Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
Holy poo poo Kenny. Thanks for that shoutout to Samantha, I'll be sure to share it with her. Minor correction - she is at home right now, she was at Beaumont yesterday to be evaluated for treatment after the hospital she had been going to said there was nothing left to be done. Beaumont disagreed and will be giving her a phase 2 trial, and she returns there tomorrow.

Just checked into my room, time to get a badge and get to hunting people down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Crain posted:

drat man. I wish there were more that could be done for you and Sam. I really hope this works out for her.

If I were there I'd buy you any drinks you wanted. Or, I dunno, dinner. Memory foam pillow. A white noise generator.

Luxury pet of some kind...?

Pretty sure iastudent said he'd buy me drinks. No idea where the hell he is though.

I'm hanging in a room with golden and spike and I'm on my phone. Hah.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam
Uranium Anchor, Studio, and Halfcoordinated have been hugged. Took a minute since I don't really know anyone here.

Finally getting over being the awkward nerd among awkward nerds.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Eonwe posted:

you are like the least awkward nerd ive seen posting here

Posting on the internet and hanging out with a bunch of relative strangers are two very different things yo. Everyone's been really cool though, just gotta start talkin to em.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

symbolic posted:

He's part of the Super Mario Maker race.

He better show up soon so I can get a picture with him before I leave Wednesday. I haven't seen Blueglass yet either. I'm missing Dwango by a day :(

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

UraniumAnchor posted:

Blueglass isn't making it out this time, sadly. It was very last minute, we even have a Volunteer badge for him. :(

The one time I show up! :argh: meh, more incentive to go to AGDQ. I really am impressed at how cool everyone is, even calling out to people I recognize when they have no idea who I am.

Whelp. At least I should get to see Team Poor Life Choices in action.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Yeah! I didn't buy any when I registered. Time to change that!

And hey, Kerfuffle! I got your last PM, I just didn't respond because things have been very uncertain this past week. Now that she's starting the trial tomorrow and there still is hope I'd like to take you up on that, if it's still possible.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam
As much poo poo as I give for pushing HOOOOYYYYPPEE way too much I'm sitting in the stream room feeling HYPE AS gently caress

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam
Hey UA fix the donation tracker so I can see if Sam is winning the ALBTW file name.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

smell this posted:

something something LIABILITY

The charity directly requested it not to be uploaded.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam
Spike is super cool and chill, at least from the half hour I hung out with him in the practice room and he was rocking it then. Sad to see less than that on stream.

Someone way earlier asked what incentive Samantha would like to go for since she didn't get LBTW. I just got off the phone with her father and there really isn't another one. Today has been a bad day for her, so I'm putting all remaining I have towards Halfcoordinated's hand cam because he's a cool fuckin dude.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam
Holy poo poo the room reaction during that zip

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam
Someone make me a clip of the Yetee drop. I missed it - I'm caring for her three little siblings right now - and while I'll see it on VOD I'd like to share it with her parents.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

UraniumAnchor posted:

Yes but I don't have a picture handy sorry.

I do.

Medibot if I make it to AGDQ you are not escaping a hug.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Eonwe posted:

i might try to make it to AGDQ

You wouldn't escape either. Medibot is at a slight disadvantage since I know what he looks like.

I just got the kids to bed and tuned in. Half is a cool fuckin dude.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

I got to the stream late, didn't realize his runner's choice donation incentive was for Sam.

Thanks dude. If her siblings are still here when that run happens I'll get them to see it.

Burginator posted:

Oh jeez. Welp, time to donate for that, how could I not

As the guy that has her siblings sleeping in the next room, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam
I'm gonna take this time to pull a JMan.

SGDQ is awesome. The community is totally supportive and I appreciate it a lot. I got word that Samantha was going downhill fast on Monday, and immediately after I got off the phone with her father Dwango called asking if I had my FDS. I asked UA if I could ship it, said goodbye to the guy I randomly met the first day and hung out with, hugged halfcoordinated outside the stream room, and jetted. Being able to contribute to the event was a welcome distraction, it made me feel like I was really doing good outside of Samantha's situation. It gave me a sense of purpose and worth. I'm very glad I was allowed to do that.

When I got to see Samantha on Tuesday she wasn't doing well. Hospice said she probably wouldn't see the weekend. She disproved them, she's still around, but there's still no guarantee she'll ever leave the hospital she's at. I'll finally get to see her again this weekend and I'll be sure to show her some choice moments.

Friday I got word that my father was in the hospital at the end of his life. My brothers came in from around the country and sat with him for three days. There's very little to do in a hospital room waiting for someone to pass, so we watched SGDQ on my phone. No sound, as there were other people around and we wanted to disturb him as little as possible, but it was fun trying to explain how broken gen 1 pokemon is and what the players were doing while not having commentary, or trying to explain how TASbot works and THAT'S MY FDS. It's been 8 years since we've been in the same spot, and it was a bit strange to be watching on a phone next to our dying father, but it gave us a bonding time and now they're totally into it. He passed Monday morning.

Special thanks to Studio for allowing me to hug him, UA for that and convincing Matty to let me ship my FDS, Matty for organizing this whole thing and still taking a moment to express his sympathies, halfcoordinated for letting an awkward guy hug him crying before running out (and just doing what he does, seriously), and Kerfuffle for organizing that Yetee drop and donating those shirts.

The week of SGDQ was pretty lovely from a real life perspective, but it certainly softened the blows. It gave me something to look forward to, something to work towards, inspired a young girl I care about very much, and gave something to bond with my brothers over while we sat vigil with our dad.

Thanks guys.

Oyster fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 13, 2016

• Locked thread