Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

"The Abandoned" (DS9 S03E06) was a really good episode. It reminds me of the time I was helping a friend struggling with alcoholism and it reached a point where it didn't seem like there was anything else I could do.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jun 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
This has probably been discussed before, but I just saw an episode of Deep Space Nine where some sort of high level Bajoran guy was doing some important negotiating with a Cardassian, and he was in a accident that almost killed him. To keep the Bajoran alive and functional, Bashir has to replace part of his brain with some sort of artificial positronic implants. Bashir worries that a special "spark of life" will be lost when he puts these artificial brain areas in the Bajoran guy's brain and, sure enough, when the Bajoran is conscious again he says that everything feels different and off. Later on, the Bajoran has some sort of stroke and is near death. Kira wants Bashir to replace the guy's entire brain with a positronic brain, but Bashir says that if he did that the spark of life would be entirely gone from the guy and that they should just let him die. And, sure enough, they just let the guy die. Uhh...that's a pretty big gently caress you to Data, who apparently doesn't have this magical spark of life because his brain is a completely artifical positronic brain. Granted, Data didn't start off as an organic person and then get changed into an artificial person, he was artificial from the start, but still. It's also a pretty big rebuke to people who want to upload their consciousness to a computer or the cloud or whatever, since they wouldn't have this spark of life anymore either. I mean, replacing someone's brain with an artificial brain is problematic, but the whole story line had a little too much of a religious feel for a star trek ep.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DrNutt posted:

The gently caress. mods????

The E-D is a bloated whale of a ship, sorry, easily my least favorite of the various Enterprise designs. My favorite two, though, have by far the least amount of screen time: the Excelsior class E-B and the Ambassador class E-C.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Dennis System posted:

This has probably been discussed before, but I just saw an episode of Deep Space Nine where some sort of high level Bajoran guy was doing some important negotiating with a Cardassian, and he was in a accident that almost killed him. To keep the Bajoran alive and functional, Bashir has to replace part of his brain with some sort of artificial positronic implants. Bashir worries that a special "spark of life" will be lost when he puts these artificial brain areas in the Bajoran guy's brain and, sure enough, when the Bajoran is conscious again he says that everything feels different and off. Later on, the Bajoran has some sort of stroke and is near death. Kira wants Bashir to replace the guy's entire brain with a positronic brain, but Bashir says that if he did that the spark of life would be entirely gone from the guy and that they should just let him die. And, sure enough, they just let the guy die. Uhh...that's a pretty big gently caress you to Data, who apparently doesn't have this magical spark of life because his brain is a completely artifical positronic brain. Granted, Data didn't start off as an organic person and then get changed into an artificial person, he was artificial from the start, but still. It's also a pretty big rebuke to people who want to upload their consciousness to a computer or the cloud or whatever, since they wouldn't have this spark of life anymore either. I mean, replacing someone's brain with an artificial brain is problematic, but the whole story line had a little too much of a religious feel for a star trek ep.
That episode is kind of weird in that it suggests that Bashir can just give the guy an artificial positronic brain, even though TNG established that the Federation has not been able to replicate Data's kind of technology....

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Cythereal posted:

The E-D is a bloated whale of a ship, sorry, easily my least favorite of the various Enterprise designs. My favorite two, though, have by far the least amount of screen time: the Excelsior class E-B and the Ambassador class E-C.

B > A > C > original > E > D

I love TNG but the galaxy class is dumb.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Galaxy class with a round and proportionally-sized saucer would be tremendously good imo. From certain angles the Galaxy still looks really good, it's just top-heavy and unbalanced looking.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Galaxy class with a round and proportionally-sized saucer would be tremendously good imo. From certain angles the Galaxy still looks really good, it's just top-heavy and unbalanced looking.

Straighten up the angles a little bit and you have the much better Ambassador class.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

In a way, yes, but the Ambassador suffers from being a quick "missing-link" type design rather than a full iteration of its own. It feels clunky and a little incomplete to me.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Ambassador class looks great except for the ugly rear end Excelsior style nacelle struts

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It's also a pretty big rebuke to people who want to upload their consciousness to a computer or the cloud or whatever, since they wouldn't have this spark of life anymore either. I mean, replacing someone's brain with an artificial brain is problematic, but the whole story line had a little too much of a religious feel for a star trek ep.
I think that you have to keep in mind a couple of things here, one of which is that the show was made in the 1990s and I don't believe the gospel of brain uploading had become widely accepted even in California.

Leaving aside any completely hilarious jokes about Bajorans being untermenschen, Bareil if I recall had a progressive disease and needed ongoing resectioning. Presumably if he had had just one major incident and had to get a positronic implant as a brain prosthetic, he would have been considered to eventually recover, while a galloping staged brain replacement was altering the old Ship of Theseus so quickly that it would cause injury.

I also think you would be consistent if you said "Data started as a positronic brain and is a unique person" and "if someone uploads their brain into a positronic brain, that brain is not the original person," because nothing in 2. there says it's not a person, just not the ORIGINAL person.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Bareill wakes up and says something like food and smells are off -- basically they're being processed in a way that doesnt jive with his feeling/memory of them.

I know a lot of the particulars are odd (it not being standard Trek, positronic tech), but drat if that little exchange didnt get me thinking on all that Mind Body duality stuff and question the concept of just uploading yourself to the computer hive mind.

I chose not to think of it as the meatstuff being a requisite for his soul, but rather that the full prosthesis would create such a sense of otherworldlyness that it would affect his interactions.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FilthyImp posted:

Bareill wakes up and says something like food and smells are off -- basically they're being processed in a way that doesnt jive with his feeling/memory of them.

I know a lot of the particulars are odd (it not being standard Trek, positronic tech), but drat if that little exchange didnt get me thinking on all that Mind Body duality stuff and question the concept of just uploading yourself to the computer hive mind.

I chose not to think of it as the meatstuff being a requisite for his soul, but rather that the full prosthesis would create such a sense of otherworldlyness that it would affect his interactions.
My own take is that what you could call the "soul" is kind of a gestalt so major and unexpected alterations of the constituent parts, especially in sequence, could in fact harm your "identity." This might in some cases be positive (curing a disability) but could also be destructive (Bareil's case). In some cases the pieces might get so jumbled up that they can't grow back together, or take so long and have such a different result that continuity is lost.

e: To be clear, curing disabilities are positive, but they would change your perspective on yourself

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

FilthyImp posted:

That duality got shot in the face (pun intended) by the case of Finneaus Gage. Your mind is a phenomenon generated by your body; change your body, change your mind.

The comforting thing is that, if you WERE to upload, it's no different than aging in that your current substrate is different than the older one at a given time point.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mycomancy posted:

That duality got shot in the face (pun intended) by the case of Finneaus Gage. Your mind is a phenomenon generated by your body; change your body, change your mind.

Phineas Gage is one of those massively exaggerated stories that keeps getting further distorted with each telling. It doesn't help that the main source on him is a phrenologist who very much wanted to fit his observations to his theory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage#Exaggeration_and_distortion_of_mental_changes

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kaysette posted:

B > A > C > original > E > D

I love TNG but the galaxy class is dumb.

I realize the Star Trek thread is the epicenter of all bad goon opinions, but get a load of this whopper
:captainpop:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The biggest flaw with that episode was that Bareil was pretty soulless and robotic before the brain replacement. For it to work they needed to have actually cast a charismatic actor in the first place.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Tunicate posted:

Phineas Gage is one of those massively exaggerated stories that keeps getting further distorted with each telling. It doesn't help that the main source on him is a phrenologist who very much wanted to fit his observations to his theory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage#Exaggeration_and_distortion_of_mental_changes

Well today I learned. Thanks.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Tsaedje posted:

The biggest flaw with that episode was that Bareil was pretty soulless and robotic before the brain replacement. For it to work they needed to have actually cast a charismatic actor in the first place.

See I've never got this. I found him very charismatic and charming, just in that very understated, and... well, monk-like sort of way.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Well, does the episode offer any indication that the prosthetic brain implants can function equal to or better than the portions of the brain they replace? If they aren't as good, there would definitely be some loss with each replacement regardless of any distinctions between soul, mind, and body.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

A holy person acts measured and calm a lot of the time. News at eleven.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hipster_Doofus posted:

See I've never got this. I found him very charismatic and charming, just in that very understated, and... well, monk-like sort of way.

I hated him my first watch through, but my second watch through currently ongoing I think he's pretty cool

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Honestly, if you want uncharismatic and dull, you want Shakar, not Bareil.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Nodosaur posted:

Honestly, if you want uncharismatic and dull, you want Shakar, not Bareil.

Yeah this. That guy did nothing for me, and the actor was pretty sub-par to boot.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Grilka is the best lady in Star Trek and Quark should have re-married her immediately

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
None of Kira's love interests impressed me, honestly. The only person I felt she had believable chemistry with was Sisko.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cythereal posted:

None of Kira's love interests impressed me, honestly. The only person I felt she had believable chemistry with was Sisko.

Alternate Universe Kira.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pick posted:

Alternate Universe Kira.

Nana Visitor went on record as hating the show made Intendant Kira a nymphomaniacal vamp. She said she played her in the first episode as a psychotic narcissist, and her creepy come-ons to regular Kira were an extension of her being extremely vain and superficial.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I agree that it was cheap and stupid but that's the dark universe all over!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Data made the argument in Measure of a Man that if you took him apart he might not have that spark upon reassembly. Also Kirk had his brain transferred into a computer orb thingy so presumably federation tech just isn't up to snuff for a complete brain replacement. Also the man in question is literally the second highest rank in Bajoran religion so I think it's fair to guess that he's a bit religious.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Roddenberry sci-fi wants to show you that the future of "evolution" is psychic powers and becoming a trans-dimensional non-corporeal being that can manipulate reality on a whim, while genetic engineering and cybernetics lies the way of the devil. Which makes it all the more hilarious that Star Trek is always characterized as the materialist franchise and Star Wars the spiritualist one

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I'm rewatching Enterprise and really liking it

It's a very cozy Trek, not a lot of loud noises or yelling, just the dulcet tones of Phlox and scott bakula

Phlox owns btw

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Low Desert Punk posted:

I'm rewatching Enterprise and really liking it

It's a very cozy Trek, not a lot of loud noises or yelling, just the dulcet tones of Phlox and scott bakula

Phlox owns btw
gently caress Dr 'Mengele' Phlox.

There's a bit in the DS9 Companion where the writers talk about "who can we cybo-brainise without anyone caring? Uh... Bareil! Nobody gives a crap about him!" and being very surprised to get a load of angry mail from women who actually did give a crap.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I'm watching Babylon 5. It's weird but I like it. There's a giant rear end space cricket just hanging out in the smoke machine room what the eff. Many people in weird make up sitting around conference tables yelling at each other so it's peak Trek.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Payndz posted:

gently caress Dr 'Mengele' Phlox.

There's a bit in the DS9 Companion where the writers talk about "who can we cybo-brainise without anyone caring? Uh... Bareil! Nobody gives a crap about him!" and being very surprised to get a load of angry mail from women who actually did give a crap.

Braga wrote a lot of pretty good Trek episodes but when he wrote bad ones holy gently caress did he write bad ones.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

jeeves posted:

You mean the uniforms that they didn't even bother to make-- ie: Riker wearing Sisko's one?

No, they blew a chunk of the budget making entirely new uniforms that were kind of a blend of the TNG uniforms with the TOS film uniforms and then didn't use them at all.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

HIJK posted:

I'm watching Babylon 5. It's weird but I like it. There's a giant rear end space cricket just hanging out in the smoke machine room what the eff. Many people in weird make up sitting around conference tables yelling at each other so it's peak Trek.

It is good in season 1, but it takes off in season 2. I'm a fan of Star Trek (obviously) but my great sci-fi love is Babylon 5.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

McNally posted:

No, they blew a chunk of the budget making entirely new uniforms that were kind of a blend of the TNG uniforms with the TOS film uniforms and then didn't use them at all.

The sad thing is they’re really not bad looking uniforms. My only nitpick is that they should have had open jacket hems, not tucked sweater hems like the TNG tv unis. I honestly prefer them to the black and grey ones, but they would have looked odd on DS9.

Phoneposting, or else I’d link a pic of the concepts.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Autism Sneaks posted:

Roddenberry sci-fi wants to show you that the future of "evolution" is psychic powers and becoming a trans-dimensional non-corporeal being that can manipulate reality on a whim, while genetic engineering and cybernetics lies the way of the devil. Which makes it all the more hilarious that Star Trek is always characterized as the materialist franchise and Star Wars the spiritualist one

Roddenberry was both deeply humanist and very spiritual, and in popular consciousness these are usually seen as contradictory beliefs. Roddenberry, though, believed that mankind had limitless potential to better ourselves and become a higher state of being.

The whole arc with Q points to that being quite deliberately a part of Trek. We know from TNG, VOY, and ENT that the Federation eventually absorbs the entire Milky Way, starts sending expeditions to other galaxies in the 26th century, and explores and patrols time itself by the 29th. Combined with Q, the implication is clearly that humanity is on track to become beings like the Q in time, and Q is here to help teach and guide the most promising of humanity as they move down that path.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The sad thing is they’re really not bad looking uniforms. My only nitpick is that they should have had open jacket hems, not tucked sweater hems like the TNG tv unis. I honestly prefer them to the black and grey ones, but they would have looked odd on DS9.

Phoneposting, or else I’d link a pic of the concepts.

It might've worked better in concept, we never got to see it clearly on a person.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Well, does the episode offer any indication that the prosthetic brain implants can function equal to or better than the portions of the brain they replace? If they aren't as good, there would definitely be some loss with each replacement regardless of any distinctions between soul, mind, and body.

Yeah, they didn't replicate Data's brain tech, the stuff Bashir was using was based on Soong-style positronics but not up to the same level, and definitely not up to the level of perfectly replicating organic neurological function. Brain uploading is a transhumanist pipe dream anyway, it makes tons of assumptions about neurology and consciousness that may not (and given similar revelations in complexity about genetics and cloning in recent years, almost certainly will not) hold up as the science is further refined.