Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I recommend we use the tractor beam to alter the thread's trajectory. :geno:

Decompress the shuttlebay. The explosive reaction might kick us out of TVIV.

EDIT: What a way to start a page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

All that hair is as wild and different and varied as federation starships. Basically all the same.

The costumes do get confusing sometimes, mainly because of the whole screwy color thing. It was a bit of an odd decision to have a different dress uniform to the service uniform, but it's weirder when they did it in later series and the dress uniform was almost exactly the same as the service uniform. Also the impossibly expensive but totally unimpressive and drab grey jumpsuits.

I think my favorite trek uniforms are the Wrath of Khan engineer outfits.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Decompress the shuttlebay. The explosive reaction might kick us out of TVIV.

EDIT: What a way to start a page.

Make this a travelling thread. Mods, please!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Tunicate posted:

Make this a travelling thread. Mods, please!

This, but for a Space:1999 thread.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

The_Doctor posted:

They have the somewhat flimsy excuse it’s Neelix writing these recipes, and a creole jambalaya would contain tomatoes unlike a cajun one, but the rest of it is utter rubbish.

BAKED?! :gowron: :wtc:

Also lol potatoes

Siskos dad looks very upset about the jambalaya

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I have to assume that someone at the book publisher just used the terrible old-timey internet to look up recipes and grabbed the first one they saw for each dish and didn't notice some of them were joke recipes because I'm a midwestern white guy and even I know that's not how you make jambalaya.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1302771351036592129?s=20

Show looks so good like this. :sigh:

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

gently caress that makeup holds up so well in HD

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
that is a super cool station design tbh. i've always liked it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I wonder if they went in and digitally fixed Weyoun's contact lenses. They slipped around all the time and were noticeable in SD.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Strong Convections posted:

The more confusing inaccuracy is that he's using pounds and fahrenheit when I thought it was established that the Federation was using sensible units?

Fahrenheit is the sensible unit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It was pretty impressive to see DS9 on the big screen in HD when that doc came out

Sadly I feel like it's going to be awhile before the series gets done. Although we're getting to the point where it becomes cheaper/easier all the time.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
HD DS9 ain’t happening unless it’s a fan passion project, and even then it’s just a matter of how far they’ll get before CBS inevitably tries to shut them down.

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006
Sorry to go back to Neelix's cookbook after those cool HD DS9 screenshots. But I also came across that cookbook thanks to a white elephant a few years back. By far the most interesting part was the behind-the-scenes commentaries about how much loving sheet cake they bought from LA bakeries to get the Deanna Troi cellular peptide cake just right.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

happyhippy posted:

Hair, hair, hair, hair, dead tribble, dead tribble.

not dead, sleeping

kirk used to surreptitiously feed it during meetings as a power move

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Sash! posted:

Fahrenheit is the sensible unit.
Oh yeah, sure. Let's set our 0 at the freezing point of a random brine mixture, and our hundred around the temperature of human blood, but not quite.
Water ice at 0 and boiling at 100? Get out of here and get your head checked by a qualified phrenologist!

8one6 posted:

I have to assume that someone at the book publisher just used the terrible old-timey internet to look up recipes and grabbed the first one they saw for each dish and didn't notice some of them were joke recipes because I'm a midwestern white guy and even I know that's not how you make jambalaya.
I assume they thought their audience was basement dwellers who would never actually use the book to cook anything, so it didn't matter. And you don't want to run into any legal issues by accidentally having a recipe that resembles something already published.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Strong Convections posted:

Oh yeah, sure. Let's set our 0 at the freezing point of a random brine mixture, and our hundred around the temperature of human blood, but not quite.
Water ice at 0 and boiling at 100? Get out of here and get your head checked by a qualified phrenologist!

Americans are always like "it's more intuitiveeeeeeeeee" even though any seeming intuitiveness is because it's what they're used to and if you're raised with celsius then that scale is perfectly intuitive instead.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It's more granular... if 0 F was "water freezes" and 100 F was "average human body temperature when healthy," maybe they'd have something to talk about.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah but, to generalise massively, unless you're a scientist (in which case you don't care about having to use decimal points) nobody who uses fahrenheit ever bothers with temperatures more granular than multiples of five degrees F anyway.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Don't worry, Americans will have finally accepted that Celsius is superior by 2024 according to DS9.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Don't worry, Americans will have finally accepted that Celsius is superior by 2024 according to DS9.

Sounds like there's hope of avoiding hellworld yet, then.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Yeah but, to generalise massively, unless you're a scientist (in which case you don't care about having to use decimal points) nobody who uses fahrenheit ever bothers with temperatures more granular than multiples of five degrees F anyway.

Spoken like a person that's never waged an endless war of 72 vs 74 on the thermostat.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

MikeJF posted:

Americans are always like "it's more intuitiveeeeeeeeee" even though any seeming intuitiveness is because it's what they're used to and if you're raised with celsius then that scale is perfectly intuitive instead.

Reminds me of some reddit construction guy that claimed that imperial units are perfect for construction and when asked for proofs he said something like 'standard something is X bald eagles and that's exactly Y hamburgers so this is perfect, unlike your centimeters to meters conversion thing'

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 7, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Reminds me of some reddit construction guy that claimed that imperial units are perfect for construction and when asked for proofs he said something like 'standard something is X bald eagles and that's exactly Y hamburgers so this is perfect, unlike your centimeters to meters conversion thing'

Omg too confusing with the Latin and the multiples of ten (ten!? How arbitrary!) when you could just have 32.26 Large Pebbles per Cinderblock and everyone knows how much a Large Pebble is and

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I hate to break it to you, but we've been stuck in the mirror universe since about 2000.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What temperature is correct might be the dumbest nationalist dick waving contest

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

here i found a solution

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Brawnfire posted:

Omg too confusing with the Latin and the multiples of ten (ten!? How arbitrary!) when you could just have 32.26 Large Pebbles per Cinderblock and everyone knows how much a Large Pebble is and

The whole concept of 'just add a zero or remove the last number' is so very hard.

BTW NASA lost money due to the difference in systems https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter (and I guess there might must be more lesser known cases) and goddamn it's heartbreaking to see traditions and habits win over science.

ps
afair USA once passed a law that made metric official but

found it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_Conversion_Act

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 7, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The rest of the metric system has the excuse of simpler unit conversions (although most people using metric don't seem to actually bother with unit conversions), but Celsius doesn't. There's not really much advantage to having a larger degree or pegging the scale to whatever the hell point, and anybody who tries to concoct some reason why actually that's way better is accidentally making arguments against the rest of the metric system which has smaller units and is more arbitrarily pegged to constants.

Nobody remembers the metric calendar either with 10 days in a week because it sucked rear end having to work more days straight until the weekend.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

They should bring back the 13 month calendar imo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CBS is trying to make September 8th Star Trek Day, presumably because they got jealous of all the free publicity Star Wars gets on May 4th.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I don't think there's anything special in-universe about that day. First Contact Day is on April 5, an unfortunate coincidence because it'd unintentionally make it sound even more derivative.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's the anniversary of the premiere.

Yeah, in-universe you've got Federation Day on April 5 and Captain Picard Day on June 16th, the latter of which the nerdier fans already celebrate.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

happyhippy posted:

Hair, hair, hair, hair, dead tribble, dead tribble.

theyre all dead tribbles actually

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

AntherUslessPoster posted:

The whole concept of 'just add a zero or remove the last number' is so very hard.

BTW NASA lost money due to the difference in systems https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter (and I guess there might must be more lesser known cases) and goddamn it's heartbreaking to see traditions and habits win over science.

That's something of a myth. Read the accident report. It was a matter of failing to execute a known course issue.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MikeJF posted:

It's the anniversary of the premiere.

Yeah, in-universe you've got Federation Day on April 5 and Captain Picard Day on June 16th, the latter of which the nerdier fans already celebrate.
April 5th is First Contact Day

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

HD DS9 ain’t happening unless it’s a fan passion project, and even then it’s just a matter of how far they’ll get before CBS inevitably tries to shut them down.

The good news is that by the time the technology to do that becomes available to the average person they'll be able to upres Babylon 5 as well

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Zurui posted:

here i found a solution

That's... really intuitive.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I was thinking I'd do a truncated TNG rewatch with my uninitiated spouse starting with season 3, but I'm not sure I want to start her with Wesley creating a new species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

PerniciousKnid posted:

I was thinking I'd do a truncated TNG rewatch with my uninitiated spouse starting with season 3, but I'm not sure I want to start her with Wesley creating a new species.

i was just thinking, as i re-watch s1 and s2, that i will continue to recommend they not be skipped.

there is definitely a lot of dud episodes but they also develop the characters a lot in those two seasons imo

E: i just intentionally watched Pen Pals again, it isnt as bad as i remember
e2: the royale was pretty much as bad as i remember.

Worf fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 7, 2020