Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tunicate posted:

the back and forth with spock and mccoy comes across as friendly bantering
since data doesn't do any of the 'forth', pulaski comes across as bullying instead

I dunno, "One is my name, the other is not" is a pretty good data slam.

Also the main point of contention with that episode in particular isn't so much her interaction with data, so much as it supports her refusal to accept technology as the right choice instead of a personal failing. She's like a middle manager of today saying that people can't do their jobs remotely they have to come in and talk around the water cooler.

And instead of her going "hey maybe next time i'll just use one of the 10s of thousands of loving space sensors that can see a microbe 5 lightyears away, instead of going off of vibes" she's right and that's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

By the end of the season, Pulaski had grown in respect for Data and even encouraged him when he had a crisis of confidence in Peak Performance.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CainFortea posted:

I dunno, "One is my name, the other is not" is a pretty good data slam.

Also the main point of contention with that episode in particular isn't so much her interaction with data, so much as it supports her refusal to accept technology as the right choice instead of a personal failing. She's like a middle manager of today saying that people can't do their jobs remotely they have to come in and talk around the water cooler.

And instead of her going "hey maybe next time i'll just use one of the 10s of thousands of loving space sensors that can see a microbe 5 lightyears away, instead of going off of vibes" she's right and that's that.

The thing is, that burn is just Data pushing back on her disrespecting him, he doesn't push back and poo poo-talk her the way Spock would McCoy, so it still feels one-sided, even if Data isn't totally passive.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
were there ever any plans for pulaski to appear beyond season 2? it seems like "peak performance" was trying to set her up as finally accepting data as a crew member. i wonder if they were ever going to go anywhere with it

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Beeftweeter posted:

were there ever any plans for pulaski to appear beyond season 2? it seems like "peak performance" was trying to set her up as finally accepting data as a crew member. i wonder if they were ever going to go anywhere with it

Diana Muldaur had a very rough time on the set of TNG. For starters, she was paid more than any of the main cast (she was always credited as "special guest star," which carries a pretty big per-episode paycheck), and that created some natural isolation between her and the rest of the cast.

Second, she had a very tough time delivering a lot of the Treknobabble and often required multiple takes to get it right.

So she had an offer to join L.A. Law, and after Maurice Hurley was fired, Rick Berman personally reached out to Gates McFadden and said, "Look, that shithead who harassed you is gone, we'd love to have you back."

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
I wonder if there was any consideration to bringing Pulaski back in ‘Ethics’ as the spine surgery expert.

Probably not, but in retrospect it seems a great opportunity.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

zoux posted:

I like the sentiment here, so I'm not calling Sean out, but I wanted to ask our non-genderconforming friends if you see gender issues as presented in the Trill are analogous to the issues that transgender people have to deal with. I think in terms of acceptance it is, Koloth, Kor, and Kang don't care (woke Klingons!) and Sisko is enthusiastic about meeting Jadzia, gender is never an issue besides him calling Dax "old man" playfully. It's never an issue that Lenara Kahn was within a woman's body instead of a man's, I don't know if it's even alluded to.

Basically I just wanna know if transgender star trek fans feel repped by Dax? It's a completely fictional set up that dodges a lot of the problems that transgender folks face because they don't live in a society that unconditionally accepts that gender isn't set, so does that get in the way?

To respond to this, no I don’t think Dax is a GREAT example of a trans character. However, the whole “oh uh last time I knew this person I had a different name/body/gender” thing is a legit social problem for a lot of trans folks, and Dax was a pretty big inspiration for many nerdy trans girls, so it makes sense to “claim” her as trans. Basically don’t put Dax on a list of Good Trans Characters In Media but if a trans person goes for it it makes sense. I don’t think Sean is being performative or wrong there.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The only other really bad Season 2 episode is The Child, which I would say no one mentioned.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i looked into a bit after posting that and i lol'd at these bits on her wiki page:

quote:

"We needed someone with a little more of an edge," Rick Berman explained of the choice. "Kate's a strong, confident woman with an edge who can hold her own with Captain Picard. Their relationship is not all that unlike the one between Kirk and McCoy ... although from the onset we had no intention of trying to duplicate the original team."

well thanks for that rick, let's see what muldaur says herself

quote:

I hadn't kept in touch with Gene over the years. I'd only done a pilot of his, Planet Earth, in 1974, so this call was totally out of the blue. I love being back in Star Trek. It's a challenge, but a healthy challenge. I find so much TV depressing—even the sitcoms. The chances of shows working and being funny or meaningful are very slim, but this show is very exciting. It has such an uplifting view of humanity in the 24th century. They want the crafty old doctor, so basically I'm a woman Dr. McCoy.

:allears:

this bit about the character's relationships with picard and data was also pretty interesting

quote:

We've been in a fairly stormy relationship due to two very strong personalities, but we end up admiring each other. I'm also giving Brent Spiner (as the android, Data) a very hard time, treating him as a total machine, because that's how I see him, a machine that I can't treat and I don't deal with. But I'm also beginning to see the wonderful android that he is.

Timby posted:

Diana Muldaur had a very rough time on the set of TNG. For starters, she was paid more than any of the main cast (she was always credited as "special guest star," which carries a pretty big per-episode paycheck), and that created some natural isolation between her and the rest of the cast.

Second, she had a very tough time delivering a lot of the Treknobabble and often required multiple takes to get it right.

So she had an offer to join L.A. Law, and after Maurice Hurley was fired, Rick Berman personally reached out to Gates McFadden and said, "Look, that shithead who harassed you is gone, we'd love to have you back."

it's a shame she didn't enjoy her time on the show. even if she didn't want to become a main cast member some actual guest star slots could have been interesting in the following seasons

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
All I know (being cis) is that whenever the "Curzon, my dear old frield!" "I'm Jadzia now" "Jadzia, my dear old friend!" meme shows up on Twitter, it's cute, so

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Btw, the only Mr. Plinkett impression I can do is "gently caress you, Rick Berman!" and I try to do it at the end of every DS9 episode.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't know what Bones personality is but working backwards from Pulaski I don't like him

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arivia posted:

To respond to this, no I don’t think Dax is a GREAT example of a trans character. However, the whole “oh uh last time I knew this person I had a different name/body/gender” thing is a legit social problem for a lot of trans folks, and Dax was a pretty big inspiration for many nerdy trans girls, so it makes sense to “claim” her as trans. Basically don’t put Dax on a list of Good Trans Characters In Media but if a trans person goes for it it makes sense. I don’t think Sean is being performative or wrong there.

Thanks for the response. poo poo has changed so much since the 90s, but probably nothing more than how we conceive of and talk about gender, and not just in terms of transness. You watch something like The Outcast and you know their hearts were in the right place, but it's still largely heteronormative and somewhat old fashioned with respect to gender roles. So you watch DS9 and Sisko is calling Dax "old man" and it's supposed to be a heartwarming connection between them which I feel but I watch this and think, "Does a trans viewer see that and consider that a form of deadnaming?" I don't think the show intends it that way at all, but it's different now and you have to be sensitive to those differences in a way shows, even from ten years ago weren't.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Khanstant posted:

I don't know what Bones personality is but working backwards from Pulaski I don't like him

Basically surly an cynical and quick to drop a sick burn on basically anyone, especially Spock, but a healer at his core who tries to make others around him whole again, even at cost to himself at times.

They tried to go for the McCoy-Spock relationship with Pulaski and Data, but they forgot that McCoy at least respected Spock at the end of the day and the Spock could give as good as he got, whereas Pulaski was just dunking on Data non stop without repost, so it came across as bullying. As a result, McCoy is a beloved piece of Star Trek history, and Pulaski is erased from canon more often than a Star Trek: Picard side character when the camera moves off of them for more than a minute.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Bones was also the emotional one of the kirk-mccoy-spock trio. He would stand up for what felt right in the moment, even if it didn't serve the greater good. Crusher inherited that role to some extent.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

bones also very clearly actually cared about spock, although he'd never admit it in front of him. with pulaski it's more like eventual begrudging respect, we don't see her privately wish him good luck on a mission or something

i always figured spock was able to tell that mccoy didn't actually hate him anyway. i'm not sure data could

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Watching chronologically gonna be weird seeing Spock go through all his character development and get in touch with his human side and have these love affairs and then go back to old stuff TOS Spock. If they decide not to roll on through and remake TOS, wonder if they'll do something to Spock to bridge the gap.

Edit: Oh yeah Kirk is fully here now too lol.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Pulaski developed some of that respect over the course of Season 2, as was pointed out. It's possible that would have continued had Muldaur stayed with the show and the relationship would have been remembered differently. She's a strong enough actor that it could have played out very nicely.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Watching chronologically gonna be weird seeing Spock go through all his character development and get in touch with his human side and have these love affairs and then go back to old stuff TOS Spock. If they decide not to roll on through and remake TOS, wonder if they'll do something to Spock to bridge the gap.

Edit: Oh yeah Kirk is fully here now too lol.

SNW :spock: and TOS :spock: actually gel rather well together because SNW Spock is still this dopey goofus barely out of college who has a lot of learning and growing up to do and TOS Spock is a grown rear end man who's like 90% of the way to being the man he was meant to be, while also still being a massive dork from time to time.

Like, seriously, Spock is TOS's primary source of comedy a lot of the time just like he is on SNW.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, the thing with TOS Spock is that we the audience don’t know about his more human traits, and are surprised when they come out. But to him, they’re accepted and integrated and he’s more comfortable with himself than ever. SNW Spock is very much leading into that.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

why is kirk even showing up on pike's enterprise? i thought kirk says in "the menagerie" that they hadn't really met, just (apparently briefly) when pike got a promotion

i mean, i know we already saw him in "a quality of mercy", but that was the future and didn't actually happen from kirk's perspective

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 27, 2023

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

zoux posted:

Thanks for the response. poo poo has changed so much since the 90s, but probably nothing more than how we conceive of and talk about gender, and not just in terms of transness. You watch something like The Outcast and you know their hearts were in the right place, but it's still largely heteronormative and somewhat old fashioned with respect to gender roles. So you watch DS9 and Sisko is calling Dax "old man" and it's supposed to be a heartwarming connection between them which I feel but I watch this and think, "Does a trans viewer see that and consider that a form of deadnaming?" I don't think the show intends it that way at all, but it's different now and you have to be sensitive to those differences in a way shows, even from ten years ago weren't.

Just piggybacking off this as another trans/gq individual, I've never thought of "old man" as a deadnaming thing, just something that really showed how close the two of them were in a shorthand fashion. Jadzia was never shy about asserting herself if she thought she was being disrespected or could correct someone (see again, "kurzon!" "it's jadzia" "jadzia!"), but not once does she do anything but bust Sisko's balls about what's clearly a longtime nickname between them, and I feel like her response to it just meant "Yeah, he's showing nothing has changed between them, and she's fine with that". But also... loving anything from the 90s is wild about gender and I would take 100 Star Treks swinging and whiffing in that period over a lot of media in the same era.

I'm going somewhere with this next bit, I promise.

There's a podcast called Gayest Episode Ever that covers 'the queer episodes' of sitcoms, and a lot of what they do at the start of every episode is go "this was the time it came out in, this is where the show ranked in the ratings, this was what aired near it" and give you a context for what anything looked like around it. Sometimes this serves to point out "yeah, they were aiming for a positive message but they didn't know they didn't know", sometimes it's "Holy poo poo, they did WHAT in the 2000s?", but there are a lot of weird little foibles it's pointed out over time about trans people and gender identity especially in media. A recent episode touched on a (first season!) Two and a Half Men episode about a trans male character, and they made a comment that in all of their research, this was the second sitcom they'd ever seen touch on one, the first episode doing such was in the 80s, and... that was it. That was all they had for representation in the realm of TV comedy, which tends to be a lot more broad and far-reaching than any dramas or prestige shows might carry a message.

Star Trek tried and did pretty okay for the time it was on, but that message basically only went to a specific segment of the population, and arguably, in the most popular era Trek ever had in terms of viewership. Then I think about how running beside it you had things like no less than two sitcoms doing "my best friend from out of town came back and they're a HOT GIIIIIIRL? WHAAAAAAAAA?" episodes that I know of, or that a decade later, two other shows which I still like would take attempts to do a "positive" trans character or episode and still gently caress it up, or... So yeah, Dax is a bit of a flop as a 1:1 trans allegory, but she's by no means a shameful attempt, and I think anyone trying to poo poo on the character for "doing it wrong" would make me madder than the character existing. I hate that poo poo. I didn't start transition for a large part of my life because so much of the narrative around being trans in media was that you had to be a specific kind of miserable and hate how you looked and and and... and I was just like... functionally numb. More rep, different rep, I'm all for that poo poo. Some trans folks would give just as good as they get with ribbing, some want nothing more than to be stealth and let nobody ever know, and all sorts of poo poo in between.

I think I lost the plot somewhere in the middle of writing this but I hope to christ it came off as useful to answer your questions?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

i think what works with Dax is that she's not really a trans allegory but she comes from a similar place of examining the difference between self identity and body. It ages better than a lot of other takes because it's not a fumbling now-cringy attempt at dealing with real issues with only crude understanding.

also tbh i think "Spock dealing with his Human side" is getting to be way over done. TV is full of humans. I would like some vulcans plz

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

also tbh i think "Spock dealing with his Human side" is getting to be way over done. TV is full of humans. I would like some vulcans plz

SNW showed with T’Pring that Vulcans are kinky maniacs

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I have Lower Decks on right now as background and man, I really want to play Klingon D&D.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

I'd be nice to have T'pol come back she would still be around in SNW

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'm a generally sheltered middle-aged cis guy whose exposure to trans folks mostly consists of a Q&A session at my local BDSM club, which had two hosts, one who transitioned in each direction.

I learned a lot at that session, but one impression that I took away is that Trekkies ought to have an easier time with trans issues because we've previously encountered Curzon's transition into Jadzia.

Perhaps I was a little too optimistic.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Beeftweeter posted:

why is kirk even showing up on pike's enterprise? i thought kirk says in "the menagerie" that they hadn't really met, just (apparently briefly) when pike got a promotion

i mean, i know we already saw him in "a quality of mercy", but that was the future and didn't actually happen from kirk's perspective

Along the same lines, it's pretty clearly implied in "Amok Time" that Spock and T'Pring haven't met since the betrothal, but SNW has them as regular fuckbuddies.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Angry Salami posted:

Along the same lines, it's pretty clearly implied in "Amok Time" that Spock and T'Pring haven't met since the betrothal, but SNW has them as regular fuckbuddies.

I think SNW has managed to thread the needle fairly deftly for the most part in terms of chucking out bits of canon like that in the name of doing fun and interesting things with the characters. If it stuck rigidly to canon, we wouldn't have gotten Spock Amok which is a contender for a top ten all time Trek episode.

The SNW crew has earned my trust at this point with whatever the hell they want to do with Kirk from here onward.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Angry Salami posted:

SNW is a Disco spinoff and therefore super obviously happening in an alternate timeline, and Akiva Goldsman can kiss my rear end.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

McSpanky posted:

SNW is a Disco spinoff and therefore super obviously happening in an alternate timeline, and Akiva Goldsman can kiss my rear end.

Everything I don’t like is actually an arbitrarily alternate timeline and therefore

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I don't think dax is technically trans but it was a chance to explore issues related to it on early 90s tv

case in point the relationship between jadzia and lenara in "rejoined" which I just watched and is now also making me have a little cry on my morning trek watch goddamn

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Everything I don’t like is actually an arbitrarily alternate timeline and therefore

legit the best way to watch Star Trek or Star Wars

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

:hai:

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Or the news

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

inside of a decade people are gonna be rendering whatever episodes of whatever they like anyway they like and canon as we know it will crumple into a little dried out turd like the caretaker

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What exactly is arbitrary about this?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CainFortea posted:

What exactly is arbitrary about this?

What isn’t arbitrary about “I don’t like [thing], therefore it’s no longer part of official canon”?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
if we all have to pretend TOS and picard-prequel are canon, you can suck it up for SNW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What isn’t arbitrary about “I don’t like [thing], therefore it’s no longer part of official canon”?

So, you don't know what the word arbitrary means. Got it!