Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Crain posted:

So even thought the question of "What should I watch" isn't really something you can answer for everyone, there are some stand out runs that have regularly been amazing to watch.

Runs/Blocks to watch

- Awful Games Block.

you seem to have made a mistake because Ed edd n Eddy and Super Amazing Wagon Adventure are actually cool and fun games and not Awful.

That sounds like I'm memeing but I'm really not they're actually both pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

UraniumAnchor posted:

Blueglass isn't making it out this time, sadly. It was very last minute, we even have a Volunteer badge for him. :(

christmas is loving cancelled

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

i love everything you do to upset people on the internet

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

advance reminder that Catherine Babel with two actual people is much cooler than 1p2c: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tnziIlf8eY

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Your Computer posted:

I've never understood the naming incentives and they always feel really in-jokey but I have no idea from where?

They are really in-jokey and I'm sorry you're not cool enough to understand the jokes.

(i don't get them either)

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

How Rude posted:

also, anyone else besides me excited for Trauma Center: Second Opinion? Really good players are blindingly fast in that game

I've never seen a run of it before and it's certainly something new so colour me at least interested

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

HUMBLE SGDQ BUNDLE

https://www.humblebundle.com/sgdq-2016-bundle

buy freedom planet

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

i irrationally hate people who base their identity around a single twitch emote so yeah I dunno gently caress this guy somewhat

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

I mean, the dude didn't know what he was sniping which is kinda tragic and perversely hilarious but the fact it was for a lameass twitch emote is so boring

like if he would've just sniped with something crude at least it would've been funny

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

i'm kinda worried about bad commentary for freedom planet because while the run is excellent, I know Fladervy pretty well and dude doesn't speak great English and is really loving shy. I'm hoping his co-comm and the special guest (which you probably know about already if you follow my twitter but i'm gonna be coy for fun) can carry the run for him.

ganbatte fladervy

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Azazell0 posted:

It shouldn't be a problem if the couch and the runner talk about this beforehand and say, okay, you can focus on playing if you want, we'll handle the talking.

I have no idea how well they hashed that out in advance, since I know who the co-comm is and bluntly he doesn't really know a whole lot about Milla%. Maybe he swots up before the run, or gets notes or some poo poo but I dunno, I'm concerned. Would break my heart to have done a fair amount of liaising stuff to organise some poo poo for the run only it for to then be met with a "meh" reaction.

i'm more concerned about this than I should be, really but still I want this to go well for all of us in FP speedrunning.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Andrast posted:

What happened with the crash run that made it so terrible?

Gpro is a retarded autist.

like that run is the most popular example of it but it's far from the only thing

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

ChibiSoma posted:

Was this the same guy who went up to Withhelde and was creeping on her super fuckin' hard or was that some other dude?

wouldn't surprise me

thing I recently saw with the guy was the fact he recently got pressured to step down as a series mod for the entire Sonic series because that community got tired of him meddling and interrupting individual games communities attempts to restructure their leaderboards for absolutely no reason and generally getting on everyone's tits

so if you were maybe having the thought that he was just socially awkward on stage or something, rest assured that he's so hard to deal with that even the sonic fans can't put up with him

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Lessail posted:

How many "frame perfect"/"one frame trick" are actually so? I've always taken it as hyperbole for difficult to do.

More than you'd think but the trick with that statement is that there's usually ways to buffer it or the game runs at a low framerate or something.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

mangler103 posted:

He must be a stone cold boss at organizing and shipping stuff. Because wow, he hasn't learned anything about how to be on a mic in front of a camera.

I had a brief conversation with him when I was liaising between the GDQ guys and the dev of Freedom Planet to organise prizes and stuff and yeah he seems to have his poo poo very much on lock in that regard.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

so am I the only one who thinks reviewing the runs and giving them a numerical score is kinda daft

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Minrad posted:

"which runs are good" and "which vods do I watch" are pretty much the most common questions for the thread, for the next two weeks

I guess, but my point was more that the only really useful criteria for whether or not you'd like it is pretty much "are you interested in the game?". Everything else is subject to that.

like this thread really liked the DK race and I just found it boring because I don't find the game very engaging or interesting as a run so I wouldn't recommend it much

and if there's a real knockout of a run that you'd never expect like Tetris was a couple of GDQs back, people usually just recommend it on its own. a rating thing seems a bit dumb since it comes down to one's own personal taste in video games a lot

like right now I am kinda snoozing through the metroid prime run as well, not because it's necessarily bad but because I just don't find the game interesting to watch

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Pakled posted:

Personally speaking, there are plenty of runs of games I've never played or would be all that interested in playing that I ended up enjoying based on recommendations from the thread. For instance, last AGDQ's Animorphs.

Animorphs is the sort of run I would define as knockout good and would have people talking about it anyway. Since that was a run so good it made me actually learn the speedrun myself (it's painful don't)

anyway my point is that you really only need to state the really good runs or the really bad runs, everything else in the middle is kinda really subject to individual taste in video games

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

LethalGeek posted:

That poo poo was weird and dumb but apparently goons in the minority thinking so

Yeah, that run was actually well received across the internet in spite of the fact goons seem pretty undivided on it being poo poo.

i don't really know why

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Ironsoviet posted:

If I remember right, though, they eventually busted out the weird game modes and that went over a bit better.

they did one song with one single mod on it to make the notes wobble a bit while they played and that was it

given the incredible depths of poo poo you can do with Stepmania, that was a really poor "showcase" of the game because some of the gimmick maps available for stepmania are loving sweet

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

dogmother1776 posted:

Are the blocks random?

Sage Grimm posted:

Yes. And deviously so later on!

Nah. There are certain patterns the game can drop and the game will choose between those sets of patterns to drop on the level. It's not totally random at all.

Obelisk has literally random blocks though as you will soon see, which can in fact be some bullshit.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

ok that is an extremely unhelpful amount of bomb blocks lmao

strong tower management tho

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

KKKLIP ART posted:

Is the tower mode a mini game or is it the actual game?

Mini game unlocked by clearing the main story. Main story is pretty :catdrugs:

Also, his time is rear end but I'm genuinely surprised he didn't loving die given that profoundly rotten RNG. Rock solid composure, goddamn.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Alteisen posted:

That was loving insane.

Yeah, that was loving baller.

i swear to christ if I ever find someone who likes Catherine to play it with I will loving challenge those Pairs ILs

or maybe find a JP copy and do Solo Babel because I have no friends, do not much like 1p2c but really like Catherine

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

ElegantFugue posted:

... Well huh. Maybe Freedom Planet isn't a Sonic fangame so much as a Sparkster fangame? At least, in Lilac mode. Health bar, super meter, wall-bounce air dash, anachronistic high tech + old world setting...

It's not a fangame of either.

though it is clearly taking its cues more from Rocket Knight than Sonic, yes.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

i will never understand why they include singing

even when it's good I don't want it

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Thursday Next posted:

Counterpoint: that was good and it raised five thousand dollars for charity.

counterpoint: not video games

MY BOY RJWATERS GETTING THE SHOUTOUTS

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Man, this is disappointing to hear. I've got no problems with runners using glitches to speedrun in principle, but knowing that they are using janky earlier versions because they have the least patches is kinda lovely. It's like "speedrunning" Morrowind under the basis of using the Robe of St Roris's before its health-restoration effect was constantly on in the first version.

the goal is to go fast

Thing about this, right, is that speedrunning is just not big enough to sustain a game's community being split across multiple patch versions (usually) and the object of speedrunning is to go quickly so it usually just makes sense to standardize to one version of the game. Because SPEEDrunning, this ends up being the fastest version more often than not.

also glitches are fun how can one hate on that

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

drunken officeparty posted:

its not big enough to sustain that but big enough that people out there dedicate many hours of their lives to an ed edd and eddy game from 2004

speedruns are weird

I actually have a run of that game on that leaderboard. It's like, maybe a small handful of people who really put the work into it. I'm not really one of them.

Point is, speedgame communities should all be considered individually, and most individual games don't have very many people to them.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Kikas posted:

This and the bee room in Freedom Planet will be the end of all streams bitrate.

Milla doesn't play the level with the bee room.

it's a Lilac exclusive level

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I really wish Freedom Planet was Lilac instead of Milla. I want to see them fly at lightspeed through the levels and Milla is kind of a slower character

Milla's faster by several minutes??????

seriously I actually submitted a lilac run this GDQ and it didn't get in and there's a reason for that watch that run and observe proper Milla technique because that character is nothing approaching slower. She is the fastest character in the game bar none.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

That was a really loving good race, those two bounce off each other super well

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Is she? Her stages just felt slower because of the mechanics. I'll definitely watch the speedrun.

She is the only character who can hit the speed cap basically on command due to how the recoil from her main method of attack works. It's basically 2d Quake, rocket jumps for daaaaays.

also her skips are loving absurd and numerous because she's not programmed correctly

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

oh my loving god his button died lmoaoooooo

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

HoneyBoy posted:

Freedom Planet?

Didn't they just run this DeviantArt the Hedgehog game the past GDQ?

Shut the gently caress up and watch the run.

edit: i have no idea who those people are on the couch and I'm scared

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Kikas posted:

Jesus Christ how does Kirbymastah know stuff about so many games he's on the couch like half the time.

he actually doesn't he just bullshits well enough for this game to the untrained viewer

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Beasteh posted:

christ this guys a nervous mumbler

He's Brazillian, he can't speak very good English.

Seriously, I've known the guy for like, slightly over half a year and he started off so shy he couldn't and wouldn't even talk to any of us and I've spent the past loving forever getting the guy to open up and egg him on to submit his poo poo to GDQ this year and now he's actually here doing the run in front of so many people, he's come so loving far in his confidence in such a short time

and that's wonderful

i am so proud of this lanky fucker in the catboo t-shirt

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Macaluso posted:

It sounds like the devs of the game are doing what the Ori and the Blind Forest devs did as far as speedrunners are concerned where they only change exploits if it really breaks the game which is cool.

Strife actually patched a skip in for us, because we found a thing that really broke the game's timing method so we asked him to fix the timing method and not the skip.

He did. Strife is a cool dude and was really friendly to me in my attempts to organise dev commentary for this run. He's pretty nice.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Azazell0 posted:

"Huh, I've never seen that before, and I'm the one who made the level"

Classic.

that zip is like maybe a few weeks old at best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I was under the impression that the runner doesn't really want to talk and is pretty shy in general. Socks guy seems to have been giving pretty good constant information about what's happening

He can't speak very good English, sadly.

also johann holy gently caress stop talking what the gently caress man

• Locked thread