Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

While I generally hate Roddenberry's insistence on making Star Trek a completely boring utopia and note that the movies where he is least involved are the best

Roddenberry had literally zero involvement in the movies after The Motion Picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WickedHate posted:

And his lawyer.

Yeah, Gene had really lost the plot by the time that TNG was being developed (a series of strokes and three decades of drinking and drugging will do that to you) but by all accounts, Leonard Maizlish was the real monster on the set -- sitting in on creative meetings, writing script notes under Roddenberry's name, loving with the directors during shoots, etc. I think he might be the only person involved in early TNG more hated than Maurice Hurley.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I can't remember if it was that flick, or Joel Engel's book, that pointed out that TNG went through something like 35+ writers in that first year.

It was Engel. What I really appreciate about that book is that while it was very, very harsh on Roddenberry, it wasn't a hatchet job -- he had direct sources and quotes for just about everything, which made Susan Sackett's tantrum about it all the more embarrassing.

My sense is that Shatner has calmed down a lot from his 110% prima donna act. He still apparently does not get along with George Takei.

He never reconciled with Doohan before his death, and Nichols, Takei and Koenig still infamously hate him. There's an anecdote about a picture that he, Doohan and Koenig took on the bridge of the Enterprise-B, holding hands and grinning; Koenig quipped something along the lines of, "Any picture of the three of us holding hands must be worth $500. Signed, five thousand."

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 7, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WickedHate posted:

What book was this? I wanna read it.

Gene Roddenberry: The Myth and the Man Behind Star Trek. Very highly recommended; it does a good takedown job of some of the urban legends that Roddenberry liked to tell about himself (like single-handedly saving the passengers in a Pan-Am crash, or showing up as a police officer in a bar to scare the poo poo out of an agent so he'd read a script).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WickedHate posted:

Hah! I saw a really schmaltzy comic about that on tumblr and it felt like bullshit.

It was probably the one that The Oatmeal did last year. Literally the only sources that back it up are Shatner's Star Trek Memories (which is full of poo poo anyway) and the "authorized" biography of Roddenberry, heavily sanitized, by David Alexander that came out in like 1994 or 1995. I tweeted at Matthew Inman that the story was horseshit and he blocked me.

Timby fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 8, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HIJK posted:

I was so sad when that comic turned out to be based on a lie. Why you gotta be like this Roddenberry :smithcloud:

Dude loved having a cult of personality around himself. And he never liked to lose. I think it's in Inside Star Trek that Doohan tells a story about a weekly poker game held at Bill Campbell's house, and one night Roddenberry got in the hole to the tune of like three thousand bucks, and he kept on fighting to keep playing, until Campbell said something like, "Gene, shut the gently caress up, this is my house, and if I say we forgive the debt, then we forgive the debt."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cross-posting from CineD -- just as a heads-up for everyone, Beyond had its premiere in Sydney last night, so I would expect spoilers to be hitting the Internet sooner rather than later.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HIJK posted:

I'm a little baffled as to why the TNG crew got movies besides "successful tv show." Otherwise we should have gotten the DS9 spy thriller we deserved :(

DS9 was hardly "successful." It's the best Trek television show, by far, but no one watched it.

Platonicsolid posted:

Paramount wanted a pile of :10bux:

Also, Paramount wanted to move the cast over to movies, because everyone's contracts were up after Season 7, and Stewart and Spiner especially would have been grossly expensive to book for filming ten months out of the year again. And really, at that point, Trek movies were a cheap way to pick up $40 million or so in profit.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gammatron 64 posted:

In fact, I'm pretty sure that nobody realized DS9 was good until Netflix became a thing.

The only people who could legitimately think this must have been born in, like, 1997.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gammatron 64 posted:

I was born in '87 but didn't really see DS9 a lot when it aired.

That's what I meant by "no one watched it." The viewership was so low in the early goings that the syndicates just bounced it around its timeslots. I remember one of the season premieres aired in Chicago at midnight on WGN.

Edit: I remember, it was The Way of the Warrior. The premiere of a season that was literally make-or-break for the show and it aired on loving midnight, on a Saturday, in one of the country's biggest markets.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 11, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So one relatively big spoiler about the end of Beyond has hit, corroborated by multiple sources (no, it's not about a character death):

They do get an NCC-1701-A to continue the five-year mission. However, it's almost identical to the slightly refitted Constitution-class that we already see in the beginning of the film, with a slightly darker paint job and a few cosmetic changes here and there.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

All the Picard love-life episodes are tied for The Worst.

Hey, hey, now. Don't you go talking poo poo on The Inner Light.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Firebert posted:

I thought the episode where Picard has a fling with the stellar cartography officer was cute as well, idk :shrug:

That episode is hilarious for the part when Picard goes to Troi about his relationship with Daren, thinking it could be inappropriate, and she's all, "Professional ethics :lol:? Keep bangin' on, bangin' on your drum."

Like, every corporate HR department in America should show that episode when the concept of "fraternization between co-workers" in the employee handbook comes up.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 11, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gammatron 64 posted:

You know the one. It's the one.

KHAAAAAANNNNNN

No, I'm sorry, the Alice Eve "turn around" scene is about a hundred times worse.

I know I've said before that I like Into Darkness quite a bit, and a lot of my problems with it come from the incidental dialogue.

(After the Vengeance goes ham)
:clint: Where's the damage?
:pseudo: Major hull damage, Captain.

Thanks, jackwagon, very descriptive.

Or, when RoboCop gives the orders Khan threatens to blow the shout out of the drifting Enterprise:

:doom: I will target your aft nacelle.

WHAT THE gently caress IS AN AFT NACELLE

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 12, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gammatron 64 posted:

You know the one. It's the one.

KHAAAAAANNNNNN

I think I might unironically like Star Trek V and Generations more than Into Darkness. Insurrection and Nemesis, I dunno, but maybe.

V and large parts of Generations are far, far superior to most of the Trek movies thus far.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

It still boggles my mind that they couldn't be bothered to have consistent uniforms either....rather than get a whole new set of the DS9 version uniforms, they had like half TNG ones and half DS9. So lazy.

Basically, it was because they didn't have the money after blowing the costume budget on the new uniforms that they trashed at the last minute. So Spiner and Stewart were the only two to have uniforms specifically tailored for them. Frakes wore stuff from Avery Brooks' wardrobe (which didn't fit at all, hence why Riker's sleeves are rolled up) and Burton was wearing Colm Meaney's stuff, which also didn't fit at all.

Gaz-L posted:

Weren't they supposed to be attachment points for seat harnesses?

They were supposed to be "bio-force monitors."

Payndz posted:

It's worth getting the Cinefex app to read the old issues about TMP (and VFX of that era in general), because it's far more interesting seeing how much of a struggle it was to get anything on screen in the days of motion control and photochemical bluescreen than "we shot live elements on a green stage with motion-tracking markers and comped them together on a PC".

If you want to read something incredibly in-depth about TMP's production -- I mean so in-depth it makes the Cinefex articles look like broad abstracts -- pick up Return to Tomorrow: The Production of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Preston Neal Jones was given unfettered access to everyone involved, and the book covers literally everything: Pre-production and writing, filming, and the third section is like 100+ pages of ultra-detailed information about all the VFX work. Like, there will be six paragraphs about how a single two-second shot was accomplished. It was originally intended as a cover story for CFQ, they killed the story, and then last year Jones decided to release his entire manuscript.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo, fold down breast flap???

Yep. They basically married the TNG uniforms with aspects of the movie uniforms -- the breast flap, rank stripes on the wrists. You can briefly see it in a deleted scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEaR1rkhy00

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Was it a case of them not looking right on film or something?

Supposedly the decision came from on high -- like, above Berman -- that the new uniforms would have constituted introducing "too many new elements" to the film. :jerkbag:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cojawfee posted:

What if the "clones" were the real crew members who were sedated and the other ones were the clones thinking they were the originals and they choose to kill what they think are clones.

You just wrote a Metal Gear Solid plot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Holy poo poo, a copy of the blueprints from Theiss? God drat.

Theiss and Cawley became really close friends. I believe a number of other pieces -- fabric swatches / uniform patterns and some other things -- were actually gifted to Cawley in Theiss's will.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Baronjutter posted:

Hi co-stars sadly aren't posting in this thread, I was hoping for some good "shatner is an rear end in a top hat" anecdotes people know.

On the set of the Original Series, Shatner was constantly trying to take dialogue away from his co-stars, saying stuff like, "Uhura doesn't need to say that, it's totally extraneous." Basically, he was extremely sensitive about losing the spotlight (which also led to a lot of tension between him and Nimoy, particularly when Nimoy's fan mail started outnumbering Shatner's by like 10:1). Doohan in particular infamously hated him and they never reconciled before his passing.

Shatner was also a pill to a lot of his directors.

Also, his books -- Star Trek Memories and Star Trek Movie Memories -- are basically full of poo poo outside of the direct interview quotations.

quote:

I'd also love some "crazy gene" stories if possible! I know he was quite the womanizer and horn dog but that' about it.

I've recommended it in this thread before, but Gene Roddenberry: The Myth and the Man Behind Star Trek by Joel Engel is pretty much essential reading. But a few choice anecdotes:

- He wrote meaningless lyrics to the Original Series theme to take royalties away from Sandy Courage

- He screwed David Gerrold out of credit for much of the creation of The Next Generation, even though Gerrold was responsible for almost all of the initial writers' bible

- Pissed off over being kicked upstairs and removed from all executive control over the movies, he leaked Spock's death, the destruction of the Enterprise, and the plan to move everyone over to the Excelsior to the fanzines

- After discovering LSD he became increasingly erratic and abusive to everyone around him (the cocaine and alcohol didn't help)

- He was notoriously cruel to his family

- He was a pathological liar who downplayed the contributions of basically everyone else who made Star Trek actually happen (Bob Justman, Wah Chang, Gene Coon, Matt Jeffries, etc.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gammatron 64 posted:

I've also heard rumors that Gene sexually assaulted Grace Lee Whitney (Yeoman Rand) and that led to her departure from the show but I don't have any evidence to back it up.

Whitney always said it was a Desilu executive who raped her.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Baronjutter posted:

What went down with Doctor Crusher and some sexual harassment or something in early TNG? I heard something about her leaving the show because after accusing someone of sexual harassment they made her feel so uncomfortable she had to leave, or they forced her out or something, but then her harasser leaving the show so she came back?

Writer / producer Maurice Hurley sexually harassed McFadden throughout the first season and made her life hell after she refused his advances. Hurley quit / was "let go" after the second season and Berman personally reached out to McFadden to invite her back.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Ah, I just assumed it was Gene. Because you know... knowing Roddenberry and his history.... I wouldn't exactly put it past him....

Roddenberry was definitely a horndog and he'd do his best to nail anything with two legs, but I just don't see him being a rapist, especially considering that in the '60s, TV executives -- like those at Desilu -- weren't exactly champions of gender equality. If Whitney said it was a Desilu exec, I'm inclined to take her at her word, especially since she had 24 years and a book released in the time after Gene's passing to say, "Yep, by the way, Gene raped me."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gammatron 64 posted:

If it weren't for Nemesis I guess the whole "odd Star Trek movies bad, even ones good" rule would still be in effect.

That rule has never been in effect, since The Motion Picture and The Final Frontier are both great.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'm willing to overlook some of the cringe-worthy parts of The Final Frontier (but there aren't many) considering David Loughery had less than a month to write the script.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

We should be getting All Access casting info from SDCC this weekend, right? Fuller tweeted a pic of the new (unupholstered) captain's chair a few days ago.

I would presume we'll get something. They're planning to premiere in January so given the effects work they'll have to start shooting within the next month or so.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

cenotaph posted:

I watched Final Frontier for the first time a few days ago and I figured there had to be some kind of drama about the writing.

Basically, Shatner, Bennett and Loughery had broken a second draft of the story and then the Writers Guild went on strike. Loughery had literally a month to actually write the script before the location shooting started in October of 1988 because they had to meet the June '89 release date. And, of course, right before filming started, the Teamsters went on strike, which made location shooting a massive in the rear end.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh, for Christ's sake. It's a four-second throwaway bit. It's not like they had an entire subplot of the movie devoted to Sulu trying to save his husband or whatever.

Treating it as casually as they did is the best thing that Lin, Pegg and Jung could have done.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HD DAD posted:

Also, just to remind everyone that we're supposedly getting the first official details on the new Trek series today.

It was announced yesterday that David Semel is directing the pilot, which is ... well, not particularly exciting, but I suppose he's competent enough.

Auron posted:

I want more starships in my spaceship movie, give us an Excelsior or something

To hell with the Excelsior, it's ugly. (Honestly, as much as I criticize Nimoy as being a bland director, him deciding to go totally hands-off on the production design and letting ILM do everything on their own on The Search for Spock is one of his biggest sins, considering once they took over the ship and prop designs just kept getting worse and worse.)

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 23, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Excelsior is an ugly whale of a ship with misplaced Art Deco elements, a nonsensical drive section with stubby nacelle pylons, and an undersized saucer. It's hideous, and that's without even mentioning the bizarre teal and charcoal color scheme.

gently caress the Excelsior.

Don't forget that much of its design was driven by Ken Ralston flat-out hating working with the Constitution Refit model that Doug Trumbull built.

Baronjutter posted:

Also did we really see any of these in the dominion war?

Unless I'm forgetting something, the only time we see an Ambassador-class in DS9 is briefly in Emissary.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So the Axanar jackwagons hijacked a panel at SDCC.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

It's Richard Hatch, does anything this man does shock anyone these days?

Considering he basically blackmailed his way onto the BSG reboot ... no, not really.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I believe the 50th anniversary panel starts in about two minutes and goes for an hour. We should be getting some announcements very very soon.

Loath as I am to suggest people read his poo poo, but Devin Faraci is live-tweeting the panel.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jesus. An hour-long panel and the only information about the new series was that it will be serialized, not episodic, and a title: Star Trek Discovery. The rest of it was Shatner, Spiner, Dorn, Bakula and Ryan just patting each other on the back.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jesus, that's an ugly ship. Looks like they drew inspiration from Ralph McQuarrie's rejected design from Planet of the Titans.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Thom12255 posted:

It makes me think that CBS is giving them barely any money to do anything.

I've assumed this to be the case ever since it was announced to be exclusive to All Access.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maybe they can get Andy Probert on the phone and have him whip something up to salvage that ... that thing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'm still stunned there weren't any casting announcements. They've got to start shooting in, like, six weeks at the latest to make their premiere date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think they said it was test footage, which makes more sense. The CGI is one of the last things they would be doing.

Yeah, but even for test footage that was rough. If all you've got is 90 seconds of garbage, don't show the garbage, just announce the title and logo and be done with it.