Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
The miniseries thing should be about worf

Also all the other shows should be about worf too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Do a cheers style show where he's retired from starfleet running a bar in san francisco

Fisherman's Worf

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sir Lemming posted:

Watching TOS and TNG back to back, it's striking how many risks they took vs. how they reboot things now. I guess it was different circumstances to some extent, as the cancellation of TOS was still a little more of an open wound, and sci-fi was all nerd stuff that nobody was going to watch anyway, and home video was almost non-existent so only the really die-hard nerds could ding you for continuity errors and stuff.

The real answer is, no one actually cares about continuity issues if it's just ignored. Jump 100 years into the future, have a few nods to the past, and just do your own thing.

Continuity gets nitpicked when the show itself leans heavily on established continuity and they decide to selectivity rewrite things because they don't actually care enough to work within their own self imposed boundaries.

That's why I never understood the people going "you can't keep moving forward, the continuity is too heavy." Moving forward is literally the easiest way to shrug off established continuity.

Don't bill your poo poo as "before Kirk and Spock" when you don't actually care about what that means for your story. You are leaning on continuity to inform the viewer on what to expect, don't act surprised when they get upset when it's precisely not that.

It's like going into a restaurant and the waiter asking "You like burgers right?" and then have him bring out a big plate of hákarl.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Exactly. The problem with Discovery continuity-wise (there are plenty of others) is that they intentionally and explicitly placed it in a known period and then went out of their way to say it was in continuity.

Then they did whatever the gently caress all that was

They painted the bullseye on their own chest, criticism-wise.

A new show need not do any of that, and seeing it sufficiently in the future gives you a lot of leeway

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so what's the business with V'Ger being connected to the Borg or whatever

because I'm watching the first movie and lemme tell ya, the Borg and their poo poo seem like a significant downgrade

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nodosaur posted:

because I'm watching the first movie and lemme tell ya, the Borg and their poo poo seem like a significant downgrade

People noticed that when V'Ger's origins are explained, it was made into what it is by a planet of living machines. A lot of people decided that this had to be the Borg. It's a "link" never actually suggested in any of the movies or shows.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Cythereal posted:

People noticed that when V'Ger's origins are explained, it was made into what it is by a planet of living machines. A lot of people decided that this had to be the Borg. It's a "link" never actually suggested in any of the movies or shows.

I thought the possibility was suggested by Roddenberry himself.

I mean it doesn't count if it's not onscreen I just wondered if they put any thought into how it worked out.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Here’s a huge goddamn idea: Real life Parrises Squares, featuring play by play from LeVar Burton and color commentary from Frakes.

”The Anbo-jyutsu is an ILLEGAL MOVE!”

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Gorelab posted:

I just want to say that as a concept I kinda like Starfleet Academy even if it'd be CW show #10190812098225858.

Red Squad: Riverdale of Tomorrow.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I feel sorry for the guy they got to play Xon in Phase 2. Not only do they completely write out his character so Nimoy can come back, they introduce Saavik in the next movie who is basically the same character but a lady.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The trouble with a Starfleet Academy show is that they wouldn’t be able to resist for more than about half an episode before the classroom door opens, and the principal walks in with a new cadet. “I’d like to introduce a new cadet for the command track. Please welcome James Kirk.”

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

A mix of TOS/TNG characters, plus DS9/VOY/ENT characters and some famous historical figures like Lincoln as recurring background characters, are kidnapped by aliens, mindwiped of everything after the age where they entered Starfleet, and forced to relive their Starfleet Academy days together in a simulation for sick and twisted 26th century alien network executives for purposes of reality TV

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

galenanorth posted:

A mix of TOS/TNG characters, plus DS9/VOY/ENT characters and some famous historical figures like Lincoln as recurring background characters, are kidnapped by aliens, mindwiped of everything after the age where they entered Starfleet, and forced to relive their Starfleet Academy days together in a simulation for sick and twisted 26th century alien network executives for purposes of reality TV

So, "Star Trek: Decendants"?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Riptor posted:

Do a cheers style show where he's retired from starfleet running a bar in san francisco Minsk.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Shatner's ghost writer used it as a plot point in one of his Shatnerverse novels.

Also another writer in a completely unrelated novel wrote a novel about another planet killer (the snow cone from TOS) and how they were weapons created by some long dead civilization to kill the Borg. I think one of Guinan's race found a derelict one and went on a mission of revenge with it. Basically the Borg get stuck in a lot of writers' heads when they think about the weird poo poo TOS brought up.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
gently caress it, just do a police procedural. NCIS: Starfleet.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pakled posted:

Also I like how Buck Bokai was supposed to be the best baseball player ever, but then we see him at the supposed height of his career and he's a chubby 45-year-old 5'7" guy. The PEDs theyre using in his time must be insane.

Maybe the rules changed in the future, so they call him "best" in that context. Sort of like how Babe Ruth would be completely obliterated if he faced a modern pitcher, but everyone is still all BABE loving RUTH!!!!!!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pakled posted:

You know I think you could get a pretty interesting show out of some kind of judge ship which was like a circuit court thing for the Federation and outlying areas. I don't know how you could work it but it'd be an eccentric but approachable premise.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pakled posted:

One's a Changeling fascist, one's a Ferengi bartender, together, they fight (and commit) crime!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

How about just filing a few serial numbers back onto Sector General?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pakled posted:

Also I like how Buck Bokai was supposed to be the best baseball player ever, but then we see him at the supposed height of his career and he's a chubby 45-year-old 5'7" guy. The PEDs theyre using in his time must be insane.

Jose Altuve, the reigning AL MVP, is 5’5”. Bartolo Colon is a 45 year old lardass who had a perfect game through 8 innings earlier this year, and is easily the best pitcher on his team. Nolan Ryan was dominant in four decades and finally retired when he was 46. Not to mention Babe Ruth was a functioning alcoholic who ate like poo poo and still went down as one of the all time greats.

Baseball is the one sport where your physical attributes can be easily compensated for if you hit like a truck or pitch like a machine.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nolan Ryan once punched a man and became America's Greatest Baseball Hero.

Let's all watch it and celebrate it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3niGu9d_pY

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

If Kirk did his job by reporting them in his log, the UFP probably declared the Excalbian system off limits for fear of any other warp capable people getting caught in their 'we don't know what morals are, please become our toy soldiers and die with spears in your backs so we can learn' bullshit.

In one of the TOS-based comic books published by DC, there's a pretty good miniarc written by Peter David about the Excalbians.
They get bored of sitting on their lava asses (presumably because of the possible Federation edict to stay the gently caress away) and decide they'll go outside (their system) to play.

First, they bushwhack the Organians so they can't interfere, then they take over the minds of Grand Admiral Turner of StarFleet and the Klingon Emperor, and prod them into starting a war.

Sporadic battles break out, but Kirk is bothered by the fact that the Organians don't seem to be stepping in to enforce the treaty, which they could do very easily; he runs runs away from the battles he considers pointless, which makes Turner mad, then he gets to Organia where he discovers that the Excalbians are holding the Organians in suspended animation (just barely) while they do their good/bad chessplaying.

Kirk figures out a way to free the Organians, and they immediately turn on the Excalbians; at one point planetary-sized avatars of Ayelborne, Trefayne, and Claymare are gesticulating at equally planet-sized Excalbians who are madly gesticulating back at them, with the Enterprise nearby; suddenly they all disappear and Kirk figures they moved the fight to some other dimension so as not to break the galaxy. End result is that both sides realize they've been played and return to their former uneasy detente, but this time no one's watching the kids..

This sounds like an STO Expansion...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Astroman posted:

This sounds like an STO Expansion...

STO can't afford Shatner so no Kirk.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

why do people dislike Kruge again? It feels like he set the mold for any Klingon antagonists that followed. And Christopher Lloyd acted the gently caress out of that part.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Clone High: Trek Edition

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Sash! posted:

Nolan Ryan once punched a man and became America's Greatest Baseball Hero.

Let's all watch it and celebrate it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3niGu9d_pY

I mark for the headlock every single time

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nice, it's a TAS-aware crossover. That's the Uhura stand-in, M'Ress on the left. I named a cat after her once upon a time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sash! posted:

Maybe the rules changed in the future, so they call him "best" in that context. Sort of like how Babe Ruth would be completely obliterated if he faced a modern pitcher, but everyone is still all BABE loving RUTH!!!!!!
Bokai played baseball when apparently the sport was about to die, so I tend to think the talent he was playing against couldn't have been very good

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
James Doohan and Majel Barrett aren't going to be able to voice every character though :smith:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nodosaur posted:

That's ironic, because it was the newer stuff that introduced more moral conflict, shades of grey, actual war, and less "humans are ideal and perfect" than The Original Series did.

someone_who_hasnt_watched_tos.txt

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

The trouble with a Starfleet Academy show is that they wouldn’t be able to resist for more than about half an episode before the classroom door opens, and the principal walks in with a new cadet. “I’d like to introduce a new cadet for the command track. Please welcome James Kirk.”

I mean

there are worse things one can imagine than Kirk serving as the Chuck Bass/Ryan Atwood of a series.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I for one think Kurtzman is a perfect fit to handle the return of Picard.

Yep, good ol' revenge-crazy, tank-top-wearing, bad-guy sluggin' dune buggy enthusiast Picard is BACK baby!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Kibayasu posted:

Also another writer in a completely unrelated novel wrote a novel about another planet killer (the snow cone from TOS) and how they were weapons created by some long dead civilization to kill the Borg. I think one of Guinan's race found a derelict one and went on a mission of revenge with it. Basically the Borg get stuck in a lot of writers' heads when they think about the weird poo poo TOS brought up.

It's crazy to think about it now, but when Vendetta (the novel you're referring to) came out, there had only been two onscreen Borg appearances , if you count BoBW as a single story.

Static!
Jul 17, 2007

Hold on, I'm watching this...

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

someone_who_hasnt_watched_tos.txt

I mean, TOS constantly goes on about how humans have changed, those who go against the grain are usually outsiders and antagonists, and all the casual racism and sexism is never called out.

TOS doesn't really get into that territory until the movies.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
star trek fan art: good, or bad?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The question is irrelevant. Deploy the fan art.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Riptor posted:

Do a cheers style show where he's retired from starfleet running a bar in san francisco

Fisherman's Worf

Today's Special:

Gowron's Blackened Free Range Swordfish. Slain by hand in honorable undersea combat, and sliced into thick steaks with Kahless's eternal blade. Seared over the white-hot skulls of enemies of the Empire and infused with a bloodwine-chutney sauce. Served on a bed of live gagh, with choice of dirty rice or baked potato on the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nodosaur posted:

I mean, TOS constantly goes on about how humans have changed, those who go against the grain are usually outsiders and antagonists, and all the casual racism and sexism is never called out.

TOS doesn't really get into that territory until the movies.

TNG was way more beholden to "Gene's vision" than TOS ever was.