Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Also, I would guess that just like today, if you went into a restaurant from a culture/alien race you weren't intimately familiar with, you'd expect to find at least a few things on the menu you've never even heard of. I assume you could go "computer, list and describe popular Ethiopian dinner entrees" and have the replicator make one that sounded good, but it wouldn't really be the same.

Eddington actually just suffered from choice overload whenever he ordered from a replicator, and so just ordered exactly the same meal every time until he was stuck on a colony where he had to eat whatever was available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mirror Georgiou angrily trying to work around the intelligent species meat lockouts on the replicator

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Mirror Georgiou angrily trying to work around the intelligent species meat lockouts on the replicator

"what if it was a really stupid Andorian?!"

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Seeing as how the replicators serve a lot of people, with different needs and preferences, yet will also complain about nutrition when somebody gets too clever with it, I think we can assume that replicator recipes are generally made to appeal to the common denominator, while being good for you. A "cheeseburger" will give you something akin to a McDonald's cheeseburger made out of high-tech health-conscious faux-meat etc.

Simply spending time with the replicator to make something not standardized to appeal across the galaxy is going to be a big improvement for many, which is why we see it as a common date activity. Likewise, tracking down real food will give you those life-shortening but yummy fats and sugars that starfleet ideology cannot make our lizard brain stop craving.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 11, 2021

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lizard Combatant posted:

My take on replicated food is that it's indistinguishable from the real deal except that that it's always the same. Ordering a cheeseburger or a loaf of bread is always the same recipe unless someone programs their own take. A tomato is always the same tomato over and over. There's a difference between replicating the raw ingredients and making it yourself and even more so when you grow the food. It's not that it tastes worse, just that after decades of eating it you can tell the difference.

That's the impression I got from the show anyway.

Which is why the Mars workers in Picard complaining about their Hungry Man dinners seemed off.

That Picard scene would have been fine too if they just had a throw away line about running on reduced power or something due to all the extra ship production going on in a hurry, or something. Instead it was just a baffling 20th century coded thing from lazy writers.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I have to think there's a large prestige thing too. Like you can replicate any clothes you want but Garak still does business. In the same way people today will spend more for the skilled labour of a handcrafted item even if it's not strictly better.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's still doing that poo poo? I thought Paramount C&D'd him?

The lawsuit was settled a few years ago. As part of the settlement, Peters said that he would no longer try to do any crowdfunding for Axanar (something that he backtracked on before the ink was dry).

He's a colossal shithead.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

The lawsuit was settled a few years ago. As part of the settlement, Peters said that he would no longer try to do any crowdfunding for Axanar (something that he backtracked on before the ink was dry).

Right and I guess Paramount doesn’t care what he’s doing?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Paramount actually keeps trying to take a hit out on him but all the bounty hunters they hire think he's too pathetic to kill

"This guy's life is an amateur Star Trek production? To the point he's tried to defend it in court, lost, and kept on trying? That's... Nah, not me. Find someone more coldblooded."

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I just saw the TNG 2-parter 'Gambit' and I thought it was fantastic.

I'm almost done with this TNG rewatch, so far I had a wonderful time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

My take on replicated food is that it's indistinguishable from the real deal except that that it's always the same. Ordering a cheeseburger or a loaf of bread is always the same recipe unless someone programs their own take. A tomato is always the same tomato over and over. There's a difference between replicating the raw ingredients and making it yourself and even more so when you grow the food. It's not that it tastes worse, just that after decades of eating it you can tell the difference.

That's the impression I got from the show anyway.

Which is why the Mars workers in Picard complaining about their Hungry Man dinners seemed off.

There's no reason to make replicators worse than perfect. There's something to be said about the nostalgia and homesickness felt or alleviated through food, you can certainly psyche yourself into enjoying food less, the enjoyment of any given meal is more than just the taste alone. But the taste part is perfect, down to the molecular level. It wouldn't be the same every time, it would be trivial to replicate a variety of the same ingredients so that not every meal is atomically identical, they can program in a wilted tomato and lettuce sometimes if you love that gamble. They could also choose to make perfectly identical copies every time, I reckon there are plenty of folks for one reason or other prefer to eat the same predictable things forever, provides a comfort to them in another way. It's a magic box that can make anything and also deconstruct anything.

I can't pretend to know what contrivances could explain that mars slop in-universe, but given the technology of replicators, it was someone's choice to make the food that particular way.

Having amazing food would be a top priority on starships and remote research bases and camps. SmarterEveryDay dude did a series of vids in a nuclear submarine and there was a lot of resources, time, energy, thought, put into the meals since it was a huge component of morale and keeping folks working optimally with weird schedules and being trapped in relatively tight quarters. Have seen similar vids about Antarctic facilities where even with very limited resupply and stuff they put a lot of energy into making even endless leftovers recycling into something folks enjoy and look forward to.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/azGTKkY.mp4

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
bout time they updated graphing calculators

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

John F Bennett posted:

I just saw the TNG 2-parter 'Gambit' and I thought it was fantastic.

It's a fun change of pace, in large part because they finally got a violate a Roddenberry Rule and do space pirates.

The Gol Stone is a little underwhelming as a weapon, though. It can kill one person at a time, at close range, and then only if the target is in an aggressive mood. I mean, a bog standard phaser would do the same job better and more reliably. Still, it does make for a nice little piece of symbolism about peace overcoming violence, so hey, I'll take it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Powered Descent posted:

It's a fun change of pace, in large part because they finally got a violate a Roddenberry Rule and do space pirates.

The Gol Stone is a little underwhelming as a weapon, though. It can kill one person at a time, at close range, and then only if the target is in an aggressive mood. I mean, a bog standard phaser would do the same job better and more reliably. Still, it does make for a nice little piece of symbolism about peace overcoming violence, so hey, I'll take it.

I've always assumed it's way more impressive when you're fighting an entire army. Just thousands of people charging over a hill and then the Gol Stone uses all of the aggression and releases a big psychic kill wave.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Khanstant posted:

Plus if everyone was like "oh boy this replicator perfect food is so great, not looking forward to having to eat dirty ol' ground food some folks put their hands and skin cells into" then Neelix would be out of a job nobody gave him.

I'm not sure if I'm missing some sarcasm, but the Voyager crew's constantly complaining about Neelix's cooking, and replicator rations are viewed as a treat.

Granted the complaint is less that someone manually cooked it and more that Neelix is bad at cooking (or is limited by the available ingredients).

Powered Descent posted:

I've read the anecdote where they got Berman to grudgingly grant dispensation to break the rule, but honestly it had already been broken with Rascals (and Samaritan Snare, arguably).

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
In my head canon the computer remembers your preferences and people who serve on starships and eat replicated food every day spend a bunch of free time tweaking the recipes. This conflicts with Picard always having to specify Earl Grey and the temperature though. The computer should know which tea he wants if he doesn't specify. Maybe he's just weird and never bothered to program the thing, like people who don't use bookmarks and just Google for their email every day.

They don't taste "right" though because like people are saying even with crazy future technology you can't make a hamburger, fries and milkshake that perfectly fits your nutrition needs and also tastes like the version with 800% of your recommended daily fat.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Don't you see?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm not sure if I'm missing some sarcasm, but the Voyager crew's constantly complaining about Neelix's cooking, and replicator rations are viewed as a treat.

Granted the complaint is less that someone manually cooked it and more that Neelix is bad at cooking (or is limited by the available ingredients).

I've read the anecdote where they got Berman to grudgingly grant dispensation to break the rule, but honestly it had already been broken with Rascals (and Samaritan Snare, arguably).

Yeah I was just taking a swipe at Neelix.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

They don't taste "right" though because like people are saying even with crazy future technology you can't make a hamburger, fries and milkshake that perfectly fits your nutrition needs and also tastes like the version with 800% of your recommended daily fat.

That's the one area where my idea of perfect replication breaks down. It's hard for me to imagine something that is supposed to taste like fat and sugar exactly, to the molecular level, which would mean it is atomically what you'd expect including the nutritional value of the og food material. Even though it's scifi and you work backwards from the conclusion that they somehow made unhealthy food healthy. If I were in charge you'd eat the unhealthy food and they just beam the food out of your intestines and beam in the good nutrients in their place. Then again that'd be a mindfuck to eat something and then either get no expected burps or burps of different food.

You know what, I bet farting a burping is eliminated a bunch by the scifi nutrition. Maybe in Trek farts aren't funny anymore, they're worrying, an open sign of illness.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Khanstant posted:

Yeah I was just taking a swipe at Neelix.

That's the one area where my idea of perfect replication breaks down. It's hard for me to imagine something that is supposed to taste like fat and sugar exactly, to the molecular level, which would mean it is atomically what you'd expect including the nutritional value of the og food material. Even though it's scifi and you work backwards from the conclusion that they somehow made unhealthy food healthy. If I were in charge you'd eat the unhealthy food and they just beam the food out of your intestines and beam in the good nutrients in their place. Then again that'd be a mindfuck to eat something and then either get no expected burps or burps of different food.

You know what, I bet farting a burping is eliminated a bunch by the scifi nutrition. Maybe in Trek farts aren't funny anymore, they're worrying, an open sign of illness.
It is a little weird to think of it being adjusted nutritionally yet also tasting same-y constantly. I can absolutely believe they can make convincing and tasty low-cal high-nutrient versions of various dishes - hell, they probably even have versions for different species.

I think they haven't cured farts, but that's because of Bolian lobbying

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Well now it just sounds funny.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6N44gup2TE

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Powered Descent posted:

Roddenberry didn't want space pirates?
WANT.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Where will YOU be when the inertial dampeners fail?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Depends how far away (and how strong) the wall behind me is.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Timby posted:

Hard to tell if he's still funding the studios, but he is now selling multiple brands of 'Axanar swag' that ranges from $8-14 pins to $90 resin kits and models of his imaginary StarFleet ships along with a gaggle of T-shirts to $300 'pretend my ship is canon' USS Ares plaques. He even has the gall to sell 'Mystery Boxes' which might contain his toupee from Axanar or torn up fragments of utility bills his studio runs up.

Particularly slimy is that he's selling 8 * 10 glossies of Richard Hatch dressed as Kharn, the Klingon war leader from his weird little film. Hatch is dead, but Peters somehow hornswoggled him into signing a stack of those glosses at some point before he died. He's selling Tony Todd ones for $50..

Most of his merchandise appears to have been created to steadfastly avoid copyrighted material but drat some of it is so close..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 12, 2021

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
You can make a replicator make something that is bad for you if you specifically request it, such as non-synthahol booze, but most standard recipes appear to be created with nutrition in mind, so much so that if you simply ask for a chocolate cake you will get something that is good for you. That's got to affect flavor. Even if we set aside this compromise, the lack of variation and presumably bland standardization, replicator recipes are only as good as the person programming them, with examples of characters claiming recipes sometime come close but miss essential elements, presumably because of ignorance or insufficient skill.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Awesome.

Wanna replace that screen with OLED, though, LCD backlighting doesn't work great with the LCARS look. Needs perfect black.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Roddenberry didn't want space pirates?

He hated the idea, he thought it was a cheap and played-out trope.

Berman kept a bust of Roddenberry on his desk, and (the story goes) he put a blindfold on it when they were writing Gambit.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

He hated the idea, he thought it was a cheap and played-out trope.

Berman kept a bust of Roddenberry on his desk, and (the story goes) he put a blindfold on it when they were writing Gambit.

I'm amused by the notion that Rick Berman had both the sense of shame and self awareness to even do that.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

nine-gear crow posted:

Don't run across the bridge when the captain says, "Brace for impact."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qKs5MnrFl0

Also on replicator chat, how does programming it work? Does some pointdexter have to code in a mass of molecular diagrams, or can you just slam your mom's famous chilli into the replicator and say, "Computer, decompile and save as pattern 'Chilli'."?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Shyrka posted:

Don't run across the bridge when the captain says, "Brace for impact."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qKs5MnrFl0

Also on replicator chat, how does programming it work? Does some pointdexter have to code in a mass of molecular diagrams, or can you just slam your mom's famous chilli into the replicator and say, "Computer, decompile and save as pattern 'Chilli'."?

Don't see why the latter wouldn't work. Probably the early models had to be manually programmed. That would have been fun to see in Enterprise, like so many other things that were not in Enterprise.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Shyrka posted:

I can see it doing that easily.

On a related note, I reason that there’s a bunch of minute variation in meals. For example, I can imagine there’s about 20 different cheeseburgers programmed into the replicator, all the same bun, meat, cheese combo recipe, but with minor variations on salt, fat, seasoning, etc, so you’re not getting exactly the same cheeseburger every time.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Everyone is a programmer on star trek.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

John F Bennett posted:

The dream of my high school counselor, realized at last.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

My personal head-canon is that Starfleet is held together by an extensive black market of people programming and trading replicator recipes. Probably with incredibly long preambles "ohh I learnt this recipe on a trip to an Andorian spice-freighter, it was given to me by a yadda yadda yadda"

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

My personal head-canon is that Starfleet is held together by an extensive black market of people programming and trading replicator recipes. Probably with incredibly long preambles "ohh I learnt this recipe on a trip to an Andorian spice-freighter, it was given to me by a yadda yadda yadda"

It's the real reason that they transfer crew around. Gotta swap recipies.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Starfleet legit does nothing until there's a full-on crisis, the rest of the time it's a galactic smorgasbord

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Season 2 of DS9 was as huge a jump as TNG had from 1 to 2, and it already started much better. I just got to the mirror universe episode and it was cool to see Sisko as a jaunty pirate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Shyrka posted:

can you just slam your mom's famous chilli into the replicator and say, "Computer, decompile and save as pattern 'Chilli'."?

This is half of how the transporter works, so one can only assume they can make a copy of some chili.