5NEBKjU

- Elderscrolls 3: Morrowind

Remember how long that games was? How in depth the story went? The amazing, vast adventures you quested on to save the ancient land of Morrowind? Yeah, lol, no we gone run sideways and just jump to the end.

- Super Mario Maker Blind Race

Last event we got an amazing race through unseen Mario Maker levels. Some top Mario runners were chosen and the race was by far the best one at AGDQ'16. Have you seen The Wizard? Remember the final scene with the kids racing through SMW3 blind? Well this is basically that. But better. Also it's a relay race.

- TASBlock

TAS, if you don't know, stands for Tool Assisted Speedrun. These are the videos you see of people making pixel perfect jump after pixel perfect jump and just clowning on games like they are literal gods. This block features a team that has developed what they call "TasBot" a cute little computer shoved into an NES Rob the Robot. This is always a must watch event, and they do crazy poo poo. Like turn Pokemon Red into Twitch Chat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoQLUhBfrOE

This isn't an exhaustive list. But is a good collection of well proven runs and events to watch if you can't think of anything else to tune in for. Most of us will be watching everything non-stop anyways so just check back in periodically for updates on runs that turned out to be amazing that we weren't expecting.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

KennyMan666 posted:

Huh, I hadn't even noticed Super Amazing Wagon Adventure was in. Didn't expect it either given how utterly un-runnable that game is since all of it is an autoscroller and everything is 100% random.

Yeah, it doesn't seem like a runable game, but I'm hopeful someone figured out how to game the rng or something.

symbolic posted:

I remember really wanting the Mis-Edventures as a kid but never getting it, so now I can finally see how bad it was and if I dodged a bullet.

I think it's safe to say you dodged a bullet.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Eonwe posted:

someone keeps mentioning stiv and controllerhead and febreze inbregars tk gdqs, whats the story there

Wait what? I am having trouble parsing this.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Eonwe posted:

also drunk

:yeah:

Be there with ya soon.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

Actually the goal of the charity drive is not to finish it quickly as that would negatively impact the ability for them to collect funds for their charity. While you are correct in that the goal of each run of the individual performer's demonstration is to go quickly, the actual charity itself is not designed to be finished any faster than the normal 154 hour allotted time. Sometimes it goes on slightly longer. I'd also add that the charity itself has to be over at the designated time as the staff involved have spent many, many countless hours and thousands of dollars making arrangements for their hotel stays, etc. It would do untold harm for them to have all this equipment/space allocated to them only to finish it early. The charity drive shall not end one second before it is expected to according to the schedule, as they have done very single year this charity drive has been going on since 2010.

:same:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

UraniumAnchor posted:

Actually AGDQ2012 finished over an hour ahead of schedule. :eng101:

For shame. That was an hour of fundraising you gave up!

Actual question though: How long after the event do donations still trickle in? Do you guys fully shut down the donation link right as you end the stream or do you leave it active for a few days to pull in some late donations?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Luna Was Here posted:

Can't wait to not watch most of the event and then spend countless man hours watching vods

Yeah. That's most of the fun. GDQs provide me with tons of background noise viewing for mindless tasks at work.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I was kinda hoping for a surprise kick off game like last time with Splatoon. That was a great surprise of a speedrun.

But Mario Sunshine is a good solid run to start with.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

mangler103 posted:

Did speedrunning just hit the big time?

HAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHA

AH

HAHA

HAHAHAHEHEHEHEHE

Ho

Hooooooooew.

hehehe.

Sure.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

LethalGeek posted:

My body & bar are ready for this week lets do this folks

Hey what you got in your bar?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Oyster posted:

Holy poo poo Kenny. Thanks for that shoutout to Samantha, I'll be sure to share it with her. Minor correction - she is at home right now, she was at Beaumont yesterday to be evaluated for treatment after the hospital she had been going to said there was nothing left to be done. Beaumont disagreed and will be giving her a phase 2 trial, and she returns there tomorrow.

Just checked into my room, time to get a badge and get to hunting people down.

drat man. I wish there were more that could be done for you and Sam. I really hope this works out for her.

If I were there I'd buy you any drinks you wanted. Or, I dunno, dinner. Memory foam pillow. A white noise generator.

Luxury pet of some kind...?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Oyster posted:

Pretty sure iastudent said he'd buy me drinks. No idea where the hell he is though.

I'm hanging in a room with golden and spike and I'm on my phone. Hah.

So what your saying is that no one has claimed the luxury pet slot?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Eonwe posted:

ill buy you a ferret

gently caress ferrets. What kinda luxury pet is that.

No ferret could hold a candle to a luxury chinchilla like this:

Oh...wait, I mean this:

poo poo....Maybe this:

gently caress.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Luna Was Here posted:

What about another whatever the gently caress it is you made for the raffles

IS IT REALLY THAT HARD TO RECOGNIZE MARIO IN THAT PIECE!?

LIKE DOES NO ONE REMEMBER THIS SHIRT FROM AGDQ!?

AND MY REPRODUCTION:

I thought it was good...

Crain fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 3, 2016

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

symbolic posted:

I recognized it as a design from a t-shirt I've seen before, but I had no idea it was an AGDQ t-shirt.

Oh....well then.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

you seem to have made a mistake because Ed edd n Eddy and Super Amazing Wagon Adventure are actually cool and fun games.

That sounds like I'm memeing but I'm really not they're actually both pretty fun.

"Awful games" block is just a blanket label.

It regularly features legitimately good games that just don't fit into any normal categories. Last time it featured games like Round-a-bout, which is an amazing game that's just plain weird.

"Awful games" doesn't necessarily mean the games are actually bad. But it does regularly feature objectively bad games all the same.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I not mad Luna. Just drunk and trying to make jokes.

Pls come back to sub.io...

EDIT: lmao you posted like 5 days ago. Nevermind.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Luna Was Here posted:

you're just never around mang

Lol I've been busy for the last moth making that monstrosity.

It's seriously huge.

28in x 24in

Also just work in general. We finally shipped our detector off this last week so I'm clear till november.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Luna Was Here posted:

I know I've asked you this before but what is it you do, exactly? I know you don't just 3d print stuff constantly but isn't that a big part of it?

Physics lab. Specifically a Cosmic Ray detector.

It flies around Antarctica in the winter (arctic summer).

Which is why the next GDQ event I could attend is SGDQ '17 sadly.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Empty quoting this.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Fawf posted:

BCAS owns

details pls

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Little Mac posted:

I want that Weird Mario thing very badly

Me literally screaming

Well get to bidding on it nerd.

July 8th. 6:25pm.

Super Mario Maker Run.

More literal screaming

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

UraniumAnchor posted:

Blueglass isn't making it out this time, sadly. It was very last minute, we even have a Volunteer badge for him. :(

Someone needs to make a Bluegrass Bot. That laughter is needed.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

christmas is loving cancelled

Real Christmas. Not that fake as December Christmas.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

My wardrobe is slowly just becoming GDQ t-shirts and jeans...

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Little Mac posted:

I- I know. I just said I want to win it. why are you yelling :((((((

I bought the Weird Mario shirt. It's great. Now I need that Weird Mario thing. I need all Weird Mario things.

Sorry, not screaming at you angrily. Just general "AAAAHH SOMEONE LIKES MY THING" screaming.

UraniumAnchor posted:

Missed this question before. We got a donation for AGDQ2016 in May. Generally we lock the event when we set up the next one.

Lmao, jesus that's better than I could have hoped for.

Maxwell Adams posted:

I hope they stop trying to be so professional. That e-sports vibe they went for last time really bummed me out. Don't put them in an interview chair and ask them to participate in a press release about speedrunning, let them do whatever they feel like doing to entertain themselves/the audience. I'm not here because I want to see the employees in a speedrun factory, I want to see nerds be nerds.

Nah. The event is just far too big for that anymore. Sadly the days of just having a bunch of nerds who pretty much have little to no plan trying to keep things smooth with an honor system and fingers crossed just isn't viable anymore. Not when you're pulling in 2+million in donations every year across two massive events that work with some of the largest and most well known charities in the world.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

CrashCat posted:

why do they keep letting that hobo in for Meme Hour

At least it isn't the touhou guys again.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

ColdPie posted:

OJ PAX shirt come say hi

What's it like? Give us a rundown.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

30 min or so to go.

Get ready.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

drat it, we need Touhou_Speed_Run.jpg in here.

I got chu fam:

Also went through the AGDQ thread and found a bunch of other goodies.

https://twitter.com/SirStendec/status/683060873070424064/photo/1

https://twitter.com/spacecoyotl/status/684527149315821568/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

This guy who kept mugging at the camera

AAaaaand people were getting salty about Mike making money.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Of course it's Undertale Music.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Already at $1161

Nice

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

drat, now I really wish I had been able to get my Art Panel there in time for the event...

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Already one minute behind schedule. This marathon is so poorly run. :v:

Um excuse me?

https://twitter.com/GamesDoneQuick/status/749641856804282368

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Pakled posted:

Awful block is called Silly Block in the summer and is coming later tonight.

Nah, they said there's no standardized block of awful games. There's really like two times where the awful/silly games are being done
and some others throughout the event.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Glitchless OoT?

Hoooboy.

"It's very fast"

"Under 4 hours"

lmao

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Minrad posted:

spikevegeta has just named every zelda file "Jeff"

rip

But we need it to be Sam :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

something posted:

did he say what i thought he just said

I missed it. What did you thought he just said?

• Locked thread